Well, I thought for sure we already had a thread on Greg Wells, but unless my old eyes are failing me, I can't see one!

Anyhow, I ran across this, which I thought was interesting both because of Greg and because he spends so much time talking about Mika. :thumb_yello:

[media]

[/media]

It was part of this article, which I also found interesting:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/11/02/short-cut-to-a-katy-perry-vocal-sound/

Short Cut To A Katy Perry Vocal Sound
Waves Audio announces Greg Wells VoiceCentric plugin      02/11/15

Waves has introduced the Greg Wells VoiceCentric plugin, created with multiple GRAMMY-nominated producer/composer/musician and mix engineer Greg Wells (Katy Perry, Adele, One Republic, Mika, Twenty One Pilots).

They tell us that the Greg Wells VoiceCentric plugin is the first in a line of Greg Wells Signature Series plugins, created in collaboration with Wells, who has songs on over 85 million units sold.

The VoiceCentric plugin is a user-friendly and straightforward plugin, featuring one main control and three additional controllers for Wells' customized Delay, Doubler and Reverb settings.

A spokesperson told us, "Designed for those looking for an A-level mixed vocal sound, this plugin gives you a quick, world-class solution for vocal processing, together with access to Greg Wells' signature sound."

In this video, Greg Wells talks about his inspiring career so far, from producing the first Mika album to being part of Adele's record-breaking album 21.

• Like 9

:thumb_yello: Thanks A LOT Deb and Catherine!!  :hug: I really appreciate to get to know Greg Wells better!  :yes: The speech he held at Humber is really wise and great - I'm so so happy that MIKA spends time with this man!!  :)  And - said in this speech,  that MIKA changed his carrere forever, wow - it again makes me SO proud of our man... :wub:   :fisch:

Love,love

me

• Like 2

Interestingly, his brother Rob Wells was head of digital music at Universal. He has since "left". He has also made music with Mika.

That speech is one of the best I have heard. Faith and perseverance!!!

Edited by Zel

I saw Greg at Humber a few years ago and he also gave a less formal speech. He doesn't mention Mika specifically but told the story of his music teacher who changed his life and set his career on the course it took. It really struck me that without many of the people who had come together that night to jam and honour "Uncle Dave" (the music teacher) that Life In Cartoon Motion as we know it would not exist.

Sorry for the terrible video but you should be able to hear it:

Humber Blue Jackets (featuring Greg):

• Like 2

Greg posted nice things about Mika and goes into a lot of detail about recording LICM in several posts on this forum back in 2006 and 2007.

"The songs were ready to record. In some cases there was some rearrangement, and sometimes not. I'm a big fan of trimming any fat to be found, so i'm usually chopping out bars if i feel the energy drops in a bad way at any point. I remember doing that in a couple of instances, like the bridge/middle 8 in "Grace Kelly" used to be longer. "Lollipop" used to have a full trumpet solo before the final chorus, and at the end of the record I made them go together, rather than the original extendo version."  Hmmmmm, curious!

This bit made me awwwww: "Mika gave me lots of space to do my thing and I did the same for him. It was the best experience I've had making a record, I must say."

i don't think i've ever heard anything else non-Mika related that Greg Wells has produced :teehee:

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 2

i don't think i've ever heard anything else non-Mika related that Greg Wells has produced :teehee:

Surely you have heard this? It was one of the biggest songs of the last decade.

And if you have not heard this you are missing out!! :naughty: My favourite Katy Perry song evah. Greg co-wrote as well as produced.

• Like 1

Greg posted nice things about Mika and goes into a lot of detail about recording LICM in several posts on this forum back in 2006 and 2007.

"The songs were ready to record. In some cases there was some rearrangement, and sometimes not. I'm a big fan of trimming any fat to be found, so i'm usually chopping out bars if i feel the energy drops in a bad way at any point. I remember doing that in a couple of instances, like the bridge/middle 8 in "Grace Kelly" used to be longer. "Lollipop" used to have a full trumpet solo before the final chorus, and at the end of the record I made them go together, rather than the original extendo version."  Hmmmmm, curious![/size]

This bit made me awwwww: "Mika gave me lots of space to do my thing and I did the same for him. It was the best experience I've had making a record, I must say.[/size]"

Thanks for posting all that Dee, I know I've read it before, and it surely must be SOMEwhere on this massive forum, but I really thought we had a thread devoted to Greg that would have all that, too. :dunno:

And if you have not heard this you are missing out!! :naughty: My favourite Katy Perry song evah. Greg co-wrote as well as produced.

Aww, it had been ages since I'd heard/seen that. Oh, the good ol' days. That really is one of her best songs ever.  :fangurl:

• Like 1

Greg Well has basically produced all the music of my favourite singers! He's super talented

:thumb_yello: I agree, it's much the same for me.  But I've "known him" best, and for a long time, for his work with TINA ... :wub:  

Love,love

me

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

A NEWSLETTER from Jodi Marr

https://mailchi.mp/251e624cd0c0/from-songwriter-to-star-lifers?e=118b811bba

May 01, 2023

Jodi Marr
From Songwriter to Star 

LIFERS

“Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”Anais Nin

Passion and talent aren’t enough to keep you going in the music business. It’s tempestuous and hard to navigate. Money, fame, gold-plated statues and people from your #1 song party aren’t going to keep you afloat.

THE LIFERS WILL.

Good times come and go. Some people stick with you for the whole ride. They’re the ones you start out with, who believe in you, and who keep showing up - even when you don’t.

THAT’S THE REAL GOLD.

Relationships keep you on course. They grow and change, but the real ones remain. Lifers help you be who you were meant to be. Sometimes you need a reminder, and last week,

I got one.

c2a43ecd-3edd-a432-be91-053c30dd26b4.jpg

Greg Wells, Mika, Jodi Marr, John Merchant, Grammys 2008 

A DAY IN THE LIFE.

My friend Greg Wells came to Nashville. He's a lifer.

He’s also a world-renown producer, songwriter, and all-around genius. He was in town briefly, on a tight schedule, working with Keith Urban. But he made time to see me.

CATCH UP COFFEE.

We discussed life, our kids, our health, and our history of making music together. I asked his advice on a few projects, and he fired off a few texts, unasked and without hesitation, to help me get it done. Over an omelet and much-needed 8 am coffee, Greg invited me to teach a master class at the Blackbird Academy with him later that day. Then he introduced me to Keith.

HUG V. HANDSHAKE.

Keith immediately gave me a hug - not a handshake - which was endearing. I reminded Keith that we met once years before, at a writers in the round on Miami Beach. Keith wasn’t yet famous then, and I had just signed my first deal. I was working with my Producer Desmond Child, and Keith was staying at Desmond’s house. Keith remembered.

d6d35bf7-0668-c770-0f7b-ce32f1d1dc5d.jpg

Jodi Marr, Greg Wells

FULL CIRCLE.

Greg, because he’s a mensch, made a circular motion with his hands between me, him, and Keith and said “This would be a really great write” Bless him. From his mouth to God’s ears, but hey -fingers crossed!

A GOOD FRIEND WILL DO THAT.

When I developed my first artist, (MIKA), Greg was hired by the label to produce the record. He called me when the got the gig to introduce himself and tell me how much he liked the songs and the original demos. No one has ever done that since.

IT’S NICE TO BE SEEN.

At Blackbird, and later on his social media, Greg told everyone what he thought of me and what I do, and graciously gave me more credit than I deserve for playing a small part in his career trajectory.

0536a2aa-a3dd-77f8-9b27-fa4a5a815320.jpe

Greg Wells, Jodi Marr, Mark Rubel, Blackbird Academy

I'D LIKE TO THANK THE ACADEMY.

We gave the students some advice and shared war stories about songwriting and making records. Afterward, Greg said, “That felt really natural  - us doing that in there.” I said “Yeah, we were good!” and laughed.

It did feel really good, to look back and think about my path. Remembering what I knew then, what I know now, and the music Greg and I  made together. It’s amazing how people come into your work life and change your whole life.

COLLEAGUES, FRIENDS, LIFERS.

Sometimes you sail into separate oceans, sometimes the tides bring you back into the same shoreline. So you meet to compare notes, readjust and maybe even chart a course together into new territory.

HANG ON TO YOUR LIFERS.

BE ONE. FIND YOURS.

JODI MARR'S STORY SPARK:

RECONNECT WITH A LONG-TIME COLLABORATOR. REMINISCE. Listen to the first song you ever wrote together. Try to rewrite it, or write a part two of the story, maybe even write a reaction song to the original.

LINKS:

"A friend knows the song in my heart, and sings it to me when my memory fails." - Donna Roberts

FIND YOUR LIFERS.