Stephen King(yes,THAT Stephen King loves MIKA!)

PurpleMonkey

Stephen King Ranks Year's Best Music

Photos

AP Photo

Thu Nov 29, 6:51 PM ET

Stephen King's taste in music is more eclectic than scary. The best-selling author reveals his seven picks for the "best albums of the year" in Entertainment Weekly's Dec. 7 issue.

"In truth, your Uncle Stevie was disappointed with this year's new music, very disappointed indeed, and his year-end list reflects that," King writes. "I could only find seven albums I wanted to mention ..."

His No. 1 pick is Steve Earle's "Washington Square Serenade," followed by Wilco's "Sky Blue Sky," Mika's "Life in Cartoon Motion" and Lyle Lovett and His Large Band's "It's Not Big It's Large."

Of Lovett's album, King says: "This is a terrific Texas swing album, but of course not everybody likes Texas swing (or even knows what it is). What makes it special is Lovett's vermouth-dry vocals and his equally dry wit."

King's fifth choice is Ozzy Osbourne's "Black Rain" "finest heavy metal record of the year; a true speaker-buster" followed by John Fogerty's "Revival" and Southern Culture on the Skids' "Countrypolitan Favorites."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a pigeonhole?

A pigeonhole, apart from being literally a hole for a pigeon, is also used to mean those boxes/shelves you can have your personal mail sorted into at work or college.

So, the term 'to pigeonhole someone' in terms of music has come to mean to assign an artist to a certain 'box' or stereotype, eg, Mika 'must' go in the box marked 'bubblegum pop'. Or James Blunt must be in the box marked 'singer-songwriter balladeer' and so on.

What I was getting at here was that Mika fans do not all necessarily like stuff from the same pigeonhole, and Mika's music itself is harder to pigeonhole than some people think.

A pigeonhole, apart from being literally a hole for a pigeon, is also used to mean those boxes/shelves you can have your personal mail sorted into at work or college.

So, the term 'to pigeonhole someone' in terms of music has come to mean to assign an artist to a certain 'box' or stereotype, eg, Mika 'must' go in the box marked 'bubblegum pop'. Or James Blunt must be in the box marked 'singer-songwriter balladeer' and so on.

What I was getting at here was that Mika fans do not all necessarily like stuff from the same pigeonhole, and Mika's music itself is harder to pigeonhole than some people think.

Thanks for the very clear explanation! :thumb_yello:

[/color]

my friend made me read one of his books- that was a very scary experience!:shocked:

Which book was it?

I once started reading a Stephing King book, forgot the title, in english. It was so groce I stopped and brought it back to the library. I will write about it in very light letters, if you want and dare to read it, just change the color...

It was about a couple who had rented a cabin in the mountains. It was winter so there were no other people in the aera. The started having bondage sex, she was tied to the bed and while he was on top of her he suddenly died...He was quite havy so she couldn't push him off...They stayed that way for a long time, after that she finally managed to throw him off the bed. But as she was still tied she couldn't do anything. After a couple of days a stray-dog came in the house and started eating from the dead man's body....:shocked: eeek.

That is where I stopped reading....

Stephen King has written some very scary stuff and some of the film adaptations of his work have been very good.

Carrie, The Shining, Misery, to name a few. And did anyone see that mini series "It", with the terrifying clown thing?????

Stephen should go and see Mika - I'm sure he'd like Gray Skelly :naughty:

Stephen King has written some very scary stuff and some of the film adaptations of his work have been very good.

Carrie, The Shining, Misery, to name a few. And did anyone see that mini series "It", with the terrifying clown thing?????

I have the Misery-book, read it over a lot. I have also seen the film, very thrilling. High tension.

Aside from his books, I've always admired Stephen King for his witty and topical editorials. I'm glad to see Mika feature in one of them. :biggrin2:

Oh and I know the book you were quoting in white AnnaMariaPetra - I haven't read it but my Dad has, he is a big Stephen King fan and he said it was the scariest book of his he'd ever read!:shocked:

I've read it. 'Disturbing' isn't strong enough a term to describe it. It's very well-written though.

I've read it. 'Disturbing' isn't strong enough a term to describe it. It's very well-written though.

Remind me of the title, if you would!!

And yes, he is very witty too and lots of his darkest stuff is also witty, or black humour. Maybe that's why he 'gets' Mika..? He can appreciate the darker elements in Mika's music.

yes, he is very witty too and lots of his darkest stuff is also witty, or black humour. Maybe that's why he 'gets' Mika..? He can appreciate the darker elements in Mika's music.

That's precisely what I was thinking. They both appreciate black humour. It's one of the reasons that I like them both.

Remind me of the title, if you would!!

The book is called "Gerald's Game".

That's precisely what I was thinking. They both appreciate black humour. It's one of the reasons that I like them both.

The book is called "Gerald's Game".

That's the one!! Thanks.

Yes I'd never really thought about the witty/sinister thing clearly before but thinking about it now, that's a major reason why I like Mika.

i have this weird clown thing, and IT was one of the scariest films iv ever watched:bleh: Lol

Oh yes, featuring Tim Curry :wub2: as the very scary clown!

I've loved Stephen King since almost his very beginning -- the first book I read

of his was Salem's Lot when I was about 15... Think I've read everything

since...

I subscribe to EW and it should be delivered in today's mail -- now I can't

wait to see it! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

:biggrin2: yeah! A real genius recognizes his peer:cool:

Geniuses, yes why not? And each of them in his own way!:thumb_yello:

And yes, he is very witty too and lots of his darkest stuff is also witty, or black humour. Maybe that's why he 'gets' Mika..? He can appreciate the darker elements in Mika's music.

Never seen that connection before but I find it really interesting.

Remember the movie The Shawshank Redemption.

Author: Steven King:thumb_yello:

Imo one of his best stories!