BBC Radio 2 presents the songs of Andrew Lloyd Webber

Amy hudsone

MIKA will perform a song of Andrew Lloyd Webber on radio2 for a dedicated show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2018/andrew-lloyd-webber

Imagine some of the greatest songs written by Andrew Lloyd Webber - I Don’t Know How To Love Him, Don’t Cry For Me Argentina and Jesus Christ Superstar - and then imagine them again as never before.

This Easter, as part of BBC Radio 2’s commitment to celebrating the UK’s musical cultural heritage, the station will broadcast four programmes to celebrate the 70th birthday of one of Britain’s most successful composers, Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Lewis Carnie, Head of Radio 2 says: “What a great way to say Happy Birthday! We wanted to make this show to prove how great these songs are and how they stand up to interpretation. These really are at the core of The Great British Songbook and will be performed and interpreted for generations to come.”

Jo Whiley presents Andrew Lloyd Webber - Variations, starring artists who’ve been asked to select and perform a famous hit from the master’s songbook.

In this programme, Rick Astley records Don’t Cry For Me Argentina, Ronan Keating performs Tell me On A Sunday, Holly Johnson sings his version of As If We Never Said Goodbye and Anne-Marie performs Whistle Down The Wind.

Other songs and singers are All I Ask Of You (Imelda May), Another Suitcase In Another Hall (Nerina Pallot), Any Dream Will Do (Seth Lakeman), Close Every Door (Hoseah Partch), Gethsemane (Marc Almond), I Don’t Know How To Love Him (Bright Light Bright Light), It’s Easy For You (Jack Savoretti), Jesus Christ Superstar (Peter Bence), Only You (Mica Paris), Memory (The Shires), Phantom Of The Opera (Ricky Wilson), Pie Jesu (Nikhil D’Souza), Song Of The King (The Vamps), The Music Of The Night (Mika), Unexpected Song (Vincent Niclo), Variations (Leo Green and Band).

Jo Whiley says: “These are all such wonderful songs; all of our listeners will have their own favourites. Now they can hear them again, but in a completely different way. I am sure many like me, can’t wait to hear the new versions.”

In addition, Melanie C, who played Mary Magdalene in the hit 2012 arena tour of Jesus Christ Superstar, will present the story of this hit rock opera from the early seventies that shot Andrew Lloyd Webber to fame. The Superstar Story will see contributions from performers, producers, directors and critics including Tony Hadley, Murray Head, Paul Nicholas, Marcia Hines, Cameron Mackintosh, Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber himself.

Melanie C says: “I am really looking forward to telling the story of this fantastic musical, which I love, for Andrew Lloyd Webber's 70th birthday celebrations on BBC Radio 2.”

In other programming, Jonathan Ross will contribute to the celebrations with Jonathan Ross On Andrew Lloyd Webber and Michael Ball will introduce rarely-heard interviews with the composer from the 1970s in Andrew Lloyd Webber at The BBC.

• Andrew Lloyd Webber At The BBC will be broadcast on Friday 30 March (midday-2pm)
  • Jonathan Ross on Andrew Lloyd Webber will be broadcast on Sunday 1 April (1-3pm)
  • The Superstar Story, presented by Melanie C will be broadcast on Sunday 1 April (7-9pm)
  • Andrew Lloyd Webber - Variations will be broadcast on Monday 2 April (8-10pm)

:Update::Update::Update:

BBC Radio 2

Andrew Lloyd Webber... Variations

MixCloud ( a whole of the radio program )

AudioMack : orange-downloading-updates-256.png.805eb8a7e4db0ece23231b8754f2ca38.png you may D/L MP3 audio-file (15.6 MB)

YouTube

Edited by Kumazzz
updating
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 11

44 minutes ago, Amy hudsone said:

The Music Of The Night

:cloud:one of my dreams comes true !!!

Hope they upload the video. :pray:

the song anybody knows

Edited by Kumazzz
typo
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I am beyond excited right now.  As a huge fan of musical theatre, it will be a dream come true to hear Mika perform this song.  "Music of the Night" is one of my favourite songs, and to hear Mika sing it will be simply magical. :wub2:

The strange thing is, I was talking to my mum yesterday, and I specifically remember saying how I'd love to hear Mika perform this song... and now he is!  My prayers have been answered.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

I started nearly crying when I saw this! I am absolutely obsessed with phantom and have been saying for years how much I want Mika to sing anything from Phantom. This was honestly a wish I did not think was ever coming true. I am so ridiculously happy! I can't wait to hear what he does with it. I would love to hear him break out that classically trained Baritone he doesn't use nearly enough; however the Phantom is not necessarily a very deep voice. While Broadway usually casts actors with very deep voices in the role, the first phantom ever (Michael Crawford) is a tenor and generally sang the role in a higher register. The thing with Phantom is that his voice isn't supposed to be supernaturally deep or sexy, it's just supposed to be supernatural. He's otherworldly and puts Christine into a literal trance with his voice. My personal favorite Phantom singer is Peter Jöback -he's not super popular and a lot of people hate his voice but I really adore the unique and ethereal nature he puts into the songs. It's very easy to believe that he's a sort of otherworldly character.

Wow I'm so happy about this :wub2:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ladyolivier said:

I started nearly crying when I saw this! I am absolutely obsessed with phantom and have been saying for years how much I want Mika to sing anything from Phantom. This was honestly a wish I did not think was ever coming true. I am so ridiculously happy! I can't wait to hear what he does with it. I would love to hear him break out that classically trained Baritone he doesn't use nearly enough; however the Phantom is not necessarily a very deep voice. While Broadway usually casts actors with very deep voices in the role, the first phantom ever (Michael Crawford) is a tenor and generally sang the role in a higher register. The thing with Phantom is that his voice isn't supposed to be supernaturally deep or sexy, it's just supposed to be supernatural. He's otherworldly and puts Christine into a literal trance with his voice. My personal favorite Phantom singer is Peter Jöback -he's not super popular and a lot of people hate his voice but I really adore the unique and ethereal nature he puts into the songs. It's very easy to believe that he's a sort of otherworldly character.

my favorite Phantom singer is Peter Hoffman(German Version)

I feel like some part of my brain started screaming when I heard about this 2 days ago and it still hasn't stopped :lmfao: I'm having a hard enough time keeping it together while I wait, I don't know what I'm going to do once I've actually heard it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BBC Radio 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09x87wm

On radio

bbc_radio_two.png
Today 20:00
( This programme will be available shortly after broadcast )
1 hour, 57 minutes

Artists and musicians, spanning several musical genres, present their re-imagined versions of some classic Andrew Lloyd songs.

Presented by Jo Whiley with contributions from Imelda May, The Vamps, Anne Marie, Seth Lakeman, The Shires, Mica Paris, Rick Astley, Nerina Pallot and many more.

You can hear brand new versions of, amongst others, All I Ask of You, The Phantom of the Opera, Song of the King, Memory, Don't Cry For Me Argentina and The Music of the Night.

You can listen direct from this link at 20:00 ( GMT ) tonight.:thumb_yello:

Don't miss it !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_two

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

On 3/30/2018 at 4:22 PM, ladyolivier said:

Your comment about his baritone and him not using it enough echoes my exact thoughts! Can't wait to hear what he makes of it! Kind of nervous for him too 😅

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Olya said:

Your comment about his baritone and him not using it enough echoes my exact thoughts! Can't wait to hear what he makes of it! Kind of nervous for him too 😅

Yes I'm nervous too! But it's already recorded so he must have done it well! :wink2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Mikasister said:

OMG Mika...his low voice performing "Music of the night!  it's like a whisper :cloud:

It was quite sensuous, wasn't it?  I just didn't like the backing music much.

• Like 3

Just now, silver said:

It was quite sensuous, wasn't it?  I just didn't like the backing music much.

It was like a jazz version. I have to say that  lately I like more his low voice than the high. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

OMG Mika...his low voice performing "The Music Of The Night!  it's like a whisper :cloud:

:thumb_yello:I looove his version of the song - it was beautiful :fisch::wub2: Thanks a million Eriko - for the link!! :flowers2:

Love, love 

me

• Like 3

I adored it, his low voice is just unbelievable!

He should sing more like that sometimes, I begin to be like you @Mikasister, I prefer his low voice!

Sensual yes and deep..

I'm a bit disapointed because he didn't use enough his lyrical voice because of this jazz version but I'm very proud of my idole one more time! :thumb_yello:

• Like 3