Live Your Life - lyrics and discussion

Thought it was time to have a thread about Live Your Life. :biggrin2: I love the song. :wub2: When I first heard it, i thought Mika sings about his own life as a pop star ("Anywhere you are is just like home to you"... etc.), but seems he's talking to another "you". :dunno:

Mika's first live performance of the song at Mawazine Festival:

[YOUTUBE]Ufg64V72F5g[/YOUTUBE]

San Miguel beer ad video clip:

[YOUTUBE]zFD7aU1_vb0[/YOUTUBE]

And thanks Deb for the lyrics:

You've got the whole world in your pocket

But you just don't know

Everybody's smilin' at you everywhere you go

It's like you've got that secret that

Everybody else wants to know

Anywhere you are is just like home to you

From the beaches of Manila

Down to Katmandu

Yeah you've got that secret that

Everybody else wants to know

But you won't ever let it go oh

Everybody wanna hold your hand

Everybody wanna shine that bright

Everybody wanna say they can

Everybody wanna live your life

Everybody wanna talk like you

Only wanna do the things you do

'Cause they know it's gonna turn out right

We take a whole room full of strangers

And we make them friends

We do it all around the world

Just so it never ends

It don't matter where we're coming from or going to

You're the only one that ever turns a grey sky blue

And everybody needs a friend like you

SOMOS CIUDADANOS DEL MUNDO, ASÍ

YO SIEMPRE A TU LADO Y TÚ JUNTO A MÍ

EL MUNDO ESTÁ EN TUS MANOS, NO LO SABES YA

COMO UN DIAMANTE SIEMPRE BRILLARÁ

Edited by dcdeb

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i wonder whether he wrote that song with the x-factor thing in mind. it obviously is about an admired person, like a pop star. the lyrics feel to me like the typical "motivation song" for candidates in a show like x-factor. :dunno:

i wonder whether he wrote that song with the x-factor thing in mind. it obviously is about an admired person, like a pop star. the lyrics feel to me like the typical "motivation song" for candidates in a show like x-factor. :dunno:

Yes ! I agree. Also, it's stupid but the lyrics make me think about Ariana Grande. Because she has a LOT of fans who would DIE to be her or to touch her. :roll1:

If it is the same song that some MFCers found out about in 2011 I'd say the two are unrelated. The words apply to Mika himself as well, don't they? Although I doubt he'd write it like that without including a more obvious sarcastic undertone.

If it is the same song that some MFCers found out about in 2011 I'd say the two are unrelated. The words apply to Mika himself as well, don't they? Although I doubt he'd write it like that without including a more obvious sarcastic undertone.

I think the words apply to Mika, in the same way that BIOTG seems semi-autobographical too. It's like seeing himself from the outside, as another person would.

I think the words apply to Mika, in the same way that BIOTG seems semi-autobographical too. It's like seeing himself from the outside, as another person would.

Agree. Specially about this line:

Everybody's smilin' at you everywhere you go :naughty:

And this one:

You're the only one that ever turns a grey sky blue :biggrin2:

And this one:

That's something I would write about him, but I doubt he'd write it about himself. :pinkbow:

And this one:

it always makes me laugh when i see fans around Mika...

everyone has this huge smile on their face & shiny eyes :naughty:

that part of the song can definitely be about him.

i doubt it has anything to do with X Factor

Yes, but BIOTG is not exactly a compliment to that kind of person, is it? LYL misses that kind of sharpness completely.

That's something I would write about him, but I doubt he'd write it about himself. :pinkbow:

Indeed, that would be worrying :mikacool:

I think it is a fun song. Catchy tune.

But....I am sorry to be a bit negative but okay: it is IMO an ESC-song. I don't know how to put it exactely but it is average, poppy. Not bad, but not very good either.

Perhaps I feel that way because it also bothers me a bit (or more than a bit:wink2:) that it is a song for a beer commercial. Guys, come on: Mika in a beer commercial...not what I expected.

But all in all I think I will be humming this tune quite often! :teehee:

But....I am sorry to be a bit negative but okay: it is IMO an ESC-song. I don't know how to put it exactely but it is average, poppy. Not bad, but not very good either.

Perhaps I feel that way because it also bothers me a bit (or more than a bit:wink2:) that it is a song for a beer commercial. Guys, come on: Mika in a beer commercial...not what I expected.

Totally agree - it's a happy and catchy song, not so much more than that:fisch: But it might be a hit - time will show, at least it gets a lot of promiton, finally - which is great ...

The lyric could fit a lot of stuff - and as I've said earlier, I'm not too happy that it's an adv for beer! :doh: MIKA is an idol, and I'd rather see him front more healthy stuff than beer, even San Miguel is very good tasting though - I have great memories from late nights in Barcelona - two years ago :aah:

Love,love

me

Golden words! The song is perfectly about him from the perspective of his fans.

I can't believe as well that he would write a song about himself like this. But I sincerely don't have another explanation! (Maybe he is a fan of someone too? :fisch: )

Btw, what I enjoy about this video, is the way how naturally the voices of Mika and the common people interlace and create more powerful and distinctive pop song.

And this one:

If it was about Mika, he'd have to turn a grey sky violet.

But Mika can turn they sky any colour he likes, as far as I'm concerned.

He's the best, and the song is wonderful!

If it was about Mika, he'd have to turn a grey sky violet.

But Mika can turn they sky any colour he likes, as far as I'm concerned.

He's the best, and the song is wonderful!

YES! MIKA is definite the best - nobody above, nobody by his side :wub2::fisch:

Love,love

me

The minute I heard the song, the lyrics and the perky beat reminded me of someone...

We all have someone in our life that just illumates the room the minute they step it. That is so kind and genuine that you can't help but want that person to be your friend.

I'm lucky enough to know a person like that, and some people here too.

Roxane (lilstar on MFC), your secret is out:thumb_yello::huglove:

I agree with you. It's very catchy and I love the melody of the verses. Just disappointed it's wasted on pretty empty not-very-Mika lyrics and a beer advert. As a beer advert though I think it's extremely good. I can imagine Coke using a song like this too in a worldwide campaign. It's definitely better than your average jingle.

At first I didn't like the idea of having Spanish lyrics during the bridge because it's one of the best parts but actually I like the Spanish. It's not foreign words in songs that I don't care for, it's foreign styles of music that I don't want to hear in Mika pop songs. EMD is basically an English pop song with French lyrics and this is the same.

As much as I love the Popular vid I don't like the song and didn't buy it but I'll buy this one when it's released.

Yes, I agree -- definitely better than the average commercial jingle, and I think it could be/should be a nice, light summery hit tune. :thumb_yello:

The minute I heard the song, the lyrics and the perky beat reminded me of someone...

We all have someone in our life that just illumates the room the minute they step it. That is so kind and genuine that you can't help but want that person to be your friend.

I'm lucky enough to know a person like that, and some people here too.

Roxane (lilstar on MFC), your secret is out:thumb_yello::huglove:

Awww, that's so sweet! Roxie, we love you! :wub2:

to me it's not a song for a beer commercial, but a song that is *used* in a beer commercial, that's a difference. happy ending was used in the pantene commercial, and i don't like it less because of that. :dunno: the fact that mika himself appears in the beer commercial is a different topic, but it doesn't make me like the song any less. of course it's poppy... but tbh, i like it a lot better than celebrate. if they did as much promo for LYL as they have done for celebrate, i'm sure it'd be a hit, maybe even in countries like germany and the uk. i'm sure celebrate used to be a good song when it still was china boy - but in the production process it was pressed into this "this has to be a hit single" scheme, and with that it lost its specialness. whereas i think live your life was written for the way how it was produced, if you know what i mean. it's special in a different way than other mika songs with deeper lyrics, but it IS special in its own way - that's what i missed about celebrate.

Edited by mellody