The Australian Thread: Party Twenty-Four

silver

I love the soggy doggos Silver :wub2: and congratulations on the new baby Tegan! I've been following your pictures on Instagram as well, he and Sam are very cute :biggrin2:

I was watching a show on Netflix yesterday, "Restoration Australia", and there was an episode set in Orange which painted a picture of a town full of people with a little too much time on their hands :lmfao:

Do you have any input for the possibly-Banjo-Paterson's-birth-house-but-also-probably-not debate?

On 7/31/2018 at 1:26 AM, crazyaboutmika said:

That won't be easy...good luck Tegan :crossed: Hopefully Isaac won't catch it :pray:

On 7/31/2018 at 7:31 AM, silver said:

My brother gets conjunctivitis quite often, but I've never had it (touch wood).  So maybe some people are more resistant than others - Isaac may be OK.

I think he did :doh:he's fine now. 

I haven't been doing much lately, though Derek and I have decided to go away for the weekend for our wedding anniversary in November, which is exciting. Then in December we're going to see Shania Twain in Sydney. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nico_collard said:

I think he did :doh:he's fine now. 

I haven't been doing much lately, though Derek and I have decided to go away for the weekend for our wedding anniversary in November, which is exciting. Then in December we're going to see Shania Twain in Sydney. 

Sounds like great plans :thumb_yello: Enjoy Tegan :huglove:

21 hours ago, nico_collard said:

Are you just off to a hotel somewhere, or do you have more planned?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 10:54 AM, Oakie Doke said:

I love the soggy doggos Silver :wub2: and congratulations on the new baby Tegan! I've been following your pictures on Instagram as well, he and Sam are very cute :biggrin2:

I was watching a show on Netflix yesterday, "Restoration Australia", and there was an episode set in Orange which painted a picture of a town full of people with a little too much time on their hands :lmfao:

Do you have any input for the possibly-Banjo-Paterson's-birth-house-but-also-probably-not debate?

Okay, I just saw this post :facepalm: Yep, that describes Orange well and truly :lmfao: I swear a good number of people in this town go on a Facebook page called Spread the Word in Orange - there's no admin so of course any posts aren't watched and there's rampant bullying but occasionally there;s some amusing stuff. Oh, and every public holiday people have to ask what shops are open and when it snows people have to ask if there's snow on the mountain/the roads are open/complain that the gates to the mountain are closed :facepalm: 

As for Banjo Patterson's birthplace, there's no hard evidence that he ever lived there, but surely there's some truth to it. Maybe he lived there as a child or something :dunno: (it took me forever to remember what the shortcut was for that, all I thought was :smth: )

On 8/31/2018 at 6:15 AM, silver said:

Are you just off to a hotel somewhere, or do you have more planned?

We're going to Canberra for the dirty weekend, hotel is booked but no plans besides sleeping in and doing a bit of shopping. Hotel also booked for Shania, and the plan is go to concert, sleep, then as we're going home we stop at the shopping centre in Penrith and I go to a book signing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nico_collard said:

Okay, I just saw this post :facepalm: Yep, that describes Orange well and truly :lmfao: I swear a good number of people in this town go on a Facebook page called Spread the Word in Orange - there's no admin so of course any posts aren't watched and there's rampant bullying but occasionally there;s some amusing stuff. Oh, and every public holiday people have to ask what shops are open and when it snows people have to ask if there's snow on the mountain/the roads are open/complain that the gates to the mountain are closed :facepalm: 

:lmfao:

8 hours ago, nico_collard said:

We're going to Canberra for the dirty weekend, hotel is booked but no plans besides sleeping in and doing a bit of shopping. Hotel also booked for Shania, and the plan is go to concert, sleep, then as we're going home we stop at the shopping centre in Penrith and I go to a book signing. 

Canberra sounds nice - have you been there before?  Who is doing the book signing?

I always regret not going to a Terry Pratchett book signing when I had the chance :sad:

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 4:14 AM, silver said:

Nice to see you again, OKD :wub2:

Just for you, the dogs realising they'd gone on different paths on their walk

P1070983.thumb.JPG.c01d91b281d9265d6616212c3abab8dd.JPG

and back together again

P1070984.thumb.JPG.0ee0848d7352757f9a6fd4cbae567419.JPG

:wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

On 9/17/2018 at 8:06 PM, nico_collard said:

As for Banjo Patterson's birthplace, there's no hard evidence that he ever lived there, but surely there's some truth to it. Maybe he lived there as a child or something :dunno: (it took me forever to remember what the shortcut was for that, all I thought was :smth: )

I follow many, many facebook pages just to giggle at the kinds of things people post there :lmfao: 

On 9/26/2018 at 5:52 AM, silver said:

I see you Aussies have managed to lose a beach! :teehee:

:blink: ???

On 9/18/2018 at 6:13 AM, silver said:

:lmfao:

Canberra sounds nice - have you been there before?  Who is doing the book signing?

I always regret not going to a Terry Pratchett book signing when I had the chance :sad:

Yeah, been a few times this year alone - Went to Costco in January and again in April, just before I fainted in the car (like, a couple of hours before :blink:). Before that we hadn't been since 2014 when we bought baby stuff before Sam was born. Haven't stayed in Canberra itself for years, probably when I went there for professional learning when I was teaching swimming. 

The author is Matthew Reilly, he's an Aussie author and writes really action/thriller type stuff. The last book he wrote was part of a series and it's kinda archeological/mythical type story. His next book has time travel and stuff in it, should be good! I've met him a couple of times already. First time was at a convention (Supanova for the Aussies) - He wtas incredibly friendly and took his time with everyone in the line, despite just getting back into doing public stuff after his wife died. Second time was at a book signing outside a bookstore in 2016. That one coincided with the last book coming out and again he was lovely and had great chats with everyone. 

It's a shame you missed out on going to a signing Terry Pratchett did. I wonder if I kept that Terry Pratchett book I had? 

10 hours ago, silver said:

Well I'll be buggered! That's really weird! 

Oooooooh, exciting news! Even though my birthday isn't for another month, I know what Derek has gotten me for my birthday (mostly cause I used his credit card to buy it :teehee:)... Hanson are doing shows with a symphony and we're going to it (interestingly, in Canberra)! :woot_jump: I also joined their fan club so I could get presale and I requested a meet and greet :wub2: 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Aussies :bye::aussie:

Very quiet in the Mikaverse atm.  Seems there will be a new album in 2019; also he is releasing a single on Jan 4th (in English we think) to link with an Italian project he is connected with. He's in France now working on the current series of The Voice.

Everyone getting ready for Christmas?  Hope you have all survived the drought/floods/wildfires etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 8:30 AM, silver said:

Hello Aussies :bye::aussie:

Very quiet in the Mikaverse atm.  Seems there will be a new album in 2019; also he is releasing a single on Jan 4th (in English we think) to link with an Italian project he is connected with. He's in France now working on the current series of The Voice.

Everyone getting ready for Christmas?  Hope you have all survived the drought/floods/wildfires etc.

Hmmm, interesting. Wonder what the new album will be like? I've seen people commenting on the new song but haven't listened to it yet :teehee:

We're doing okay here. It's been pretty hot at the moment (sitting around mid 30's), but the last few days we've had storms in the afternoon with a bit of rain. 

On 12/22/2018 at 8:38 AM, silver said:

Reindog

P1080200a.thumb.jpg.52d58e76374b2054b6e72527e8d445e3.jpg

Love Reindog :wub2: oh, and thank you for the birthday wishes :huglove:

I've been having lots of fun lately :sneaky2: I've been chasing up all sorts of appointments and stuff for Sam. He's been going to see a speech pathologist regularly and we've seen how bad his speech is (we're talking moderate to severe delay) so we'll have to start looking into the disability program to get funding for private speechies and stuff. we've also had a review for Early Intervention and discussing where he's at there and also we've had to think about where he's going to school. So this year he's going doing the preschool program at his daycare one day a week, then one day a week for Transition at the school he's going to next year, then two days a week at Early intervention (2 1/2 hours a day)... THEN I've figured out that we can't quite afford to have me stay at home with Mr Isaac for too long so I'm going to put in for some jobs either on the weekend or nights so we don't have to pay for daycare (cause it's bloody expensive). 

Oh well, at least we had a good weekend away in Canberra (until we were coming back, when we found out Derek's mum was in Intensive Care with bowel/appendix issues - she's okay now) and Shania was quite enjoyable  and managed to get my book signed by Matthew Reilly. I'm not sure, but he may have recognised me as he asked if I'd come to a signing before, which was 2 years previously :fangurl:

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, silver said:

Hi peeps :bye: 

Just been reading about the continuing heatwave - I don't think I could survive temperatures like that, so I hope anyone in the affected areas is managing to keep cool.

@nico_collard

Whoops - pressed enter by mistake :doh:  Anyway Teegs, how is the job-hunting going?  Childcare is ridiculously expensive here too, despite government voucher schemes.

5 hours ago, silver said:

Whoops - pressed enter by mistake :doh:  Anyway Teegs, how is the job-hunting going?  Childcare is ridiculously expensive here too, despite government voucher schemes.

Yet nannies like me are broke...maybe I should move to Australia or to England and I would become rich :teehee:

Good luck with finding a job Teegan :crossed: and with finding a good school for Sam :huglove:

And if you want to listen to Mika's new song here is a link https://youtu.be/201kDUdQFqU

Edited by crazyaboutmika

Yeah, really hot. Apparently a place about 2 hrs from here got to 47 degrees. Another place got to 56 I think :shocked: :sweatdrop:

I've put in an application for one place so far but was going to see how I go with it before I start doing more. 

Daycare hopefully will get cheaper soon, Sam only has one more week of 2 days, then he'll do 1 day there and one day in transition. Even the cost of that over a fortnight will be a lot cheaper. 

Anne: I reckon there's a bit of call for nannies in Oz, it's a little far to be coming here though  :( I think we've got a pretty good school for Sam. It's kinda small and out of town, but they still have good facilities as well as a bus from a few minutes away (the village is no more than 15 mins from home anyway). 

• 2 weeks later...

I love the reindog, Silver :fangurl:

I had no idea there were such a thing as "Mika pens" :fisch: 

Several years ago I was all about the Frixion pens, but then I realised that in heat (ie. left in a car) the writing of Frixion pens on paper disappears, permanently! :shocked: So then I moved to Stabillo fineliners, but then I spilt a glass of water on my notes and the writing disappeared again! :doh: Now I exclusively use Sharpie fineliner pens, they are 100% waterproof and car-proof. :naughty:  But John HATES the Sharpie fineliner pens, and he exclusively uses a particular style of Uni-Ball pens (which I hate), and we both refuse to even write a shopping list or scribbled note with each other's pens :shun: "I need a pen! Why can't I find a pen!!?" "There's three pens right here!" "NO, I need one of MY pens!" :lmfao:

This has been a condensed history of the pens in my household (with illustration). You are welcome :pinkbow:

We watched Bohemian Rhapsody (the movie) and went into a bit of a "Queen phase" afterwards, bought the 3 disc "Queen greatest hits" album and listened to it non-stop for a few weeks. With so many Queen songs I am struck by how it could just be Mika singing. Crazy. Obviously mostly a different style of music, but they just have the same voice :dunno:

• Haha 1

My thinking with pens is that as long as it doesn't smudge when my hand goes over it then I'm sweet. 

I wanted to watch Bohemian Rhapsody but haven't had a chance. I know it's showing at the tiny theatre in Dad's old town so might drive out and watch it there. 

As for weather, it's been not too bad here. There's fires in Victoria and massive amounts of rain in Queensland (Townsville especially). Their dam was 245% full so they've had to open all the flood gates, which will end up causing flash flooding. Seems they've gotten over a metres worth of rain this week. Haven't heard how Ally is but assuming since she's in Cairns and it's not as heavy that she's okay.  My brother is going to have a lot of fun getting back here though, he's supposed to be moving from Mount Isa back home as he has a job starting on the 25th and they're flooded in (the plan was to fly to Townsville, then onto Brisbane then home but that can't happen).