4/15/09 LA Surprise Show -- Non-MFC Reports

dcdeb

As you can imagine, there are suddenly a whole lot of blogs and newspapers covering Mika's LA show on April 15, and talking about he new music. Rather than start a thread for each one, since a lot of them say the same things and have the same photos over and over, it might be better to just list the links here. I'll start with the several I've seen so far:

Ice Cream Man Blog:

http://www.icecreamman.com/review/detail/mika-at-the-roxy

Popnography: The second coming of Mika

http://www.popnography.com/2009/04/the-second-coming-of-mika.html

Music is the Heart of Our Soul: New Music from Mika!

http://www.musicistheheartofoursoul.com/2009/04/new-music-from-mika.html

The Roxy Theatre: Missin' Mika:

http://theroxyonsunset.com/missin-mika/

If you find any others post them here! :thumb_yello:

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just saying did he actually say this:

"Thank you for coming to celebrate me...coming out," Mika declared last night at an intimate sneak peek of his second album. And then with a wink and a smile he finished his sentence properly: "Of retirement."

:roftl::roftl::roftl::roftl:WHY I LOVE MIKA SOOO SO SO MUCH:wub2::roftl:

This sorta deserves its own post :)

LA Times Blog:

Live: Mika would make a Muppet proud

02:05 PM PT, Apr 16 2009

MIKA__ Watching Mika perform live, one may get the impression that someone is raucously pulling strings behind the scenes. Mika’s spindly arms flailed in the air, moments before his hands quickly came together for some rapid-fire soul claps. His brown mop top constantly shook, and his thin-as-birch legs swayed behind his keyboard, leading the audience into playful chorus -- sometimes one about lollipops.

But make no mistake, Mika is not channeling a Muppet. Although Wednesday night’s sorta-secret show at the Roxy featured the Beruit-born, London-bred popster in a stripped-down acoustic set, Mika’s brand of candy-coated, piano pop is serious business. His 2007 debut album, "Life in Cartoon Motion," is said to have sold more than 5 million copies worldwide, earning him accolades ranging from Grammy nods to BRIT awards.

The intimate performance at the Roxy marked a back-to-basics setup for the 25-year-old. Just two acoustic guitarists and a drummer accompanied Mika as he helmed the keys. His soaring and stutter-stepping falsetto is the stuff of camp sing-a-longs, and his catchy hooks are like jazzy 1950s detergent jingles.

The audience bought what Mika was selling. Nearly every word and "tra-la-la" wafting from the classically trained vocalist sailed back at him from the singing crowd. His unequivocally unobjectionable hits such as “Grace Kelly” and “Lollipop” channeled the piano-glam of Elton John, Scissor Sisters and Freddie Mercury.

One audience member particularly enjoyed the show: Perez Hilton. The gossip blog titan organized the free gig and announced it the day before. “I wanted this to be a special event for fans,” Hilton said, “and some of the stuff he played is new material.”

The Hilton-sanctioned show preceded the release of Mika’s acoustic EP, which he has been recording in Los Angeles. Mika’s solo piano pieces even moved burlesque goddess and Hilton cohort Dita Von Teese, who broke from her stony-faced shtick to rhythmically nod her head. After all, Mika’s boyish stage presence and bouncing numbers break down the accouterments of the irony age, and resurrect that hidden joy of exuberant, Muppet love.

-- Drew Tewksbury

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/04/mika-makes-a-muppet-proud.html

Edited by dcdeb

I found it!:punk:

http://mzahra.blogg.se/

Translation from Swedish:

"Yes today it was time to get your self to the Sunset Boulevard for a little concert with Mika.

Americans are not at all like Europeans, people were mostly standing around quietly digging. No fourteen-year-olds crowding in the front with a lot of crap on their wrists. Instead there were Mexican chicks flown in, with wigs, which were rocking along.

The best part of the concert was the intro.

A stripper rode along with a little Spanish bullfighter music the same time she was pining on a fat ****ing plastic bull. The least you could say was that it was beautiful."

Under the last pic:

"Awsom! Yesterday I was talking Lebanese with Mika outside the Ice Cream car, cool."

On The Download: Mika Live In Los Angeles

Access Hollywood - April 16, 2009 3:05 PM PDT

By Anthony Ramos

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Imagine your favorite singer having a free show at an intimate venue -- sounds pretty awesome, right? Well, that's exactly what happened for me when British pop sensation Mika took the stage at The Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood on Wednesday night.

The delightfully outrageous performer said he "came out of retirement" to premiere new material from his upcoming second album, as well as a soon-to-be released acoustic LP.

In his first show of 2009, Mika ran onto the stage and opened the concert with "Grace Kelly," the first major US single from his 2007 album "Life in Cartoon Motion." After pleasing the crowd with a couple more familiar hits, Mika debuted his first new song of the night, "Good Gone Girl," and joked with the crowd about his fans wondering if it was "going to be crap." The catchy tune definitely was not "crap" and it made me look forward to the rest of his new collection of songs.

Up next was an extended version of "Stuck in the Middle," my favorite track from his first album, "Life in Cartoon Motion." The performance showcased his unstoppable vocal range, which covers several octaves. Sitting at the piano, Mika had the audience giggling when he forgot a line to the crowd favorite "Billy Brown." He quickly recovered and had the fans singing along with him in no time.

The second new song Mika premiered was the playful "Toyboy," where he told his fans, "We have to be quiet, because it's all about the words."

This new tune reminded me what a talented piano player and musician he is.

"Blame it on the Girls" was the third new song that Mika performed and by the end of the performance, he had the crowd singing and clapping to the chorus!

Mika appeared genuinely happy to have such loyal fans and took every chance to get the crowd involved. During his lively performance of "Love Today," he called on the audience to jump in the air with him. Later, the flamboyant performer surprised the crowd with an explosion of confetti during his colorful song "Lollipop."

For his encore, Mika gave the crowd a sneak peek at "Blue Eyes," another track from his upcoming record. After song requests, and even some marriage proposals, Mika returned to the song he started the show with. He told his fans that he wanted to perform "Grace Kelly" a second time because he said that that he wasn't going to be doing it as much on his next tour.

Mika didn't sing the disco hit "Relax (Take it Easy)," possibly because the song wouldn't have gone with the stripped down acoustic feel of the show. In fact, Mika revealed that he has a worldwide acoustic tour planned, which will return to the city of last night's show. "Los Angeles," he said to the excited crowd. "Los Angeles never disappoints."

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/on-the-download-mika-live-in-los-angeles/21398

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=61&title=mika_rocks_the_roxy_at_secret_l_a_show&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Mika Rocks The Roxy At "Secret" L.A. ShowBy Lyndsey ParkerPosted on 04/16/09 at 05:28:39 pm Last night, Mika played a secret free, all-ages, all-awesome show at the Roxy on L.A'.s Sunset Strip. And by "secret," I mean "promoted on Perez Hilton's blog" and "blasted to Mika's entire PR database by his publicist the day before."

But hey, secret or no secret , a chance to see Mika premiere old favorites plus yet-to-be-released new material in an intimate environment for his biggest fans (who actually collected their guaranteed-entry wristbands from an ice cream truck parked in Beverly Hills) was still a sweet treat.

Mika was especially sweet, literally, to devotees who'd journeyed all the way from Britain, and had been waiting outside the Roxy since 9am, to witness his first gig of 2009: He sent them hot cocoa to keep them warm in the "chilly" L.A. air during their daylong wait. (Yes, sometimes it does get cold in Los Angeles.)

But the atmosphere inside the Roxy was anything but chilly, as the Mika-heads welcomed their idol "out of retirement" extremely warmly, so much so that he played "Grace Kelly" twice. Just listen to all the deafening cheers and right-on-cue handclaps in the clips below, the middle three of which are brand-new songs: