Celebrate - First single radio listening! + Discussion & Lyrics

No! No! It's fine! You're entitled to your opinion! I don't really like the sound of his voice, but maybe thats just my ears!:aah: I think the track would be quite alright without his speaking part. I'm sure Mika has this all under control.

:mikacool:

InMikaWeTrust :teehee:

i actually like the song more from the spoken bit on. :teehee: i think the song is alright, it's nothing that blows me off my feet, but it's nice to listen to and it's catchy. very mainstream, like i already expected from that amazon snippet. it's just that i would've expected more from the first single, since all those people wrote how mindblowing the new album is. but then, i guess it can't hurt if i still have something to look forward to re. the album. :biggrin2::naughty:

and do we know yet whether celebrate will be released as a single anywhere else than in france? maybe they're releasing it in france as a summer hit, and all other countries have to wait for a (different) single til september? :dunno:

I quite like pharrell I have to say :blush-anim-cl: All the songs I know where he had a small "role" in, worked ten times better than without him :teehee: I don't know if I would notice if he wasn't in this song anymore though but I like his music in general.

There are so many negative comments from fans on youtube :sad:

Yeah, that surprised me a little, but I guess some fans weren't ready for Mika's new sound. I actually think Celebrate sounds very Mikaish times a thousand. :wub2:

yes, I know I was rude and I'm sorry...but honestly he's getting on my nerves...I was all happy cause I was expecting to hear Mika all the time but then I realized it wasn't him AT ALL in some parts :blink:

Hope that in the live version Pharrell Williams won't be there in some registered parts :mikacool:

Even though I kinda also don't like Pharell his participation is been reduced to a minimum so I can tolerate him. :teehee:

I think Mika's quite aware of the fact that his voice doesn't click that much with some rappers but in this particular song it's been done with style Imo. :wink2:

I didn't really understand the interview, but I could say that I really like 'Celebrate', much more than 'Make you happy', even if Mika, with all these news, makes me happy :naughty:

Really hope someone will translate into english these interview :blush-anim-cl:

(I know, have to learn french quickly, it could be helpfull)

Yeah, that surprised me a little, but I guess some fans weren't ready for Mika's new sound. I actually think Celebrate sounds very Mikaish times a thousand. :wub2:

Exactly, and I think it's for that reason that I like more Celebrate than Make you happy. Even if I understand that maybe Make you happy it's not so commercial and common, it's just different, and so I'll need more time to appreciate it.

That does confuse me a bit, because it's hardly a whole new sound is it? :aah: He's hardly gone death metal or grime on this single....

It's just a continuation of his very poppy mainstream sound, updated a bit. Perhaps it's the updating that many don't like? But it's nothing radically different to his older stuff, IMHO.

It's... erm... Okay. I can't say I absolutely love it, but at the same time I don't hate it either. Have to say though, towards the end of the song (esp. around the Pharrell part) it really reminds me of One More Time by Daft Punk...

[YOUTUBE]FGBhQbmPwH8[/YOUTUBE]

I think I liked MYH better.

Same here. I like it, but something about Celebrate hasn't quite caught my interest. Maybe it'll grow on me.

First listening: "I think I like it - I think I will like it very much after some listening"

I've listened to it probably 1/2 dozen times and I'm still not "OMG this is amazing" kinda loving it.

It's a little bit 'rent-a-rapper' isn't it? :blink: I suppose we should be grateful it's not a full-on cheesy rap a la Rebecca Black :aah:

:lmfao: OOoooh, for that I'm very grateful!

I do!

merde means good luck :wink2:

:lmfao: Yeah, sure... :teehee:

I won't say a word this time :mf_rosetinted:

de5e1f66b6b711e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg

:shocked::swoon:

OOM,I'm loving his look! He looks soooooo hot! *fans self*

*stares at picture some more*

I could be totally wrong and I really really hope I am, but I don't see this song doing it for him in the UK. Make You Happy would have, as it's so unique.

Gonna play devil's advocate here... As unusual as Make You Happy is, it may have put people off Mika even more than what they are now.

this might sound cheesy, but... Celebrate might be enough to convince them to make him UK representative on the next Eurosong competition :aah:

Gotta be a better choice than Englebert Humperdink (or however his name is spelt!)

That does confuse me a bit, because it's hardly a whole new sound is it? :aah: He's hardly gone death metal or grime on this single....

It's just a continuation of his very poppy mainstream sound, updated a bit. Perhaps it's the updating that many don't like? But it's nothing radically different to his older stuff, IMHO.

Celebrate is more old Mika than Make You Happy. I would say his new music is very different, but maybe it's just updating, and he needed some updating, imo. There are some big changes otherwise (the band, new, more adult image etc) and it can make the change feel bigger.

I agree it goes downhill after the Pharrell bit. In my opinion not specifically because of him; it just fizzles out for some reason :sneaky2:

It's because there's no climax. That's why I prefer Make You Happy. The ending is very powerful.

Repetition is the key to a good pop song. It makes the listener remember the title of the song and you want that. You want it to be stuck in the listener's head. Katy Perry taught me, she should know:mf_rosetinted:

Repetition is the key to people remembering a pop song that is otherwise unmemorable. If it's a brilliant song it doesn't require so much repetition. And with Mika the problem is not repeating the chorus throughout the song but repetition within the chorus itself. I think it sounds weak at best and extremely irritating at its worst (Rain, I'm looking at you :mf_rosetinted:)

and do we know yet whether celebrate will be released as a single anywhere else than in france? maybe they're releasing it in france as a summer hit, and all other countries have to wait for a (different) single til september? :dunno:

This is what I'm wondering. Maybe this will not be the lead single in the UK. It's all very strange and a bit dangerous IMO. I really hope they know what they're doing because Mika has only one chance to make a comeback in the UK. If it flops it will take a miracle to maintain any interest and attention for the rest of the album.

I totally agree. I think it will be indistinguishable from his older stuff when it's performed live. It's just got some slight autotuning and a not-really-rapping-rapper in it. :naughty:

I think perhaps when it comes to long-time fans, he is a victim of his own marketing hype about being original and not conforming to any sound. This sounds exactly like what's been on the radio the past 2 or 3 years and I'm surprised he said otherwise very recently. Based on Make You Happy though, I sort of expect that Celebrate is the most generic poppy song on the album. I guess we'll see.

I love both songs so far and I really want a lot of success for him for this album. :crossed:

Here is the link of the interview:

http://manu-dans-le-6-9.nrj.fr/on-en-a-parle/mika-etait-en-interview-dans-le-69/

Many pics on NRJ's Facebook

Introduction:

boy: We told you he would be here this morning and here he is!

girl: He's handsome! He's putting his headphone on.

boy: What a nice hairstyle!

girl: yeah!!! He's really smart

*Mika laughs* Then they remind people of who Mika is and they play a bit of Grace Kelly.

boy: Mika, you're fluent in French, aren't you?

Mika: yes.

boy: Can you speak German?

Mika: no.

boy: so let's do the interview in German!

*laughters*

Girl: you speak very good French, but with a subtle accent (she means a slight accent).

Mika: subtle? I'm confused. (he wants an explanation of the word. The boy gets silly and tells him it's one of the sex positions *sic*)

Can someone make Pharrell Williams shut up? I hate to hear his voice during the song :mikasweat:

sorry...I'm rude, I know :shocked:

One of my friend cut off that part with edit program for me and it's good :mf_rosetinted:

Well, Rain is repetition gone too far:naughty:

I see you're getting into a bit of a YouTube catfight. :teehee:

Introduction:

boy: We told you he would be here this morning and here he is!

Thanks for the translation. :flowers2: I decided not to wait up when I heard the song yesterday so I haven't had a chance to listen to the interview yet and it's much easier with a translation!

One of my friend cut off that part with edit program for me and it's good :mf_rosetinted:

Oh dear :lmfao:

I actually do like rap and I think Mika would be a really great vocal feature in a rap song. But this is kind of weak. :naughty:

A mention on digital spy

Mika has debuted his new single online

The singer has teamed up with Pharrell Williams for 'Celebrate', which will serve as the lead single from his upcoming album The Origin of Love.

The track was co-written by Mika, Williams and FrYars, and was produced by Nick Littlemore from Pnau and Empire of the Sun.

'Celebrate' follows recent promotional track 'Make You Happy', which Mika unveiled last week as a taster for his new album.

The Origin of Love will be the star's third studio album and follows 2009's The Boy Who Knew Too Much. It will be released in September.

Girl: Your accent is really sweet.

Boy 2: (he's getting thick too and repeats the name of the sex position to describe Mika's accent)

Boy 1: Mika, thanks for being with us this morning. We'll be the 1st radio to play your new single! Do you feel pressure?

Mika: yes, I do. I've spent 18 months in the studio...

Boy 1: You really spent 18 months to write a 3 minute song?

*laughters*

Boy 2: Give me guitar and I'll make a song within 2 minutes! Let me tell you, you're working at a very slow pace! You're a real star: needing a year to release a single!

Boy 1: we'll play an extract, the first one, of your new album that's going to be released in September. Is that right?

Mika: yes, that's right.

Boy 1: is it ready already or are there still things to get done?

Mika: a few things. About a week of mixing.

Boy 1: we'll talk about your single, your album, your life and sex because it's what we usually do in this programme! We can talk about sex only and skip the interview about your album... *laughters*

Boy 1: we'll listen to Mika's new song. It's the first time it will be played in the world!

Mika swears *merde*

Girl: we can't wait!!!!!

Boy 1: the name of the song is "celebrate". Mika would you like to say a few words and introduce your song yourself?

Mika: *hesitating* Here is my new single. Its name is "celebrate".

The song is played.