REPORTS/PICS/VIDS for MIKA LA Surprise Show 04-15-09

Blue Sky

heyy i am a new member (joined like 2 hours ago)

and i am having the HARDEST time figuring this site out! hahah

and am desperate to see if any of these awesome fans took any pics last night of Mika with the 'Mexico' sign??

it was my sign and I don't know if you rememebr how he held it up and stuff, I tried to get pictures but was waaaay to excited and couldn't stop jumping and screaming that none of my pictures are descent lol

so if anyone has a picture of him with the mexico sign could you pleeeaaaseee send it to me?! :naughty:

I would be eternally mexicanlly grateful! hahah

pleasee and thank you!

please send me a message or contact me trough my myspace, because honestly this forum thing is completely new for and I have no idea what I'm doing lol

so thanks again!!

....damn that was a long post sorry :bleh:

hi!!! you are from mexicooo!!!! coooool!

I don't know if this one is the pic that you are looking for:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32172634@N05/3447016106/

We all got a nice chat, and it was lovely. He was in very obvious good spirits, and really chatty. Everyone can report on their own chats if they like but I found it quite funny when someone commented on his necklace (was it Charlie or Vanessa?? Or someone else? Sorry, I didn't see who it was) and he got really excited (very cute) saying: 'oh, it's full of perfume' and then proceeded to put some on my and Charlie's hand so that we could smell it. He was very excited about his perfume. Very cute.

Thank you so much Sariflor, your report is so warm and detailed, I love to read it! Thanks for sharing it. I saw a picture of his necklace in another thread, but I cannot find it anymore. Anyone has a link?

Wow.

As I started to type this report, I was about 37,000 feet above California, jetting back home after a whirlwhind trip to LA. I can’t believe that 12 hours from the time I started typing, I was standing at the Roxy with MFCers from around the world, moments away from one might be – to date – one of the best MFC meet and greets in history. I might be a little biased. But – wow.

So. Got up early Wednesday morning. Got a text from Nono (Fmbm), who was already (!) in the queue at 9am. Well, at that early hour, she *was* the queue. Andrew (StandardToaster) and I made our way to the Roxy, after getting lost finding Sunset Blvd. Nono was already waiting, of course, along with Christine and Sara (Sariflor). After Andrew and I had been there for about 10 minutes, a taxi arrived – and out popped Shauna (Zoots14). The driver gets out and pops the trunk – and pulls out six multi-coloured lawn chairs! Thank you, Shauna – particularly, my butt thanks you. *wink*

There were signs posted outside the Roxy that said “Line up starts here at noon” – since it was before noon, the girls had already gotten told off once by Roxy staff to move. So we waited beyond the red line painted on the sidewalk to designate the Roxy queue, until noon sharp when we moved into it and set up our chairs. At this point the queue consisted of just us, and two girls who had traveled from Guadalajara, Mexico. If any of you gals signed up here – welcome to MFC! It was their first time ever seeing Mika, so they were pumped. I love Mika gig virgins. It’s funny, it’s heartwarming to see the sparkles in a really passionate newbie’s eyes, seeing how over-the-moon excited they are; and yet knowing that what they’re about to see is going to completely blow each and every expectation they could possibly have right out of the water.

So, the long act of waiting had begun. For me, I find it the whole thing happens in stages. The first few hours are just kind of low-key, since nothing is really happening. Then mid-afternoon, when you start to see the roadies loading equipment into the venue, it starts to get exciting. People start watching for Mika. Then that last half hour before doors, that’s when the nerves set in. Hoping security will be fair about first-come, first-served. Hoping other fans will be fair. Wondering what the venue will look like, how wide the stage will be.

But I digress.

So it was about noon by this point, and Charlotte (CharlotteChristy) and Brittany (Daydreambeliever) had arrived. It was unseasonably cold in LA – about 14C, or 58F, and being up on a hill with a strong wind, it felt much colder. When the sun went behind cloud cover, we were freezing. Not long after that we saw on Twitter that Mika wanted to send us hot chocolate. Not long after this John arrived, and noticed that a bunch of us had already gotten coffees from a coffee shop up a few blocks. We assured him hot drinks would still be greatly appreciated, and off he went.

I can’t believe Mika sometimes. I mean, imagine how this plays out. Mika is in a hotel room or whatever somewhere, and he gets word there are fans hanging outside the venue, feeling cold, etc. So he contacts his people and arranges for them to bring the fans complimentary hot chocolate. To me, that means soo much. He is SO in touch. If we were this cult-like about any other artist, we wouldn’t have stories like this. We’re so freakin’ lucky.

So again in the queue, more waiting. Sivan had arrived, and our little MFC posse was growing. The feeling among MFCers at that point was just an inability to really process what was about to happen. We were about to hear brand new songs for the very first time, at a shockingly tiny venue in Los Angeles (capacity on the door said 449), after nine freaking months of waiting. With the whole letdown at the ice cream truck the day prior, none of it seemed…real. The whole scene at the ice cream truck felt like I was sitting at home watching Mika clips on YouTube. And there we were, just hours away from what would be a mindblowingly awesome gig.

The waiting seemed to go pretty quickly. We were naughty and kept strolling into a bar next door to use the toilet, until they caught on and made a “Rest rooms for customers ONLY!!” sign. That’s one of the worst things about the waiting part, the trying-to-find-a-toilet-wherever-the-venue-is issue. Oh well. Around mid-afternoon Yasmine walked by and into the side door, carrying a giant bunch of reddish orange tulips.

I think it was around 5pm when they came out and changed the text on the Roxy’s marquee to read “Perez Hilton presents Mika acoustic”. I’m not sure why, but they took the “Perez Hilton presents” part down after a few moments. I’d stepped back off the sidewalk to take a picture of the marquee, when Christine pointed out a black van with tinted windows pulling up along the west side of the building, followed by Andy in an SUV. I walked up the sidewalk, and Mika got out. He saw me standing there, about 30 or 40 feet away from him, safely on the sidewalk, and smiled and waved. I waved back.

That’s when my knees went to jelly.

I’d sat there watching him hand out ice cream for over an hour the day prior, but when he waved to me from that alley – with barely anyone else around – something just clicked. Everyone has heard the expression “to go weak in the knees,” but I’d never actually *felt* that sensation before. Mika’s appearance had the opposite effect on Nono, who earlier had been feeling really nauseous, but perked right up when Mika arrived. :naughty:

By this time our MFC posse had grown a little more, with Clare (lovempls), Ashley (LA_Fashionista) and Amy (Artsyfartsy17) in the queue. Showtime was getting closer!

After Mika’s arrival, the anticipation skyrocketed for me. Even more so when someone left the door open and we realized we could see the Roxy stage and get a sense of just how freakin’ tiny it is. Not long after that they closed the door, but when they started what we thought was a regular soundcheck, we realized we could hear it rather clearly. However, it went on a lot longer than a standard soundcheck, so we’re thinking they actually did a rehearsal of the whole show. It was funny, in the part of Good Gone Girl where he does the “ooo-ooo-ooo!” bit, we decided we’d do a little hand-motion dance, palms facing forward in little circles. Haha. I think that last hour of queuing is really hard on brain cell counts. :roftl:

We clearly heard them rehearsing old favourites including Grace Kelly, Stuck in the Middle, Love Today and Lollipop. The excitement at this point was only getting more intense.

Around 6:30, half an hour before doors we folded up our causal camp and got into an organized line against the wall. From about 5:30 to 6:30, maybe longer, this random guy was standing on the sidewalk in front of the queue. He was wearing a nice black sweater, white jeans, and an old-style hat. You He had headphones in his ears…but he spent the whole time speaking out loud about dinosaurs and species types and weird fruits. The really weird thing was that he’d look us square in the eyes, as though he were speaking to us, and would continue going on about his monologue. Odd, odd fellow with unbelievably piercing blue eyes. It was as though he fancied himself a college professor or something, and somewhere in his mind, we were his disinterested students. Brittany decided he needed a good name, and I was of the opinion that he needed a rather unique name. I dubbed him Cornelius von Finklestein. After about an hour he walked off, but then turned back to us. Some of us waved – and he waved right back! Farewell, Cornelius of LA.

At around 6:30, our friend Ice Cream Man arrived. I think the idea was that he’d give out ice cream before the gig, but with the doors opening so soon he told us he’d be giving out ice cream after the show. He said he spends six months out of the year going around the country handing out ice cream. What a life! He apparently has connections with Perez, which is how he ended up in this whole Mika thing. I thanked him for the shout out on his blog – thanks again, ice cream man! MFC hearts you.

It was right before the doors opened that an LAPD sheriff showed up. That was a little nervewracking, I’d never seen cops at any previous Mika gig. It was funny; as they were walking in Charlotte started singing under her breath, “I shot the sheriff! But I didn’t shoot the deputy!” Haha. Still don’t know why they were there, although they did talk to the security guys. Maybe the queue stretching down the block was unprecedented for the Roxy?

7pm came and went, and they hadn’t yet let us in. Like I mentioned earlierthat part right there, the last half hour of queuing, is just terrible. There’s such worry and nerves that things will go as they should, that people will behave in a civilized fashion. Such stress.

Then around 7:15 or so a security guard came out and told us we’d be let in, and that we’d be doing it calmly. He told anyone over age 21 to have their ID out if they’d like stamp to indicate eligibility to buy alcohol, but I didn’t want to bother with taking the time to get stamped. And like that, doors were opened and we were on the move…

To be continued! I'm knackered, my bed looks awfully appealing, and I don't think I'm even 30% done my report. :roftl::shocked:

Dear Mika: Please buy a bigger server to handle my painfully verbose gig reports. Kaythanks. :punk::blush-anim-cl:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

OOOOH MY HIGH FIVE!! MY HIGH FIVE!!!!

Very very end of the vid. Sad that such a little thing makes me so happy but I almost DIED! I instantly turned into jello. Just felt like we were saying to each other "that f'ing ROCKED!" :punk: Ahhhhhhh, I've reverted to fangirl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavGm5LOtr4 4:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbE6YqLcCU0 3:32

AAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by zoots14

To be continued! I'm knackered, my bed looks awfully appealing, and I don't think I'm even 30% done my report. :roftl::shocked:

Dear Mika: Please buy a bigger server to handle my painfully verbose gig reports. Kaythanks. :punk::blush-anim-cl:

Mana, you're such a talented writer! Your reviews always capture the true spirit of the experience. :punk:

I can't wait to read the rest of it and I was actually there! LOL :bleh:

Hey! Thank you all for your reports and pics, you really had a FAB night! :punk:

I've converted the new songs in mp3, I believe that, as long as we can watch the videos and so actually listen to the acoustic version of the new songs, as we live in the technology-era, we can convert the songs in mp3...or am I wrong?:blink: Please, tell!

Blue Eyes: http://www.mediafire.com/?mmafnmniymz

Clap song: http://www.mediafire.com/?qftadbgjmm2

Good Gone Girl: http://www.mediafire.com/?5dyn5nyhzzk

Toy Boy: http://www.mediafire.com/?l4ih5jmtfnm

I don't want to sounnd too greedy but SITM is worth converting, too.

Such a great new sound:wink2:

When he heard about the hair curler he let out this high pitched laugh and said that we are very picky, and then spontaneously said that when he wore that ICA jacket his sister told him that people didn't like it, that weall hated it, but that he loves that jacket and that he will wear it :naughty:.

yes, it is his sisters reading MFC... :naughty:

He then proceeded to show Christine how he needs to wear these jackets unbuttoned because, again (his new fav word it seems), 'if he wears them buttoned up he looks like a dick'.

:lmao:

OOOOH MY HIGH FIVE!! MY HIGH FIVE!!!!

Very very end, like 4:05. Sad that such a little thing makes me so happy but I almost DIED! I instantly turned into jello. Just felt like we connected... like we were saying to each other "that f'ing ROCKED!" :punk: Ahhhhhhh, I've reverted to fangirl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UavGm5LOtr4

AAAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:roftl::thumb_yello:....BRAVA!!!!:wink2:

thanx for all the reports, videos & pics! :wub2: and very good that they are linked in the 1st post, i got to page 35 on here yesterday, but can't catch up with all the new posts anymore now. can't spend all day at work reading the mfc (though i'd love to!) :naughty:

P.S. Is it bad that I still have no desire to eat? I think all I've had in the last 4 days is 2 pizza bagels, an ice cream bar, and a donut.

This is usually an indication that you're in love!:wub2:

Hmmm:mf_rosetinted:

Get your appetite back girl, we don't want you languish away, we need you in here!:wink2:

thanks for the nice comments guys. Will get the vids up as soon as i get home.

Suzie, as far as i understood, he's doing the acoustic tour with this band, so Cherisse is the only one that would remain for now.

We'll see about the new proper tour,but i get the feeling that the rest of the old band won't be back

...actually, much as I liked 'the other musicians', I so much prefer this sound. It might have more to do with the new musical arrangements he has come up with, though..

Here's my "Big Girl" video

Great that you captured the talking bit in the beginning:

“Thank you for helping me coming out… of my retirement!

Gardening was getting so boring!”:wub2:

Big Girl sounded very different acoustically, and lovely!

Here's Billy Brown...

I think the “Mexican chicks” took him by surprise! Hilarious!:roftl: