emilyb

Mikas' Stories

I thought this thread could be used to discuss what Mika's music means to you and what story you find in each song. He is notorious for hiding stories within his songs, some are obvious while others can be hidden until you really take a look at his lyrics. Each person could interpret his songs a different way! I will add links here to his commentary on the Origin of Love album! If you have any links to where he explains what story he is trying to tell send me a personal message so I can add it to the list!

Comment a song below and what it means to you and what story you find in it!

Life In Cartoon Motion 

The Boy Who Knew Too Much 

The Origin of Love

Edited by emilyb
  • Like 2

Wow!! What a fantastic idea!!! I really like your initiative !!!!  :thumb_yello:   :wink2:    

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, G4p_F0x said:

Wow!! What a fantastic idea!!! I really like your initiative !!!!  :thumb_yello:   :wink2:    

Thank you so much! @Dominika made a status update which gave me the idea for this!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, G4p_F0x said:

Thanks also for the videos you put!!!! 

You are welcome! So what was the first song that you heard of his that got you hooked??

So, I will put here my thoughts on Lady Jane song from my status update :wink2:
To me this song is about chasing your dreams (sometimes in different ways like Lady Jane and the King) but you have to remember that fulfilling them don't lasts forever. There is always something standing on the way but despite that you have to be courageous to reach for them because it can give you the most beautiful moments of happiness :blush-anim-cl:

What are your thoughts on this song?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dominika said:

So, I will put here my thoughts on Lady Jane song from my status update :wink2:
To me this song is about chasing your dreams (sometimes in different ways like Lady Jane and the King) but you have to remember that fulfilling them don't lasts forever. There is always something standing on the way but despite that you have to be courageous to reach for them because it can give you the most beautiful moments of happiness :blush-anim-cl:

What are your thoughts on this song?

I think what you said is absolutely brilliant! When I first heard it I thought of Romeo and Juliet but that is simply on the surface! There is always so much more to his songs!! I never knew what lollipop was really about until I saw the video on it! @Dominika

Edited by emilyb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, emilyb said:

You are welcome! So what was the first song that you heard of his that got you hooked??

Okay,so... Mika's first song I ever listened was Grace Kelly thanks to my mom: I was little and this colorful song made me dancing every time... With the pass of years I grew up and also the meaning of this song changed: today it reminds me every time I thought to be different and that people could not like me cause I was "strange" and for this I was very sad, but this song made me understand that we can be all we want to be and that the more important thing is that we have to like to ourselves before than like to the others...  Sorry for my English, I'm still studying!!!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G4p_F0x said:

Okay,so... Mika's first song I ever listened was Grace Kelly thanks to my mom: I was little and this colorful song made me dancing every time... With the pass of years I grew up and also the meaning of this song changed: today it reminds me every time I thought to be different and that people could not like me cause I was "strange" and for this I was very sad, but this song made me understand that we can be all we want to be and that the more important thing is that we have to like to ourselves before than like to the others...  Sorry for my English, I'm still studying!!!!! 

You are doing such a good job with your English! I'm just starting to learn French so I can understand others on the MFC and Mika:lmfao:The song reminds me of the same thing! You need to just be yourself and not try to be like others! Yes, you could act like others but you will never be happy! Be yourself and love yourself (much easier said than done) and if other people don't like you too bad! Don't go through life trying to please others. It is such a strong, beautiful message!:wub2:

• Like 2

The first Mika song I heard was "Big Girls You Are Beautiful", someone sang it at karaoke but I didn't even know of Mika at the time. The song that really hooked me into his music was "Underwater", specifically the live version he performed on The Voice. I was just letting Youtube autoplay and it brought me to that video and when he started singing I stopped what I was doing and just listened, letting his voice and music and lyrics carry me away to a soothing underwater world. When I heard the orchestra version of that song I completely fell in love with it. When I can't fall asleep at night I put it on and let the music calm me. When he reaches the chorus I always see this image in my mind of a girl letting go of everything and falling into the water, letting the waves surround her and releasing all of her cares to the ocean. And then I'm relaxed and I fall asleep.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Elenita said:

The first Mika song I heard was "Big Girls You Are Beautiful", someone sang it at karaoke but I didn't even know of Mika at the time. The song that really hooked me into his music was "Underwater", specifically the live version he performed on The Voice. I was just letting Youtube autoplay and it brought me to that video and when he started singing I stopped what I was doing and just listened, letting his voice and music and lyrics carry me away to a soothing underwater world. When I heard the orchestra version of that song I completely fell in love with it. When I can't fall asleep at night I put it on and let the music calm me. When he reaches the chorus I always see this image in my mind of a girl letting go of everything and falling into the water, letting the waves surround her and releasing all of her cares to the ocean. And then I'm relaxed and I fall asleep.

Apple music recommended me The Origin of Love album and that is what got me hooked! The first thing that caught me was how amazing his voice was (both recorded and live) and then the next was I loved how unique every single song was. Each has a message, or story, or a special meaning to him and it's like he is sharing his life with us through music! Absolutely magical! I love the message in Grace Kelly and that you will go mad trying to be someone else to please others!:wub2: This is one of my favorite live performances right now but of course, every single performance he does is spectacular!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, emilyb said:

Vous faites un si bon travail avec votre anglais! Je commence juste à apprendre le français pour que je puisse comprendre les autres sur le MFC et Mika : lmfao:La chanson me rappelle la même chose! Vous devez juste être vous-même et ne pas essayer d'être comme les autres! Oui, vous pourriez agir comme les autres mais vous ne serez jamais heureux! Soyez vous-même et aimez-vous (beaucoup plus facile à dire qu'à faire) et si les autres ne vous aiment pas trop mal! Ne traversez pas la vie en essayant de faire plaisir aux autres. C'est un message si fort et si beau!: wub2:

I totally agree !! 

The importance is to be oneself. 

Ainsi, les gens qui nous aiment, nous aiment pour ce que nous sommes et non pour la personne qui ne nous ressemble pas.

There is a quote of Oscar Wilde who says " be yourself, all other are already taken". 

And an other says "je sais que je ne plaît pas à tout le monde, mais quand je vois à qui je ne plaît pas, je me demande si ça me dérange vraiment." 

De toute façon je pense que quoi que nous fassions, il y aura toujours quelqu'un pour nous critiquer, alors faisons ce que bon nous semble, et faisons le fièrement !! :wink2:

In my highschool, everybody are similar, I find them absurd. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Maria :) said:

I totally agree !! 

The importance is to be oneself. 

Ainsi, les gens qui nous aiment, nous aiment pour ce que nous sommes et non pour la personne qui ne nous ressemble pas.

There is a quote of Oscar Wilde who says " be yourself, all other are already taken". 

And an other says "je sais que je ne plaît pas à tout le monde, mais quand je vois à qui je ne plaît pas, je me demande si ça me dérange vraiment." 

De toute façon je pense que quoi que nous fassions, il y aura toujours quelqu'un pour nous critiquer, alors faisons ce que bon nous semble, et faisons le fièrement !! :wink2:

In my highschool, everybody are similar, I find them absurd. 

Everything you said was absolutely true! If people are just themselves they will be much happier! I love that Oscar Wilde quote so much!

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Maria :) said:

http://lyricstranslate.com/fr/je-chante-im-singing.html

Hello everybody !! 

Here is the traduction of lyrics "je chante". 

How do you understand them ? 

What do you think mika want to say by this song ? 🙂

But those arent Mika's lyrics. It's not a song of him. That song is from Charles Trenet, a french singer. Mika just made a new version.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Je_chante

Edited by Mikasister
  • Like 3

Oh thank you ! 

I didn't know !! 

• Like 2

I take the trains here in France a lot but have never met Mika on one!  Live in hope though:mf_rosetinted:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fan1955 said:

I take the trains here in France a lot but have never met Mika on one!  Live in hope though:mf_rosetinted:

I met him once , his mom and the band at the airport. It was a great surprise and Max wanted to invite me to have a coffee :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Lucky you! Love Max too, I think he comes from near where I used to live in UK. I saw Mika at the recording of the Voice last month. He came into the audience before the recording started to talk to some MFC members.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dominika said:

So how is he in the direct contact with fans?

Mika or Max?

3 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

Mika or Max?

All of them :biggrin2:

13 minutes ago, Dominika said:

All of them :biggrin2:

My personal experience is really good. Mika was always kind and attentive with me and Max was very nice. We exchanged some words about his father and about Mika. 

Edited by Mikasister
  • Like 3

That's really nice to hear that he is patient with the fans and trying to interact with them. Happy for you :wink2:

2 minutes ago, Dominika said:

That's really nice to hear that he is patient with the fans and trying to interact with them. Happy for you :wink2:

Yes but fans should be respectful and act normally, be yourself, not screaming like crazy or trying  to jump over him. :wink2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1