dcdeb

Help with the NEW Software

79 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

By now, you will have seen the upgraded Mika Fan Club forums!

We're trying to make things look like they used to, but there will be some differences, just because this new software has more capabilities - and that's a good thing.

I've created this thread so that anyone who has questions can ask, and we can all support each other as we learn and feel our way around. If anyone has any tips or tricks, please share here, too!

The first thing I want to share is that embedding videos is easier than ever with this upgrade. No need for special code!

All we have to do now is paste the link for the video and it will automatically embed it. Below is a Facebook video, but this also works for Youtube and Vimeo videos. It also will embed content from the following sites: College Humor, Flickr, Gfycat, Google+, Hulu, Instagram, SoundCloud, Spotify, Ted, Twitter, Vine, and internal links to content within our community. So no special code is necessary -- just type in or paste the link. A line will pop up at the bottom of the text box saying that the link has been embedded, and it gives you an option to not embed the content, just post the link.

11 people like this

Updating you with good news as I ended up being able to post with my phone with an updated browser so I'm really happy :biggrin2:  Using UC Browser on android if it can be useful for other members.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Dreamy_Queen said:

Can we go to the last page at once to the topics of Unread Content?

So Dreamy_Queen asked the above in another thread.

If you look at the list of threads, you'll see a blue dot to the left of the threads with new content you haven't seen yet. If you click on the blue dot, it will take you to the last post you read in that thread.

last-read.jpg

1 person likes this

It really looks good to me so far but what I miss  a little bit are the numbers of the posts

1 person likes this

I just logged in on my phone and I must say I love it so far. 😉

Looks great on my phone! Hope to visit MFC more. 

Edited by Jojotje
1 person likes this

Looks great, thanks for all your work and do❤💐👍🏻🥂👏🏻👏🏻

8 hours ago, dcdeb said:

So Dreamy_Queen asked the above in another thread.

If you look at the list of threads, you'll see a blue dot to the left of the threads with new content you haven't seen yet. If you click on the blue dot, it will take you to the last post you read in that thread.

last-read.jpg

BTW I like the way we can add image, seems more easy.

Thanks for the reply!

Oh, I see... if I enter the forum parts, I can go to the last page.

As I understand, this function lacks only in Unread, like on my screenshot. Or maybe I'm missing something and there still exists New Content? 

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 12.39.28.png

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

Spoiler
Spoiler

I had a quick look and it looks really good, thanks Deb!

I liked a lot the change in emoticons, very easy to use now! Good thinking also to put in the most recently used ones!

:thumb_yello:  :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello:

Edited by dotoli

Looks really great to me. Thanks so much to all who have made these changes possible. :flowers2:

Just a question. Do you think I have to delete my signature? It takes a lot of room, especially the letters. I try to put them more close but it says "your signature does not meet the guidelines"

Edit: Problem solved, by now. :wink2:

Edited by Mikasister

on the computer the new layout looks nice and works great. Thanks for all your hard work Deb & Karin!

However, on my tablet (my main way of accessing MFC) i can read posts and that's about it. :tears: Anything that involves typing won't work; touching in the reply box doesn't pull up the keyboard, chat opens and says i'm there but nothing loads except the "leave chatroom" and the volume button, i can't even post a status update.  I hope there's some mobile version i can use like with the old layout... 

Wow, the new MFC looks awesome on my phone!!

I like the computer version very much too, I felt lost at first but after a few clics I realised it is not that different so I think I'm gonna find my footing easily - well I don't know what I was doing at first, I kept ending on people's profile page when I wanted to open a thread but it's okay now :D . What I was using the most before was all the options in the "new content" feed (unread content, content I posted in etc) and I am relieved to find them all again as I was a bit scared of loosing some of them.

And now that I am posting my first message and thus using the preview thing for the first time, OMG! The possibility to see how it'll look like on computers, tablets and phone is awesome!

Big thanks to all those who worked on this :flowers2:  (oh a search bar for emoticons, how cool is that :glasses2: )

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Mikasister said:

Looks really great to me. Thanks so much to all who have made these changes possible. :flowers2:

Just a question. Do you think I have to delete my signature? It takes a lot of room, especially the letters. I try to put them more close but it says "your signature does not meet the guidelines"

Edit: Problem solved, by now. :wink2:

Alba, it looks like you have a lot of white space at the bottom of your sig. You should be able to edit it and delete all the extra returns to clean that up. If you can't, lmk and I'll take care of it for you. :thumb_yello:

Also, it seems that this new format uses a double-space for one return -- in other words you don't have to space twice to put enough room between your paragraphs. It's something I have been doing automatically and it will be a hard habit to break. Perhaps we can fix it in a stylesheet.

But I wanted to explain why all of our posts before yesterday have so much space between paragraphs. I'm afraid there's no good way for us to go back and fix those all retroactively, so we'll have to live with a lot of long posts and white space. :dunno:

52 minutes ago, kreacher said:

on the computer the new layout looks nice and works great. Thanks for all your hard work Deb & Karin!

However, on my tablet (my main way of accessing MFC) i can read posts and that's about it. :tears: Anything that involves typing won't work; touching in the reply box doesn't pull up the keyboard, chat opens and says i'm there but nothing loads except the "leave chatroom" and the volume button, i can't even post a status update.  I hope there's some mobile version i can use like with the old layout... 

Hmm, Dee, not sure why that would be. I checked the site on my phone, but not on my iPad yet. Will do that later today and try to figure out what's going on.

It doesn't seem that there's a specific mobile version -- I think they've made this version what they call "responsive". In other words it is designed to be mobile-friendly.

Apparently, however, it's not friendly with your iPad! :lol3: We'll figure it out soon!

1 person likes this

I can't see video and pics in the media section and in the concert reports. It says that there is an error in the database. Is something that has  still to be fixed? Thanks.

Edited by lormare73

15 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Alba, it looks like you have a lot of white space at the bottom of your sig. You should be able to edit it and delete all the extra returns to clean that up. If you can't, lmk and I'll take care of it for you. :thumb_yello:

Also, it seems that this new format uses a double-space for one return -- in other words you don't have to space twice to put enough room between your paragraphs. It's something I have been doing automatically and it will be a hard habit to break. Perhaps we can fix it in a stylesheet.

But I wanted to explain why all of our posts before yesterday have so much space between paragraphs. I'm afraid there's no good way for us to go back and fix those all retroactively, so we'll have to live with a lot of long posts and white space. :dunno:

I think this is a good idea. Im very bad at technology. Thanks so much, Deb. :flowers2:

1 hour ago, dcdeb said:

Hmm, Dee, not sure why that would be. I checked the site on my phone, but not on my iPad yet. Will do that later today and try to figure out what's going on.

It doesn't seem that there's a specific mobile version -- I think they've made this version what they call "responsive". In other words it is designed to be mobile-friendly.

Apparently, however, it's not friendly with your iPad! :lol3: We'll figure it out soon!

mine's a derpy Nook Tablet and not an ipad so maybe that's why it's not responding well at all :doh:

BTW, i meant to say i had tried my 3 different browsers & tried changing their settings from "android" to "desktop", sometimes that fools sites into working but sadly this time it did nothing. 

Edited by kreacher

Wow! I don't have to use my glasses! :nerd:

Smileys are awesome too!

:cloud:

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, lormare73 said:

I can't see video and pics in the media section and in the concert reports. It says that there is an error in the database. Is something that has  still to be fixed? Thanks.

I don't have any trouble seeing video or photos in those sections. Can you tell me specifically what you're having trouble with? Making make a screen shot of the error messages you're getting? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Mikasister said:

I think this is a good idea. Im very bad at technology. Thanks so much, Deb. :flowers2:

OK, Alba. It looks good to me now. :)

1 hour ago, kreacher said:

mine's a derpy Nook Tablet and not an ipad so maybe that's why it's not responding well at all :doh:

BTW, i meant to say i had tried my 3 different browsers & tried changing their settings from "android" to "desktop", sometimes that fools sites into working but sadly this time it did nothing. 

Well, Nook or iPad, it should react the same. I hate to say it, but everything works fine on my iPad, no problems at all. :(

I'll look into whether there are any known issues with Nook. In the meantime, maybe try changing the theme -- if you look way at the bottom of the screen there will be a link when you can choose the MFC theme or the Default theme, which will be plain blue and gray. See if the Default theme works for you, and if it does, maybe we've done something in our customization that has affected your iPad. If that's the case, we'll see how we can fix it. Thanks!

Oh, BTW, I just got a notice that you chat people are not going to be happy about. Our provider has decided to drop the chat function effective May 1. They  say that they've seen a steady decline and feel they can best put their resources elsewhere. So... we'll look into whether there's some good alternative. Sorry about that.

3 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

OK, Alba. It looks good to me now. :)

It looks  good to me too. Thank you very much.:huglove:

25 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

I don't have any trouble seeing video or photos in those sections. Can you tell me specifically what you're having trouble with? Making make a screen shot of the error messages you're getting? Thanks.

Maybe I was unlucky. Now I can see most of the videos in the media section but for some of them it appears this message. And in the 2010 San paolo report I see this. Maybe in the reports thread it depends on the fact that some videos don't exist anymore?

Screenshot_2017-03-21-18-23-19.png

Screenshot_2017-03-21-18-25-52.png

Edited by lormare73

I haven't problems with my phone and with my PC. It's easier and faster!! :hi5:

Thank you very much for all!! :fangurl:

1 person likes this