REPORTS/PICS/VIDS: Mika @ Fringe Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland - 23-AUG-2010

lollipop_monkey

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the security at the venue, who were accomodating all day, letting us use the lobby for sewing, bringing out umbrellas for those without them, and the brilliant system for queueing inside to make it fair for getting into the hall.

To John, for being his usual helpful self, going above and beyond to help us with whatever was needed. You did deserve the gift bag John, as much as anyone:thumb_yello:

To all the fantastic MFCers who made it a pleasure to be at the show and the queue before hand, the ones who travelled vast distances to be there, and made it fun.

To Mama P, Yasmine and the backstage crew, for the work they put in to this and every show. It can't be easy, negotiating a small venue like that, with the amount of stuff they have to work with, but you do, and you are amazing at it. We all love you for it.

And lastly to Mika and the band, who no matter how far they've travelled over the last year, and how tired they are made it such a fun show to be at. I hope after the last shows next weekend you all have a good rest (although I know Imma is about to go into overdrive with her own EP, I hope she gets a bit of rest in between).

I look forward to the next album with great excitement!

Love your report, Rose, but I did want to add my 2 cents to your thanks.

:)

The security at this gig were just brilliant! Especially compared to how

wretched security was at the last NYC show I was at. These guys Monday

night gave us foam earplugs, as we were standing directly in front of the

speakers (at least at first, we gradually slid down toward the center more

:wink2: ) and they made sure we had water throughout the night. And

of course they were fantastic at organizing the entrance to the venue --

the rain had made the queue a bit chaotic and too difficult to stand in

number order, but security made it all right in the end. :thumb_yello:

And as for thanks to John, Mika's team and family, and the band themselves,

well, my gratitude goes without saying! They are all fabulous. As is MIKA, of course :fangurl:

i still can't believe i heard blue eyes on my 3rd mikafanclub anniversary, thanks to deb :huglove:

Oh, was it your anniversary? I'm so glad the call finally connected! I

was having trouble getting through, and was hoping I'd get through

before my battery ran out. :naughty:

Of course- if he's curly he's curly!

(Posted that one for you Sheena)

He was a cutie, Sheena -- better keep your eye on him! :teehee:

I've just looked at my video for Dr. John, which turned out much better than I thought --

since we were in front of the speakers I thought the sound might be distorted, but it's

not too bad. Unfortunately, it's sidewise right now and I don't have the program for

righting it on this laptop, so it will have to wait until I get home. :(

Edited by dcdeb

Such a fun fun gig , does it always rain so heavy when Mika plays Scotland btw? seems to be a tradition :roftl:

So cool little venue , the levels of balconies seemed to go on forever with a smallish standing area,the crowd behind the fanclub seemed to take a good few songs to wake up then it was rocking :biggrin2:

2nd row back with a great view , was an amazing time I must say and one of the most "fun" gigs I've done , really cool vibe and seeing the band (and the Scottish members) so into it.

Kinda a farewell show though , I was thinking awwwww when will he be back and hoping it would not be agessss away:biggrin2:

Someone liked it :thumb_yello:

http://www.theedinburghblog.co.uk/entertainment/gigs/mika-at-the-edge-festival/08-24-2010/index.html

This one - OK ish

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/Gig-review-Mika.6097591.jp

edit - sorry second one is from February - I misread in a hurry this morning:blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl::blush-anim-cl:

Edited by Naectegale
I'm a fool

Hey, there was a big queue for the male toilet! :wink2:

Fortunately i used the female one :naughty:

Since i'm quite stupid and sentimental i thought that this gig could be different from the others, in particular more acoustic because the intimate venue and because the Fringe Festival atmosphere. I was wrong! Anyway the gig was great as usual.

It seems that M sips his pearls.

He does not sing anymore the intro of We are golden but he sings a touching final of Happy ending.

I started queue very early at 2 pm but i'm happy about this because we were in good company. Thanks to all for this funny afternoon despite the rain.

Probably M thinks i was rude.

I forgot to tell him i enjoyed his gig but i told him that Beirut's gig (the day before in the same venue) was special.*:punk:

I'm in love with Edinburgh and i will return there sooner or later.

:bye:

The day before in the same venue?? Im confused :huh:

The day before in the same venue?? Im confused :huh:

there's a festival going on at the Picture House as well, so every night is a different performer :wink2:

the night before Mika we went to see Beirut group gig :thumb_yello:

truly amazing musicians :wub2:

Well, am home now and have a bad case of the post gig blues.

Let's start at the very beginning...

Monday morning I high tailed it to Debenhams and had my very clever friend on Yves Saint Laurent do my make up (comes in very handy working in cosmetics!).

Asked her to use turquoise and purple (MFC colours hehe) and get some glitter and lashes in there and she did a fabby job.

Then met Sharon at the train station and we started our journey. The first train took us to Darlington then we got the next one to take us the rest of the way and this is where the fun started.

We had bags and bags of the party bag goodies with us so started to work on them, although we had a table there were also other passengers sat at it and we did get a few funny looks as we started the production line. The lollipop, streamers and bubbles went in the paper cup, which then went in a bag with the mask and a glow stick and on to the next one... 1.5 hours and 100 party bags later we arrived at Edinburgh.

A short taxi ride later and we were ar the Picture House yay!! Took the many bags and got Freddie, Shoni and her lovely sister to add the blowers, balloons and instructions and off we toddled to check in to the Travellodge.

After checking in we walked back to the venue and it rained and rained and rained ...

Well done so much with the party bags!!

I remember Luke telling Me Mama P was so pleased and to pass on the message down the line ..which we did:thumb_yello:

I did my best and i know he spoke to me and Ingie saying what are u doing when we blew the party blowers!!:naughty:

In video form Edinburgh blog

I got home on South Coast a few hours ago.

It was one amazing night!!! I am still excited. Infact, too excited to sleep.

I have FOUR dreams have come true!!!

1) meeting (not seeing!) Mika first time - tick!

2) get an autograph at meet and greet - tick!

3) Mika ate my strawberry sweets - tick!

4) the first time wearing wedding dress (which I missed on my wedding day) - Unexpectedly tick!

As this was just the second gig I managed to come (In my mind, this was almost the first one, as I was with my hub and had to rush back to get home to pick up kids from friend's house...no pressie, no m&g last time.), I wanted to enjoy the event (not only gig) to every bits. and So did I!

I arrived at the venue around 10am, but waiting was very enjoyable experience. Getting wet... Never mind, can I say it's because of being in Scotland???

I was soooo happy to see and have a chat with a lot of MFC members!

I am not good at remembering names, so if you don't mind, please write me whoever talked to me on the day. Sorry.

Everyone is so sweet and kind. You surely made this night unforgettable!

Sorry at the end, but I want to say a special thanks to those who made effort to prepare T-shirts, party bags and arm bands. They are brilliant and going into my treasure drawers (keeping off from my kids!!!).

xxx

I'm so gald you had a good tme!!

I remember your t shirt!!

glad you liked the bands too x:thumb_yello:

Such a fun fun gig , does it always rain so heavy when Mika plays Scotland btw? seems to be a tradition :roftl:

So cool little venue , the levels of balconies seemed to go on forever with a smallish standing area,the crowd behind the fanclub seemed to take a good few songs to wake up then it was rocking :biggrin2:

2nd row back with a great view , was an amazing time I must say and one of the most "fun" gigs I've done , really cool vibe and seeing the band (and the Scottish members) so into it.

Kinda a farewell show though , I was thinking awwwww when will he be back and hoping it would not be agessss away:biggrin2:

I hope it's not long FD! I need more already ....:aah:

Great 1st one with link to video but 2nd one seems to Feb Glasgow gig for me!:blush-anim-cl:

I'm checking out the local papersw today too.

Thanks for your review Rose, great to have you all as i say and thanks Sari for more videos!!!!

Great report Rose. Love that pic with Martin and the flag and I'm looking forward to seeing Jazzy's video of the birthday gift.

The security at this gig were just brilliant! Especially compared to how wretched security was at the last NYC show I was at. These guys Monday night gave us foam earplugs, as we were standing directly in front of the speakers

I heard somewhere recently that Mika told them to give out earplugs. I think it may have been the security in Japan??

Anyway great story earlier about Mika saying it's nice to see you again. You must have been pleased to hear that. :fangurl:

The gig was great like everyone says ...i think the crowd really got in to it and altough we could tell Mika was a bit tired ...( not that he didn't put in the usual 110%) he really gave it his all.

Great memories for points for me ....

Martin and David interacting with us ... fabby

Mika mentioning Oor Willie ..i think at Billy Brown ...did anyone video this one?

dancing with Ingie, Sheena, Cameron and the gang:teehee:

Great to have Sweet Dreams again

Seeing Luke, Bubbles , David and all the MFCers get their moment on stage!!

THe Q despite the rain!

The great atmosphere ....

Cherrise's awesome drumming ..she really does keep it all together!!!!!!

killing the band .. LMFAO!

Over my shoulder .... he got emotional again .. i love that song live sooo much

party bags .... when i got it together to do things! :teehee:

Mika .... always taking time to come and speak to us after the gig ..... amazing but not expected:blush-anim-cl:

speaking to all the band ... some nice moments with them all ....

It was Edinburgh!:biggrin2:

MFC!! :biggrin2: Seeing so many great people from UK and beyond!!

Missed hearing GGG

long version of rain .... ( know it's not possible in smaller show but i loved that!)

there's a festival going on at the Picture House as well, so every night is a different performer :wink2:

the night before Mika we went to see Beirut group gig :thumb_yello:

truly amazing musicians :wub2:

Ohhh! :teehee: I thought she meant something about him performing in Beirut the night before I was like :boxed: I understand now...Thanks Robertina!:thumb_yello:

I agree with you about the extended version of Rain Vicky. Loooove it!!

What does ancillary mean?

They mean that David is assisting with the keyboard playing. I think they're kind of implying that Mika should be the main player but he's just faffing around dancing and stuff while David does the important bits. :teehee:

Oh and by the way, this interview is from Glasgow in February, not Fringe. :blink:

front row at my left side...you can spot deb and rose and jazzy and sparkly and alice

23082010124.jpg

You know what, it actually took me a few seconds to discover Rose :roftl: I was like "I see Deb, there's Jazzy....erm...Rose? Where?" and then I was like "Oh, it's the tiny one next to Jazzy" :lmfao:

Ahh. I wonder if people do that to me sometimes LOL :roftl: I'm smaller than Rose!! :shocked:

wow, already 17 pages?!

Just got back online....it was awesome...will post a full report later, also took some pics...

:wub2:

hi girl! :original:

i take the chance to wave at all the new (for me) fans that i met at the fringe...i love extending my MFC family! :wub2:

hi girl! :original:

i take the chance to wave at all the new (for me) fans that i met at the fringe...i love extending my MFC family! :wub2:

same here!!! Just read through all the pages....aah, it was just soooo amazing....

my report will follow this afternoon...together with the pics...

it was awesome meeting so many mfc'ers. :mf_lustslow:

I agree with you about the extended version of Rain Vicky. Loooove it!!

They mean that David is assisting with the keyboard playing. I think they're kind of implying that Mika should be the main player but he's just faffing around dancing and stuff while David does the important bits. :teehee:

Oh and by the way, this interview is from Glasgow in February, not Fringe. :blink:

Yes the David Ran version was one of my all time best things!!

Yes the 2nd review is form Feb ... I'll try to get more today from Monday :teehee:

wow, already 17 pages?!

Just got back online....it was awesome...will post a full report later, also took some pics...

:wub2:

Hello!!

Was good to meet you, we always need longer to chat but i'm so glad you came to Edinburgh and look forward to meeting again!!:biggrin2:

I loved reading all your great reports and seing your wonderful Mika pics (and seing you with him and other MFCers!) Thanks you so much for sharing in this report thread! :flowers2::fangurl:

I hope I get to meet Mika and all of you some day! Aww!

I did see Mika on stage but there was no M& G on that night, so I'm so happy for you that you got one! I hope Mika will never stop M&G, as these are so special and sweet!

A special thanks to Caroline who managed to give Mika the presents I'd made for him as well as Kumazz's and hers. :bow:

Kumazz's present travelled from Japan to France, then to Belgium and finally to Scotland so Mika could have it! What a trip! ;)