Corriere Della Sera

http://living.corriere.it/lifestyle/tendenze/2015/studio-job-stage-design-for-mika-50619698576.shtml

Studio Job canta con Mika

Testo Lea Anouchinsky - Foto SetVexy

Scenografie post-industriali, maxi strobo e insegne oversize. Il palco di Heaven, nuovo tour della popstar britannica, è firmato dalla ‘coppia d’oro’ del design internazionale

Un vero lavoro di sound design quello che il duo belga Job Smeets e Nynke Tynagel, in arte Studio Job, hanno realizzato per Mika, stella della musica internazionale, in tour fino a metà ottobre. “Per il progetto siamo partiti dal titolo del suo ultimo album, No Place In Heaven, e abbiamo creato delle scenografie volutamente ambigue: a un primo colpo d'occhio sembrano cartoon allegri e colorati ma, guardati con maggiore attenzione, rivelano messaggi decisamente più seri, quasi degli avvertimenti.

Non è un caso che la prima collaborazione dei due designer sia stata proprio con il cantautore anglo-libanese. “Siamo amici da anni e condividiamo la stessa idea di creatività. Cerchiamo entrambi di essere una voce fuori dal coro, ciascuno nel proprio campo. Abbiamo progettato per la moda, per l’arte e l’architettura. La musica è la nostra passione, dire sì alla proposta di Mika è stata la cosa più naturale del mondo!” affermano, entusiasti di un tour che li ha portati sui palchi più celebri del mondo.

E le ultime date dello show, il 17 ottobre a Parigi e il 18 a Londra, sono, ovviamente, da mettere in agenda.

1. Original (2000 x 1333) https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/777/22029775731_659e0443e6_o.jpg

22029775731_b0fff12031_b.jpg

1. Original (2000 x 1333) https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5622/21832965329_9f5b597d7b_o.jpg

21832965329_28c06d2637_b.jpg

1. Original (4961 x 3508) https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/771/22019907615_78e9fd6342_o.jpg

22019907615_8dd18e7573_b.jpg

1. Original (2000 x 1333) https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5759/21397116394_84d889cf7f_o.jpg

21397116394_916ca1ca0b_b.jpg

• Like 1

designboom

http://www.designboom.com/design/studio-job-stage-set-mika-10-07-2015/

21831682020_72d843b859_b.jpg

studio job dreams up technicolor stage set for mika's 'no place in heaven' tour

after taking a visit to the antwerp studio of studio job a few years ago, mika became fascinated with the design work that founder job meets, leading designer nynke tynagel, and their team of young craftsman and artists were producing. so much so that the musician then invited smeets to collaborate with him on the creative aspects of his upcoming album and scenographic elements of his ‘no place in heaven’ tour, thus marking studio job’s first music project.

22007557092_1dfa454966_b.jpg

‘no place in heaven’ stage set in brussels
photo by loek blonk

mika’s live shows are typically fantastical experiences that are charged with technicolor pop and dynamic theatrics. smeets translates these aspects with gargantuan visionary drawings that visualize mika’s music, forming a large part of the stage set design for the british-based singer’s tour. projecting a cynical but humorous feel, industrial smoke stacks, a hungry great shark and a sinking ship set the scene, decorated by some out-of-this world objects to animate the performances.

22029714031_a3818f9863_b.jpg

job smeets of studio job performing with mika at the brussels show

the icing on the cake is the grand finale which sees a gigantic crystal globe made from a million swarovski crystals. taking about one year to construct, the resulting glittering sphere is a showstopper that transforms the concert into an art disco.

21398684973_5332cf3ac8_b.jpg
the stage set offers up large, fantastical drawings by job smeets

21398685453_5ca11d1a02_b.jpg

mika performing live in amsterdam

21831683590_28fe7bea6b_b.jpg

the scenography of the stage set is cynical, but humorous

21398686213_670ae06c35_b.jpg

mika up front and centre in brussels

21993651756_bc23f338e5_b.jpg

mika closing a show

22007560152_b0dbf78084_b.jpg

the grand finale which sees a gigantic crystal globe made from a million swarovski crystals

21831997738_9fa1617d86_b.jpg

stage set by studio job for mika’s ‘no place in heaven’ european tour

photo by set vexy

post-18723-0-60183900-1444228087_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-30128000-1444228117_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-80407500-1444228120_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-47393900-1444228276_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-07370600-1444252673_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-00000800-1444252720_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-44514300-1444252752_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-46865900-1444252784_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-84889900-1444252838_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-70565800-1444252909_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

thanks for this thread! i've been wanting to open one since i saw the amazing stage set in paris, but didn't have time yet.

btw,i asked him in zurich after the show, whether the stage set wozuld be there in london. but he didn't talk to save hisvoice,and i couldn't interpret his look. it was neither a yes nor a no tho. could be anything from "you'll see", "maybe" to "partly". :teehee:

was there any interview yet where he talks about the meaning of all these elements? anyway, after seeing the show, i came up with an interpretation, and would love to know what everyone else interprets into this setting.

i think the caravan represents mika's life. caravan for a nomad, turning into an organ for a musician, and then the things coming out from the top, i guess they all are - or at some point were - part of his life... tho i can't recognize what they all stand for. the gas mask might stand for his smells collection, or for the war in lebanon (tho i suppose the former, because the front part looks like a piece of lemon, and there are other elements like the cannon, that refer to war more clearly), the animal skull for his taxidermy collection. taking poison might refer to the times in his teenage years when he thought about suicide, and the pills and injection part... well, not sure i want to know what's behind that, if it really refers to mika's life... :aah:

anyway, on the caravan it says "paradise" - his own life with all its good and bad sides is paradise for him. the background with all these dark pictures might represent hell. in the middle of it, there's this gate, with the text "heaven" above - is it the gate to heaven tho, or the gate to hell? maybe mika wants to leave this open to interpretation, because heaven and hell might mean sth very different for different people. or it just means that often heaven and hell lie close together. or that you have to go through hell to get to heaven? :dunno: the glitter ball with the countries on it probably represents the world/earth and everyone who lives in/on it.

but well, that's just my interpretation... which is yours? ;)

thanks for this thread! i've been wanting to open one since i saw the amazing stage set in paris, but didn't have time yet.

btw,i asked him in zurich after the show, whether the stage set wozuld be there in london. but he didn't talk to save hisvoice,and i couldn't interpret his look. it was neither a yes nor a no tho. could be anything from "you'll see", "maybe" to "partly". :teehee:

was there any interview yet where he talks about the meaning of all these elements? anyway, after seeing the show, i came up with an interpretation, and would love to know what everyone else interprets into this setting.

i think the caravan represents mika's life. caravan for a nomad, turning into an organ for a musician, and then the things coming out from the top, i guess they all are - or at some point were - part of his life... tho i can't recognize what they all stand for. the gas mask might stand for his smells collection, or for the war in lebanon (tho i suppose the former, because the front part looks like a piece of lemon, and there are other elements like the cannon, that refer to war more clearly), the animal skull for his taxidermy collection. taking poison might refer to the times in his teenage years when he thought about suicide, and the pills and injection part... well, not sure i want to know what's behind that, if it really refers to mika's life... :aah:

anyway, on the caravan it says "paradise" - his own life with all its good and bad sides is paradise for him. the background with all these dark pictures might represent hell. in the middle of it, there's this gate, with the text "heaven" above - is it the gate to heaven tho, or the gate to hell? maybe mika wants to leave this open to interpretation, because heaven and hell might mean sth very different for different people. or it just means that often heaven and hell lie close together. or that you have to go through hell to get to heaven? :dunno: the glitter ball with the countries on it probably represents the world/earth and everyone who lives in/on it.

but well, that's just my interpretation... which is yours? ;)

Mika talks a bit about the Heaven and in this interview. It's short but very interesting.

le Populaire

http://www.lepopulaire.fr/limousin/actualite/2015/10/06/rencontre-avec-mika-en-concert-au-zenith-de-limoges-le-13-octobre_11611884.html

06/10/15 - 12h07

Rencontre avec Mika, en concert au Zénith de Limoges le 13 octobre

Mika sera le 13 octobre au Zénith de Limoges. Avant de partir en tournée, il nous a accordé une interview. Il évoque son spectacle et parle aussi des migrants.

translation by google

Meeting with Mika in concert at Zenith Limoges October 13

Mika will be Oct. 13 at the Zenith in Limoges. Before going on tour, he gave us an interview. He talks about his show and also speaks of migrants.

Quelle est la forme du spectacle qui sera présenté à Limoges ?

Je voulais quelque chose de beau, de spectaculaire. Mais je me suis imposé une certaine limite. Je ne veux ni écran LED, ni projection vidéo. Je souhaite faire un show basé essentiellement sur la musique, mais en utilisant des techniques très anciennes.

What is the form of the show that will be presented in Limoges?

I wanted something beautiful, spectacular. But I have imposed upon myself a certain limit. I will neither LED screen or video projection. I want to do a show based mainly on music, but using ancient techniques.

Moderne et traditionnel en quelque sorte ? 

Exactement. Le spectacle s'appelle Heaven. Paradis en anglais. Je me retrouve avec une caravane des années quatre-vingt, dans le style de celle de Breaking Bad, en plus jolie. Petit à petit elle se transforme en un théâtre imaginaire. On évolue entre le rêve et le cauchemar, entre le paradis et l'enfer. Nous ne sommes que six sur scène, mais le projet est ambitieux.

Modern and traditional in some way?

Exactly. The show is called Heaven. Paradise in English. I end up with a caravan of the eighties, in the style of that of Breaking Bad, and more pretty. Gradually it turns into an imaginary theater. One evolves between dream and nightmare, between heaven and hell. We are only six on stage, but the project is ambitious.

Avez-vous dessiné les décors ?

Oui. Dans ma cuisine avec la complicité des studios Job, qui sont connus dans le milieu du design. Puis, grâce à une fan sur Twitter, j'ai rencontré une troupe de théâtre de rue installée à Bologne. Ils m'ont aidé à fabriquer le show.

Do you draw the sets?

Yes I do. In my kitchen with the complicity of Studio Job, which are known in the design community. Then, thanks to a fan on Twitter, I met a street theater company based in Bologna. They helped me to make the show.

Votre présence dans l'émission The Voice ne vous a-t-elle pas éloigné de la scène ?

Je n'ai jamais arrêté de faire des concerts. Je jouais dans des salles plus petites. L'habillage était certes plus modeste. Mais je n'ai jamais arrêté de chanter, notamment en Asie et aux États-Unis. Mais là, je me consacre uniquement à la tournée.

Your presence on the show The Voice did not you away from the scene?

I never stopped doing concerts. I was playing in smaller venues. The buildup was certainly more modest. But I never stopped singing, especially in Asia and the United States. But then, I devote myself solely to the tour.

Vous avez été le premier à repérer dans The Voice Kendji Girac. Qu'est-ce qui vous a plu chez cet artiste ?

Ce mix entre le choix de la chanson Bella de Maître Gimms, sa voix très pure, et la façon dont il s'est approprié ce titre. J'étais très curieux de me retourner car, musicalement, son interprétation me parlait.

You were the first to spot in The Voice kendji girac. What did you like in this artist?

This mix between the choice of the song Bella de Maître Gimms Kendji Girac | "Bella" de Maitre Gims (cover)

, his very pure voice and the way he has appropriated the title. I was very curious to turn around because musically, his interpretation was talking to me.

Vous restez attentif à l'évolution de sa carrière ?

Oui ! Je sais qu'il prépare un nouvel album. Il n'arrête pas. Et son succès est largement mérité.

You remain attentive to the evolution of his career?

Yes ! I know that preparing a new album. It does not stop. And its success is well deserved.

Jusqu'à présent vous étiez discret sur votre vie privée. Mais depuis quelque temps vous n'êtes pas avare de confidences. Est-ce un besoin pour vous de vous dévoiler ?

Il faut se dévoiler, se montrer généreux, ne pas avoir peur, dans le contexte d'une émission, de dire des choses tout en restant discret. C'est une manière pour moi d'être à l'aise, de me libérer pour mieux me concentrer sur l'essentiel : la musique.

Until now you were discreet about your privacy. But for some time you are not short on confidence. Is it a need for you to reveal?

We must disclose, be generous, do not be afraid, in the context of a program, saying things while remaining discreet. It is a way for me to be comfortable, to release me to better focus on the essential: the music.

Lorsque vous avez révélé votre homosexualité, les réactions familiales ont-elles été violentes comme l'ont dit certains magazines ? 

Pas violentes ! Nous nous respectons trop pour ça. Il y a beaucoup d'humanité dans nos relations. Mais ils ont pris le temps.

When you have set your homosexuality, the reactions of family were they violent as some people have said magazines?

Not violent! We respect each other too much for that. There's a lot of humanity in our relationships. But they took the time.

La première guerre du golfe a fait du mal à votre famille… 

Oui. La guerre détruit tout, même les familles.

The first Gulf War has harmed your family ...

Yes. War destroys everything, even families.

Vous qui avez fui le Liban à cause de la guerre du golfe, quel regard portez-vous sur les réfugiés ?

Ce problème dure depuis des années. Ce ne sont pas des migrants économiques mais des gens qui cherchent ailleurs la vie qui a été détruite chez eux. Ils veulent être protégés. Ils ont tout perdu. Il faut les aider. Je vis à Londres et je trouve que la Grande-Bretagne ne fait pas assez.

You who have fled Lebanon because of the Gulf War, what is your view on refugees?

This problem lasts for years. They are not economic migrants but also people seeking life that was destroyed home. They want to be protected. They lost everything. They need help. I live in London and I think Great-Britain is not doing enough.

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

Thanks for this eriko - hadn't seen it yet! So the caravan is not only a caravan and an organ, but also a theatre, i didn't get this connection yet! But sure, it makes sense, theatre plays a big role in mika's life as well - and there are those red curtains on the side when the caravan opens and turns into the organ.

• Like 1

DEZEEN magazine

dezeen.com/2015/10/06/

Studio Job creates "travelling circus" stage set for Mika tour using giant illustrations

For its first music project, Studio Job designed a stage set featuring oversized illustrations and a giant disco ball for British musician Mika's No Place In Heaven tour (+ slideshow).

PICS

Mika_Studio-Job_dezeen_936_6.jpg

The set's huge "fantastical" drawings depict everything from smoking chimneys, to the Titanic sinking and a giant shark emerging from the sea.

Mika_Studio-Job_dezeen_936_2.jpg

"I drew the No Place in Heaven illustrations specially for the set design, on tiny pieces of paper at Mika's kitchen table in London," said studio founder Job Smeets – who apparently met Mika while playing triangle during a recording session.

"After that they were scanned and blown up to gigantic proportions, and positioned together to get a classic 2D/3D composition with weird perspectives," he told Dezeen. "We were inspired by the set designs of David Hockney and other artists. It needed to be straight from the heart."

Mika_Studio-Job_dezeen_936_1.jpg

A caravan on the right-hand side of Mika's set is labelled Paradise in light-up signage, and has hidden sliding doors that open to reveal more illustrations, a niche that holds a keyboard, and a set of pipes that extend up and out of its roof.

Mika_Studio-Job_dezeen_936_3.jpg

Smeets also showed illustrations at the studio's recent Banana Show in Belgium – a solo exhibition of art and design which also included lights shaped like peeled bananas.

"We wanted a dull caravan that would explode into a bizarre carnivalesque mishmash," said Smeets, who told Dezeen that the set was designed in just 24 hours, and produced in two weeks.

Mika_Studio-Job_dezeen_936_8.jpg

For the grand finale of the show, a giant world globe covered in 500,000 crystals – all applied by hand – descends from the ceiling like a disco ball.

Mika_Studio-Job_dezeen_936_7.jpg

The entire stage set was designed to be easily transportable and, in the words of Smeets, "idiot-proof".

Mika_Studio-Job_dezeen_936_4.jpg

"Set design is so different from our normal, sculptural work," he added. "It's decor that needs to set up and put down many times. Basically it's a travelling circus."

Mika_Studio-Job_dezeen_936_9.jpg

Although this is its first foray into music, Studio Job is no stranger to designing scenography. The Belgium-based studio has created many catwalks for Dutch fashion house Viktor & Rolf.

Mika_Studio-Job_dezeen_936_0.jpg

Other recent projects include whimsical crystal-encrusted installation for Swarovski, and "rock and roll" garden furniture for Seletti.

Photography is by Set Vexy and Loek Blonk.

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1

Heaven Tour Intro.

Apart from "Li Beirut" by Fairouz, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", "Purple Rain" and "Le Soleil Noir" by Barbara, which is the other song by a man?

I know that voice sounds kind of familiar to me but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Maybe this was discussed in another thread I missed?

Anyone, please? :)

• Like 1

Heaven Tour Intro.

Apart from "Li Beirut" by Fairouz, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", "Purple Rain" and "Le Soleil Noir" by Barbara, which is the other song by a man?

I know that voice sounds kind of familiar to me but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Maybe this was discussed in another thread I missed?

Anyone, please? :)

In case anyone else wanted to know - "Le Tango Bleu" by Tino Rossi.

Thanks PurpleCat and Mika France! :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

RE-post from

AccorHotels Arena in Paris - FRANCE 27 May 2016 : Reports / Pics / Vids

Studio Job

http://ymlp.com/zBDY36

65bg_1MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg
Studio Job Art Directs MIKA’s Touring Live Show

65bg_2MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

After visiting Studio Job Gallery in Antwerp in 2013, Mika was fascinated with the work
that Studio Job had produced and reached out to Nynke and Job to work on the stage set
of his European arena tour No Place in Heaven in 2015.

65bg_3MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

Now, MIKA is another music-industry project Studio Job has undertaken
and features huge fantastical pieces, scenes and references.
Olympia & Jaques Brel, historical Paris and its unique architectural landmarks.

65bg_4MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

‘This project started around my kitchen table a few months ago.
Our dream was to build a show that can evolve and grow over time.
Like items from Alexander Calder’s circus, each set piece is meant to be something
iconic and that can make you smile. Job has a sense of vision and craft that is inspiring
and he does not compromise at all even when considering something that is a stage set.

65bg_5MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

To him a set on stage has to be as beautifully made and as complex as a sculpture
in a museum. That sense of detail and the loaded meaning of each piece really
communicates, especially on a such a large scale. It is a good fit, Job and I.

65bg_6MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

The mix of light and dark, Joy and sadness. Even when it looks like ecstatic fun,
the process behind is serious. I think that we compliment each other well
and bring out the good and, more importantly, also the bad.

65bg_7MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

Its one of the best collaborations I have ever had. These objects carry a lot of
emotion for me, and I think for Job also. I see it as a family of objects, one that
will continue to grow and evolve, as they already have over the past year.’
- Mika, London May 2016

65bg_8MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

Studio Job
Stage set design for Mika
Accor Arena Paris, 27 May 2016

Photo: Paolo de Francesco, Loek Blonk

• 2 weeks later...

Machine management

MACHINE MANAGEMENT

http://machinemanagement.co.uk/news/mika-studiojob

16 Jun

Studio Job Design Groundbreaking Set For Mika’s No Place In Heaven Tour

The Arena tour features an outstanding array of structures, props and references. Starting from an idea to build an evolving stage set, which grows over time, the design features pieces of monumental size and striking design, each as important to the performance as the last.

In reference to hi collaborator and friend, Studio Job, Mika discusses the importance of meticulous attention to detail; “To him a set on stage has to be as beautifully made and as complex as a sculpture in a museum. That sense of detail and the loaded meaning of each piece really communicates, especially on such a large scale. It is a good fit, Job and I.

Some of the stage pieces can be seen below.

attachicon.gif65bg_4MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

attachicon.gif65bg_3MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

attachicon.gif65bg_2MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

attachicon.gif65bg_5MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

attachicon.gif65bg_6MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

attachicon.gif65bg_7MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

attachicon.gif65bg_8MikaStudioJobStageSet2016.jpg

DOMUS

DOMUS

http://www.domusweb.it/en/design/2016/06/14/studio_job_mika.html#tw

Studio Job for Mika

The Antwerp and Amsterdam-based Studio Job realised a stage set design for Mika’s European tour featuring huge fantastical pieces, scenes and references.

Studio Job realised a stage set design for Mika’s European tour. It features huge fantastical pieces, scenes and references: Olympia & Jaques Brel, historical Paris and its unique architectural landmarks.

The singer and songwriter said:

“This project started around my kitchen table a few months ago. Our dream was to build a show that can evolve and grow over time.
 Like items from Alexander Calder’s circus, each set piece is meant to be something iconic and that can make you smile. Job has a sense of vision and craft that is inspiring and he does not compromise at all even when considering something that is a stage set. To him a set on stage has to be as beautifully made and as complex as a sculpture in a museum. That sense of detail and the loaded meaning of each piece really communicates, especially on a such a large scale.”

“The mix of light and dark, joy and sadness. Even when it looks like ecstatic fun, the process behind is serious. I think that we compliment each other well and bring out the good and, more importantly, also the bad. These objects carry a lot of emotion for me, and I think for Job also. I see it as a family of objects, one that will continue to grow and evolve, as they already have over the past year.”

Stage set design for Mika
Design: Studio Job
27 May 2016

attachicon.gifcq5dam.web.960.800.jpeg

attachicon.gifcq5dam.web.960.800-01.jpeg

attachicon.gifcq5dam.web.960.800-02.jpeg

attachicon.gifcq5dam.web.960.800-03.jpeg

attachicon.gifcq5dam.web.960.800-04.jpeg

attachicon.gifcq5dam.web.960.800-05.jpeg

attachicon.gifcq5dam.web.960.800-06.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Stasera Casa Mika : Stage set

Interview : Mika and Studio Job

http://www.coolhunting.com/design/stasera-casa-mika-tv-set

Pop star Mika's visual world is notoriously imaginative and bright, poetic and surreal. Unsurprisingly, his forthcoming TV show, “Stasera CasaMika,” boasts a set that truly embodies this wild, joyful universe. For this, Mika teamed up with Belgian art and design studio Studio Job, to envision and produce the set and props. One day prior to the show's premiere on Italian TV channel Rai2, we exclusively unveil the entire set, which marks a unique collaboration between music, television and design.

Mika's stage is completely filled with absurdly big domestic objects—a clock that goes backwards, a fridge covered with white frosting, a colossal winged heart, a tall throne, a huge globe covered with colorful crystals and more. Everything is gigantic and off-scale, but the venue in the south of Milan feels cozy and warm. It's the perfect setting for the beloved singer/songwriter to host his guests. After watching rehearsals and the recording of one of the four episodes of “Stasera CasaMika” (literally “Tonight Mika’s Home”), we spoke with Mika and Job Smeets (of Studio Job) about making this wild scene a reality.

Both Mika and Smeets are extremely satisfied with the final result, which was quite a long time in the making. “We met maybe four or five years ago," Smeets says."Immediately we said, 'We should do something together once.' We stayed in touch, things went forward and developed into different kind of projects. Basically, I help Mika with his brand identity and I like it because we’re friends." Here, the work is a true collaboration. "Mika himself is also super creative and we’re always on the same page. It’s very simple to work together,” Smeets continues. Just a few months ago, the duo began working (with a larger team, of course) on the TV show. “We started talking about it while in London, discussing the whole layout and atmosphere. It was a constant dialogue," Smeets says.

“You know my favorite thing about the whole show? In terms of the set of the whole show?" Mika asks us. "Apart from the giant book, the cake, the heart, the paradise caravan, the remarkable globe, the car? It’s the clock. And not even the clock as an object. The idea of the clock. Because the clock is backwards and the hands also go backwards, which means that everything is backwards, but everything is still correct. It’s really great. It’s very clever because everything is wrong but actually everything is right." The giant clock sits behind the rainbow bed, and features a peace sign on one of the hands. “The clock is quite nice," Smeets agrees. "We’ve already seen clocks that go backwards, but this one also has the dials in the wrong way, so five o'clock is still five o’clock."

While everything in the room is eye-catching, to say the least, the sparkling globe—hanging in the center of the studio—captivates. “It is made of 500,000 Swarovski crystals—all added manually, crystal by crystal. It’s a huge disco ball," Smeets says. The globe was actually made for one of Mika's concerts (in Bercy, Paris in May 2016) and a few other props come from previous shows—his fans will be familiar with the throne, the Paradise caravan and the cake. Indeed, this set seems like a temporary exhibition of sorts. “We should do an exhibition of our props one day," Smeets adds. "It would be cool, but maybe in a few years, when we really have a lot of them."

Smeets says, of the design approach, the difference between pop music and culture in various countries/regions was a big deciding factor. “This is European pop. We have a huge history here in Europe so you can dig from a lot of different periods—from our heritage and iconography. American pop is fast foods, supermarkets, bananas, it’s very straight-forward, streamlined. Most of that comes from the 20th and 21st centuries. The thing about European pop is that you can go much deeper," he says. Pointing at the throne, he continues, "Like that chair, that is based on a Louis XV chair that we have translated into something fun, something happy. The farm symbols [in the big book] are classic German iconography. The cake is the church of Sacré-Cœur, the face of the clock comes from the Big Ben. But obviously there are overlaps. Our fridge is a typical American thing, it’s a Coldspot. And we chose Miami deco colors—also very '50s and rock’n’roll."

Some of the objects have been produced in Italy, while others (such as the cake and the chair) were made in Smeets' atelier in Belgium. They are handcrafted in papier-mâché and it’s beautiful to observe the precision of the craft and details. “These pieces have to be beautiful on their own. They’re not just stage pieces. You don’t want to throw them away, but you will bring them to the next show or to an exhibition," Smeets explains. "Our goal is to create pieces that have a long life.”

Stasera CasaMika will air weekly beginning Tuesday 15 November at 9:10PM UTC+1 on Rai2.

PICS

30957978096_d2da346026_o.jpg

22814591748_e96c690541_o.jpg

30957986206_90e9b97fda_o.jpg

30905030091_a715cbbd1e_o.jpg

30876566522_264d2b2ee7_o.jpg

30958004126_05c91cd961_o.jpg

30691455660_27f2ba07bd_o.jpg

30691461660_96a5d63477_o.jpg

25357386469_51b18738ea_o.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM6shfNjMkF/

30970136551_cedd8d426a_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DOMUS

Stasera Casa Mika

Following the collaboration with popstar Mika, Studio Job created some eccentric stage objects for a TV show in Italy, including giant hearts and crystal globes.

Studio Job continues its collaboration with popstar Mika, contributing to the singer’s latest show on Italian RAI television show “Stasera Casa Mika”. The one-man show features design pieces that are somewhere in between scenography and art pieces, and set the background for special guests such as Monica Bellucci, Kylie Minogue, Eros Ramazzotti and Sting.

The collaboration is part of a biggest project called “The Mika Travelling Circus”, where a large collection of show elements, objects, merchandise and art pieces travel with the pop-star all around the world for all purposes needed, from TV shows, concerts, performances and so on. The pieces designed for the show include a bed, book, car, caravan, crystal globe, dining table, fridge, gothic chairs, heart, letters, parquet floor, piano, sacré-coeur cake and finally the throne.

The pieces represent Mika’s playful and ironic attitude, with an essential urge for innovation and surprising the viewer. The designs were adapted to the set of Riccardo Bocchini, of one of the best known TV scenographers in Italy.

Stasera Casa Mika
Program: TV show
Design: Studio Job
Scenography: Riccardo Bocchini
Client: RAI, Italy
Year: 2016

post-18723-0-21265200-1480520598_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-89296000-1480520634_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-15013600-1480520703_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-17798400-1480520730_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-48155500-1480520768_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-52678500-1480520811_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-36691200-1480520856_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-29024000-1480520883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Archi EXPO

http://trends.archiexpo.com/project-239367.html

Stasera Casa Mika

Following the collaboration with popstar Mika, Studio Job created some eccentric stage objects for a TV show in Italy, including giant hearts and crystal globes.

Studio Job continues its collaboration with popstar Mika, contributing to the singer’s latest show on Italian RAI television show “Stasera Casa Mika”. The one-man show features design pieces that are somewhere in between scenography and art pieces, and set the background for special guests such as Monica Bellucci, Kylie Minogue, Eros Ramazzotti and Sting.

The collaboration is part of a biggest project called “The Mika Travelling Circus”, where a large collection of show elements, objects, merchandise and art pieces travel with the pop-star all around the world for all purposes needed, from TV shows, concerts, performances and so on. The pieces designed for the show include a bed, book, car, caravan, crystal globe, dining table, fridge, gothic chairs, heart, letters, parquet floor, piano, sacré-coeur cake and finally the throne.

The pieces represent Mika’s playful and ironic attitude, with an essential urge for innovation and surprising the viewer. The designs were adapted to the set of Riccardo Bocchini, of one of the best known TV scenographers in Italy.

post-18723-0-58250900-1487860401_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-39276400-1487860456_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-39316400-1487860593_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-83450800-1487860684_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Archi EXPO

http://trends.archiexpo.com/project-234844.html

Studio Job for Mika
  • Studio Job
  • Paris, France

The Antwerp and Amsterdam-based Studio Job realised a stage set design for Mika’s European tour featuring huge fantastical pieces, scenes and references.

Studio Job realised a stage set design for Mika’s European tour. It features huge fantastical pieces, scenes and references: Olympia & Jaques Brel, historical Paris and its unique architectural landmarks.

The singer and songwriter said:

“This project started around my kitchen table a few months ago. Our dream was to build a show that can evolve and grow over time.
 Like items from Alexander Calder’s circus, each set piece is meant to be something iconic and that can make you smile. Job has a sense of vision and craft that is inspiring and he does not compromise at all even when considering something that is a stage set. To him a set on stage has to be as beautifully made and as complex as a sculpture in a museum. That sense of detail and the loaded meaning of each piece really communicates, especially on a such a large scale.”

“The mix of light and dark, joy and sadness. Even when it looks like ecstatic fun, the process behind is serious. I think that we compliment each other well and bring out the good and, more importantly, also the bad. These objects carry a lot of emotion for me, and I think for Job also. I see it as a family of objects, one that will continue to grow and evolve, as they already have over the past year.”

post-18723-0-63681800-1487861073_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-34763900-1487861095_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-67253100-1487861111_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry I've forgot Studio Job's tweet on 1 Dec 2016 :doh:

Mika Car refers to the famous iconic Minis of George Harrison (and also to Mr. Bean's :-)

Casa Mika Car

Stasera Casa Mika - video - RaiPlay-opening

30131623684_d2cf62d4c9_o.jpg

30726915456_08389afaea_h.jpg

CyhYVG0UoAAQaFL.jpg

George Harrison's mini cooper

CynOzQqUQAAjWnH.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 2

Newspaper

https://www.pressreader.com/@Eriko_Shino/06YTRKY25M32?user=Eriko_Shino&shareHost=twitter

Le Monde

• 2 Mar 2017

L’amour du kitsch

Table-pipe, tour Eiffel ivre… Studio Job ose le meuble humoristique voire dérangeant

De la fumée sort de la table en forme de pipe, façon Magritte. Des mains brandissent un chandelier, de chaque côté du miroir, à la Cocteau. Des spots sexy se dressent en forme de banane, clin d’oeil à Andy Warhol… D’illustres artistes surréalistes ou du pop art inspirent les designers du Studio Job – fondé en 2000 à Anvers, par le Belge Job Smeets et la Néerlandaise Nynke Tynagel –, qui signent des meubles et des objets singuliers, opulents, baroques, voire kitsch. «Ces deux-là sont les futurs Lalanne », en référence au couple de sculpteurs, prédit Cédric Morisset, directeur associé de la galerie Carpenters qui expose leurs créations, à Paris, sous le titre «Here There Nowhere», jusqu’au 11 mars.

«Au début, notre objectif était de travailler pour de grandes marques du design industriel, mais personne ne voulait de nous : nos créations n’étaient pas assez conventionnelles, étaient trop dérangeantes, se rappelle Nynke Tynagel, qui a rencontré Job Smeets sur les bancs de la Design Academy Eindhoven. Alors nous avons décidé de faire des pièces uniques, quasi artistiques, et de travailler directement le matériau – essentiellement du bronze – ce qui nous permet d’être libres, comme les sculpteurs», précise-telle. Leur marché de niche leur a réussi, comme en témoignent la moisson de récompenses et la première rétrospective qui leur a été consacrée au Museum of Arts and Design de New York, en 2016.

Table Taj-Mahal sens dessusdessous, lampe tour Eiffel ivre, horloge Big Ben rongée à la base : le Studio Job défie l’establishment, parmi lequel il recrute toutefois ses collectionneurs. Il ose la critique ouverte. Celle du monde de l’art, avec ce «Monkey Business» qui figure un coffrefort surmonté d’un singe voleur ; ou de la religion en renversant la cathédrale de Chartres qui, transformée en armoire sur une face, devient un cabinet à richesses. Sur ses portes sont gravés tous les péchés du monde…

Poêle à frire et ver de terre

Et c’est l’un des points forts de leur travail : très ornementé, chargé de références, il autorise plusieurs niveaux de lecture. Message écologique comme cette lampe Tiffany en forme d’arbre qui s’enfuit du bout de ses racines… Philosophique, façon Morituri, avec cette lampe murale supportée par un répugnant ver de terre. L’humour est aussi grinçant dans ce miroirpoêle à frire ou ce vase-balle de fusil. « Au-delà de l’objet fonctionnel, nous transmettons aussi un message, pas forcément joyeux, car on ne peut pas prétendre que tout va bien, mais une photographie actuelle de la condition humaine», reconnaît Nynke Tynagel.

Depuis peu, les éditeurs industriels leur font la cour, afin de bénéficier d’un peu de leur fantaisie qui fait mouche. Ce printemps, à Milan, une vingtaine d’entre eux, dont Alessi, Seletti ou Bisazza, va présenter des nouveautés (lampes, accessoires pour la table, etc.) qui rendront les créations de ces enfants terribles du design accessibles à un public plus large. « Nous avons décliné nos obsessions dans de nouveaux matériaux, et cela nous a semblé facile et très amusant ! », résume Nynke Tynagel. Le Studio Job a signé également le décor, perché au possible, du chanteur Mika pour son nouveau show télévisé sur la RAI 2, en Italie. On y voit une réplique du Sacré-Coeur, façon gâteau d’anniversaire géant dégoulinant de couleurs.

« Here There Nowhere », exposition Studio Job à la galerie Carpenters, 54, rue de la Verrerie, Paris 4e.

Google translator

The love of kitsch
Table-pipe, drunken Eiffel tower ... Studio Job dares humorous or disturbing furniture

Smoke comes out of the table in the form of a pipe, like Magritte. Hands waving a candlestick on either side of the mirror at La Cocteau. Sexy spots stand in the shape of a banana, a wink to Andy Warhol ... Illustrious surreal artists or pop art inspire the designers of Studio Job - founded in 2000 in Antwerp, by the Belgian Job Smeets and the Dutch Nynke Tynagel -, who sign furniture and objects singular, opulent, baroque, even kitsch. "These two are future Lalanne", in reference to the pair of sculptors, predicts Cédric Morisset, associate director of the gallery Carpenters who exhibits their creations in Paris, under the title "Here There Nowhere", until March 11 .

"At the beginning, our goal was to work for major brands of industrial design, but nobody wanted us: our creations were not conventional enough, were too disturbing," recalls Nynke Tynagel, who met Job Smeets on the benches Of the Design Academy Eindhoven. So we decided to make unique, quasi-artistic pieces, and to work directly on the material - essentially bronze - which allows us to be free, like the sculptors, "says precisely. Their niche market has succeeded, as evidenced by the harvest of awards and the first retrospective devoted to them at the Museum of Arts and Design in New York in 2016.

Taj-Mahal table underneath, drunken Eiffel tower lamp, Big Ben clock at the base: Studio Job defies the establishment, but he recruits his collectors. He dares open criticism. That of the world of art, with this "Monkey Business" which features a chest surmounted by a thief ape; Or of religion, by overthrowing the cathedral of Chartres, which, transformed into a cupboard on one side, becomes a cabinet of wealth. On its doors are engraved all the sins of the world ...

Frying pan and ground worm

And this is one of the strengths of their work: very ornamented, loaded with references, it allows several levels of reading. Ecological message like this Tiffany lamp in the shape of a tree that runs away from its roots ... Philosophical, Morituri way, with this wall lamp supported by a disgusting earthworm. The humor is also squeaky in this mirror frying pan or this vase-bullet rifle. "Beyond the functional object, we also convey a message, not necessarily joyous, because we can not pretend that everything is going well, but a current photograph of the human condition," acknowledges Tynagel.

Recently, the industrial publishers have been paying court to them, in order to benefit from a bit of their fantasy that is a hit. This spring in Milan, some 20 of them, including Alessi, Seletti and Bisazza, will present new products (lamps, accessories for the table, etc.) which will make the creations of these terrible children of design accessible to a more large. "We declined our obsessions in new materials, and it seemed easy and fun! "Says Nynke Tynagel. Studio Job also signed the scenery, perched to the possible, of the singer Mika for his new TV show on the RAI 2 in Italy. There is a replica of the Sacred Heart, a giant birthday cake with colors.

"Here There Nowhere", Studio Job at Carpenters Gallery, 54, rue de la Verrerie, Paris 4th.

33068809041_e5ccb5ca8e_o.jpg

32381365973_a13bcc3569_b.jpg

32351863564_c7fd229260_o.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
adding images