Mika in TETU magazine - Video and Scans!

Rain

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Calloute, whoever you are...

Marina you know we lurv ya dontcha? ;)

Yoooooohooooooo, babeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee those trousers/skinnies/sneakers/trainers are HAWT!

LOL

yep, i do :biggrin2:

you know we lurv ya too dontcha Carla? :wink2::wub2:

Edited by mari62

Is it possible for someone to translate it pleeease?:puppy_eyes:

I can't use the online translator on this one and I really don't understand a word of it.

am working on it! :) but it kind of takes a while ...

I've only translated the real interview part, not the intro... I have to warn you tho: don't blame me if it turns out the interview isn't 100 or even 90% translated correctly :blush-anim-cl: French isn't my first or even second language :teehee:

-------------------------------------------------

............A mika which, despite his reservations, has no problem answering back when the reporter from the Daily Mirror harassed him once again on his homosexuality: 'Have you heard the ****ing album? There is a song about a married guy that has a homosexual affair. There is no mystery' Is this a way of opening the closet door a little?

We imagine there’s a lot of pressure on this second album?

To tell you the truth, I have not even had the time to think about it, I wonder when I would find the time to do so between the interviews, concerts, tours, promotion ... I did the Parc des Princes last June, I played the big summer festivals, and the tour has ended in Beirut with a huge party. I was supposed to take a month's vacation for the first time in two years and a half and my holidays were reduced to five days in Syria. I go home and I said to myself '**** what am I going to do now? ' I received more than ten emails explaining to me that the next day I had to do that, go there, answer that ... that was a strange feeling.

It’s as if you were on a treadmill during these two years?

This was not a treadmill, because there were difficulties, it's more like a rollercoaster, actually. I’m lucky to have been able to control what I do, the same way as with my first album. The concerts I did, that was not someone else’s vision, it was what I had imagined. This self-control helped me, even if I was going through a period that was a little crazy and difficult. So when I started writing this new album, I refocused on myself. But nothing came out of it, and I was disappointed. So I decided to follow the idea of song-based fairy tales, but darker stories. And everything fell into place ...

During the design of the album, are there things that influenced you? Artists, art, clothes ...

It's funny that you quote clothes, because that had a great influence on me, well, I mean, the dresses from Disney films. You know, I'm obsessed with cartoons of the 1940s and 50, I love gus the mouse in Cinderella, which is too big, and I love the little birds who help dress her.

What is your favorite Disney?

Visually, you mean? Wow, that’s complicated ... I would say bambi or dumbo, because it is an infinite cruelty!

You like the mixture of sweetness and cruelty?

Yes, it's somewhat the base of the music and what inspires me, like patty page, that music affects me a lot or books such as Angela Carter ‘The Bloody Chamber’, which speaks of adolescence with great darkness, it’s gothic and magic. And then, of course, there’s Kurt Weill.

You are totally obsessed with Kurt Weill. You have to talk to your shrink?

I love it so much. When I was at the music conservatory, I was desperate to find someone who respects pop while coming from a classical background, and I found my master in kurt. He was radically different, anti-snobbery, anti-labels in all aspects of his life. And then he started in the world of classical musical and ended up in the opera.

You have a little tradition: your music remains popular, although it is very complex…

One should avoid surrendering to experimentation for the sake of experimentation. Pop music should remain organic, it shouldn’t cling to the years 1980 or 1990. When you hear certain songs of the 1970s, it is difficult to date them, it’s like they have been recorded yesterday. It is the goal I set for myself. That's why with the album before, I made a few acoustic songs. Like with lady jane, I wanted to give a colorful visual. But at the same time, I don’t prohibit myself the idea of reworking it later, I hate the idea that a song is dead and can’t evolve anymore.

Lady Jane is almost a tribute to Elton John?

(surprised) Really? Ohh that is such a compliment. What I love about Elton John is that he writes songs that evolve in function of the words. Lady Jane is just the same thing ...

How did you resist the pressure of the media?

I got trapped a bit when my album was starting to have some success, So I learned to be careful, but the paparazzi always have a way of finding you. I was at the emergency because my mother had a small accident and after five minutes, I received a text from Perez Hilton who wondered what happened. Los angeles is like that. And then, you know, I'm much bigger than you think, I measure 1.93 m, many people do not recognize me.

Perez Hilton accused you many times of being a closeted gay in the beginning?

Yes, I remember, but we met several times and we became friends. I think he understood my position, my point of view, he doesn’t bother me anymore with that.

They harass you a lot about your sexuality?

Yeah, always!

We’ve heard just about every reason why you won’t talk about it:

Marketing argument, the U.S. market, sexual anorexia ...

Mystery… (he laughs), no it's just that I don’t want to limit myself to such a random definition and keep my freedom. As for my label, I can guarantee you that if they approach the subject, I definitely get angry with them. At one point, some said that Billy Brown could not be released in the United States. I went to see the big bosses directly tell them that was ridiculous. Beyond whether I'm heterosexual or homosexual , I prefer people to talk about the concept of gender, something we don’t talk enough about in my opinion....

that's why I loved to do the cover of the American gay magazine ‘OUT’ because they pointed out something very important for me: that you can’t stick a label on me too easily. Having this kind of freedom is very important when you do pop. Look at prince and bowie, two of my favorite artists. They are both free and charged sexually in a very ambiguous way. A song like toy boy came from the fascination they evoke in me.

You consider yourself a toy boy?

(He laughs), not really ... but what pop singer experiments with their body today?

Beth ditto!

Exactly, but apart from her? But at the same time, if you're right: I like the idea of being a toy boy ...

Changing the subject. You are signed with the legendary label Casablanca. ...

You really think we'll change the subject? (laughter)

So, you know the story of the logo, that it’s the form of a male? (errmm, someone explain this to me because I don’t understand, I think I’m translating too literally :D)

Yes of course! You know, I am the only artist signed to Casablanca, the label now belongs to Tommy Mottola and I insisted that the original logo is present on all my records.

Here's the translation, I apologize in advance for the mistakes i may make :)

I'll try and be the closest to what Mika expresses.

Strange, Weird, off-beat, in his own little world ... such is what we hear everytime we mention pop phenomenon Mika.

When in 2007 we informed you about the arrival of this unusual pop singer, we didn't expect such a boom from this beanpole who put pop and circus together.

Elton John, Freddy Mercury, Kurt Weill, Disney ... he blithely breaks Pop rules and top the hit-parade by laying down his enchanted and enchanting musical universe. And he also keeps breaking the codes of sexuality, especially the limit between heterosexuality and homosexuality when he wildly sings his love for overweight women, or refers to a married man who discovers his homosexuality in Billy Brown, or when he enjoys himself covering Shakira's Hips don't lie on stage.

The only snag is that, with the phenomenal success and the logic starification of Mika's rainbow world, the issue of knowing whether Mika was one or not came up continuously.

Today, it can seem funny that Mika's sexuality should be such an important issue, even if it reminds us of Elton John's, The Pet Shop Boys' or Morrissey's 'I-won't-confess-my-sexuality'. But the social and political situation was not the same at this period of time.

Today, what Mika left unsaid looks rather like vanity from a forever teenager 26-year-old who created a world based on faciful kitsch references which are as many signals sent to the gay community.

A man, who, despite his concerns, is never at a loss of words. When the Daily Mirror journalist harasses him again and again about his homosexuality : 'Did you listen to this fuucking album? There's a song talking about a married man who has a homosexual affair. There is no mystery.'

A way to allow uncertainty to persist?

So this is the first part of the article. I go on with the interview, then.

Ohh, Droopsy and Rain, thank you! It looks like a difficult article to translate:blink:

I really like this interview.:wub2:

So do I :wub2:

Yes, me too. So interesting, and Mika is very himself in his answers, if you see what I mean ...