==================

Edited by mari62
post 26

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the pre-gig thread, thanks Leonita!

I don't see a report page. I'm really tired.

briefly: he was amaziiiingg!!!

so special to hear more of his voice & less of the instruments.

he closed with Over My Shoulder, I'd never heard him sing it live before, gave me goosebumps.

it was pretty chilly outside. met some nice fans.

got to get some sleep now!

It was an awesome gig. He was very candid, learned he has never and probably will never play Kick Ass. That he doesn't like the song Erase :(

He was trying not to swear because he cousins were watching but failed epicly.

Those are my 2 am musings. Good night!

It was an awesome gig. He was very candid, learned he has never and probably will never play Kick Ass. That he doesn't like the song Erase :(

Hi! :bye:

Thank you so much for your thoughts about the gig!

It's a pity that he will never play Kick Ass....i'm wondering why...

I've heard him do Kick Ass but it took a lot of cajoling. :naughty:

I don't blame him about Erase. :aah:

I am more curious why he won't do Overrated.

Was there some reason why he started talking about the songs?

Have a good night. :bye:

I should amend the Kick Ass statement, He was saying he didn't like to and hasn't sung it while on the piano.

Near the end of the concert when he was looking at the Set litst and asked "What else is on the Menu?" and people were shouting out songs and we commented on those two.

I should amend the Kick Ass statement, He was saying he didn't like to and hasn't sung it while on the piano.

Near the end of the concert when he was looking at the Set litst and asked "What else is on the Menu?" and people were shouting out songs and we commented on those two.

Ah I see, thanks.

Erase is one of my favorite songs. But he did say he shouldn't talk bad about his own songs because someone else may like them.

Yeah shame I guess you didn't want to hear that about Erase. :aah: I'm not a fan of it myself.

I don't think Mika is much up for improv at these gigs because he can't remember how to play songs he hasn't been rehearsing anyway. :teehee:

If I get the chance I may ask for Un Soleil Mal Lune because he may have it ready for Montreal on Saturday.

Ah I see, thanks.

Yeah shame I guess you didn't want to hear that about Erase. :aah: I'm not a fan of it myself.

I don't think Mika is much up for improv at these gigs because he can't remember how to play songs he hasn't been rehearsing anyway. :teehee:

If I get the chance I may ask for Un Soleil Mal Lune because he may have it ready for Montreal on Saturday.

He better :naughty:

Ok, I didn't read reviews of any other shows, I wanted this to be a surprise.

I was outside (rather chilly, glad I had gloves) from 5.30 to 6.30 pm, I brought a folding chair and got some homework done. Then Mika didn't come onstage till 8.15pm!

So you may already know the setlist. He opened with Grace Kelly & closed with Over my Shoulder, which was haunting and gorgeous. and a surprise, usually he does a very bouncy song at the end. But I adore that song, had never heard him sing it live before.

He played 1 hour 45 minutes, right up to 10pm, which is when they HAD to end the show, as it was "all ages". It seemed like he was enjoying it, so relaxed and chatting, that he would have gone on all night.

I sat up in the balcony next to a couple who had brought their daughter from Michigan. Well, they were soon clapping and singing along too!

It seemed like he played 20 songs. The opening "D.J " act by Curtis & Max---- sorry I found it very annoying after about 5 minutes.

His voice sounded fantastic, he was so charming, and played so hard on the piano! I was a teensy bit disappointed he didn't wear a bow tie.

Otherwise, it was my 4th gig, and my favorite because we heard more of his voice.

The stage was verrry small. I did miss his sporadic leaps into the air and crazy dance moves though!

There was a group of fans on the right side, I believe dressed as the Village People, who were dancing like crazy, and he saluted them at the end.

We met some nice fans who drove from Texas,(sorry I forgot your names!) they were at a table behind us. (we got seats right up against the railing, center balcony) My boyfriend is 6'2", and gave up his seat next to me, as the girls behind us wouldn't be able to see Mika at all, and he sat behind me. what a guy!

This was his 2nd Mika gig, he said he preferred the higher energy level of the one in October, but he said the smaller venue seemed more suited to Mika when he's on the piano.

Because the show ran late, many restaurants were closed afterwards! so, no deep dish pizza.

Overall, it was a marvelous evening!

Because the show ran late, many restaurants were closed afterwards! so, no deep dish pizza.

Overall, it was a marvelous evening!

Oh you missed out on the pizza too? Dayum! :naughty:

The show sounded great though. I'm so happy to hear his voice is holding up with this crazy schedule. It seems like he hasn't been spending much time outside after the shows so I guess it's paying off.

Oh you missed out on the pizza too? Dayum! :naughty:

The show sounded great though. I'm so happy to hear his voice is holding up with this crazy schedule. It seems like he hasn't been spending much time outside after the shows so I guess it's paying off.

His voice was perfect!!

and I am lucky enough to be able to eat Chicago pizza anytime.

we ended up going to R.J. Grunt's for fantastic burgers.

http://www.rjgruntschicago.com/

a Chicago institution, they don't play any music later than 1979!

Ok, I didn't read reviews of any other shows, I wanted this to be a surprise.

same here, & I truly was surprised. Loved the venue, so intimate & great acoustics, interesting that he planted two microphones in the audience so he could hear the crowd. Glad I was on the right side, Mika apologized to the people on the left who only saw the back of his hat/head for most of the show. I enjoy his talk about shredding the piano & it sounded like his piano from church and he talked about the alchoholic woman who played the hymns. It was so sweet hearing hearing his superb voice that needs no over-amplification & just showcases his pure & beautiful skills. Bravo, Mika:clap:

I can hardly imagine KA on the piano.... (though, it was hard to imagine OFB acoustic - and it was perfect at Live@Home!).

7 videos uploaded by user : Rene Valdez http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCinvduecEoDaTRtBFlN9BVg/videos?view=0&flow=grid Thanks a lot !!

GK

[YOUTUBE]tehPIOdaugQ[/YOUTUBE]

Lollipop

[YOUTUBE]tbUBeI1lPN0[/YOUTUBE]

Popular

[YOUTUBE]A59u8rck9IA[/YOUTUBE]

Drunk

[YOUTUBE]xb51u0az-4A[/YOUTUBE]

Underwater

[YOUTUBE]kRMHm8MF65E[/YOUTUBE]

Relax

[YOUTUBE]rRgtOJcvmtc[/YOUTUBE]

Love Today

[YOUTUBE]wGM_jwJ2rA4[/YOUTUBE]

I can't even begin to tell you how amazing this concert was. It was such an intimate setting and Mika was in top form.

It's an amazing feeling when you walk up to a concert queue and immediately recognize people!! :) I love that.

Honestly. It made waiting in the cold SO much more bearable. Granted, I know we've waited in much poorer conditions, so it wasn't horrible. Made it to the front row so I could see his face behind the piano. :) I almost told someone "This is the closest I've ever been at his show."

No. No it's not. I've been on stage with him. Clearly closer. hahah!!

LOVED Curtis and Max as an opening act. We kept saying "They can do no wrong right now!"

Mika doesn't need gimicks and big stage productions. This show was completely devoid of all of that. He didn't need it. His voice and piano skills showed beautifully. He's refined himself so well.

In the beginning of the show he goes "They've told me I can't f!@#$$%^ curse tonight." and we went to make eye contact with him. I pointed downwards to get his attention because next to me there was a little girl that couldn't be more than 4 years old. All ages show, remember? haha!

I fell in LOVE with "21st Century Man" when he played it. He mentioned that it was for a movie and that he probably wouldn't do anything with it" and I just wanted to cry because it's brilliant.

Relax in acoustic format is my absolute favourite thing ever. You should have seen me burst into tears. Pathetic, I know.

Magical. He was magical on every level. Forgetting the words to Emily was funny so we yelled to "SING IT IN FRENCH" and he was like "NO!"

Graciously signed autographs for us too. I had a photo collage made from the last concert and I handed him a silver sharpie. He went to write on it in BIG letters and he looks at me and goes "This ISN'T working!" I took a breath and handed him a black sharpie :D Success.

Twice in Chicago in less than 6 months. Magical. I just sincerely hope it's not EONS until he comes back to the states.

Pictures to come soon!!!

Edited by kasia87

I can't even begin to tell you how amazing this concert was. It was such an intimate setting and Mika was in top form.

It's an amazing feeling when you walk up to a concert queue and immediately recognize people!! :) I love that.

Honestly. It made waiting in the cold SO much more bearable. Granted, I know we've waited in much poorer conditions, so it wasn't horrible. Made it to the front row so I could see his face behind the piano. :) I almost told someone "This is the closest I've ever been at his show."

No. No it's not. I've been on stage with him. Clearly closer. hahah!!

LOVED Curtis and Max as an opening act. We kept saying "They can do no wrong right now!"

Mika doesn't need gimicks and big stage productions. This show was completely devoid of all of that. He didn't need it. His voice and piano skills showed beautifully. He's refined himself so well.

In the beginning of the show he goes "They've told me I can't f!@#$$%^ curse tonight." and we went to make eye contact with him. I pointed downwards to get his attention because next to me there was a little girl that couldn't be more than 4 years old. All ages show, remember? haha!

I fell in LOVE with "21st Century Man" when he played it. He mentioned that it was for a movie and that he probably wouldn't do anything with it" and I just wanted to cry because it's brilliant.

Relax in acoustic format is my absolute favourite thing ever. You should have seen me burst into tears. Pathetic, I know.

Magical. He was magical on every level. Forgetting the words to Emily was funny so we yelled to "SING IT IN FRENCH" and he was like "NO!"

Graciously signed autographs for us too. I had a photo collage made from the last concert and I handed him a silver sharpie. He went to write on it in BIG letters and he looks at me and goes "This ISN'T working!" I took a breath and handed him a black sharpie :D Success.

Twice in Chicago in less than 6 months. Magical. I just sincerely hope it's not EONS until he comes back to the states.

Pictures to come soon!!!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I think this format for shows really suits his voice.

Ah I see, thanks.

You what?!? I thought you hated the French songs and thought he shouldn't sing in French? Did I miss something?

Me too! I would love to come back to Chicago but in warm weather please! Thanks for your report. :flowers2:

You what?!? I thought you hated the French songs and thought he shouldn't sing in French? Did I miss something?

I never said I hated the French songs, I just don't like Karen. BIOTW is awful in any language I'm afraid so it's nothing to do with the French. :aah: And yes he shouldn't sing French songs - in London. But this is Canada not England.

I never said I hated the French songs, I just don't like Karen. BIOTW is awful in any language I'm afraid. :aah: And yes he shouldn't sing French songs - in London. But this is Canada not England.

My mistake...

I think it could work in Italian, but indeed, not English or French.

My mistake...

I think it could work in Italian, but indeed, not English or French.

Please no more pandering. I don't mind the occasional pretty French song at a gig that shows off his lovely vocals. And Elle Me Dit was great because, despite the French lyrics, it is very much in the format of an English pop song. But getting others to write lyrics for him just to appeal to a local audience smacks of desperation and insincerity to me. Like having a rapper on one of his songs. Although I would enjoy the rapping more to be honest.

Please no more pandering. I don't mind the occasional pretty French song at a gig that shows off his lovely vocals. And Elle Me Dit was great because, despite the French lyrics, it is very much in the format of an English pop song. But getting others to write lyrics for him just to appeal to a local audience smacks of desperation and insincerity to me. Like having a rapper on one of his songs. Although I would enjoy the rapping more to be honest.

I was thinking morre along the lines of letting Eros Ramazotti sing it. I think it would suit him much better. And that way Mika can stick to the kind of heartwarming love songs that suit him best, like LYWID :mf_rosetinted:

Edit: but I'll shut up and leave this thread for gig reports :teehee: