2009 - Mika @ Bestival, Isle of Wight, UK - 12 Sept - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

mari62

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink:

The facial sequins are freaking me out, mainly because I both love them (very Bowie-esque :wub2:) and am scared of them (there is something reptilian about his face like that :boxed:).

Overall though, I like the look.

Although the spacesuit...hmm..

Stay-puff-neca-toy.jpg

Overall though, I like the look.

Although the spacesuit...hmm..

Stay-puff-neca-toy.jpg

I know!!!!!!!! It was one of the first things I thought of as well!! But I love marshmellow man tho :teehee:

Didn't know where to put this, so I'll post it here:teehee:

Space theme

Mika told Newsbeat that he fulfilled a childhood ambition by being an astronaut for the day.

Mika threatened to wear his fancy dress back on the ferry home

He also had sequins covering his face in the shape of a star. He loved his outfit so much he didn't want to take it off and threatened to wear it on the ferry on the way back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_10000000/newsid_10001600/10001642.stm

I know!!!!!!!! It was one of the first things I thought of as well!! But I love marshmellow man tho :teehee:

Space theme

Mika told Newsbeat that he fulfilled a childhood ambition by being an astronaut for the day.

He also had sequins covering his face in the shape of a star. He loved his outfit so much he didn't want to take it off and threatened to wear it on the ferry on the way back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_10000000/newsid_10001600/10001642.stm

Did he wear it on his way home?

Here goes:

Part 1

Thursday, set off to catch coach, running a little late, discovered car parking at railway station needed coins, which I didn't have, so risked going to Bath to park up there. Got to Bath just on time coach was due to depart, no coach in bus station!

So went round to park up, thinking I may have to drive to Porstmouth to catch up there, when I saw someone with camping gear walking towards bus station. He said he was going to Bestival, and he checked the night before and the coach was due to leave at 12. This made me think, I could have got the bus into town to catch the train from home after all!:aah:

So I parked up, walked back to bus station, and asked at information, and they too had been told it was due to leave at 12, but they had only been told that morning. Well I waited and the guy came in, and we got chatting, and 12 o clock came and went, NO COACH!

This is when I started thinking, had it gone earlier, and should I have driven on down, to get the ferry.

The guy, who's name was Jack, went to check with information, and when he got back, it turned out that National Express had forgotten to send the coach our way, so they arranged for a taxi to pick us up and take us to Portsmouth.

There were 2 other guys waiting too, Giles and Rueben, who shared the cab with us, so off we went.

This was at 1.30!

Well, we got to Portsmouth and the taxi driver was told to take us to the railway station, of which there are 2, one in the centre and one by the ferry port.

Which one would you go to, if you had to catch a ferry?

Well this guy decided to take us to the centre, despite us all saying we should go to the ferry port. So we went to get a train to get us to the ferry, but Jack asked one of the cab drivers how much it would be to get us there, and he said £5. Between four of us, no problem, except the other 2 guyd decided the wanted their own cab, so Jack being a gentleman said he'd get the cab, even though I offered to go halves.

We got to the ferry and spoke to the National Express people, who said sorry for the mix up, but coming back would be better (I hope it was for the poor people coming back today). They were incredibly nice, and told us what we had to do and were we had to go to get on the ferry, or as it turned out Sea Cat (much faster, and cooler, ha ha!).

We had to queue a while, but eventually got on and then we were in the IOW.

Next was the LONG walk down the pier to the bus to take us to Bestival. Normally, it would be a lovely easy stroll, but when you're carrying a full backpack and a big tent, which gets heavier with every step, it feels like physical torture!LOL!!!

Then I had to walk along the VERY long queue for the bus, thankfully on the way back up, there was a wall I could sit on, so that helped a lot. Then we got on the bus and set off, and soon arrived at Robin Hill Adventure park, where it was being held.

By this time it was about 8.30/9.00pm and then we had to get our wrist bands and walk to the campsite, which was about a mile from the entrance, so off I went walking downhill which was a relief and off though the festival site, which was amazing, all lit up in the dark, and got to the campsite.

Gettint the tent up, was an adventure in itself, as I had started to put it up opposite the Carvery food stand and after being watched by 2 security guys, got told I couldn't go over the white line. Now in the not entirely bright lighting they had there, I couldn't see this white line, until I stepped back towards the path, and then just barely!

So, I pulled up the ground sheet, pulled it up and in slightly and they were happy.

By the time I'd finished, all I wanted to do was have a quick bite and a cup of tea, so I went over to the Carvery, and couldn't believe my eyes!

It was the lovely security guy from Blackpool, standing there chatting to a couple who were asking him questions about stuff. When they'd gone I tapped him on the shoulder and said "Hi, you were in Blackpool last Saturday?" and he said that's right, then I said, "You tried to pinch my chips" and he remembered and was very chatty, told me he was security in my field, which I was very happy with, someone to chat to, although as it turned out I didn't see him the rest of the weekend, ha ha! His name is John, btw.

So after having some food, I Twittered a bit, and went to bed, only to discover that I brought the inflatable bed with a puncture!

WHAT A START!!!

Space theme

:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Part 2

Friday.

After nipping into Newport to get my money for the weekend, I spent a lot of it getting my phone charged. And after getting totally ripped off, spend £8 and only getting it half charged ( they were using their own connectors, not my charger), I discovered on my way back down the hill, a solar powered charging tent, which was free!!!

Wish I'd seen it before, because they fully charged it, with my charger, needless to say, we became great friends by the end of the weekend, lovely guy.

I hung around the bandstand a fair bit over the weekend, as that's where the phone charge tent was, and saw quite a lot of good artists, can't remember names, but great music all the same.

When phone was ready, I wondered around the site to check things out, and found lots of interesting tents.

one was the X Box Beatles RockBand tent, and watching people doing Beatles tunes using the Rock Band instument, and there was a screen at the side, wher you could see the notes they saw to play. Brilliant.

Spent a lot of the evening in the comedy tent, thinking there would be someone I would recognise from Comedy Store, but there wasn't. One guy did 52 impressions in 10 mins, some good, some not so. Another, was a very bizarre looking guy, reminded me a little of Emo Phillips, but NOWEHERE near as funny, in fact a little scary in parts!

The last guy, was very good, had me laughing a lot.

Can't remember names, which is a shame, cause I'd like to look out for some of them on the Comedy Store.

Then I went to get some food, and watch Massive Attack, which was a good end to the evening, got chatting to this guy and his girlfriend, who actually run their own festival in Dorset, but are having trouble continuing with it as it's getting so expensive.

They recomended I check out the group that he once played in, who were playing at 3am on Sunday morning! Needless to say, I was attemping to try to sleep on the crap inflatable, wasn't in the mood for cowboy punk at that time.:naughty:

Went to wrestle with the inflatable bed and twittering to Guylainem in between attempts to keep it inflated, then attempted to get some sort of sleep.

Part 3

Saturday.

Got up early, 9.30, wanted to get hot shower and phone charged up and to main stage early.

So went to showers, to find they were giving out numbers to use them, I had a pink ticket 97, then found out they were firstly going through the grey tickets, which was only at 760! (there's 1000 tickets in a book). So wandered up to phone charger place hung out there for a while, and went back down about 10.30 and they had only got to mid 800's!

Didn't want to miss out so just stayed there, til my number was called out, which was about 12.15!

Went back to pick up phone, then got to mainstage at around 1.30ish, just as Goldie Looking Chain were about to start. Got to front by speakers, and could see where cars were coming in and out at the back, so thought, good spot for Andy to find me.

Then Little Boots came on, and I really enjoyed her performance. She came on dressed as Lady Penelope from Thunderbirds, in a tiny Rolls Royce car. It was brilliant. Although going off at the end, the car kept stopping and she went into fits of embarrassed giggles because of it, bless her.

While she was on, I saw Cherisse, and I think Dan getting out of a van and going towards the dressing area, then I saw the blacked out car pull up, but didn't want to stare, so looked at the stage, but did get a glance of Mrs P hanging around the back, so I thought I should see Andy any minute.

Time went on, and on, but no Andy.

Then it started, and I did really enjoy the show, Mika lookes great in the astronaut gear, and the guys in the band from what I saw on the screen, looked great in their silver spacesuits. Didn't see what Cherisse was wearing, but Sara was wearing her silver dress.

Mika came over to my side a few times, and at one point looked at me with a big grin on his face, so I'm guessing he was pleased to see me. At first I wasn't sure, but he held the gaze longer than usual so I think it was good.

I think he may have noticed me, as I was the only one along the front who was singing along to Dr John, BIOTG and Rain.

He grabbed a bucket of confetti, and I had a feeling I knew where it was going. And sure enough he walked over to Sara, who by this point could see where it was going as well, and she started grinning and bracing herself for the confetti shower she was about to get!

Then it got to Lollipop and the people dressed up came on, a small spaceman, a martian and various stormtoopers, and it went off very well.

Now I'm not going to beat around the bush here, I was quite hurt and disappointed that I didn't get to take part. Andy seemed quite sincere last Monday when he said we'd do this together, and even when I said how will you find me in a big field, he was quite adamant that he would. So I was pretty upset when it didn't happen, and with all the drama of getting there, being ripped off, sleeping on a rubbish inflatable bed, waiting in a queue for most of the morning, I was pretty upset afterwards, I thought if I bumped into them, maybe they could explain what happened, and that would have been okay, but like I said, big field loads of people.

And before I get jumped on, I know I shouldn't expect these things to happen, but Andy has never let me down before, so I wasn't expecting it this time. Hence why I feel let down and disappointed.

Anyway, I wasn't in a great mood for the rest of the day, even a stint in the comedy tent didn't help, so I turned in early listening to The Klaxons and Kraftwerk from my tent, but not sleeping well becuase of the bed.

People shouldn't promise what they can't, end of. Though I guess Andy wasn't really thinking about how difficult it would be, since they always see MFCers somewhere at some point. But still, I think the Bestival experience perhaps made him/them realise that organising such thing isn't exactly gonna be easy :naughty:

Part 3

Saturday.

Got up early, 9.30, wanted to get hot shower and phone charged up and to main stage early.

Now I'm not going to beat around the bush here, I was quite hurt and disappointed that I didn't get to take part. Andy seemed quite sincere last Monday when he said we'd do this together, and even when I said how will you find me in a big field, he was quite adamant that he would. So I was pretty upset when it didn't happen, and with all the drama of getting there, being ripped off, sleeping on a rubbish inflatable bed, waiting in a queue for most of the morning, I was pretty upset afterwards, I thought if I bumped into them, maybe they could explain what happened, and that would have been okay, but like I said, big field loads of people.

And before I get jumped on, I know I shouldn't expect these things to happen, but Andy has never let me down before, so I wasn't expecting it this time. Hence why I feel let down and disappointed.

Anyway, I wasn't in a great mood for the rest of the day, even a stint in the comedy tent didn't help, so I turned in early listening to The Klaxons and Kraftwerk from my tent, but not sleeping well becuase of the bed.

May I ask what Andy had promised you, Rose?