Mika 'The Art of Song' Parts 3 & 4 on BBC Radio 2-- 8&15 November 2016

silver

It is also hard for Mika to cover other peoples songs, party because he tends to use too much falsetto, when he doesn't really need to do so. He should rely more on his beautiful lower tones.

But when he sings his own music, there is no one like him on the planet, so even though I love the radio show and how knowledgeable he is about the songs and artists he features, I wish he would do something else, something that showcases his own songs.

Totally agree with everything you said,especially the bolded parts  :thumb_yello:  Too much falsetto might sound weird for simple ordinary listeners,mostly when you know the original versions. So it's normal that some people have different and less biased opinions,it doesn't mean they are completely wrong  :dunno:

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1

Totally agree with everything you said,especially the bolded parts  :thumb_yello:  Too much falsetto might sound weird for simple ordinary listeners,mostly when you know the original versions. So it's normal that some people have different and less biased opinions,it doesn't mean they are completely wrong  :dunno:

I think this time his voice was tired and you can hear it especially at the end of Rocket Man. Too much falsetto with a tired voice in a cover isn't a good combination in my opionion. He should be more aware of this because people who don't know him as well as we do might think he always sounds like that. He should be able to say no if his voice isn't in a good condition. 

• Like 1

I think this time his voice was tired and you can hear it especially at the end of Rocket Man. Too much falsetto with a tired voice in a cover isn't a good combination in my opionion. He should be more aware of this because people who don't know him as well as we do might think he always sounds like that. He should be able to say no if his voice isn't in a good condition.

This is the problem. If people are not familiar with Mika's more recent music, they probably don't know how good a singer he is, when he sings his own songs. That is a terrible shame.

?...He should rely more on his beautiful lower tones.

I very much agree with this although I would replace the "should" by "could"

My opinion is that with aging -and probably lack of practice- the falsetto voice has become weaker; on the other hand the lower voice has grown stronger and now is very beautiful.

The thing is that lots of the old songs have very high parts and it seems he doesn't want to change them too much. I don't know whether that's because of his own old habits or because he is afraid to disappoint the people that are used to songs in a certain way.

Having said this, I sometimes still love the falsetto. For example in Relax (Como version). There it sounds very tender and vulnerable and therefore very touching.

But when he uses the falsetto voice carelessly and sings too loud, it can almost be like screaming and it often hurts my ears. Like in this version of happy ending: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wycfN_2yXnY

I don't think this will convince people of his singing qualities even if it's his own song. MB14 sings it much better.

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 2

I haven't read any negative comments and I can't understand why anyone would be mean or rude but (like already said somewhere earlier) I can totally understand not everyone likes these covers, he goes quite far with them and his voice is very unique. To be honest I don't care if someone doesn't like them, I love them and hope he continues doing them, I really like the whole concept.

Totally agree that the lower part of his voice has become the best part of it :wub2: So soft and tender, I can't understand why he doesn't use it more :dunno:

• Like 1

I haven't read any negative comments and I can't understand why anyone would be mean or rude but (like already said somewhere earlier) I can totally understand not everyone likes these covers, he goes quite far with them and his voice is very unique. To be honest I don't care if someone doesn't like them, I love them and hope he continues doing them, I really like the whole concept.

Totally agree that the lower part of his voice has become the best part of it :wub2: So soft and tender, I can't understand why he doesn't use it more :dunno:

I have read them, I'm not lying but  I don't post them here because they are too much offensive

I have read them, I'm not lying but  I don't post them here because they are too much offensive

I read them too, and it's so sad. It happened the same when it released its single in British tv, I don´t remember in the name of the program where he acted. but  the comments were horrible in twitter. It´s very sad because there are many people in England who admire Mika, but at the same time,there is a group(no fans) that will criticize him whatever he does.
And it isn´t a criticism of their work, it´is by his person, it´s  like a mockery about their personality, about his sweetness, his way of speaking, they are offensive messages,so sad. I hope that changes someday.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 5:01 PM, krysady said:

From all the covers he did,the one I loved the most was Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac,his voice fits perfectly for that song. Unfortunately the radio station where he did it a few years ago never posted the podcast of that show,they never answered to our messages,and no one from MFC didn't manage to record the interview at that time   :sad:

What a shame :tears: