emilyb

New to MFC!!

Hey, I'm new to the MFC! 

I recently bought a subscription to apple music because it was more compatible with my apple watch and iPhone. The Origin of Love was a playlist that Apple had recommended to me a few weeks ago. I quickly fell in love with him/his music and binge listened....if that's a thing... to all of his other albums. I somehow stayed up until 4am!

I love how much meaning and depth some of the songs have behind them and he is an absolutely brilliant artist. I can't ever seem to describe how his music makes you feel. It's almost as if he brings you out of reality and into this whole other world, and makes you feel happy/joyful! I also love that each music video tells its own story!

I look forward to new music he will hopefully soon release because I can't seem to get enough! I am hoping that he tours somewhere around Charlotte, NC because I would love to see him in concert!

Also, does anyone know where you could buy Mika t-shirts as they are sold out on his site! I look forward to making new friends though the MFC!

Emily 

Edited by emilyb
  • Like 6

Omg, Hello! And you're american too! Hello fellow american! I love when we get new people who are also new fans. Often new people here are long term fans who are simply just now making accounts. But you are new to the fandom!

Welcome to MFC and welcome to the fandom! Let me see, what's a proper introduction. *inhales*

Let me briefly introduce myself: I had a long term awareness of Mika without being an involved fan, but he kept coming back into my life, and one day something switched in my brain and I fell head over heels. I'm not SUPER active here (I spend most of my time on instagram) but I read just about every news/update thread and I'm always lurking around a corner somewhere or writing multi-paragraph posts. I'm a rather enthusiastic human :lmfao: 

Binge listening to the albums is absolutely wonderful. The Boy Who Knew Too Much is my personal favorite, but of course everyone has different favorites! I also absolutely love the symphonic album/performances. He is so amazing with a symphony behind him. There's a filmed DVD of the symphony show as well, which is just

*happy sigh*. I think my favorite SONG all around has got be a rather odd one - it's a bonus track on one of the deluxe editions of The Origin of Love, and the Cherokee Remix of Make You Happy. It's very similar to chillhop, which is a sort of odd music style I really love.

I'm not sure if you've watched many interviews with him yet but if you have not, I strongly recommend you do. Honestly, with Mika, the music is only the tip of the iceberg, and the man is even more amazing than the music. The first things you'll pick up on are that he's about the sweetest person ever and he picks up languages like no one else! If you have any desire to follow Mika himself "around the world" as it were through his television career, get ready for a European language explosion. He was a judge on X Factor Italy from 2013-2015 (3 seasons) and has been a coach on The Voice (France) since 2014 (4 seasons so far, about to film the fifth). And of course, there's Stasera Casa Mika (his italian TV show) which is in the middle of its second season right now. I spend a lot of time on Instagram (my handle is christmaswithlokiandthephantom), where I run a Mika/multi-fandom fan page and between there and here I honestly think the multi-lingualism is one of the defining characteristics of the fandom. This forum is entirely in English (except for the dedicated other language threads) but for many people here English is a second language, and if you venture into the fandom on Instagram almost everyone speaks either French or Italian. I don't know why I feel like this is so important, but to me it is. I think it's because almost everyone I know in this fandom (myself included) is learning a second language (either English, French or Italian) in order to understand both Mika and each other better, and the patience and love everyone has, as we learn languages, google translate things, and speak about our shared affection across language barriers, is really beautiful. on the note of languages, that brings me to what I think is the most important thread on this whole site:

We have a lovely group of saint-level people who devote some of their free time to subtitling mika's interviews (and Stasera Casa Mika) into English and other languages. If you want to watch + learn about as much Mika as you can, this is the thread!

@dcdeb is kind of the forum's mother and @Kumazzz is the queen of multi-media. and of course, there's a mod squad with too many names to list but they're all incredibly lovely.

I'll leave you with a semi-random video, this interview isn't super important for any reason but it's just really cute and one of my personal favorites, and it always makes me smile. 

Welcome to the fandom and have all the fun on the long and wonderful Mika-related journey ahead of you!

• Like 5

@ladyolivier  Yay! It's nice to talk to someone who understands how amazing he is! I have spent the last two weeks listening to his music and videos and such on Apple music, youtube, and of course Instagram. I'm sure that by now all my friends are sick of me talking about him lol (however I have made a few listen to his music and they fell in love).  Anyway, he is such a kind-hearted, amazing man. I have listened to his music when I was much younger and never really got into it. Now that I'm older, I find purpose and meaning in his music. I have been playing instruments for 10+ years in band class at school (so I have experience in music and such) but never really started listening to music (like pop, country, etc) until I got a phone very late on in HS so I'm pretty late in the game.

I love all of his music so much so its hard to pick a favorite! I really do enjoy the Origin of Love album because (this may sound weird and I'm not sure if you know what I'm trying to say) it makes you feel something and you make a connection with the songs which hasn't ever happened to me before. 

I did watch a few lengthy interviews that were all spoken in Italian and had English subtitles but I love learning more about him. I did start to watch his tv show but it's hard when you don't understand the language and there are no subtitles. I'll have to check out that link!! Thank you!! I do want to learn French or Italian so I can understand what he says and what other fans are saying!

I really hope when he announces his new tour schedule it will include more of the states. From what I can find from past tours he goes to California and New York so I hope he comes somewhere close to NC that I could drive and bring along some friends! I've never actually been to a concert because it seemed like I always had work or sports practice and I none of the artists that I loved came close enough/at the right time for me to be able to go. Mika would be the perfect first concert because I have never felt this connected to someone's music. 

This is just a cute video that I watched a few days ago if you haven't seen it yet!

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to the MFC. Have a lot of fun. Enjoy Mika and his music. :welcomeani:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ladyolivier said:

I had a long term awareness of Mika without being an involved fan, but he kept coming back into my life, and one day something switched in my brain and I fell head over heels.

:lmfao:I can so relate to this, that's exactly my story! And of course, welcome emilyb! :)

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, emilyb said:

Hey, I'm new to the MFC! 

I recently bought a subscription to apple music because it was more compatible with my apple watch and iPhone. The Origin of Love was a playlist that Apple had recommended to me a few weeks ago. I quickly fell in love with him/his music and binge listened....if that's a thing... to all of his other albums. I somehow stayed up until 4am!

I love how much meaning and depth some of the songs have behind them and he is an absolutely brilliant artist. I can't ever seem to describe how his music makes you feel. It's almost as if he brings you out of reality and into this whole other world, and makes you feel happy/joyful! I also love that each music video tells its own story!

I look forward to new music he will hopefully soon release because I can't seem to get enough! I am hoping that he tours somewhere around Charlotte, NC because I would love to see him in concert!

Also, does anyone know where you could buy Mika t-shirts as they are sold out on his site! I look forward to making new friends though the MFC!

Emily 

What a lovely introduction :wub2:

Welcome to Mika's wonderful world, Emily! And to the MFC, of course! Hope you're gonna have lots of fun :D

About the t-shirts, I think you could be able to find something on eBay! 

See you around :bye: 

Edited by sara09
  • Thanks 1

Hi Emily! NIce to meet you. I'm Dominika from Poland :bye: I really like your introduction :wink2: I had the same feelings when I started listening to him :wub: So welcome on board and have a lot of fun here :cheer:

• Thanks 1

Hi and welcome to the MFC :bye:

Here's another thread you might like to check out

• Thanks 1

Hi Emily! :bye:

I'm Gabriella and I live in Italy, nice to meet you and welcome to the MFC! :welcomeani:

Have fun here! :yay:

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the MFC ans have a lot of fun here.  I'm Sabine from Germany. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sabine64 said:

Welcome to the MFC ans have a lot of fun here.  I'm Sabine from Germany. 

Thank you! It nice talking to others here because I'm pretty sure my friends are sick of me talking about how amazing Mika and his music is:lmfao:

Ton introduction est géniale Emily !!

Je partage tout à fait ton avis.:wink2:

c'est génial que nous puissions nous parler alors que nous venons de pays différents ! (je suis française) 

Merci à Mika qui réussi à nous réunir autour de sa merveilleuse et incroyable musique...

Il éclaire notre vie au quotidien ! :wub:

Edited by Maria :)
  • Like 1

Hi Emily!

Welcome to the MFC :welcomeani:  I'm sure you'll have fun here :wink2:

(Isn't it nice that there's a song title with your name? :biggrin2:)

Edited by camille*
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, camille* said:

Hi Emily!

Welcome to the MFC :welcomeani:  I'm sure you'll have fun here :wink2:

(Isn't it nice that there's a song title with your name? :biggrin2:)

I have! It's so nice to talk to others who love Mika! I'm relatively new to his music (about a month) and you should have seen me when I saw that song haha I was so happy:lmfao:

I hope you are not Mrs Brown she had a hard live with her Billy :lmfao:

Edited by Dominika
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dominika said:

I hope you are not Mrs Brown she had a hard live with her Billy :lmfao:

I actually am :lmfao:

48 minutes ago, emilyb said:

Yes, I know but I meant the Mrs Brown from the song :bleh::lmfao:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, emilyb said: