REPORTS/PICS/VIDS for MIKA LA Surprise Show 04-15-09

Blue Sky

Part 4 - Meet and Greet

We made our way out of the venue, and moved down the block from the crowd around the ice cream truck. Andrew told us he’d been in contact with Allison about arranging a meet and greet for MFC members, particularly since we hadn’t gotten to talk to Mika with the way things went the day prior at the ice cream truck. Allison then told Andrew that she’d be able to arrange something for us, and to meet her at the doors to the Roxy.

Unfortunately, things were happening very fast at this point, and Allison told Andrew she could accommodate 10 people. The 10 of us nearest to the doors got in, leaving Brittany, Nono, Clare and a few others out. This led to a couple of tense moments inside the venue as we talked about how to handle this. Thanks go to Cynthia and Mika3Maniac, both of whom were willing to leave in order to allow others who had been at the venue longer the chance to come in. Fortunately, however, someone – was it Clare (lovempls)? Had spotted Allison outside and was able to explain to her that there were just 4 or 5 additional MFCers waiting, and she brought them in to join us. Phew – crisis averted!

Not long after John came in and told us we could do the meet and greet in the lobby area where we were standing, or move back inside the venue to the area back from the standing room floor space where there were some booths and more open space. We chose the inside space, and John led us inside.

At this point we realized that it was important for us to set a precedent for this meet and greet, to be civil about things and not crowd Mika or make him feel like he was there to herd cattle or anything. Andrew gave us a stern talking to about following Mika around, and got us all into a U-shaped line so that Mika could visit with each of us and then move onto the next person.

It’s funny, in the videos the background music is really loud, but at the time, I didn’t even hear it. It didn’t permeate my conscious in the slightest. I sat on a ledge thing, and got told off by the venue security guy who told me I was going to fall onto the floor below. My bad. The guy then asked John, who was nearby if we were fans – and John replied with “yeah, they’re the die-hards.” :naughty:

It wasn’t long at all before Mika came out. Watching him walk from the backstage door to the two steps up to where we were didn’t instill that weak-in-the-knees feeling that I had when I first saw him walk into the venue – instead, it was more of a warm feeling, that he just looked so radiantly happy. We’ve watched him progress from the early days, through the Life In Cartoon Motion whirlwind of gigs and press appearances, and finally that amazing spectacle in Paris in front of 55,000 people. And to have just finished watching him unveil a few new songs for the very first time, in a wonderful, intimate setting just really made my heart swell. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that a lot of us feel that way. Sure, we don’t know him personally, but there is some sense of attachment, I think – that we celebrate his successes almost as though they’re our own. And that night was such a success – the crowd at the Roxy were so very into it, very receptive of what he had to offer.

By then Mika had joined us. He was in seemingly great spirits – I really thing he was buzzing from the high of being able to come back and perform again after 9 long months and feel that energy again. First in our little semi-circle was Andrew, who talked told him that we’d flown down from Calgary for the show. It’s obvious that Mika truly appreciates the efforts we go to in terms of travelling to see his shows. You’d think after all the hopping on planes and trains that went on over the 19-month LICM run that he’d be over it, but I firmly believe he still finds it very heartwarming and maybe even slightly hard to believe. He knows, obviously, that people really connect with the music, but he clearly loves it when he sees that people are willing to go to lengths to see him perform. That’s why he gets so smiley when he hears people have travelled. That’s why he sends hot chocolate to the people who are willing to sacrifice an entire day sitting on a sidewalk in the queue. Again, maybe it’s just the post-gig bubble talking but I truly believe Mika appreciates what we do. His gratitude is genuine – something that I think we’d be hard pressed to find in very many other popular artists.

Mika talked with Andrew some, first about us flying down for the show and then about the technical issues we’ve been having. He was really appreciative of Andrew’s help in keeping all the MFC gears turning, which was nice to see. He then moved on to Christine, who got to thank him for springing for champagne at the MFC Christmas party in London last winter. He smiled and said “I’m glad, that was enough champagne to get a lot of people very drunk.” I’m telling you, he’s got a heart of gold. He made his way around our semi-circle, taking the time to talk to each one of us, giving everyone a little slice of his undivided attention. He has this way of just connecting with people that a lot of people just don’t have. I think a lot of it is his body language – Mika is a master at commanding attention while fostering an appropriate vibe for the interaction. With his fans, it’s almost always a very open, very warm vibe. He’s very touchy, and that adds to the warmth of his interactions. When he was talking with Charlotte and Sara, Charlotte mentioned she liked his necklace. He told us it was actually perfume, then unscrewed the top and dabbed some on Charlotte and Sara’s wrists. It was very soft and slightly floral, almost like baby powder. That was just one example of the very non-stressed, casual nature of the meet and greet. It was way better for Mika, and better for the MFCers there, too.

Part 5 - Meet and Greet continued

When Mika came to me I reminded him of what Andrew said: that we’d flown in for the show. I mentioned that I had a job interview back home the next afternoon; he looked slightly shocked and said “oh, in Calgary?!” Andrew had told him where we live, but the fact he remembered made me smile, as did the way he pronounced “Calgary” in that lovely airport accent. I then said something like “Mika, there’s something I wanted to show you. After I was a lollipop girl in Vancouver, I went and had this done.” I then leaned over, pulled up the leg of my jeans and showed him my Lollipop Girl tattoo. I honestly believed he’d say something like “oh, that’s cool” or whatever and just be on his way. But you can see his reaction in Sara’s video – it was priceless! It totally surprised me. He let out this loud, deep giggle/laugh, and kind of spun around for a moment. He then leaned in for a closer look, even grabbing my ankle to take a better look. He told me that it was amazing – I can’t remember exactly, but I think his words were along the lines of “that’s mad, that’s amazing!” It was freakin’ hilarious. He might think I’m slightly nuts, but hey, I’m alright with that. I’m thinking he hasn’t seen many people with tattoos related to his music. So BangBangLou, if you read this, you have to make a point of showing him your Billy Brown ink if you ever get the chance. :wink2:

Mika continued his way around the circle, and by that point Cherisse had also stopped by to say hi. She was talking with people on the other end of the circle, saying hello and giving hugs. I’ve never really had much of a chance to speak to her – first I was talking with Mika, and then when she was nearby I was talking to John. I’m happy, though, that she’s still part of the team – I love watching her play. There’s an energy to her drumming that matches Mika’s energy whether he’s at the microphone or on keys, and visually I think that works well. John was also in good spirits, and we thanked him for the hot chocolate/coffee/cappuccinos and various donuts and other pastries. I could feel a sense of buoyancy in the air then, that Mika, Allison, John, pretty much everyone was feeling the electricity and the excitement of being back on board the Mika train, with things picking up as though they’d never stopped. Especially since the show went so well; I think everyone involved with Team Mika was feeling pretty good there after the gig.

Mika went around and talked to each MFCer, and then asked if we’d like pictures. He asked if we wanted a group picture or individual ones, hesitated for a moment, then said “ahh, let’s do both.” Mika got Yasmine and Allison to grab our cameras, and we posed for the group pic that’s on the front page of MFC. We then formed a line, gave Sara’s camera to Allison, and then cycled through getting the one-on-one pics with Mika. That part, too was really orderly and organized, and we managed to get through everyone’s picture in very little time. I love the pic of me with Mika – right before Allison snapped the shot he ran his fingers up through his hair, so it’s kind of sticking up all over. It’s great. His floofy hair totally epitomizes the fun, breezy low-key nature of the whole two days. The thing I remember most clearly from that moment the picture was snapped of me with him was the slippery kind of nylon-ish feel to his jacket. Likely a weird thing to focus on, but I think looking at it I expected it to feel cottony or something. And the fact it was slippery kinda surprised me. :naughty:

He's a great picture-poser. He grabs you and pulls you into him like you're BFFs on the last day of school, taking a few pictures since you're going on holiday and won't see each other all summer. So sweet. :wub2:

We finished with the pictures and started saying our goodbyes. As Mika left, he told us that new dates would be announced very soon – so, fingers crossed! He and Allison walked back through the doors to the backstage area, and the rest of us went the opposite direction and filed out the front doors of the Roxy into the Los Angeles air.

We were all pretty much walking on air at this point, and spent some time looking at the pictures of ourselves with Mika, and watching back the videos from the show. At that point I was just elated that the night had gone so well. For the most part, the queue was orderly. The majority of people respected the order of the queue, and the security staff at the Roxy were firm without being obnoxious. Mika was on fire, totally bubbling with energy and in top form, vocally. All these things worked together to make for a really great, really enjoyable gig experience.

And when we were fortunate enough to get a meet and greet it turned out really well because everyone there kept sight of some basic notions of respect.

*dons stern moderator hat*

When Mika came into the room no one crowded him – he was able to move freely around the area, taking time to talk to each and every MFCer there without having others crowd him physically or interrupt when he was speaking to another person. I totally understand that it’s easy to lose sight of reality when Mika walks into the room – I know that starstruck state of mind makes people go a little loopy. But if we can ALL stay in that state of mind where we respect our fellow MFCers, and Mika, then with any luck we can have some really great future meet and greets where everyone walks away feeling mellow and happy – Mika included. But, it takes all of us. As soon as two or three people get worried that they won’t get his attention and start pushing ahead and demanding things, everyone else gets freaked out and suddenly you have a situation where it’s a mob scene instead of a mellow meet-and-greet comprised of the most dedicated fans. We don’t want that. No one wants that. And going forward, sure there will be dates where things just don’t work out. Mika might be tired or feeling ill, and it might not be possible to have any sort of meet and greet whatsoever. Or Mika and his people might be rushing to get out of the venue and onto a tour bus in time to get to another city for another show. And often in the entertainment industry, things change rapidly. This LA meet and greet almost didn’t happen - not for any reason to do with us or with Mika, but simply because the venue had another act coming in and was in a hurry to clear the space for that show. But in the future when anyone reading this is fortunate enough to get such an opportunity, I hope you can all remember the LA show and remember what a great meet and greet it was. Let’s play that forward - let’s make this tour the best tour yet.

We stood outside the venue for a while longer, talking and reminiscing, still in a daze about how amazing the night had been. That’s another really great thing about this Mika magic: the friendships that we make as a result. When you sit on a sidewalk with someone for 10 hours, some really great friendships can be formed. I love that. In fact, I’m grateful for that.

*sappiness warning*

Often our friends and family in “real life” don’t quite get what all the fuss is about. Your fellow MFCers, however, totally understand. They know what it’s like to see a new video blog with 15-second snippets of new songs, and to have it make your week. They know what it’s like to stand outside a venue before a show, and to have that feeling of excited energy knowing you’re about to see something amazing. They know what it’s like to see Mika somehow manage to show off that million-kilowatt smile while singing at the same time, his eyes literally sparkling when a crowd full of people sings his lyrics back at him. And they know why all this matters so much. They know why you hang on to little details of his career, why the music touches you, why it resonates so deeply.

To put it simply, your fellow MFCers feel the magic.

And that’s one of the reasons why so many of us feel that post-gig hole. Apart from the harshness of coming back to earth after the highs of these shows, it’s also tough to say “until next time” to friends you’ve made who are on the same level of understanding about something so great. So to all my MFCers in LA, thank you for everything. It really, truly wouldn’t have been the same without you all. And to everyone who sat at their computers around the world waiting for all the details, thank you. Thank you for contributing to the sense that all across the world, we’re a family of Mika fans who might come from completely different walks of life, but are yet linked through this crazy world of musical and creative brilliance.

I can’t wait for the next chapter in the Mika story. We’re in for something awesome, guys. I can just feel it.

Edited by lollipop_monkey

HA HA!! Is That the pic where he just let go off my necklace. Damn, he's practically standing on me. And, that's where he was like, "Um, both!" When I asked him if he had Erika and Elvis. Love that you got that ....even though I look quite strange/stunned in it. LOL

Or was that before we started taking pics? I dont' remember. ACK! LOL

DSC03252.jpg

Incredible gig reports as usual Mana...

Mika went around and talked to each MFCer, and then asked if we’d like pictures. He asked if we wanted a group picture or individual ones, hesitated for a moment, then said “ahh, let’s do both.” Mika got Yasmine and Allison to grab our cameras, and we posed for the group pic that’s on the front page of MFC. We then formed a line, gave Sara’s camera to Allison, and then cycled through getting the one-on-one pics with Mika.

Holy cow... I was so focused on Mika that I didn't even realize Yasmine was one of the people taking group pictures with our cameras... I had total tunnel vision! I have no clue who it was who took our individual pictures either, but I'm thinking maybe Alison... all I knew was that Mika had his arm around me and I had just told him I felt really priveledged to be there that night. I didn't hear the music at all either! So funny... in my mind it was dead quiet in there except for us talking to Mika and each other.

HA HA!! Is That the pic where he just let go off my necklace. Damn, he's practically standing on me. And, that's where he was like, "Um, both!" When I asked him if he had Erika and Elvis. Love that you got that ....even though I look quite strange/stunned in it. LOL

Or was that before we started taking pics? I dont' remember. ACK! LOL

Yeah, he just reached right down to your chest and picked up your necklace didn't he?? :naughty:

Have to ask... Erika & Elvis?

Actually... I think that was when I had handed my camera over for the group pics (I'm in the picture) but we hadn't really started posing yet.

Mana, it was a pleasure sharing the magic with you. :tears::huglove:

I can't wait to do it many more times to come. Once again, lovely report.

I was the same way when I saw Mika come out to talk to us. I thought I was the only one who didn't feel a surge of excitement! I didn't get all nervous like I thought I would! Maybe I was still high off of the performance, who knows? "A warm feeling" was a good way to describe it. I remember just saying to Vanessa, "Oh, here comes Mika. :original:"

Big improvement from last year when I was considering getting out of line to meet him due to nerves. :naughty:

Awe, I Ioved every minute of reading this. I was so proud of our orderly, respectful MFC group. I hope I can do that with y'all again. It was so amazing. Y'all are amazing and yes, some great friendships were formed. I'm very Happy to know y'all. :wub2:

When Mika came to me I reminded him of what Andrew said: that we’d flown in for the show. I mentioned that I had a job interview back home the next afternoon; he looked slightly shocked and said “oh, in Calgary?!” Andrew had told him where we live, but the fact he remembered made me smile, as did the way he pronounced “Calgary” in that lovely airport accent. I then said something like “Mika, there’s something I wanted to show you. After I was a lollipop girl in Vancouver, I went and had this done.” I then leaned over, pulled up the leg of my jeans and showed him my Lollipop Girl tattoo. I honestly believed he’d say something like “oh, that’s cool” or whatever and just be on his way. But you can see his reaction in Sara’s video – it was priceless! It totally surprised me. He let out this loud, deep giggle/laugh, and kind of spun around for a moment. He then leaned in for a closer look, even grabbing my ankle to take a better look. He told me that it was amazing – I can’t remember exactly, but I think his words were along the lines of “that’s mad, that’s amazing!” It was freakin’ hilarious. He might think I’m slightly nuts, but hey, I’m alright with that. I’m thinking he hasn’t seen many people with tattoos related to his music. So BangBangLou, if you read this, you have to make a point of showing him your Billy Brown ink if you ever get the chance. :wink2:

Mika continued his way around the circle, and by that point Cherisse had also stopped by to say hi. She was talking with people on the other end of the circle, saying hello and giving hugs. I’ve never really had much of a chance to speak to her – first I was talking with Mika, and then when she was nearby I was talking to John. I’m happy, though, that she’s still part of the team – I love watching her play. There’s an energy to her drumming that matches Mika’s energy whether he’s at the microphone or on keys, and visually I think that works well. John was also in good spirits, and we thanked him for the hot chocolate/coffee/cappuccinos and various donuts and other pastries. I could feel a sense of buoyancy in the air then, that Mika, Allison, John, pretty much everyone was feeling the electricity and the excitement of being back on board the Mika train, with things picking up as though they’d never stopped. Especially since the show went so well; I think everyone involved with Team Mika was feeling pretty good there after the gig.

Mika went around and talked to each MFCer, and then asked if we’d like pictures. He asked if we wanted a group picture or individual ones, hesitated for a moment, then said “ahh, let’s do both.” Mika got Yasmine and Allison to grab our cameras, and we posed for the group pic that’s on the front page of MFC. We then formed a line, gave Sara’s camera to Allison, and then cycled through getting the one-on-one pics with Mika. That part, too was really orderly and organized, and we managed to get through everyone’s picture in very little time. I love the pic of me with Mika – right before Allison snapped the shot he ran his fingers up through his hair, so it’s kind of sticking up all over. It’s great. His floofy hair totally epitomizes the fun, breezy low-key nature of the whole two days.

We finished with the pictures and started saying our goodbyes. As Mika left, he told us that new dates would be announced very soon – so, fingers crossed! He and Allison walked back through the doors to the backstage area, and the rest of us went the opposite direction and filed out the front doors of the Roxy into the Los Angeles air.

We were all pretty much walking on air at this point, and spent some time looking at the pictures of ourselves with Mika, and watching back the videos from the show. At that point I was just elated that the night had gone so well. For the most part, the queue was orderly. The majority of people respected the order of the queue, and the security staff at the Roxy were firm without being obnoxious. Mika was on fire, totally bubbling with energy and in top form, vocally. All these things worked together to make for a really great, really enjoyable gig experience.

And when we were fortunate enough to get a meet and greet it turned out really well because everyone there kept sight of some basic notions of respect.

*dons stern moderator hat*

When Mika came into the room no one crowded him – he was able to move freely around the area, taking time to talk to each and every MFCer there without having others crowd him physically or interrupt when he was speaking to another person. I totally understand that it’s easy to lose sight of reality when Mika walks into the room – I know that starstruck state of mind makes people go a little loopy. But if we can ALL stay in that state of mind where we respect our fellow MFCers, and Mika, then with any luck we can have some really great future meet and greets where everyone walks away feeling mellow and happy – Mika included. But, it takes all of us. As soon as two or three people get worried that they won’t get his attention and start pushing ahead and demanding things, everyone else gets freaked out and suddenly you have a situation where it’s a mob scene instead of a mellow meet-and-greet comprised of the most dedicated fans. We don’t want that. No one wants that. And going forward, sure there will be dates where things just don’t work out. Mika might be tired or feeling ill, and it might not be possible to have any sort of meet and greet whatsoever. Or Mika and his people might be rushing to get out of the venue and onto a tour bus in time to get to another city for another show. And often in the entertainment industry, things change rapidly. This LA meet and greet almost didn’t happen - not for any reason to do with us or with Mika, but simply because the venue had another act coming in and was in a hurry to clear the space for that show. But in the future when anyone reading this is fortunate enough to get such an opportunity, I hope you can all remember the LA show and remember what a great meet and greet it was. Let’s play that forward - let’s make this tour the best tour yet.

We stood outside the venue for a while longer, talking and reminiscing, still in a daze about how amazing the night had been. That’s another really great thing about this Mika magic: the friendships that we make as a result. When you sit on a sidewalk with someone for 10 hours, some really great friendships can be formed. I love that. In fact, I’m grateful for that.

*sappiness warning*

Often our friends and family in “real life” don’t quite get what all the fuss is about. Your fellow MFCers, however, totally understand. They know what it’s like to see a new video blog with 15-second snippets of new songs, and to have it make your week. They know what it’s like to stand outside a venue before a show, and to have that feeling of excited energy knowing you’re about to see something amazing. They know what it’s like to see Mika somehow manage to show off that million-kilowatt smile while singing at the same time, his eyes literally sparkling when a crowd full of people sings his lyrics back at him. And they know why all this matters so much. They know why you hang on to little details of his career, why the music touches you, why it resonates so deeply.

And that’s one of the reasons why so many of us feel that post-gig hole. Apart from the harshness of coming back to earth after the highs of these shows, it’s also tough to say “until next time” to friends you’ve made who are on the same level of understanding about something so great. So to all my MFCers in LA, thank you for everything. It really, truly wouldn’t have been the same without you all. And to everyone who sat at their computers around the world waiting for all the details, thank you. Thank you for contributing to the sense that all across the world, we’re a family of Mika fans who might come from completely different walks of life, but are yet linked through this crazy world of musical and creative brilliance.

I can’t wait for the next chapter in the Mika story. We’re in for something awesome, guys. I can just feel it.

Part 4 - Meet and Greet

He has this way of just connecting with people that a lot of people just don’t have. I think a lot of it is his body language – Mika is a master at commanding attention while fostering an appropriate vibe for the interaction. With his fans, it’s almost always a very open, very warm vibe. He’s very touchy, and that adds to the warmth of his interactions. When he was talking with Charlotte and Sara, Charlotte mentioned she liked his necklace. He told us it was actually perfume, then unscrewed the top and dabbed some on Charlotte and Sara’s wrists. It was very soft and slightly floral, almost like baby powder. That was just one example of the very non-stressed, casual nature of the meet and greet. It was way better for Mika, and better for the MFCers there, too.

Aaah the perfume moment :wub2: that was so sweet. By the time I'd realised what was going on, he'd smeared a lot of the stuff on my hand :roftl:

And, even though I didn't want to quote your whole message as it's so long, I just had to quote this bit. It's so true, and I am SO happy and grateful of the marvelous times that I had with fellow fans who are now friends. I love you :wub2:

Anyway, I was going to say that these reports are absolutely THE BEST and that I subscribe to every word you typed.

They are just incredible, so thanks for putting it all into words so beautifully :thumb_yello:

I don't remember him being that close to me before the group/individual shots. You would think I would remember that? :naughty: Thank God for pictures.

Yeah, that was strange for Mika to pick up my necklace...very unexpected...but nice. :wub2: I could feel his fingers on my tummy...I almost giggled but kept my cool. :mf_rosetinted:

I have Erika. He has both. I love Elvis...he has an attitude but he's not as shiny or girly.

Yeah, he just reached right down to your chest and picked up your necklace didn't he?? :naughty:

Have to ask... Erika & Elvis?

Actually... I think that was when I had handed my camera over for the group pics (I'm in the picture) but we hadn't really started posing yet.

Yes, he did quite smear us with the perfume. Kinda needed it after queing all day. Loved smelling my wrist all night. I was like, "Damn, Mika put this on me." LOL It was a very sweet moment...it seems like he was in front of us forever. :wub2:

Aaah the perfume moment :wub2: that was so sweet. By the time I'd realised what was going on, he'd smeared a lot of the stuff on my hand :roftl:

Awe, I love you guys so much. It's funny to think that I have seen you now in two different countries and I've only been to 4 shows. :naughty:

And, even though I didn't want to quote your whole message as it's so long, I just had to quote this bit. It's so true, and I am SO happy and grateful of the marvelous times that I had with fellow fans who are now friends. I love you :wub2:

Anyway, I was going to say that these reports are absolutely THE BEST and that I subscribe to every word you typed.

They are just incredible, so thanks for putting it all into words so beautifully :thumb_yello:

I have Erika. He has both. I love Elvis...he has an attitude but he's not as shiny or girly.

I don't get it... what do you mean he has Erika & Elvis... what is that referring to? (Was that what your necklace was?)

Edited by zoots14

Yay, Mana you finished! :wub2:

Thanks for summing up the way I'm sure all of us feels/felt. :)

I just found confetti in my purse!! :roftl::roftl:

Me too! I had to change bags 'cause I realized I had a bunch of confetti in mine :roftl:

Thanks for your pictures too :wink2:

Again, updated list of vids up to now

Ok, what the heck, here the new ones. I hope that they will be safe

TB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfuUKmHLe4&fmt=22

BIOTG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7eKa-0SKoc&fmt=22

GGG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILstP_D3DA&fmt=22

BE:

coming soon

SARA!!!! thank you, thank you, thank you! wonderful videos, as usual! :flowers2:

OK, FINALLY the complete list. Here they are, in case someone wants to update the front page:

Meeting:

Grace Kelly:

Big Girl:

Billy Brown:

Stuck In The Middle:

Love Today:

Lollipop:

Grace Kelly2:

goodbye:

&fmt=22

Ok, what the heck, here the new ones. I hope that they will be safe

TB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfuUKmHLe4&fmt=22

BIOTG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7eKa-0SKoc&fmt=22

GGG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILstP_D3DA&fmt=22

BE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrBnXl-2U9s&fmt=22

Seriously .... thank you so much for your vids .... they're amazing :wub2::huglove: