Transcript Bizarre Podcast 19.01.07

Cautionary Wife

Hi

This transcript is extract of Podcast - Mika talking to The Sun on Friday 19 Jan... I've sent a nice edit of the sound file to Sunny Monkey and you can get it here. Too big for me to upload on this section I think.

Enjoy the words - and happy Sunday.

CW

TRANSCRIPT

The Bizarre Podcast

19 January 2007

Transcribed by: Cautionary Wife

HAYLEY RADFORD:

Every January some poor chump gets labelled as the new Musical Messiah of the year and they spend the next eleven months buckling under the pressure. Just look at Corrine Bailey Rae. Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten already. Well for 2007 it’s Mika’s mug that’s all over the place. All we really know about the boy is that he was born in Beirut, has celebrities flocking to his gigs and sounds more than a little bit like Freddie Mercury.

BIZARRE grabbed 10 minutes with him at the end of a gruelling photo shoot.

MIKA:

My Dad is American, my Mum’s Lebanese. I was born in Beirut and then I grew up in Paris, but most of my life actually here in London and I make hyperactive pop music.

I started doing music from a really early age and it was actually at the age of 11, ‘cos I was having a bit of a hard time at school ‘cos I was this dyslexic kid who couldn’t really speak English that well and certainly couldn’t spell anything. I didn’t go to school for couple of months and during that time I started doing music really seriously. I had this terrifying Russian singing teacher, who used to torture me into practising. I was trained almost like an athelete. I had 2-hour lessons twice a week and I also had to train a couple of hours a day. Within a couple of months of doing that I started to get jobs in opera and then I ended up doing everything from in-flight music. It’s just ‘stuff’. I kept getting thrown jobs ‘cos I was really fast. It was good. It trained me at a really early age. I managed to sharpen my teeth on a lot of session work.

Fast-forward a couple of years – I ended up at the Royal College of Music, which I left about a year and a half ago in order to make this album, but I started writing songs from a really early age. Because of my dyslexia, I couldn’t really read any music. I still can’t. It’s all gibberish to me. I found that writing songs could be quite a powerful little tool, because the things that I used to get in trouble for saying to people’s faces, especially my teachers, and other people in my class, I could put into a song and get away with.

I took inspiration from absolutely everywhere. Bits of it from my own life and other things are, you know, from people around me, or things that have happened to friends of mine or just things that I see on television. I’m a bit of a trashy TV addict.

It’s a lot of transitional themes in the record because it’s a bit of a coming-of-age record. It’s an album I knew I’d only be able to make once, at point in my life where I was leaving school, leaving university, trying to kind of find my feet as a grown-up.

Ironically I’m acting much more like a child now than I ever had when I was about 16 years old.

I just spent the morning doing a photo shoot, where I was jumping around in bright blue trousers and an anorak and jumping into the air while they took pictures. The whole thing was so silly.

On Monday morning I was a Zoo Keeper at London Zoo, being filmed for a TV show. While they filmed me as I scrubbed the … er… penguin crap off the side of the walls. And – London Zoo have named a penguin after me. So rock ’n’ roll and I got to name the other baby and I called it Humphrey, even though it was a girl, because I think Humphrey’s a lovely name.

The funny thing about celebs is that they’re either too skinny or too short, but people even say that about me. They’re like – “Ohh, you’re too too tall and too skinny”, when they meet me in real life, but it’s true. I’ve never met a celeb who’s actually fits the body image that I had of them in my mind. That’s completely irrelevant, but I just thought I’d share that with you.

There are people who are starting to pop up and around. It’s quite fun. You know, when I was recording the album in Los Angeles, Beck, who I’m a huge fan of, just kind of showed up and I just didn’t recognise who he was for the first 25 minutes, because he had such a big beard on and I wasn’t used to that.

“The Feeling” have been really supportive. They keep popping along to my gigs and I, I opened for one of their shows. The’re a lot of people who’re into what I’m doing, but I think it’s, it gets a little bit cheesy once you start going, “Yeah, Victoria Beckham’s my best friend”, ‘cos she’s not. I’ve never met her, but, whatever. Yeah, I’m not, I’m not too into that.

I get a, a much bigger kick out of the fans that I have on-line, you know, and the messages that I get from them. Some of them are absolutely insane and hilarious and they really make me giggle.

• Like 1

I get a' date=' a much bigger kick out of the fans that I have on-line, you know, and the messages that I get from them. Some of them are absolutely insane and hilarious and they really make me giggle.[/quote']

I think this may apply to some of us!:roftl:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi

This transcript is extract of Podcast - Mika talking to The Sun on Friday 19 Jan... I've sent a nice edit of the sound file to Sunny Monkey and you can get it here. Too big for me to upload on this section I think.

Enjoy the words - and happy Sunday.

CW

TRANSCRIPT

The Bizarre Podcast

19 January 2007

Transcribed by: Cautionary Wife

HAYLEY RADFORD:

Every January some poor chump gets labelled as the new Musical Messiah of the year and they spend the next eleven months buckling under the pressure. Just look at Corrine Bailey Rae. Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten already. Well for 2007 it’s Mika’s mug that’s all over the place. All we really know about the boy is that he was born in Beirut, has celebrities flocking to his gigs and sounds more than a little bit like Freddie Mercury.

BIZARRE grabbed 10 minutes with him at the end of a gruelling photo shoot.

MIKA:

My Dad is American, my Mum’s Lebanese. I was born in Beirut and then I grew up in Paris, but most of my life actually here in London and I make hyperactive pop music.

I started doing music from a really early age and it was actually at the age of 11, ‘cos I was having a bit of a hard time at school ‘cos I was this dyslexic kid who couldn’t really speak English that well and certainly couldn’t spell anything. I didn’t go to school for couple of months and during that time I started doing music really seriously. I had this terrifying Russian singing teacher, who used to torture me into practising. I was trained almost like an athelete. I had 2-hour lessons twice a week and I also had to train a couple of hours a day. Within a couple of months of doing that I started to get jobs in opera and then I ended up doing everything from in-flight music. It’s just ‘stuff’. I kept getting thrown jobs ‘cos I was really fast. It was good. It trained me at a really early age. I managed to sharpen my teeth on a lot of session work.

Fast-forward a couple of years – I ended up at the Royal College of Music, which I left about a year and a half ago in order to make this album, but I started writing songs from a really early age. Because of my dyslexia, I couldn’t really read any music. I still can’t. It’s all gibberish to me. I found that writing songs could be quite a powerful little tool, because the things that I used to get in trouble for saying to people’s faces, especially my teachers, and other people in my class, I could put into a song and get away with.

I took inspiration from absolutely everywhere. Bits of it from my own life and other things are, you know, from people around me, or things that have happened to friends of mine or just things that I see on television. I’m a bit of a trashy TV addict.

It’s a lot of transitional themes in the record because it’s a bit of a coming-of-age record. It’s an album I knew I’d only be able to make once, at point in my life where I was leaving school, leaving university, trying to kind of find my feet as a grown-up.

Ironically I’m acting much more like a child now than I ever had when I was about 16 years old.

I just spent the morning doing a photo shoot, where I was jumping around in bright blue trousers and an anorak and jumping into the air while they took pictures. The whole thing was so silly.

On Monday morning I was a Zoo Keeper at London Zoo, being filmed for a TV show. While they filmed me as I scrubbed the … er… penguin crap off the side of the walls. And – London Zoo have named a penguin after me. So rock ’n’ roll and I got to name the other baby and I called it Humphrey, even though it was a girl, because I think Humphrey’s a lovely name.

The funny thing about celebs is that they’re either too skinny or too short, but people even say that about me. They’re like – “Ohh, you’re too too tall and too skinny”, when they meet me in real life, but it’s true. I’ve never met a celeb who’s actually fits the body image that I had of them in my mind. That’s completely irrelevant, but I just thought I’d share that with you.

There are people who are starting to pop up and around. It’s quite fun. You know, when I was recording the album in Los Angeles, Beck, who I’m a huge fan of, just kind of showed up and I just didn’t recognise who he was for the first 25 minutes, because he had such a big beard on and I wasn’t used to that.

“The Feeling” have been really supportive. They keep popping along to my gigs and I, I opened for one of their shows. The’re a lot of people who’re into what I’m doing, but I think it’s, it gets a little bit cheesy once you start going, “Yeah, Victoria Beckham’s my best friend”, ‘cos she’s not. I’ve never met her, but, whatever. Yeah, I’m not, I’m not too into that.

I get a, a much bigger kick out of the fans that I have on-line, you know, and the messages that I get from them. Some of them are absolutely insane and hilarious and they really make me giggle.

:D:roftl: interesting and hilarious as usual :wub2:

As the file doesn't seem to be in the downloads any more, I've found a direct link to download it: http://exodus.interoutemediaservices.com/dyn/98673a2d-2f56-41bd-9c83-c96c5e1fd451/download/id/default.aspx/biz41.mp3 (Mika is on for the first 10 minutes)

from here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/podcasts/bizarre/article29000.ece

Edited by mari62

Guess he talks about the video interview on Popworld at London Zoo :

which can be downloaded here: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=6

ohh thanks for posting those links :huglove: I'll check them out once I've had a good sleep i'm shattered as I only had 4 hours of sleep last night:boxed: loved the interview above (just managed to read it with my bleary eyes lol)

And this should be the photo shoot he's referring to.... maybe

Don't we have more pics from it?

sun1.jpg

1200165563-1.jpg

Thanks for posting Mari :thumb_yello: I've never seen the first one before..I've always loved the second one :original:

sun1.jpg

1200165563-1.jpg

Anyone else think that he's got a Kylie going on in these pics? Ie, looks like he's had Botox :roftl:

sun1.jpg

1200165563-1.jpg

this could be the photoshoot mentioned in the podcast:D

Hi

My fave quotes from the podcast! the first ones about the zoo and the photoshoot are hilarious:roftl: the last one about the fans is really sweet:wub2: