2015 - Adelphi Theatre, London 18 October - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

crazyaboutmika

I uploaded a couple of videos:

Hurts:

And Boum Boum Boum:

Thanks!! finally i get to hear this Hurts version everybody is talking about. Really cool! Sounds like a memorable night you all had in Lndn!

• Like 1

Here are some of my vids, others will come but my files are in such a mess...

Sorry I a moving a lot, I was behind a gigantic guy so I had to stay in quite a weird position to see or film  :stifle:

OMS, Hurts and Happy ending, sung in a row in that order:

Edit: Happy Ending and Youtube are having a fight and I really have to go back to work now, I'll deal with it this evening, sorry! 

Edited by Melyssa
  • Like 1

Hi, back again and  so happy inside :) :) . I  have not enough words for a wondrful report, so I will try it with a little rhyme:

It began with meeting friends,

hugs and shakin'  lots of hands.

Emotional and dancing on the floor

hearts of fans wanting more.

At the venue, the heaven place

it was so nice to see his face.

Mikas energy and power.

wish I have it for an hour.

Great performance, happy guys

it was even more than nice.

At this show the world was one

no reason for someone to run.

so, thank you for the music and the time

it was one of the best of mine

Edited by Littlelady
  • Like 5

Here are some of my vids, others will come but my files are in such a mess...

Sorry I a moving a lot, I was behind a gigantic guy so I had to stay in quite a weird position to see or film  :stifle:

OMS, Hurts and Happy ending, sung in a row in that order:

Edit: Happy Ending and Youtube are having a fight and I really have to go back to work now, I'll deal with it this evening, sorry! 

Youtube and I had a little chat

• Like 2

Mika + London: Heaven….

This could be pretty much the summary of that day!

Arrived in London in the morning with a bunch of friends, walked through the city for some hours and was finally able to join the MFC party at the Smollensky’s later than I had planned. I arrived around 6pm and was looking forward to meet a few MFCers I had been chatting with for months! As I stepped into the pub I heard Good Guys playing and I felt I was home… I was warmly welcomed by Deb and then starting looking for people I knew.

I finally met with DerMoment, our great Subtitlers Team teacher with whom I had been chatting for many months now and took a “team picture” together with Sylvie, I chatted with Maggie, Gabriella and a few other girls and saw many familiar faces.

Sadly a boy and a girl part of my company, were minor and were asked to move to the other side of the pub, where alcoholics weren’t served. Therefore I had to go back and forward from their table, to the party, as I had promised them we would eat together.

After dinner I had to run to the Adelphi as I had to collect my tickets and there was already a long queue, waiting outside the main door.

Once I got them I entered the theatre and was overwhelmed by joy and pure happiness, I felt like a child in Wonderland.

I had my seats in the stalls, 7th row, the view was just amazing. I expected the theatre to be bigger and as I realised it was a tiny elegant venue, I felt really pleased to be finally able to take part to such an intimate gig, compared to the others I had attended, that were held in big venues with thousands of people.

I hoped I would have the chance to see the whole stunning set once again, and from a closer position, but I soon realised such a huge thing wouldn’t fit the tiny stage.

The beginning was as blissful as it was in Florence, the only difference that made it even better, was the silence which surrounded his solo voice.

I’m not describing every single song, otherwise my report would take ages to be read, I can say I particularly loved Good Guys, the music-box-like melody is just so sweet… It warmed my heart seeing his smile as he glimpsed at the buildings, clouds and stars during TAY, it was worth the work I did at midnight the night before, after coming out of work, and that left me trying to get rid of the little pieces of glitter from my body, for the following two days!

Promiseland for me, will always be one of the best live songs ever! Rock style to dye for!

Over My Shoulder, Hurts, Happy Ending, and Last Party in a row were a blast of emotions!

I had watched some videos of him performing bits of Happy Ending unplugged but I have to admit, nothing compares to his pure voice live. Gosh, it gave me goosebumps!

Let’s talk about Hurts. I so much love this song, the stripped way he’s recorded on the album, that I was really fearing I would hate the new version. It didn’t happen. The beat does make sense live…. Chapeau Mika!

Proud to have been part of the Hell portion of theatre during Underwater, it suits me….

One thing I really enjoyed was him speaking English. I know it might sound weird, I’m Italian, I like him speaking Italian, of course I do, (in today’s interview at Corriere della Sera, I found his Italian really strong and consistent) but I think he can’t really express himself as he would like to and doesn’t have that freedom of speech he has in English, being it his mother tongue. No need to think about the use of the verb, the noun, the position of the adjective, he can just speak his mind in a sort of train of thoughts that I find extremely interesting.

I adored the references to his teenage years - when he used to go and attend Sunset Boulevard show (for 5 times) – and him being nervous to play on the very same stage he had seen so many times a decade ago. I found it a sweet memory.

The new lollipop version is just so fresh and rhythmic I truly fell in love with it! I adore the way he keeps finding new ways of revisiting old hits like that one.

The flags at the end of the gig were another amazing idea. His stupefied smile said it all!

He closed with one of my favourites tracks: Love Today. I don’t know if, being it the last show he just gave it all he could, but some high notes on this song were just as perfect as the ones he hit years ago. Just amazingly perfect! I couldn’t be happier.

After the show I joined the big group waiting for him to come out from the stage door, and was pleased by the behaviour of the fans, you see… I’m used to Italian teenagers screaming and bad behaving….

I had the chance to chat with DerMoment whilst waiting. He luckily came out early, even though he couldn’t stop as crowd was quite huge. It’s been a pleasure nevertheless. Then he walked inside and exited from the main entrance.

The best gig I’ve seen so far.

Walking through the center and strolling among the lights of the Big Ben and the glowing bridges it’s been the perfect end of a magic night.

Thank you to all the MFCers I got to know during this trip, especially to Berenike, I really had a great time with you! 

Edited by *Vv*
  • Like 13

I don't really know where to start with this report. It was the 7th time I'd seen Mika live (although I know that's nothing compared to some of you) & although each show has had something special about it, this one seemed extra special. I think that was for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I was closer to the stage than I'd ever been before. I'm not able to stand for gigs & usually at least the floor is standing only so previously I've always been on a balcony or in the circle. But through an amazing stroke of luck I ended up with tickets in the middle of the front row so just a couple of metres away from Mika for most of the show & he made eye contact with me a few times too. And an extra bonus for me of being in the front row was that when I had to sit down for a rest I could still see the stage as there was no-one standing in front of me.

The second reason this gig was extra special was due to the rest of you. I'm very shy so had never spoken to another Mika fan (apart from the ones I attend with) before at a concert. But this time I felt a bit more confident after being active on these forums & with my Twitter campaign beforehand, so plucked up the courage to speak to a few people & everyone was really friendly. It helped that I was pretty distinctive in my wheelchair too & I received some lovely complements on my hand made lyric t-shirt. I'm just sorry I couldn't make it to the MFC meet up beforehand but hopefully I will next time.

Now, the concert itself. I was initially disappointed that the impressive set I'd read about in previous reports didn't fit on the stage but actually Mika didn't need it & I think it would have distracted from his performance. I loved the sparkly costumes, especially the firework suit, & the way Mika seemed so at ease chatting to the audience & telling us anecdotes about the writing of the songs. I can't remember which song it was but during one Mika just seemed to light up with happiness & that was lovely to see. I also spotted Andy & a woman who I suspect was his grandmother in a couple of the boxes. And I loved the way Mika tried to mix sitting at the piano with dancing around but clearly quickly got bored & fidgety sitting down so never stayed at the piano for long.

It was great to see the majority of the audience up on their feet for so much of the concert & it was clear everyone was having a great time - perhaps with the exception of one man near me who appeared poker face for the whole gig. I hope he was enjoying it internally though. The singing in the front row seemed a bit hit & miss but I happily sang along to every song.

I'm not going to comment on each individual song as I'm aware I've already rambled quite a lot but here are a few thoughts:

- I read on another report thread that someone thought it was a shame that Mika appeared so covered up & closed off for such a personal opening song, No Place In Heaven, & I completely agree.

- I know lots of people were unhappy that he performed Boum Boum Boum but I loved it, especially Mika's attempts to explain the meaning of the lyrics!

- I thought all 3 fan actions worked really well - the cityscape for Talk About You, the pictures of Freddie Mercury during last party & the flags at the end.

- I personally don't like Over My Shoulder but can understand why Mika performed it as it showed off his voice really well.

- Happy Ending acapella was amazing!

- I'm not a fan of the album version of Hurts but loved this live version.

- I don't tend to like old songs I know well being fiddled with but thought the new arrangements in songs like Relax worked well.

- Everyone waving their phones with the torches on for Underwater was very moving & I thought it was very funny how Mika split the audience into the angels (upper circle), purgatory (lower circle) & hell (stalls) to sing along.

- Promiseland live was great!

- It made me laugh when the whole band pretended to be a train after Mika talked about writing Lollipop on a railway journey.

I think the only disappointment of the evening was the way my mum & I were treated by a rude & condescending stage hand afterwards when asked if we could have a set list. I was too ill to wait around to try to see Mika after the gig but I heard he didn't have time to stop anyway. All in all it was a fantastic night & I can't wait til the next London gig :)

I didn't take any videos but did take quite a few photos. I'll come back & share some when I've had a chance to sort through them.

Edited by mysti1990
  • Like 6

I just wanted to add a few of my thoughts since this was my first time seeing Mika perform live (in fact this was my first ever concert). I'm a student and I had to get up at a ridiculous time to get back in time for my classes, but it was so worth it and I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I was completely blown away by the show.

Firstly, can I just say (in case anyone had forgotten): Mika sings really well. Like, REALLY well. Just putting that out there. (Seriously though, he sings so well??) I don't think it ever really hit me that someone could actually hit those notes, consistently, song after song after song. On Sunday night, it finally hit me. I really don't know how he does it. I thought artists weren't supposed to be as good live as they are in the studio? Essentially, my very high expectations were exceeded.

Secondly, I loved how he altered the songs, not just musically but sometimes even lyrically (as with Big Girl and We Are Golden). Hearing a song like Grace Kelly - which I've probably listened to hundreds of times - sung in a new way reminds me of how it felt to hear it for the very first time - I'm sure we all wish we could replicate that experience! I still remember the first time I heard that song, and the surge of joy I felt at the time. I can remember dancing around my room blasting it through my headphones. I loved the idea of shape shifting, being "anything you like". That's the same feeling of empowerment I felt listening to all those songs played live. He put so much energy and emotion into every performance. I was thrilled when he chose to sing No Place in Heaven, Big Girl, and Good Wife as the first three songs, since these are all particular favourites of mine. I also thought it was a really good choice to end on Love Today, as the whole crowd was really getting into it and it was a great one to finish with: we were in full-on party mode.

I thought there was a great combo of old and new songs, and I was really pleased that he sang some less well-known tracks (Over My Shoulder, Boum Boum Boum). I was worried he might not sing any French songs so this made me extra happy. :) I would have loved to have heard some other songs too, such as Toy Boy, All She Wants, Ordinary Man, and Elle Me Dit (this was the song which first introduced me to Mika's music and so holds a special place in my heart) but of course the list is endless. I thought the set list was fantastic, really good choices. As Kasia said, before singing Boum Boum Boum he first taught us three French words: piano, coeur, philosophie. His interactions with the audience were both adorable and hilarious - I was in "Hell" like most people here, row S to be exact. I'd been worried it'd be too far back to see, but my friend and I had a great view, and everyone around us was dancing and going wild.

One of my favourite moments was when he sang some of Happy Ending without the microphone. It was magical.

I really hope Mika returns to the UK for more gigs some time soon. When he does, I know I'll be there.

P.S. A massive thank you to everyone involved in organising and creating the various signs and pictures people held up during the TAY, LP, and at the end of the show. It was a lovely touch.

• Like 5

Great gig! And a perfect view from the dress circle from above which was surprising.
Really enjoyed the new songs and the set list in general was a nice mix of the old and new. 
A shame that the full new concert set wasn't able to fit on the small stage at Adelphi, which I had looked forward to seeing for the first time but what matters was that the show was great so I'm happy. :)
It really took me back to the first time I saw Mika live (in Stlm April 07), for some reason, I don't know why, but apparently many other old fans felt the same nostalgic vibe from the show too. And it was nice to see him so happy too, he was smiling a lot and seemed to be excited to perform in London again.
Promiseland was incredible(!) and the audience went crazy for it. The new version of Hurts is awesome and I enjoyed Good Guys too. Over My Shoulder was very beautiful as always. At one point, Mika sang acapella without his mic too, I think it was at the end of Happy Ending, that was really nice and special.
It was great seeing so many MFCers at the pub party (some for the very first time) and I tried to say hello to everyone but I hope to see you all soon again. Thanks to Deb for arranging it, it was a fun gathering. :)

2aa3too.jpg

v42hb5.jpg

F84rvTg.jpg

Surprisingly NOT taken during I Only Love You When I'm Drunk (at all during this gig) but got in the mood for it lol

RnN9ClB.jpg

ySmjssL.jpg

Edited by LaraMay
  • Like 2

These have taken an entire day to upload (literally 25 hours) but they're finally done. Here are the videos I took on Sunday, from Dress Circle so not too close and I apologise for some of my singing in the background but I've done a playlist with them all in order https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0ToLOBoRZ591zf4Hj86ALHFNHVpnUjIROnly missing the first song and a couple at the end where I was stood up and dancing so videoing became difficult.

It was a fab gig and great to meet all the MFCers before, I would write more but I need to go to bed! I may be back tomorrow with a bit more of a report. Enjoy the videos!

• Like 3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153648057186226.1073741890.673876225&type=1&l=7531893594

Here's a link to my photos on Facebook.

I've not had time to upload my videos yet but I suspect this may have been one of the most photographed and videoed gigs ever!!!!

I'll be back on here to read everyone else's stories from the night as soon as RL allows!

• Like 2

:thumb_yello: Thanks a million, to all of you, who have shared your stuff from London, with reports, pics and vids.  :hug:  I'm so happy that everything went well, and that you had such a great time together! :wub:   It's also fab. to hear how much MIKA himself appreciated everything - and how well your preparations paid off!  :wink2:    

Love,love

me  

• Like 2

i love that so many reports are coming in for this gig, i've missed that for the other gigs of the tour! as i have some time now, i'm gonna write one as well, mostly just for my own memory, as i think everything has been said already - but in any case i think it's great to have many many reports in the gig threads! :wub2:

I arrived in London Saturday noon, then went a bit of sightseeing with my roommate Tina. I've been in London so many times now that I know most of the usual sightseeing places - but so far I never had a walk along the Thames yet - and that's what we did. On Saturday, from Waterloo Bridge to the London Eye, and on Sunday from Waterloo Bridge to London Bridge, and back by tube. So I've finally seen some things of which I knew they existed but never been there so far - like the Dungeon (haven't been inside tho), or the Globe Theatre.

On Saturday night we had a lovely meetup of the German fans at Garfunkel's... and then on Sunday afternoon it was finally time for the big MFC meetup! I had feared that with so many people there it'd be chaos to get drinks and food - but as we could get (and pay) everything at the bar, it was very relaxed. The wine and maccaroni&cheese I had were both very delicious! And it was so fab to meet so many new and old MFCers, tho the time was far too short to talk to everyone. Actually a Mika gig was the only thing that made me leave the meetup voluntarily :teehee:, and although I had planned to be at the theatre when the doors open, to help organize everything with the fan actions, I only arrived much later because I didn't want to leave that lovely MFC meetup! :wub2: Ok, and also because I packed the rest of the houses, stars, flags,... that were still at the pub, to give them out to the crowd in the theatre.

At the theatre, tickets were checked only at the entrances of the different areas - so DerMoment and me first went upstairs to give the rest of the stars and clouds to people in the dress circle and upper circle. I didn't know any MFCers in the upper circle, so that was a bit chaotic because people looked at us like :blink: when we handed them the clouds :naughty: - but for dress circle we found some MFCers who were so nice to take the rest of the stars and the moon inside and hand them out.

Then we went to our places in the stalls and with help from some other MFCers distributed the rest of the houses, and a few more flags to MFCers who we hadn't seen at the meetup. Shortly after, Citizens came on stage - I think they were on at 7:30, and Mika at 8:15, so that was a lot earlier than at the other gigs I'd been to. From the moment we entered the theatre, time was literally running away much too fast for my liking! Not because we needed to do much more, but I think it might have been because there was no waiting, at all - every minute was filled with doing something. Compared to the hours of queueing at other gigs, ofc that's a big difference. In German, we have a saying which means something like "anticipation is the biggest pleasure" ("Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude") - and yeah, that anticipation while waiting on the gig day was missing a bit for me. But ofc as soon as Mika was on stage, everything was perfect again! :wub2:

I had a rather good place, a bit to the side in 3rd row - and although one of the tallest guys in the venue (apart from Mika :teehee:) was standing right in front of me (Hi Bubbles! :bye::naughty:), I had a very good view most of the time - either because Mika was at the centre of the stage, to where I had an unobstructed view, or at some points also because those in front of me were sitting, while me and the rest of the stalls were standing - at these times it felt just like being front row. :biggrin2:

The gig itself was great - especially it felt so good to hear him talk in english ALL of the time! :wub2: I tried to film all the talking bits, might've missed one or two, but I got most of them on video. The setlist was nearly perfect for me... I'd have loved to hear Ordinary Man, and wouldn't have minded if he had skipped Over my Shoulder - but that got a great reception from the crowd, so I guess it's good that he did it. I also wouldn't have minded to hear EMD, I like the dance-story he built around it for those gigs ("I never will dance again" - and then he dances like mad!) - but that's ok, I've seen it at the previous gigs. I was surprised I quite liked the live version of Hurts - had seen a video of it before and didn't like that fast version much from that - but live it's great to dance to.

I don't know whose idea it was to do the flags - but thank you to whoever it was. It was so fantastic to see the moment Mika realized what was happening and his smile getting bigger and bigger. :wub2: I only started filming after that, hope someone has it all on video - maybe even with all of Love Today? I only filmed the bit where he talked in the middle... but I remember he whispered a bit at the beginning, and I only caught the last few words of that on video, can't even make out anymore what it was about (something along the lines of "let's be quiet in this beautiful venue", maybe...). Also the TAY fan action, thanks to Jonc for the idea and to everyone who helped making houses and clouds and giving them to the crowd! It looked fantastic! I couldn't see the upper circle from my place, so I don't know what happened up there... but I could see quite a few stars in the dress circle... had feared it wouldn't be enough because at the MFC meetup several fans took them as a souvenir because they had MIKA printed on the other side. :teehee: Can't blame them, it really is a nice souvenir - but after I realized this, I tried to keep every possible star for the dress circle, so sorry to those in the stalls who wanted stars and I denied them. :blush-anim-cl:

Although the gig lasted nearly 2 hours, it was over far too soon. After security had thrown us out of the theatre, MFC gathered at the front door, while at the back door, probably another 100 people were already waiting for Mika to come out. At some point, the majority of MFCers followed Deb to the back (poor Deb, she always had several dozens of people following her around after the gig, just in case... :lmfao::omg_fans: ). I went back and forth between those of my friends who were waiting at the back and at the front, until I saw a van arriving at the front door and security guys speaking hectically into their microphones. Then I waited there. At some point Mika came out and hurried to get to the car, saying something like "Sorry, they're making me run, because there are hundreds of people at the back" - I saw a video of that on Twitter I think. Anyway, I heard later he had been at the back door before and signed a few things, but had to leave because he was crowded.

Afterwards, a bunch of us went to McDonald's around the corner, because it was the only place that was still open. Was fab to have this little "aftershow party" and chat a bit more.

A few comments to posts I've read here:

mysti, sorry we didn't get to talk - I saw you with your cool tshirt but had no idea who you were.

and yes, I also saw Andy, Mika's mum, Yasmine and a woman who might've been Mika's grandma in the balcony. Loved how the grandma "danced" by clapping her hands on the barrier, and how Yasmine was fangurling during UW, even lighting up a phone herself! :naughty:

Lara, fab pix, especially the one with the beer! :lmfao:

And a bunch of thank you's:

to Deb for organizing the MFC meetup

to everyone who was at the meetup for making it such a fab event - also to Smollensky's

to Jonc for the fan action - and to everyone who helped with it

to Marilyn for the fantastic glittery badges

to whoever had the idea with the flags

to Christine for the lovely gift for my son

and to Mika and his band and crew and all of MFC, because without all of these people, this fab weekend wouldn't have happened. :group_hug:

• Like 11

Thanks mellody, hopefully we'll get to speak at a future gig :) I think I might have spotted Yasmin too but didn't see Mika's mum this time - where was she? I thought Mika's grandma (like you I assume that's who she was) looked like she was really enjoying the gig :)

Edited by mysti1990
  • Like 1

Thanks mellody, hopefully we'll get to speak at a future gig :) I think I might have spotted Yasmin too but didn't see Mika's mum this time - where was she? I thought Mika's grandma (like you I assume that's who she was) looked like she was really enjoying the gig :)

At the beginning of the gig, Mika's mum was there in the balcony with the others. Andy left after a while, and I think Yasmine wasn't there from the beginning, and not sure if Mrs P was there all the time, also might've left after a few songs. Anyway she looked fab with her hair open. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

Here's my vids, that uploaded during the night: https://www.youtube.com/user/mellody76/videos

like i said, it's most of the talking bits. And some whole songs plus a bit of the fan actions, which I'll post here individually:

npih:

bit of TAY with houses/stars:

good guys:

talk & lollipop:

talk & OMS:

Hurts:

end of the show with flags:

• Like 4

Hello! I remember your t shirt from when i came in! Glad you had a great time! :yay:

At the beginning of the gig, Mika's mum was there in the balcony with the others. Andy left after a while, and I think Yasmine wasn't there from the beginning, and not sure if Mrs P was there all the time, also might've left after a few songs. Anyway she looked fab with her hair open. :thumb_yello:

I think you were sitting in front of me! I was next to Rosie in the Dodgy Holiday t shirt :biggrin2:

Wonderful to see so many people! :wub2:

Edited by RainbowGirl
  • Like 1

And a bunch of thank you's:

to Deb for organizing the MFC meetup

to everyone who was at the meetup for making it such a fab event - also to Smollensky's

to Jonc for the fan action - and to everyone who helped with it

to Marilyn for the fantastic glittery badges

to whoever had the idea with the flags

to Christine for the lovely gift for my son

and to Mika and his band and crew and all of MFC, because without all of these people, this fab weekend wouldn't have happened. :group_hug:

:yeah:

I would like to thank all the same people... and add YOU to the list, Karin. I appreciate how organized you were with handing out the buildings, stars, etc. It allowed me to sort of forget about the fan action stuff and concentrate on circulating and meeting as many people as possible! :thumb_yello:

Thanks, too, for your videos. And to everyone who has already posted videos and photos. I haven't had the chance yet to look at everything, but I will!

I tried to reply to this thread several times from the plane on the way home on Monday, but for some reason I see that my posts didn't go through. :boxed:

I can't remember now exactly what I wanted to say... but I guess that I have more to say about the MFC than about Mika and the show. :naughty:  I'll leave my photos to speak for me. They're on my Facebook page, but here are a few:

12112158_10156170477120321_1266036955452

11722345_10156170477685321_2757987800269

12106891_10156170477895321_3283340767022

Honestly, I was overwhelmed by the turnout at the party. Truly exceeded my expectations. I hope everyone had as good a time as they appeared to be having.

By my count, these are the countries that were represented: UK (including England, Scotland and Ireland), US, Canada, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Slovenia, France, Italy, Germany, Luxembourg, Finland, Sweden, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, South Korea, Japan, Iceland, Denmark, Hungary and Poland. Have I missed any? I think someone said there was someone from Australia? But I didn't meet anyone from there, so please let me know. Whatever the final count is, it was amazing!

I also wanted to say that it was a bit surreal for me to see people in Real Life, when previously I just knew them as small photos on Facebook! And also so funny to see MFCers in London who I had just met in Montreal back in February! Twice in one year, after having not met for years beforehand.  :naughty: 

Those of you I hadn't seen for too many years -- how good it was to hug you and see again. It seems that Mika was right when he said so long ago, "There's always a next time." Those of you I didn't get to meet -- we need to remember that! Next time! :thumb_yello:

• Like 6

Thanks for all reports, you've said almost everything already so, I'm only going to add that I loved the gig, was so great to hear the crowd singing all together, there was a great energy and it was a special gig indeed! I'm happy because Mika deserves a great "welcome back" and he indeed had one :)

• Like 2

Someone near me wasn't happy that he chose to perform a French song & was very vocal about her views.

Oh, that's a pity. :(

Just a few quick words from my mobile while sitting in Eurostar. Loved this London gig :wub2: Loved loved loved it and think everything went as well as possible. It was the end of the tour and he must have been so tired already but gave such a good energy and included every possible song I was hoping for. OMS!! :wub2: Hurts!! Love the dance version even I wasn't sure in advance because the album version is so incredibly beautiful. The best Promiseland so far and the whole crowd responded well (as the opposite to Paris where the big audience didn't seem to know the song yet). So happy he did Boum Boum Boum as it's one of fav gig songs and loved the London version (wasn't sure we will get any French songs). Amazing Last Party! And the arrangement for some older songs are so cool and welcome. The theater was lovely and small, much smaller than I expected. Great to see so many fans gathered. Will miss you all! Thanks Deb for organizing the pub meeting!

Actually there were quite a lot of people not happy that he did a French song ....

Mika knows that too... he once mentioned that UK ppl doesn't like French songs played on radio so... no wonder ppl don't like listening it in live.

Generally French songs don't go down too well in the UK, but there are exceptions (La Vie En Rose for one).  As far as Mika songs go, I think if he had done Elle Me Dit no-one would have minded.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to mislead anyone, I was just only aware of the one person objecting to Boum Boum Boum from where I was sat.

Before Boum Boum Boum he made a funny introduction - he said he'd teach us a few French words (coeur, philosophie and I guess something else I do t remember now) but he did it in such a cute and funny way, of course realising people don't like French songs here. He also promised it's the only French song in the show. I don't know why someone could still object to that, especially that the song is really cool and sounds amazing live.

Sorry for the long multi quote but wanted to include everything. I was the vocal one about Mika doing French songs in London.

Let me explain.

I first heard Mika back in 2006 when Relax was BBC Radio 1's record of the week. I instantly fell in love with it. I then fell in love with the rest of his music and Mika, the British pop star. All the UK albums have English tracks and has never released a French song here. I fell in love with his lyrical content, this is what I enjoy. His stories and how relatable they are to me. I think this what drew me to him.

Now I have no problem with Mika speaking French, in France or Canada (or Italian in Italy) and I have in fact seen him twice in France. Tbh I didn't enjoy the gigs as much as others as I don't understand French. Haven't got a ####ing clue. Now the main reason I enjoy the live shows is the interaction between Mika and the audience and in French it washes over me. I didn't realise that Mika had split his trousers at Parc du Prince until I watched the DVD 6 months later with subtitles I have no interest in the French songs. I can't invest as I don't understand. I enjoy a good melody and there are a few foreign language songs I enjoy, Strome for example. British radio really doesn't play foreign music and I would say that a lot of British people wouldn't go out of their way to find foreign music. Mika is a British artist IMO and I want English songs. The songs I can relate to. It has only been since 2012 that he started including French songs into his UK show and I didn't really enjoy that either. I fell in love with the British Mika and him singing French songs here feels like he's cheating on me (hypothetically before you think I'm weird).

Mika's back catalogue is now huge with 4 albums worth of non-French songs and the fact he chose to sing in French, I find a little insulting. Go and do that in France, not here.

I really enjoyed the show and loved the changed arrangements of the classics (wow that sounds weird). I love Mika. I think he's ####ing fantastic.

I love French people, I love France and I appreciate their culture. This is no way me hating on France. In London I want the London Mika. I hope you understand.

To be fair Mika can do what he likes, but I can't follow up every path and enjoy it.

I think you were sitting in front of me! I was next to Rosie in the Dodgy Holiday t shirt :biggrin2:

Wonderful to see so many people! :wub2:

oh, i hope i didn't block your view too much with my jumping and filming and taking pix. :blush-anim-cl:

deb, there was a girl from australia at the meetup, she asked for an australian flag (and then decided to draw one with the markers, as i didn't have one), that's why i know. i think she said she lives in the UK (at least atm), but she's from australia, so she wanted to show her flag. ;) don't know her name tho, or if she's even on mfc or was just a +1 of someone else (she was with 2 UK girls).

• Like 1