2007 -- Mika on German Vanity Fair Cover

titania

omg.. this interview is so hilarious!! :roftl: :roftl: especially when he says that thing about margarert thatcher and the part of the diabete :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

mika is great!!!

but i didn't understand everything:bleh: so if someone could translate it... please!

OK, my German is nowhere near as good as my Italian, but I was curious to get a better idea of the whole thing, so I cheated and used an online translator thing for some of this, but some words I just can't figure out...

But here's the gist of it:

Mika

"I want the rewind key for life"

Do not address this man on his clothes: The singer answers the questionnaire of VANITY FAIR ON-LINE

Mika is disturbed and briefly properly detuned? VANITY FAIR ON-LINE asked whether he seriously meant his outfit at his concert in Munich some days before: The usual tight trousers, which emphasize his particularly muscular legs so beautifully, this time in a painfully knalligen? red and a rust-brown sweatshirt with a multicolored drauf, a Farborgie specialsame (Original?). Now the "Grace Kelly" singer is hurt and the topic will again and again come up, while we [something] the questionnaire of VANITY FAIR ON-LINE ONE.

Vanity fair:

Are you vain?

Mika:

Obviously not vain enough, if I wear mismatching clothes. But I do not believe that I am excessively vain - everyone probably says that about themselves. By saying that, though, somehow I am already vain. So I would say: 60 per cent vain, 40 per cent not vain.

VF

How long do you need in the morning in the bath?

Mika

In the bath I am rather quick. But before my wardrobe I need forever, I have to match all the parts - however on normal days I need around five minutes. That is because of the fact that I always get up very late and therefore I'm always in a dreadful hurry.

VF

Who is the bestangezogene? (is this best dressed? or fittest? I can't quite

figure it out!) woman of the world?

Mika

Oh... Can I get a few suggestions?

VF

Madonna. Or Nicole Kidman. Or perhaps Victoria Beckham.

Mika

OK, with your suggestions, there can be only one answer: Margaret Thatcher.

VF

Who is the bestangezogene? man of the world?

Mika

Margaret Thatcher.

VF

With whom would you drink gladly a beer?

Mika

In no case and under no circumstances with Margret Thatcher!

VF

What was your largest Fashion Faux Pas?

Mika

A few days ago, I went in tight red trousers and a brown sweatshirt on the stage. I know now that that was a big crime. I am very ashamed for it. I feel bad and cannot sleep at night. But my school uniform was still much worse. I am no big fan of uniforms, but school uniforms are really the worst. I could have revolted at that time somewhat more strongly against them.

VF

Which song are you currently listening to?

Mika

"My Moon My Man" by Feist. The third song on their fantastic new album, which everyone must buy.

VF

Where would you like to live?

Mika

There there are some countries, but I would keep London in any case as my base, because it is simply the perfect city. And I would have to naturally select countries in which people are to some extent tolerant in matters of clothing. In Germany it seems there are some snobs who cannot accept it, if someone wears red trousers and a brown sweater.

• Like 2

VF

VF

bestangezogene is best dressed!:wink2:

seems as if he was a little miffed and gave it back to them by saying he wouldn't live there because there are snobs who say brown and red don't match or green and brown don't match, etc. :) good on ya, mika!

Mika is on the cover of German Vanity Fair, the interview is online here

http://www.vanityfair.de/articles/leute/ich-will-die-rueckspultaste-fuers-leben/2007/04/24/00608/

(Perez announced it on his site http://perezhilton.com/topics/mika/hello_deutschland_20070424.php:naughty:

(just went to listen to Feist's My man my moon - never heard of it before... oh I like )

*looooooooooooool* Hmmm, I like Mika's style!!! :wub2:

Sorry I was lost in the ether (and I hurried up soo much to share this with you) :sneaky2:

"I want the rewind key for my life"

Don’t ask the man about his clothes: The singer faces up to VANITY FAIR ONLINE’S questionnaire.

Mika is deranged and short time after also pretty annoyed. VANITY FAIR ONLINE just asked him if the stage outfit he wore during the Munich concert was meant business: Tight pants as usual, emphasizing his unmuscular legs, this time achingly bright red coloured and an auburn colourfully embroidered hood jumper – a real colour orgy. Now the “Grace Kelly” singer is pretty crestfallen and willing to bring up the topic which was originally well-meant again and again during our battle with the questionnaire.

Vanity Fair:

Are you vain?

Mika:

Obviously I’m not vain enough, I don’t even notice wearing inappropriate clothes, though. But I don’t think I’m outrageously vain – although probably everybody will claim to be so. Well, somehow I am vain. I’d say 60 percent vain, 40 percent not vain.

VF

How much time do you spend in the bathroom in the morning?

Mika

I’m quite quick in the bathroom. But it takes me ages in front of my closet. Finally I have to find the two pieces least fitting each other. – But on a normal day it takes me about five minutes. This is because I tend to get up very late and then am in a terrible hurry.

VF

Who’s the world’s best dressed woman?

Mika

Oh …can I get some suggestions?

VF

Let’s take Madonna. Or Nicole Kidman. Or maybe Victoria Beckham.

Mika

Well, considering your suggestions, there can be only one answer: Margret Thatcher.

VF

Who’s the world’s best dressed man?

Mika

Margret Thatcher.

VF

With whom would you like to go for a beer?

Mika

By no means with Margret Thatcher!

VF

What was your biggest Fashion-Faux Pas?

Mika

Some days ago I went on stage wearing tight red pants and a brown hood jumper. Now I know that was a severe crime. I’m very ashamed. I feel bad and I can’t sleep at night any more. But my school uniform was far worse. Basically I’m not a big fan of uniforms, but school uniforms are really the worst. Today I think I could have rebeled against them a little more resolutely then.

VF

Which song don’t you get out of your mind at the moment?

Mika

"My Moon My Man" by Feist. It is the third song on their fantastic new album which has to be bought by every human being on earth, please.

VF

Mika

There are several countries, but in any case I’d stick to London as my basis, because it is just the perfect city. And of course I had to chose those countries where the people are somewhat tolerant considering clothing questions. In Germany there’s supposed to be some snobs who can’t accept people wearing red pants and a brown hood jumper.

VF

What is your big weakness?

Mika

I have a weakness for colorful clothing, haven’t I mentioned that? Besides that I love Japanese designer toys. I collect everything I can grap and I spent a great deal too much money on it. And I collect illustration art, e.g. by the drawer Tony Millionaire. I spend hours on end on eBay and in Shops where you can buy the originals.

VF

What inspires you?

Mika

Reality.

VF

What comforts you?

Mika

Calmness.

VF

Do you have a recurring dream?

Mika

Yes. That means I will have one: I go on a stage, sing and jump around there and then everybody turns around, disgusted, because I combined red pants with a brown hood jumper. Then I will wake up.

VF

What is the best advice you ever got?

Mika

Listen to everything. An opera singer recommended me that and that didn't make me a musical snob.

VF

What ist he first you need after getting up in the morning?

Mika

Water. Waking up in the morning I’m always terribly thirsty.

VF

Do you possibly suffer from diabetes and don’t know it yet?

Mika

Great, now that’s a very motivating interview. A little while ago I was told that I don’t have any taste, and now I have diabetes. What’s next? Will we all die tomorrow?

VF

What would you do if we all were to die tomorrow?

Mika

Okay, you’re beginning to please me again. Despite that I would like to make sure that you’ll have your ass on the line first.

VF

Do you have a favourite bar?

Mika

No more. I had one in London but somehow we have drifted apart. It’s hard to find a pleasant place to drink in England though, maybe I should move to France. Or to Germany, you seem to have a good bar culture here.

VF

Your favourite soccer club?

Mika

I don’t have the slightest idea, that’s not my world. I don’t have time for those things because I spend the whole day dressing as unfavourably as possible and thinking about what to do if I have diabetes.

VF

Your favourite drink?

Mika

Fruit tea.

VF

How do you dance?

Mika

I dance terribly bad, but with a certain meaning. It may seem like free dance. It might not look very nice but it comes from the heart.

VF

What are you afraid of?

Mika

Diabetes. Terribly afraid. And I’m afraid of very very big mouthed and opinion obsessed journalists.

VF

What have you done really well?

Mika

My album. I think it’s really good.

VF

What have you messed up?

Mika

A lot… such a lot that I can’t think of anything. That has to mean that I’m perfect. Yippee. I’m perfect!

VF

What should be invented?

Mika

A machine that warns me whenever I try to put on non fitting clothes. And a rewind key for life, so that I can experience certain situations as often as I want.

VF

For example?

Mika

E.g. that concert where I performed wearing red pants and a brown hood jumper. I can’t experience that often enough.

VF

What would you want to never again?

Mika

The question: „Why did you write Grace Kelly?“

VF

Why did you write Grac…

Mika

Stop it!

VF

Okay. In five years you are...

Mika

... hopefully through my second album.

ms

*sigh - again a stupid journalist! But Mika did it perfectly well :bleh: , I would have done the same LOL*

• Like 1

OK, my German is nowhere near as good as my Italian, but I was curious to get a better idea of the whole thing, so I cheated and used an online translator thing for some of this, but some words I just can't figure out...

But here's the gist of it:

Mika

"I want the rewind key for life"

Do not address this man on his clothes: The singer answers the questionnaire of VANITY FAIR ON-LINE

Mika is disturbed and briefly properly detuned? VANITY FAIR ON-LINE asked whether he seriously meant his outfit at his concert in Munich some days before: The usual tight trousers, which emphasize his particularly muscular legs so beautifully, this time in a painfully knalligen? red and a rust-brown sweatshirt with a multicolored drauf, a Farborgie specialsame (Original?). Now the "Grace Kelly" singer is hurt and the topic will again and again come up, while we [something] the questionnaire of VANITY FAIR ON-LINE ONE.

Vanity fair:

Are you vain?

Mika:

Obviously not vain enough, if I wear mismatching clothes. But I do not believe that I am excessively vain - everyone probably says that about themselves. By saying that, though, somehow I am already vain. So I would say: 60 per cent vain, 40 per cent not vain.

VF

How long do you need in the morning in the bath?

Mika

In the bath I am rather quick. But before my wardrobe I need forever, I have to match all the parts - however on normal days I need around five minutes. That is because of the fact that I always get up very late and therefore I'm always in a dreadful hurry.

VF

Mika

Oh... Can I get a few suggestions?

VF

Madonna. Or Nicole Kidman. Or perhaps Victoria Beckham.

Mika

OK, with your suggestions, there can be only one answer: Margaret Thatcher.

VF

Mika

Margaret Thatcher.

VF

With whom would you drink gladly a beer?

Mika

In no case and under no circumstances with Margret Thatcher!

VF

What was your largest Fashion Faux Pas?

Mika

A few days ago, I went in tight red trousers and a brown sweatshirt on the stage. I know now that that was a big crime. I am very ashamed for it. I feel bad and cannot sleep at night. But my school uniform was still much worse. I am no big fan of uniforms, but school uniforms are really the worst. I could have revolted at that time somewhat more strongly against them.

VF

Which song are you currently listening to?

Mika

"My Moon My Man" by Feist. The third song on their fantastic new album, which everyone must buy.

VF

Mika

There there are some countries, but I would keep London in any case as my base, because it is simply the perfect city. And I would have to naturally select countries in which people are to some extent tolerant in matters of clothing. In Germany it seems there are some snobs who cannot accept it, if someone wears red trousers and a brown sweater.

thx so much, deb! lovely interview! some answers were rather funny. :biggrin2:

Sooooo...pleased I wasn't there I would have cracked up laughing!! MIKA always seems to get people back if they ask him stupid questions or he knows they have already said something **** about him. Just wonder if he kept a straight face all the way through!! xx

this interview dosn't sound much like him I think. still loved it though! the way he makes fun of the interviewer and the way he shows him that his questions are stupid

:roftl:

this totally reminds me of a guy I know... and have been in love with once. he speaks in the same way lol

Thanks for posting the rest of the article's translation, violet sky! It was quite a long one :)

After this one and the Italian article today, too, I wonder what it must be like to read an interview you've done in a foreign language? I mean, I'm sure it's bad enough to be misquoted or misrepresented when there's no translation involved, but in these, he had to be translated from English to either Italian or German, and then back into English again -- it makes you wonder what was lost in the translations?

Still I loved this interview -- It sounds like he was having a bit of fun at the writer's expense, but that perhaps the writer was OK with that...

dcdeb

VF

What is the best advice you ever got?

Mika

Listen to everything. An opera singer recommended me that and that made me a musical snob.

very good translation! :original: just this little thing, in this part he said "that didn't make me a musical snob."

i love this interview, it's so funny! :roftl: i also liked the questions, but of course not the introduction, where the writer is so snobbish. well, but i guess that's common for people at fashion magazines :thumbdown: (has anyone read/seen "the devil wears prada"? :wink2: ).

And a rewind button for life, so that I can experience certain situations as often as I want.

VF

For example?

Mika

E.g. that concert where I performed wearing red pants and a brown hood jumper. I can’t experience that often enough.

ohhh yessss, neither can i!!!!!!! :wub2: MIKA, LET'S RELIVE THE MUNICH CONCERT TOGETHER!! :wink2:

IMG_1231.jpg