As to the article in "Il Venerdì di Repubblica", isn't it the first time that he has talked about his sort of date with Gaga? He had never given so many details before. :confused:

as far as i know, yes, it is the first time

• 1 month later...

With the summer dates approaching it would seem that things are starting to appear in the press again :biggrin2: Here's an interview from Io Donna (a magazine that comes with a daily newspaper).

Thanks to Mari for the scans :flowers2:

th_IoDonnaCdS19062010.jpg th_IoDonnaCdS19062010002.jpg th_IoDonnaCdS19062010001.jpg th_IoDonnaCdS19062010003.jpg th_IoDonnaCdS19062010004.jpg

And here's my translation:

I’ve ended up in a rainbow.

He tries to narrate life in technicolour, writing songs that are hymns to joy. But they also talk about drugs, alcohol, and depression. “The contradictions are beautiful” he says. Watch me.

At school I was the bullies’ favourite victim - I dressed strangely, I was dyslexic and very shy. My mum used to say: “You’ll either end up in prison or you’ll become very special.”

A narcoleptic, a cross-eyed person, a big girl, a manic-depressive… The list of his songs’ heroes is a battlefield. But he swears that he identifies with all of them. “Even the lovesick girl with make-up running down her face.” Michael Penniman, known as Mika, has two albums under his belt, is labelled “pop’s most bizarre product” after Prince, and has sold something like 10 million albums. He loves and sings about those similar to him: outsiders, characters from gothic fairytales, each with their defects plain to see. He celebrates them with falsetto notes, jumping octaves, and wearing - he’s the only man in the world to do so - Christian Louboutins. On the whole, “a bit like swallowing a rainbow” he summarises. And that conveys the idea.

He’s about to return to Italy, with a string of dates from the 6th of July (Rome, Udine, Cagliari, and Cattolica), which are nearly sold out. Mika - the heir to Freddie Mercury, Elton John, and that indistinct mix that could go from Serge Gainsbourg to Fairouz - has a Lebanese mother and an American dad, three sisters and a younger brother. Nearly all are involved in the family business - him.

“I was watching an old film the other day, a silly film called Sirene” he explains. In the film Cher’s the mum of two girls (Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci). They’ve spent their entire lives moving from town to town. When things go bad what does the family do? They dance and sing It’s in his Kiss (by Aretha Franklin, and to convey the idea he sings it!!!). That’s how my life’s been. My dad was never around, and my mum, every time things were going badly, would turn the radio on and we would sing and jump around as if we were rehearsing for an opera. Even when we lived in a bed & breakfast in London for two years we survived thanks to our imagination. That’s how the mind of someone who moves often works. They create a world they take with them on each journey.”

Are you Pennimans used to the ups and downs of fate?

From having a lot we went to not having anything - When my dad lost everything, when we were evacuated from Beirut during the civil war. We’ve had a lot of ups and downs since I was born. But we’ve always done well for ourselves…

In effects the video to We Are Golden you jump around on your bed in your underwear like a child. Your songs are hymns to joy, but they also speak about alcohol, drugs, depression, sexual identity…

Some people say angrily that “it isn’t fair to say: ‘Father my life is over’ in a pop song.” But if you watch a Jacques Tati film he laughs because he’s pathetic, sad and alone. I like chaos, the contradictions are beautiful. Tim Burton does the same thing with his films…

Such as Edward Scissorhands…

… a film that changed my vision of the world!

Edward’s an artist but also very unlucky - often those two things go together. You were also a nerd, you dropped out of school.

I didn’t drop out you know, they kicked me out.

Even worse.

I was the bullies’ favourite victim. I dressed weirdly, I was dyslexic and very shy. I did everything I could to be popular, but it didn’t work. So I told myself “I have to find a way for my strangeness to work in for me, instead of destroying me.” My mum was very worried about me that day, she said “You’ll either end up in prison or you’ll become very special.” I used to get so angry that I’d tell her to go to hell. So I’d wind up getting a good slap and being locked in my room…

So the story of you being a mummy’s boy…

I’m not. I’m a 26 year old who’s reflecting on his own identity. And in order for a 26 year old person to do that they must look back to their childhood and adolescence. I did that in two albums and now I’m finished with it. If I repeated that again I’d feel… frozen. If you stay there you’ll never change.

In Dr John you say “I look for love in the back of a bar…”. You don’t think you grew up too fast?

Slowly as time passes I can only go to places which are more and more dangerous. I have to take risks.

That’s brave. You expose yourself to comments about your androgyny and your private life.

I’m not a brave person. If I go to a party I have to have at least three drinks before I’m able to cross the room, never mind speak to someone.

Now that you’re a celebrity there will be other people who want to talk to you.

That’s even worse. Now I have to have at least six drinks… Because of that I never go out.

However, your deal with worldwide issues - with politics, social problems, relationships…

Culturally, I’m fine - I read a lot, I’m not disconnected from the world. It’s only that I’m a disaster socially.

But you must be a great observer of people. Your stories, your environments seem stolen from real people…

That’s how it is. Some of my friends don’t speak to me anymore because of it…

Collateral damages… So there’s a Dr John or Billy Brown (a father who leaves his family because he discovers that he’s gay) somewhere?

Of course. But there’s another song, Love Today, which talks about a prostitute that I used to see every day on the highway in Miami. The song says: “I want to sell my love for a dollar and be happy”. It talked about her and about me.

Brava Nerys!! :huglove:

thanks so much for translating Nerys and thank you marina for finding the article:flowers2: it's such an interesting interview.

Our pleasure Netina! :pinkbow:

Greta found out about the article, Lucrezia found it online, I made the scans and Nerys translated: Italian team :thumb_yello:

But there’s another song, Love Today, which talks about a prostitute that I used to see every day on the highway in Miami. The song says: “I want to sell my love for a dollar and be happy”. It talked about her and about me.

....interestinggggg Mr Mika

:roftl:

I don't think Mika need to pay to get laid in his life :teehee:

The article is a bit predictable, the photos are not new, but I really needed this issue where he says that his mum locked him up in his room after slapping his naughty face. I will have it framed! :devil:

Well done, Mrs P! :kachinga:

:teehee:

The article is a bit predictable, the photos are not new, but I really needed this issue where he says that his mum locked him up in his room after slapping his naughty face. I will have it framed! :devil:

Well done, Mrs P! :kachinga:

:teehee:

:lmfao: 'well done Mrs P'???? :floor: you made me laugh!!!! :lol3:

With the summer dates approaching it would seem that things are starting to appear in the press again :biggrin2: Here's an interview from Io Donna (a magazine that comes with a daily newspaper).

Thanks to Mari for the scans :flowers2:

I bought the mag this morning! :thumb_yello:

Not new pics but good! :biggrin2:

Brava Nerys!! :huglove:

Our pleasure Netina! :pinkbow:

Greta found out about the article, Lucrezia found it online, I made the scans and Nerys translated: Italian team :thumb_yello:

Bravo for the Italian team!:wub2:

This guy is pretty scary:aah: