Mika 'The Art of Song' Part 2 on BBC Radio 2 Easter Monday 2016

RAK1

Well if they said "I don't like this" sure, but "rubbish" is rude, no matter who that applies to...

I call things rubbish all the time, including some of Mika's songs if I'm honest! If you want to see some truly rude comments look at my Youtube videos. People would get banned from MFC for the things they say on there. This is what people do on the internet outside of this MFC bubble.

If someone didn't like Mika, why would they listen to the show anyway?  There are plenty of singers I don't like but I don't listen to their music or post mean comments about them.

Because it's BBC2, not the Mika show. I'm sure they just turned on their radio and had no idea what they were in for. Hopefully he pleasantly surprised some as well.

People will say what they are going to say, but this is what I hate about the UK at the moment, they will lap up the crap from certain talent shows, but anyone like Mika who worked his way up from nothing without that kind of help is always fair game for mud slinging.

This is why I haven't had time for a lot of acts here lately, I find them bland and soul less, I'm sick of seeing anyone who shows any imagination, being trounced all over.

I pay for my licence fee, but I have to listen to complete rubbish over and over again, that these other people push for. 

It really winds me up!

But surely there are plenty of people moaning about how XF winners' songs are crap too. Do they even play that stuff on Radio 2? If they do then maybe Mika's 40 year old playlist is not the right show for that station after all since people listening to top 40 generally are not listening to Earth, Wind & Fire and The Carpenters.

There are always whingers on the R2 FB page, Funnily I wager some of the ones bleating on about Tony Blackburn, are more than likely the ones who would take the rise out of him, as he was very 70s orientated in his presenting style. It doesn't matter who presented today, because Tony wasn't doing it, they will whie about it.

I have to say, I did love the covers, but on I Only Want To Be With you, I felt he should have stayed in the mid range during the chorus. Otherwise it was great.

But surely there are plenty of people moaning about how XF winners' songs are crap too. Do they even play that stuff on Radio 2? If they do then maybe Mika's 40 year old playlist is not the right show for that station after all since people listening to top 40 generally are not listening to Earth, Wind & Fire and The Carpenters.

Oh yes, they play X Factor stuff on there too.

It's funny you mention this because Ken Bruce, plays new songs from Leona Lewis and other past contestants, yet he never seems to have a good word to say about it. Not blatantly open bad mouthing, but veiled sarky remarks about it

And all the listeners know it's a station that plays music from the 50s all the way u to present day, so the music Mika played today isn't alien to regular listeners.

• Like 1

There are always whingers on the R2 FB page, Funnily I wager some of the ones bleating on about Tony Blackburn, are more than likely the ones who would take the rise out of him, as he was very 70s orientated in his presenting style. It doesn't matter who presented today, because Tony wasn't doing it, they will whie about it.

That is my sense. I bet they didn't even listen to the show.

On the topic of the show I finally finished listening to it and enjoyed it much more than his last guest spot on Radio 2. Sir Duke and September are two of my favourite all time songs. Tears Dry On Their Own is my favourite Amy Winehouse. There is something so bittersweet about it, like a reflection on her life and career. I don't like Paul Simon but Mrs. Robinson was great. Love love George Ezra. Saw him in the summer courtesy of Jimmy Sims who plays bass for him. He's so refreshingly different.

That Tobias Jr. guy makes me want to slit my wrists with his horrible songs. When We Were Young is the only Adele song I absolutely cannot stand. But Mika did a good job with the cover.

I am not crazy about some of the dated song choices like the Carpenters but most of these older songs have held up over the years and I still listen to them regularly. I guess American Pie falls into the dated category but it's always been one of my favs. Other favs in later years like George Michael and Seal. It's like Mika went through my old record collection. :naughty:

• Like 1

The list of Songs

• Dancing On The Ceiling ______________ ( Rionel Richie )
  • Tears Dry On Their Own ______________ ( Amy Winehouse )
  • Reach Out I'll Be There _______________ ( Four Tops )
  • September  ________________________ ( Earth, Wind & Wire )
  • Higher Love ________________________ ( Steve Winwood )
  • You're So Vain ______________________ ( Carly Simon  )
  • American Pie _______________________ ( Don McLean )
  • Heroes ____________________________ ( David Bowie  )
  • Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes ___ (MIKA Radio 2 Session, 28th Mar 2016)
  • I Say A Little Prayer __________________ ( Aretha Franklin )
  • The Boys Of Summer ________________  ( Don Henley )
  • Sir Duke ___________________________ ( Stevie Wonder )
  • Faith  _____________________________  ( George Michael )
  • Let 'Em In __________________________ ( Wings )
  • Lost In Music  _______________________ ( Sister Sledge )
  • Rainy Days & Mondays ________________ ( Carpenters )
  • Budapest ___________________________ ( George Ezra )
  • How Could You Babe  _________________  (MIKA Radio 2 Session, 28th Mar 2016)
  • Mrs Robinson ________________________ ( Simon & Garfunkel )
  • Killer _______________________________ ( Adamski )
  • I Only Want To Be With You _____________ (MIKA Radio 2 Session, 28th Mar 2016)
  • I'm Coming Out _______________________ ( Diana Ross )
  • Don't Leave Me This Way _______________  ( The Communards )
  • Wichita Lineman _______________________ ( Glen Campbell )

• Like 4

I really enjoy this concept and listening the playlist and Mika talking about music. Of course I enjoyed his covers too but he is good at this in general. Even my family loved the playlist. I kind of forced them to listen, we were driving and there was no way I would have missed this (so I didn't give them any option) but after a while they admitted that I was right and that he plays good music  :naughty: This is exactly the kind of music we listen together because we all have very different taste but everyone loves classics. 

• Like 2

Okay! American Pie.

At least part of the song refers to The Day The Music Died.

Buddy Holly was on a Winter tour, with several other big stars of the day. The Big Bopper (Chantilly Lace) and the teenager Ritchie Valenz (Donna, La Bamba)

They died when their private plane crashed. It was a real tragedy.

Mika just mentioned it right now. About Buddy Holly. At least part of it is about the plane crash and the loss of the talent that was destroyed .

BTW I'm like Mika's Mum, I'm diabetic. But I had some chocolate yesterday.

:) I was quite surprised myself,  when MIKA started with saying he didn't know anything about "American Pie"  :shocked: I thought this was such a wellknown story - so I suppose his producer, or another person, gave him some info about it, while playing  :teehee:  It's a great song. I also like very much Madonna's version of it :fisch: I've never heard him mention earlier that his mum is diabetic.  But I know you are Marilyn - good that you can have at least a little bit of chocolate, now and then... :wink2:  

Love, love

me     

I really enjoy this concept and listening the playlist and Mika talking about music. Of course I enjoyed his covers too but he is good at this in general. Even my family loved the playlist. I kind of forced them to listen, we were driving and there was no way I would have missed this (so I didn't give them any option) but after a while they admitted that I was right and that he plays good music  :naughty: This is exactly the kind of music we listen together because we all have very different taste but everyone loves classics. 

:thumb_yello: How great that you "feed"  your whole fam. with MIKA - at least when they can't get away!  :naughty: I almost did the same - I sent an sms to my daughter, who responded that she had found an app for BBC Radio2 in her appstore  :) Hubby was in the same room, most of the time the 2hrs it lasted, and my female cat, which's very used to music, made very big eyes at me when MIKA spoke, in between the songs - just like she recognized his voice, and would like to say: "oh, there he is again!" :shocked:  We got her, shortly after MIKA "came into our lives" - and never left  :wub: But I'm not sure if the cat understands his English language. hehe... :naughty: 

Love, love

me 

• Like 3

I have to say, I did love the covers, but on I Only Want To Be With you, I felt he should have stayed in the mid range during the chorus. Otherwise it was great.

I totally agree. When Mika sang the first part of IOWBWY, in his low voice, he sounded wonderful. When he changed key, I have to admit, it didn't work for me. I wasn't all that keen on the other covers he did either. But his presenting was brilliant and his choice of music, really good. He did choose George Ezra, which was a contemporary song from the modern era, and one I really like. But whatever he chooses, some will like it, some won't. I don't think Mika, or Radio 2, will be loosing any sleep over a few miserable comments.

Did not have time to listen to this before a bit later, but fghjklkjhgfghj, really it's just perfect  :wub:  Especially the covers. They make me feel so good, I could listen to them forever  :fangurl:  :yes:

• Like 2

Did not have time to listen to this before a bit later, but fghjklkjhgfghj, really it's just perfect  :wub:  Especially the covers. They make me feel so good, I could listen to them forever  :fangurl:  :yes:

I actually wish that when Mika performs on his radio show, he could perform his own songs. If he sang NPIH he would blow everyone away. The problem, for me, with some of Mika's covers, is that he doesn't adhere to the wise saying "Less is more". He messes around with them too much and feels he has to go high, even when there is no need. Also, sometimes, I have to say this, he does actually come across a bit whiney. So the comments about that, are not wrong really.

He has done some beautiful covers Let It Snow and Poker Face spring to my mind, but it would be better for him if he could promote his own work. No one can sing Mika's own songs like he can. 

I actually wish that when Mika performs on his radio show, he could perform his own songs. If he sang NPIH he would blow everyone away. The problem, for me, with some of Mika's covers, is that he doesn't adhere to the wise saying "Less is more". He messes around with them too much and feels he has to go high, even when there is no need. Also, sometimes, I have to say this, he does actually come across a bit whiney. So the comments about that, are not wrong really.

He has done some beautiful covers Let It Snow and Poker Face spring to my mind, but it would be better for him if he could promote his own work. No one can sing Mika's own songs like he can. 

I agree with you that he definitely should play some of his own songs too! However, I don't feel like he does to much with the covers. I usually like them better than the originals ( but that might just be my mika-obsessed mind's opinion  :aah: ). And Mika plays his own songs at gig all the time, so I find it interesting to hear covers of other songs, and see what he does with them, just like I like hearing covers of Mika's songs. But, yeah, singing his own songs would definitely be good for his own promotion, especially in the UK.  :dunno:

Edited by Hannekj
  • Like 4

The show is about classic songs, on the whole, not for him to promote his own songs. 

Like the other shows where guest presenters play songs of different subjects, Will Young on dance songs from the 90s, Laura Brydon on female singers over the years, they didn't play any of their songs, just songs on the subject, just other artists that they like and admire.

That is what Mika is doing with this show.

• Like 2

The show is about classic songs, on the whole, not for him to promote his own songs. 

Like the other shows where guest presenters play songs of different subjects, Will Young on dance songs from the 90s, Laura Brydon on female singers over the years, they didn't play any of their songs, just songs on the subject, just other artists that they like and admire.

:) I agree - and the main reason why MIKA is doing covers in this type of radioprogram at all, might be because Elton Johns piano happens to be in the studio :teehee: MIKA's surely just so happy to get the possibility to use it, and perform live a little bit  :fisch: If he does more of these shows,  I hope he'll cover a Annie Lennox song, or one by the Eurythmics ... :fisch:

Love, love

me 

• Like 1

Yes I realize what you say. What I meant was, it's a shame he can't perform his own songs. I know why he doesn't, on that particular show. But at least the occasional broadcast means he still has a toe in the UK. His little-toe of course, but it's better than nothing.

Yes I realize what you say. What I meant was, it's a shame he can't perform his own songs. I know why he doesn't, on that particular show. But at least the occasional broadcast means he still has a toe in the UK. His little-toe of course, but it's better than nothing.

With luck, if he gets back on Jo Whileys show again, he will play a couple of his songs on it  :)

• 3 weeks later...