"Ms Panduck" here... :)

swandog

For those of you who may have read my hubby's long intro, I'm "Panduck's" American expat wife, and I just wanted to chime in to say hello to everyone as well, and state that I've very rarely had any new musician affect me as deeply and instantly as MIKA has, after hearing the rest of his music. Previously, I had only heard "Lollipop", years back, and thought it (and the vid of course) was awesome, but I never knew there was really anything more. I hadn't even heard "Grace Kelley", so I was pretty much totally in the dark (which is partly my fault; I'll explain below), until my hubby pointed me to more of MIKA's music that he had found last week (we have basically the same tastes in music, thankfully!).

I'll be 45 this month, and grew up with all the classic artists, having faves spanning from the 50's to the 90's, and for decades I firmly believed that no new pop artist could ever be on par with the best of them, or even come close, so I had pretty much stopped listening to the radio after the 90's. No offence to any of the other new pop artists, but almost everything I've heard played in restaurants, bars, shopping centres, gyms, bowling alleys, the public pool, the doc's office (and everywhere else that plays current, mainstream "hits") just ground on my ears and nerves, and I would often just want to plug my ears and flee those spaces to avoid hearing any more. And any modern music I did actually love was by obscure artists that you would never hear on the radio anyway.

So I stubbornly stuck to my massive retro playlist on Spotify, and in frustration and despair, gave up hope of ever finding any new artist that was worth listening to, aside from a rare few that might have one or two decent songs. Thus I never really even bothered to look any further than that, which was rather close-minded of me, I know. :P But then...finally, thank heavens...I heard MIKA's other songs (literally, everything I could find by him), and it was like...how can I explain it? Like opening your eyes and seeing the world again for the first time...or seeing a whole new world you never knew was there, and immediately plunging headlong into it. It was--and is--completely overwhelming, and I'm still reeling from it, a week later. I can't even wrap my brain around it, or put it into words...I guess maybe the lyrics to "Underwater" sum up best how I feel.

So all this is to say...I really can't thank MIKA enough for enabling me fall in love with new music again, for bringing back that joy, hope, depth and life to music the way I remember it used to be for me. For filling my eyes with tears, and sending chills down my spine. For lyrics that painfully grip and rip into the very core of my being, and melodies that set my spirit soaring free. For making me feel young at heart again and helping these achy old bones to dance once more. My only hope now is to be able to see him in concert someday before my health gives out and I can't travel anymore (I have MS). In the meantime, I plan to try to do some fanart to show my appreciation, since I'm better with pictures than words. :)

Anyway, thanks for reading this far, if you did, and it's nice to meet you all! <3

~Xenia ("Swandog")

• Like 15

Welcome Xenia!! Yay we have a sweet couple here! 

"So all this is to say...I really can't thank MIKA enough for enabling me fall in love with new music again, for bringing back that joy, hope, depth and life to music the way I remember it used to be for me." 

I love this! ?? Touched :)

The most precious part is that he brought us hope and love...

Have a good day.

P/s: I wish that MS is under control..tons of wishes..

Take care

Nie

• Like 1

Hi Xenia, welcome to MFC. Wow you are such a good writer, the phrases are very touching, almost poetic.  "For filling my eyes with tears, and sending chills down my spine. For lyrics that painfully grip and rip into the very core of my being, and melodies that set my spirit soaring free" Absolutely love these sentences. Also, I just saw the artworks that you posted on FB, they are stunning! 

Edited by yang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nie said:

P/s: I wish that MS is under control..tons of wishes..

Things are looking promising, after starting the treatment she is on now a bit over a year ago, MS has been inactive. But the treatment even is quite heavy and takes a real toll on the body. But it is better than what MS does to you. I hope it will be inactive for a long time.

• Like 3

Welcome to the MFC! :welcomeani:

Your husband and you sure are great writers, I loved reading your introductions.

I'm sure you'll find everything you want to know about Mika here; have fun!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, swandog said:

No offence to any of the other new pop artists, but almost everything I've heard played in restaurants, bars, shopping centres, gyms, bowling alleys, the public pool, the doc's office (and everywhere else that plays current, mainstream "hits") just ground on my ears and nerves, and I would often just want to plug my ears and flee those spaces to avoid hearing any more.

Unfortunately you are right, TV and radio stations promote mostly mainstream trashy music. Almost all the big superstars are using autotuning or lip sync during concerts, it became a normality nowadays.  That's why it feels like you have discovered a hidden treasure when you step into Mika's world. 

Welcome to MFC, I hope you and your husband will enjoy it, and you'll manage to attend to Mika gigs soon   :welcomeani:  See you around :punk:

• Like 2

Hello Xenia and Welcome to the MFC and have a lot of fun here.

I really loved to read your introduction, you and your husband are very good with words and you both make us feel your excitment while discovering Mika. I still remember how I felt when I found out about him and to say the truth it never ended until now. He made me do things I never thought I would be able to do, like travelling allone, using a Computer, learning French after improving my forgotten English and so on. Yes, Mika made my life so much more colourful and I met so many fantastic people because of him and I wish you and your husband the same amount of fun and colours.

Right now we are in a very quiet time as he is working on his new album and some other projects and we all hope he will tour again next year. Until then you can watch some nice videos on Youtube if you need some links let us know.

• Like 3

On a sidenote, me & Swandog met because of music. The first thing we talked about on a chat-room (IRC, if anyone remembers), was how much we love Loreena McKennitt. 

We have a signed CD by her as a result of this. Music means a lot in our relationship, and I am very happy we are now discovering MIKA together! We have both decided that there will be a vacation to whatever town MIKA holds his next concert in :)

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Panduck said:

We have both decided that there will be a vacation to whatever town MIKA holds his next concert in :)

That's the best way to choose a destination for holidays :naughty:  

• Like 2

Oh, Xenia. What a wonderful introduction! 

I deeply loved this part: "Like opening your eyes and seeing the world again for the first time...or seeing a whole new world you never knew was there, and immediately plunging headlong into it." I relate so much to your words, it's like you put down my feelings in a sentence, so thanks a lot for writing this beautiful intro :wub2:

I'm very glad you both found Mika and this site, to share your passion and excitement with all of us! I can't wait to hear more about your impressions, and I'm also very interested to see your fanart :D

A big welcome to the MFC and see you around :bye: 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for reading my intro, and for your warm welcome and kind comments; I already feel at home here, and look forward to getting to know you guys better! <3

• Like 5

hi Xenia, Welcome here and thanks for your poetic words about my favorite singer. Enjoy your new acquaintance with Mika, joy and hope.

Here a link to a thread with many clips of great performances and interviews. I hope you like it.

• Like 2

Welcome and I hope you will have fun and get the chance to see Mika perform live :hug: I love what you wrote and I hope your health will remain the best it can:blush-anim-cl: