Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like KatrienVuerinckx is in the business too and doing the job better

Didnt know there was a bigger verison of the vid. :blink:

I haven't even seen it so I have no idea :aah:

Looks like KatrienVuerinckx is in the business too and doing the job better

Didnt know there was a bigger verison of the vid. :blink:

I've just made the screen bigger on youtube :teehee:

Sorry, I didn't mean to take your job ... I just couldn't resist making some screencaps of this amazing interview :wub2:

I've just made the screen bigger on youtube :teehee:

Sorry, I didn't mean to take your job ... I just couldn't resist making some screencaps of this amazing interview :wub2:

:naughty: I dont think they care who does it and not... and looks like they like your snaps cos they are bigger.... the bigger the better....

:shocked:

you have to... or well its in french but its also good if you dont understand french :wink2:

Ey, I've got a phone-call in French today at work ... I understood enough to know I couldn't help that person at all :aah: (I basically had no idea what she was on about, could understand a word here and there and I know where she was from, but that's about it :roftl:) And I even speak enough french to tell her she had to wait a little while :mf_rosetinted: (and then I passed on the phone to someone that was sitting next to me :aah:)

I should know French though, it's one of our official languages :aah::teehee:

These screencaps are seriously breathtaking, and I mean that very literally. The effect they have on my ability to remember to breathe is downright embarassing. :swoon:

Seems like he's got an oily t-zone though. :naughty:

This is my next post-gig gift to him. :mf_rosetinted:

022108_aveda_a.jpg

Poor guy :aah:

I've had enough for today .. I'm going to bed :roftl:

Sylvestre Defontaine:

After a fast explosion, after millions of albums sold, how do you start over and get back to work in a peaceful way?

Mika:

It is completely crazy, it's madness! I think we toured the world 8 times

and we tend to lose our priorities. It's a bit dangerous, as a matter of fact it's very dangerous.

So i tried to take a vacation, it lasted 4 days. I had scheduled to take 1 month vacation,

but i only took 4 days. And then, i locked myself up in a studio, i locked myself up in my

own world, i started to cut images, books, illustrations, comic strips and i glued them everywhere

on the studio walls. I watched old movies, i was reading books. i isolated myself for 6 months.

My family and friends didn't really know where i was. And that was good. It was a selfish way of living, i didn't share anything. When we are touring, we are always promoting, we are always sharing when we are on stage. It was very important to me that for 6 months to a year, to be isolated. I lost myself in a world and i started to write songs and it all started again. I was worried at the start, i wasn't sure what i was suppose to do anymore. I couldn't write in my flat anymore, as everything inside had changed, i didn't know where to start. By isolating myself, i found a way to start all over and to live for music again and that was exactly what i had to do.

Sylvestre Defontaine:

You talk about being in your own bubble, you talk about comic strips and everything else that

you surrounded yourself with, we have the impression that this album isn't so much about your childhood but more about your teenage years. why is that?

Mika:

I think it's because i was reacting to the first album. It is normal to react to the first album, it's always like that in a creative process. I think the first album really had childhood qualities, it had lots of fairytales, children's stories. I wanted to take my musical style and my style of mixing up difficult subjects, serious subjects and mixing it up with euphoric music and develop it. In a sense, i wanted to make a Part 2 of the first album. It led me to my teenage years. When we are teenagers, the fantasy world is always there, colors are always saturated. But instead of looking at it through a camera, we now look at it through a Tim Burton's lens. It gives it a more sinister style with a big smile. I liked that. It was a progress.

Sylvestre Defontaine:

Because there were so many hits on the first album, were you afraid by that? Did you feel the pressure that you had to do the same or more?

Mika:

Yes there is alot of pressure, that's for sure. There is always pressure. When my first single came out, some said "he's a one hit wonder". After, when we put out another single and then the album, some said : " He's not going to do well in live shows" There is always pressure. I have to forget that as much as possible and tell myself that this is pop music and pop music needs to be popular. But at the same time, i have to think that i want a 20 year career and think about the live shows. I have to think of which songs do i need to play live. It helps to think of all those things.

Sylvestre Defontaine:

When your first album came out, people were saying "oh his style reminds us of various artists" and sometimes you would say that you had no idea who those artists were. And now, you name your album "the boy who knew too much" is there a link with that?

Mika:

When the first album came out, people were saying it was a bit like Roxy Music and frankly, i had no idea what they were talking about. I tried to found out about that and i find that they were not right. I didn't see the parallel between their music and mine. I don't find it very accurate, sorry, i make alot of mistake with my french. I always said that i don't mind being compared to other artists. They don't compare me to anybody i hate, you know and i think that's the big thing. But i always said that one day, it would be great to be considered on my own term. I think it is starting now, people now go "oh yeah, this is Mika's music" I think it will happen more with the second album, but maybe i will need a third or forth album. We will see.

Sylvestre Defontaine:

So with "the boy who knew too much" what do you feel you have gained from the experience of the first album & what do you feel you have lost?

Mika:

I said to myself one week ago, when i woke up, it's weird because in a way, i gained alot, i have the chance of doing what i like. But since the age of 12, i've been working on my music. In a way, I lost everything, i sacrified all other things in my life for my music. But i think it's good, because it allows me to loose myself in my own world and detach myself. When you want to be creative, you have to do that. It is a bit scary when i think that if i wasn't doing music, what would i be doing?

Sylvestre Defontaine:

And now that you are doing music, is it exactly what you thought, what you wanted it to be?

Do you find it to be a burden, the music business, the concerts, the tours, would you prefer it to be less busy?

Mika:

No. I love what i do. I am super happy and i think i am a very lucky person. It is the truth. Even if i'm a bit sad because i had to sacrifice alot in my life, it has nothing to do with it. I am so lucky to do what i do. And for me, going on tour is when i start existing. In my personal life or my daily life, i am super shy. I'm almost scared to communicate with people. But when i am on stage, i understand the dynamic of it and that's something that i comprehend and i adore. Going on tour, that is now my life. My life is touring and making albums. The business side of it is a bit of a nightmare, but you have to protect yourself and forget about it. You have to think of the new shows, because everyday, there is one.

Thank you Guylainem123 for the translation.

This is another really interesting look into Mika's psyche for making music.

I love all of these interviews.

It really has been too long sice we have had Mika here, there & everywhere.

indeed!!! i'm actually behind on a few interviews :naughty:

i may keep some for when there is a mika drout :teehee: