Beautiful appearance!

esperia75

So, it's true, I felt a lot of opera influence in this album, a lot of sounds and voices Freddie Mercury-esque, are Queen and Freddie Mercury part of your musical tastes ?

Yes, it was a big influence, but, quite late actually : I first heard about Queen when i was 16

I like that : "Quite late, when i was 16..." (ironic) Ok... It's true, today you're 22 ? 23 ?

Yes, 23... So yes, at 16, you were already... almost grown up !!! (kidding)

Mika giggles...

Which song... A Queen song ? A Queen song ??? Of course ! Come on !

Oh god, this is hard actually !!!

Yes, I know... (proud of himself)

Now, everybody's gonna know that... errr...

That it's difficult, yeah

Oh la la !! 10 seconds, or something like that !... Ok C:, it's easier, the same key !

Humpf

Sings Killer Queen...

It's too difficult !! This is the thing ...

No it's not ! You get it ! It's not difficult !

No, no, it's really nice, but honestly i know it was s**t (?)

So, you see for instance, your song ... (can't finish)

It's a lot of pressure, you know ! Each time... It's been some time, now, everybody compares me a little bit with Freddie Mercury, but it's a lot of pressure, because honestly, he was incredible ! So each time someone says that "you're a bit like Freddie Mercury", in my head i'm like "oh noooo ! Please don't ask me to sing something from Queen..."

But i'm happy that i did ask !! On the album ther's a song called "Big Girl", i'm sure you know "Fat Bottomed Girl, you make the rocking world go round", we can feel the link... (can't finish)

Just a little bit, but it's "Big girl you're beautiful", it's not based on the... (can't finish)

On the bottom size...

No... (giggles when he gets the joke)

Because "Fat bottomed girl" is about big bottoms...

No, it' because i watched a show on TV, one night in London, and it was about a night club called The Butterfly Lounge, and it was the first night club for big women, and thin women aren't allowed in... And i saw that, and i thought "Oh my God i have to write an anthem, I have to write a ... dancing anthem for all the people in this club, and i wrote "Big Girl you are beautiful"

So big girls you are beautiful... (he translates in french)

sorry ?

He repeats...

Yes, exactly

So, about Grace Kelly, the song you just sang... Grace Kelly, for your grand-mother, was the symbol of perfection, is that it ?

Yes, exactly...

There was no one better than Grace Kelly...

Yes, and when you write songs, it's better to use words that... (i don't know for you, but the video stops here when i read it on youtube... so i went to the Taratata website... And here is the end !!!) ...that ... a lot of imagery, like Grace Kelly... It would suck if I said something like "I try to be like Mariah"... It would be a bit...

It would be different...

He giggles...

But being like Grace Kelly means that... You wrote this song because in the beginning, when you were starting out in show business, and people wanted you to like other singers, and you said "why perfection ? I can be a fool, I can be a professional, I can be funny, I can be sad, just leave me alone !"

But I will be me

Yes, that's it

I was working with a music company in London, and they heard my demo, with all my songs, 33 songs, i came in and they said "yeah, you're great BUT can you write songs more like Robbie Williams or Craig David ?" So i was there for 1 hour, listenning, and when i came back home, i was absolutly furious, because it was happening for the 3rd or 4th time, so i wrote this song for them, and said "you want me to be like Craig David, I will be like Grace Kelly instead, and let's see if you still want to deal with me"

And at the beginning, it sounds a bit like an opera tune... Grace Kelly intro...

Yeah...

A little bit ? Which opera ?

You're the first person who tells me that... Hum... Figaro's Wedding actually...

Figaro si, Figaro la

Yeah (sings a bit of Figaro)

Yes, of course, you have to do it...

Yes, ok... It's because it's a bit like... (sings Figaro at the piano) So i thought "Yes it's perfect, i have to write an insult, with a song, for those people in that company"

I remind you that Figaro is ALSO an insult... (ironic)

A bit like an opera, i said "ok, you're assholes, so i'm gonna do what i want", and i wrote this insult, with the melody, and i sent the song, to the people, and err...

(audience laughing)

He's mad, i guarantee you, he's a mad man !!

And then they read the lyrics, and when they came to "should i bent over, should i look older, just to be put on your shelf", they decided not to call me... So... But 2 years later, I am the one laughing !

And Grace Kelly, piano-voice, just for pleasure...

Ok, so the opera will be ... (he sings) ok ? And Grace Kelly will be ... (sings again... :wink2: )... So it's the same thing...

And there are songs like Relax... Take it Easy, Lollipop... Buy this album ! Mika !!

(frenzy crowd)

So wait ! ... Some more ?

"Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaah !!!"

He giggles...

Have to enjoy it ! ... I read in an interview that you love Prince ?

Yes, yes, he's great !

The way he sings, the way he is...

Sings Kiss (Prince)

We are like the muppets ! Like Miss Peggy

Yeah, yeah, right... And there's a wonderful song too, on this album, a love song... You were wonderfully in love at the time, and you could only use music and song to say how happy you were

Yes

So if you're happy, and we are happy to have you on this set, lets be happy with a bit of Love Today ?

Ok, Love today... The first part...

Whatever you want ! Make yourself at home

I can stay all night long, if you want !

"Yeeeeaaaaaah !!!!"

No no !! Just kidding !!! Ok Love Today...

(Sings Love Today...)

Here is the album you have to get if you don't want to miss this genius of music !!! Mika !!! I'm very happy... Thank you very much... Mika !!! Oh I love it so much... I'w showing you again because you can't miss it, you don't have the right to miss it... It's really good, isn't it ?

"Yeeeaaah !!"

It's impossible, impossible... The whole album is like that ! That's it, it rocks... And as for a anecdote he says "I'd like to make songs that no one can sing in karaoke..." (people laugh)... Sort of ultime point : not to be sung in karaoke... Mika, the album Life in Cartoon Motion...

AND THAT'S IT !!!

Enjoy...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FANTASTIC Yoppappop! I was going to give this a try. I'd done it verbally * to my husband and kids but not typed it - just haven't had the time! You've done it much better, but then you would, wouldn't you!

BY THE WAY everyone - note Mika mentions a demo he took to the record company with 33 (yes, THIRTY-THREE!!!) songs on it. What wouldn't you do to get a sneak listen to THAT!

Thanks so much for your time and effort. Now we can all enjoy it. It's a really great interview.

So, it's true, I felt a lot of opera influence in this album[...]

AND THAT'S IT !!!

Enjoy...

Oh!!! Yoppappop! How I love you! Seriously!

I hoped someone could translate everything!

I learn French as self-taught, so I've understood too few!

Thanx a lot! Tonight you've made an italian girl happy! :wub2:

I found bonus track in taratata.net. And i don´t understand a word what they are saying. Please could someone translate it, only these parts when mika is also on the screen. I´d be verry happy... Please..

You are a star Yoppappop. I thoroughly enjoyed this. I coped with a fair bit - Mika speaks fairly slowly and I think we have the gist of what he says in interviews, but every single interview is worth the time and effort for the one odd little gem of information that we haven't had before... hanging on his every word... ain't we sad souls!!!

Missing word here is

"Line Dancing"

CW.

No, it' because i watched a show on TV, one night in London, and it was about a night club called The Butterfly Lounge, and it was the first night club for big women, and thin women aren't allowed in... And i saw that, and i thought "Oh my God i have to write an anthem, I have to write a ... dancing anthem for all the people in this club, and i wrote "Big Girl you are beautiful"

Thank you for the missing parts... I definitly don't speak german, so i could never have understood the name of the opera only hearing it, but at the end, i was not even sure i understood French... So the "line dancing anthem" was not clear...

Glad you enjoyed the translation ! I may do the bonus part, but today i'm doing a 24 hour-shift at the hospital and i have to stay there tomorrow morning... May be tomorrow afternoon if i'm not too tired ! We'll see... If someone else in volunteer... Be my guest ! :wink2: But if no, I will do it during the week...

Going back to work...

Yoppappop, you're amazing!! thank you!!! :D

The first time I saw that, I wasn't catching much at all of what was going on. I'm in my second semester of french, so i really only have the basics. But with the translation, i was able to understand more of the french as they were saying it, it helped :D

Russian Fan-thats awesome though! you speak MUCH better english than i could speak russian.. or any other second language for that matter :)

Mmmmmmh... since nobody translated the bonus part, i think i'll have to do it !

Let's go... :

I follow you...

Mika was supposed to prepare a cover for the show, but he didn't have the time to do it :

I didn't have the time, I worked until midnight yesterday evening... Ok, I don't know... For the moment, i don't know...

The only thing I see is that I have a show for tonight, we agreed about a cover, and that i don't have that cover...

We'll do something, don't worry, i'll do it.

No, no, but it's not a problem : what's important is that you feel comfortable, and that it's good, for you and for the show...

Mika works on "Everywhere" cover...

Nagui speaks in English with Mika, and Gerard Pulliccino, the producer of the show tells him that he speaks French :

You know he speaks French like you and me !

Oh, i didn't know, sorry, you speak French ?

No, not really...

Someone says he speaks very well...

No no no !! I'm a little bit scared !

Sorry, I didn't know... You speak French...

But i'm scared !

Nagui says he wants to show off speaking in English, so let him show off, and then speaks English as if he was fluent and fast... but doesn't say anything concrete (i think)...

So, Fleetwood Mac ? What songs is it ? Is it "Don't stop" ? (talking about the cover)

It's this one : "Everywhere"

Because Fleetwood Mac, in France...

Nobody knows ?

Yes, but not everything...

What could be nice, is at the end of Grace Kelly, I come and join you, and say as a joke "yes, very good, thanks to the band, goodbye"

We do it again ?? (kidding)

No, after, we go to the piano, and we have 30 seconds of your songs, not covers, at the piano

Yes, yes, great ! (goes to the group) Wait ! (then to Nagui) do you know Love Today ? It's the second song...

Yeah

We can do 2 seconds...

No no no, we can do like a chorus, or something like that of Love... Is Relax tough for you ?

(sings Relax...)

And then, after that ?

What would be interesting is talking about your influences... Little things, like the first song you learnt at the piano...

The first song i learnt at the piano, seriously ?

Yeah...

Supertramp ?

(sings Champs Elysées)

True ?

Yeah !

So that's it !

We can do that... Or something else...

No, Champs-Elysées is really great ! Nobody expect that !

Ok...

(shows Cherisse's chair : Orgasm Generation...)

(Grace Kelly rehearsal)