Teen Vogue Magazine

People Are Talking About

Editor: Leigh Belz

CANDY MAN

Mika brings his sweet, colorfully hypnotic pop to the masses.

The atmosphere at Mika's first-ever New York City show was self-conciously carnival-esque. Concertgoers were greeted at the door with rainbow-colored glow sticks and bright blue-and-pink rosettes that bore the artist's name in big silber letters; once inside, the crowd was plied with circus-style treats like popcorn and cotton candy. But from the moment the 23-year-old pop singer took the cabaret theater's tiny stage, it was clear that all the sugar-coated extras were just that: icing on an already sweet cake. "Love, love me," Mika exhorted the crowd, employing his trademark exuberant falsetto. And they did, never mind that they'd only just met him.

"I was never really a part of a scene," the mono-monikered singer-songwriter admits later, via phone from Wales, where he's out promoting his debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion. Born in Beirut but raised in Paris and London, Mika had a peripatetic childhood, and he spent his teen years singing in operas and recording radio jingles. When he started performing his own sunshiny pop songs, he explains, "I was always rejected by the indie guitar groups because my music was too melody-based, and I was ignored by the record labels for a long time because they thought I was weird."

In fact, Mika's first single, "Grace Kelly," came about as a reaction to a meeting in which one music company suit suggested that the singer try to sound more like "other male solo artists who were popular in the U.K. at the time," like Robbie Williams or Craig David. "I was really fuming," Mika recalls. "i could be any kind of act if i wanted to pretend. But i know that's not going to lead anywhere, so I'll just be myself. It was a turning point for me, because I realized then that unless I did it my way, it would probably never happen at all." - LAUREN WATERMAN

This is so exciting! Mika in an american magazine!!! By the way, in this picture his blazer is Vivienne Westwood with a Burton Snowboards shirt under it and his he's wearing Blue Blood jeans. Photo by Jacob Sutton. On the 2nd page it shows captions by the pictures telling his favorite albums, Purple Rain (Prince), The White Album (The Beatles), and Odelay (Beck). It also says that "Mika cites Tony Millionaire as one of the best illustrators out there."

post-905-142983649466_thumb.jpg

post-905-142983649467_thumb.jpg

post-905-14298364947_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol people.. :roftl: on that pic he does.. His haur is just a bit lighter.. And not that big, but still curly! I'd wish i had gotten those curls.. *cuts of his hair*

Does this mean, that Mika has been "accepted" by US music industry..?? Something XD

Does this mean, that Mika has been "accepted" by US music industry..?? Something XD

Not the music industry, the teen magazines!

And that's what Im kinda worried... :blink:

But still...At least he'll get a lot of attention...

Good for Mika!!:thumb_yello:

Not the music industry, the teen magazines!

And that's what Im kinda worried... :blink:

But still...At least he'll get a lot of attention...

Good for Mika!!:thumb_yello:

Arg! Not teen magazines! Then he'll have small preteens sucking his ass everytime he does something.. I mean, little tweens being all like "I heart U, be my boyfriend..." stuff...

:roftl: