2011 - MIKA @ Magic Numbers Secret Gig, London - 22 Jan REPORTS/PHOTOS/VIDEOS

Droopsy

Hi,

I haven't read any of the reports yet and I only have a short time to spend on the internet today, while in London, so let me just post a short report that includes only my impressions about the gig yesterday. (I don't think I'd elaborate it any further later on, either...:teehee:)

To begin with, it really felt like a living room gig and Mika wanted everyone to feel comfortable - even though some people forgot about his own 'comfort zone' first (i.e. leaving him space to perform), but it was quickly sorted out.

In general, I'd say the gig was special but perhaps in a different way than people would have thought. If I had to sum it up in a few words, I'd say it was 'Mika raw and acoustic', meaning that it provided some insights into the person Mica, the popstar Mika is built from ( :teehee: ). For example, he had this idea of fans choosing songs he'd sing before he realised he forgot not only the chords but also the lyrics of some of them :doh: He did well, though, and managed to finish most of the ones he started, with some help :roftl: I guess it was a learning for him as well. I still enjoyed it a lot though, especially when he'd start a song unsure about what chords to play along, but once having figured it out in the middle, he'd gain confidence in finishing it in the most beautiful way. :blush-anim-cl:

There were also many funny stories and some original lyrics in some of the songs ( :naughty: ) but the best part for me was the way he was improvising and expected the band to join him in it. To me, it almost felt like some kind of insights into the way he builds up songs. It was probably most evident when he started to teach The Only Lonely One to the band who clearly had not even heard of that song, let alone know what it sounded like. :roftl: They / we did well in the end. Most of us were singing only the choruses of some songs but not the verses, luckily, as it was really an acoustic performance - Mika did not even have a microphone. So the sound recorded must be good. As for the band members, Martin played the guitar on some songs, Cherisse was clapping and drumming on the piano as 'instructed' by Mika, iMMa was singing beautifully as usual and David did particularly well - helping Mika out on the piano and also singing great backing vocals.

So, it was all these little things that made this special to me. Mika was out of his pop star routine - with his mind clearly somewhere else -, but you could clearly recognise the talent he has in improvising and creating songs from certain rhythms and pieces of melodies he stores in his head. :original:

Edited by suzie
2 typos

Hi,

I haven't read any of the reports yet and I only have a short time to spend on the internet today, while in London, so let me just post a short report that includes only my impressions about the gig yesterday. (I don't think I'd elaborate it any further later on, either...:teehee:)

To begin with, it really felt like a living room gig and Mika wanted everyone to feel comfortable - even though some people forgot about his own 'comfort zone' first (i.e. leaving him space to perform), but it was quickly sorted out.

In general, I'd say the gig was special but perhaps in a different way than people would have thought. If I had to sum it up in a few words, I'd say it was 'Mika raw and acoustic', meaning that it provided some insights into the person Mica, the popstar Mika is built from ( :teehee: ). For example, he had this idea of fans choosing songs he'd sing before he realised he forgot not only the chords but also the lyrics of some of them :doh: He did well, though, and managed to finish most of the ones he started, with some help :roftl: I guess it was a learning for him as well. I still enjoyed it a lot though, especially when he'd start a song usure about what chords to play along, but once having figured it out in the middle, he'd gain confidence in finishing it in the most beautiful way. :blush-anim-cl:

There were also many funny stories and some original lyrics in some of the songs ( :naughty: ) but the best part for me was the wat he was improvising and expected the band to join him in it. To me, it almost felt like some kind of insights into the way he builds up songs. It was probably most evident when he started to teach The Only Lonely One to the band who clearly had not even heard of that song, let alone know what it sounded like. :roftl: They / we did well in the end. Most of us were singing only the choruses of some songs but not the verses, luckily, as it was really an acoustic performance - Mika did not even have a microphone. So the sound recorded must be good. As for the band members, Martin played the guitar on some songs, Cherisse was clapping and drumming on the piano as 'instructed' by Mika, iMMa was singing beautifully as usual and David did particularly well - helping Mika out on the piano and also singing great backing vocals.

So, it was all these little things that made this special to me. Mika was out of his pop star routine - with his mind clearly somewhere else -, but you could clearly recognise the talent he has in improvising and creating songs from certain rythms and pieces of melodies he stores in his head. :original:

:wub2: :wub2:

Hi,

So, it was all these little things that made this special to me. Mika was out of his pop star routine - with his mind clearly somewhere else -, but you could clearly recognise the talent he has in improvising and creating songs from certain rythms and pieces of melodies he stores in his head. :original:

Wow, that must a have been a very special experience!:thumb_yello:

I'm so happy for you!:wub2:

where did you find that one?

i refreshed the channel and saw the vid's out :roftl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kc0V86qFbs

Hi,

In general, I'd say the gig was special but perhaps in a different way than people would have thought. If I had to sum it up in a few words, I'd say it was 'Mika raw and acoustic', meaning that it provided some insights into the person Mica, the popstar Mika is built from ( :teehee: ). For example, he had this idea of fans choosing songs he'd sing before he realised he forgot not only the chords but also the lyrics of some of them :doh: He did well, though, and managed to finish most of the ones he started, with some help :roftl: I guess it was a learning for him as well. I still enjoyed it a lot though, especially when he'd start a song usure about what chords to play along, but once having figured it out in the middle, he'd gain confidence in finishing it in the most beautiful way. :blush-anim-cl:

There were also many funny stories and some original lyrics in some of the songs ( :naughty: ) but the best part for me was the wat he was improvising and expected the band to join him in it. To me, it almost felt like some kind of insights into the way he builds up songs. It was probably most evident when he started to teach The Only Lonely One to the band who clearly had not even heard of that song, let alone know what it sounded like. :roftl: They / we did well in the end. Most of us were singing only the choruses of some songs but not the verses, luckily, as it was really an acoustic performance - Mika did not even have a microphone. So the sound recorded must be good. As for the band members, Martin played the guitar on some songs, Cherisse was clapping and drumming on the piano as 'instructed' by Mika, iMMa was singing beautifully as usual and David did particularly well - helping Mika out on the piano and also singing great backing vocals.

it must be a very precious and priceless experience!

i really love the fact that Mika and his team are well beloved because of their genuine personalities and passion towards music.

and yes they are all very lovely and kind (not nice :mf_rosetinted:) people.

i've told my friend that one thing i really love about Mika is he really shows his feeling in front of you. if he's scared/ shy/ doesnt like sth, he does tell you - even u are only his fan.

some singers smile in front of the public/ their fans to keep positive images, and change their faces for the nxt minute when leaving. but Mika is not like this. he has a shining personality and does not hide his true feeling much.

which is the most attractive part of his (:

Edited by suisuimeko

Hi,

sounds like an amazing experience :teehee:

i get all :fangurl: by just reading about it

so a big thanks for sharing this :huglove:

Hi,

Priceless moments!!Thank you for sharing!!

Just to kill my curiosity: did you have time to stay with Mika and the band before or after the gig? Or they just played?