Mika gigs 2006: Pics /Videos/Reports/Press

mari62

nice artcile and it comes with a great pic too! t4p

his comment about all the make-up at photoshoots is so funny:roftl:

Couldn't help but copy some of the sentences from the article :D

Meet pop's new saviour - he's out to make you smile. true!

.. this is music made to make you smile. It's destined to be loved by everyone, from grannies to six-year-olds, from the six tracks we've heard so far, all are potential singles.

No - scrap that. All are potential N° 1 records. :thumb_yello:

.. he's now based in London armed with a lot of stories to tell :punk:

"I look like Joan Collins right now with all this make-up for this photo shoot" :roftl:

This is one of the many reasons why Mika is special. :wub2:

It's pretty safe assumption that six month from now, people the whole world ove will be blowing down to the Church of Mika. Amen to that! :naughty:

or Borderline? :wink2:
Borderline :D

hey, have a look at this old interview (EPK) at 2.00 and 6.00 : doesn't it look like Manumission?

and Borderline as well :D tkx!

gonna edit both of them :wink2:

http://www.ukmusic.com/news/music-news/mika-announces-largest-headline-show-to-date.html

Mika Announces Largest Headline Show To Date

Friday, 01 December 2006

mikastanding.jpg

23 year old pop virtuoso MIKA announces his biggest live show so far – he will be playing London’s KOKO in Camden on February 22nd 2007.

The KOKO show follows MIKA’s two sell out London gigs at The Borderline and Dingwalls and will be part of a full UK tour, with dates to be announced shortly.

Tickets for Koko are priced £10 and available through http://www.gigsandtours.com

The 2007 tour comes hot on the heels of MIKAs deliriously catchy debut single ‘Grace Kelly’ (released January 29th) and album ‘Life In Cartoon Motion’ (released February 5th) both of which are released on Casablanca Records.

With hints of Freddie Mercury, mixed with elements of Beck, Prince and Bolan, MIKA (pronounced ‘Meeka’) is the sort of goose-bump-brilliant star that British pop is in desperate need of right now. A songwriter, performer, producer and orchestrator, his tunes combine a heady euphoric rush with darker unexpected elements: daytime melodramas and night-time tales of love, loss, abandonment, hope and happiness.

MIKA has been causing quite a stir since his arrival this summer. His download single ‘Relax’ was a Radio 1 Record of the Week and playlisted there (virtually unheard of for a limited edition/download single) and his myspace site has grown to over 120,000 plays in just three months. Popbitch called him ‘the breakout superstar of the next few years’, Rob Da Bank said ‘he is going to be a huge star’, i-D declared ‘he’s pops new saviour’ whilst Observer Music Monthly described him as ‘glorious new pop star’. MIKA has also been specially chosen to be one of the faces of Paul Smiths 2007 Spring/Summer Global advertising campaign.

Meanwhile MIKA’s Myspace has generated an incredible 250,000 plays in less than four months.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this isn't a double post.. I checked but couldn't find it..

Mika – A blend of superstar pop and torturous lyricism

Thursday, 21 Sep 2006 17:12

Who's next? As a certain legendary band once asked. We seek to delve into the music industry and come up with a bountiful collection of stars to be. Or is that just wannabes?

This week it's the turn of Lebanon-born opera school graduate Mika.

When Mika's Relax thuds its way through an opening minute of keyboard led party-pop, you can't help but have your attention grabbed. It's a curious song that sports a chorus Prince would be proud of and an audacity that sparkles throughout. Mika's vocal is as intriguing as it is infectious and he wraps his voice around some surprising lyrics.

Mika's life is as interesting as his music, born in Lebanon, he suffered the ordeal of his father being held hostage in Kuwait. His family moved to Paris and then London, where he dropped out of education and chose to hone is voice at the Royal Opera School. Stage shows soon followed before Mika took a step towards producing his own music.

Describing himself as someone brought up on a greatest hits collection, his record company have been quick to associate his music to some mainstream greats. In a way, this doesn't do Mika's debut effort justice. Relax is a highly convoluted and well-crafted pop tune with Mika capably reaching impressive vocals and an even melody. "Ended up on a broken train/with nobody I know/I'm screaming for help" he exerts, before breaking into the disco like chorus.

Mika has the image and the stage persona to impress and Island recently showcased a small set from its rising star at an industry bash. Radio 1 has also taken the step to endorse the young artist, with Scott Mills adding Relax to his show's playlist. Relax and its B-side Billy Brown, point to a promising artist capable of changing the pop landscape with a breakthrough record.

Mika begins a live UK tour in November. His first full single release, Grace Kelly, will be out in January, followed by a debut album on February 12th.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/entertainment/music/whos-next/mika-%E2%80%93-blend-superstar-pop-and-torturous-lyricism-$452525.htm

Who's next? As a certain legendary band once asked. We seek to delve into the music industry and come up with a bountiful collection of stars to be. Or is that just wannabes?

When Mika's Relax thuds its way through an opening minute of keyboard led party-pop, you can't help but have your attention grabbed. It's a curious song that sports a chorus Prince would be proud of and an audacity that sparkles throughout. Mika's vocal is as intriguing as it is infectious and he wraps his voice around some surprising lyrics.

Mika's life is as interesting as his music, born in Lebanon, he suffered the ordeal of his father being held hostage in Kuwait. His family moved to Paris and then London, where he dropped out of education and chose to hone is voice at the Royal Opera School. Stage shows soon followed before Mika took a step towards producing his own music.

Describing himself as someone brought up on a greatest hits collection, his record company have been quick to associate his music to some mainstream greats. In a way, this doesn't do Mika's debut effort justice. Relax is a highly convoluted and well-crafted pop tune with Mika capably reaching impressive vocals and an even melody. "Ended up on a broken train/with nobody I know/I'm screaming for help" he exerts, before breaking into the disco like chorus.

Mika has the image and the stage persona to impress and Island recently showcased a small set from its rising star at an industry bash. Radio 1 has also taken the step to endorse the young artist, with Scott Mills adding Relax to his show's playlist. Relax and its B-side Billy Brown, point to a promising artist capable of changing the pop landscape with a breakthrough record.

Mika begins a live UK tour in November. His first full single release, Grace Kelly, will be out in January, followed by a debut album on February 12th.

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/news/entertainment/music/whos-next/mika-%E2%80%93-blend-superstar-pop-and-torturous-lyricism-$452525.htm

Thanks Miro! Great article! :punk:

Don't think its posted cuz I can't remember reading it

nice article! t4p:thumb_yello:

• 2 months later...

vsex47.jpg

that's a nice short article:

We applaud Mika's unique sense of style :wub2:

"The most important thing to me is to keep people guessing as to where what I'm wearing is from" :biggrin2:

"I think eclecticism gives you immediate timelessness in your style"

"What a trendy fella. Mika informs us he's looking for a therapist to help him his ever-growing addiction to MySpace" :naughty:

• 1 month later...

THURSDAY, 14 DECEMBER 2006

Dirrrty Pop Meets... Mika!

A few weeks ago I had a phone interview with exciting new pop act Mika. Being a lazy student it took me a while to transcribe it, but here it is at last for your reading pleasure:

How would you describe yourself for someone who hasn't heard of you before?

I am a new artist who's making big-sounding pop records, the kind that haven't really been made in the past few years, for whatever reason - a lot of the big-sounding records have been made by bands, verging on the tradition of the 70s and 80s. I'm kind of reclaiming pop music, that's my interpretation of what pop music should be.

You've released a single on download, but we want to know: when can we have an actual CD to buy in the shops?

January 29th is Grace Kelly, my single, and the album Life In Cartoon Motion comes out in the beginning of February, shortly after the single.

For those planning to go and see you in concert, what can they expect from your live show?

Deconstructing my record, really. There's nothing more disappointing than when you go to see a band that you like live and they don't deliver, so I always wanted to capture what I did on the album but just kinda make it even louder and a little more aggressive, so that's hopefully what I'm achieving with my live shows. And it's all for fun and stupid, silly, you know.

You've been in everything from the Sunday Times to Attitude magazine, are there any other publications you're desperate to get a mention in?

It's funny, I would never really ask to get a mention in any magazine, marketing things just came along but are really welcome as they help with putting the music out there. I'm in the GQ issue of January and I did a photoshoot with Mick Rock, who is a legendary photographer.

I really love the designs on your website - did you create them yourself?

Yeah I did and I did them with my sister. She's a brilliant artist. The visual side of the project was begun up to a year before the album was actually finished, so when I was recording the album in LA she was working there, drawing all these things, and it was a way of showing the record company what the album was gonna be like, by showing them the drawings.

You mention Rufus Wainwright on your MySpace, and I'm a big fan of his, so I'd love to hear a duet between you and him. Who would you most like to duet with?

That would be pretty amazing, I'd have to be doing the high bits. Also Annie Lennox, that would be pretty incredible, or the Flaming Lips.

Who do you think will be your chart rivals when you finally release your single?

I have absolutely no idea. I do my own thing, which is great, although I've been compared to the Scissor Sisters, but even Relax has a different flavour. The good thing is that all the people I'm being compared to in the press are classic acts who aren't really releasing records at the moment, which is a really good situation to be in.

http://tmbpop.blogspot.com/2006/12/dirrrty-pop-meets-mika.html