BBC Radio 1 Review

meimei88

Radio review

Tuesday May 8, 2007

The Guardian

The Big Weekend Takeover on Radio 1, in which bands and performers replaced the usual weekday line-up yesterday, once again reminded us that making good radio isn't anywhere near as easy as it sounds.

The Kaiser Chiefs, or at least Ricky and Nick from the band, filled in for Jo Whiley. They opted for an on-air shambles, complete with errors (it wasn't "the hairy cornflake" who used to do Our Tune); nattering over the start of tracks; features that didn't even begin to work (no celebrities called for their celebrity phone-in, only a weak Sharon Osbourne impersonator); plugs for a friend's antique shop; and nasty asides about the music of some fellow bank-holiday stand-ins ("close your ears, it's Natasha Bedingfield").

They were, in their predictable rock'n'roll way, at least more likable than Mika, who followed them. Taking the notion of self-promotion rather too far (he played three of his own tracks in an hour), and blessed with an annoying entourage, the broadcast proved that a little bit of Mika goes a very long way.

:blink::thumbdown: I loved that the whole gang were there!!... boo to The Guardian!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't like him picking on Cherrise. poor girlie with all of those nasty boys.

Must admit it would have been lousy without the band!

Personally I think MIKA should stick with being a musician as his humour doesn't come across well on radio. It will have been only the fans from the beginning that really know what the Freddie Mercury piano and Jade Goody references meant. It made him sound pompous when we know hes not like that.

The fact he played his own tracks good on him I say! He didn't need Perez or Lollipop girl to help out. In fact it was Lollipop girl that was the annoying part of the whole show (and shes the best cartoon!)

At least it sounded as though MIKA had fun and thats all that counts plus his hour went so fast unlike the Chiefs that dragged on.

On the scale of 1-10, I would give MIKA 7-Good but could try a little harder when being a DJ! Stop selling yourself theres no need to now and the audience will loveya even more! xx

Radio review

They were, in their predictable rock'n'roll way, at least more likable than Mika, who followed them. Taking the notion of self-promotion rather too far (he played three of his own tracks in an hour), and blessed with an annoying entourage, the broadcast proved that a little bit of Mika goes a very long way.

:blink::thumbdown: I loved that the whole gang were there!!... boo to The Guardian!

Altough I haven't heared that one myself I don't think that three songs would be that big of deal to whine about

PFFFFT! Utter TWADDLE!!!

I loved him on Radio 1!

The thing with his humour is that it's very unique. My best mate Charlie and I are exactly the same - we have inside jokes that no-one gets. Probably another reason why we got bullied - we were different, we didn't fit in with everyone else, we found small, stupid things funny.

Same with our man...loads of people obviously don't get him.

And the whole Cherisse thing, it was all a laugh - he didn't mean any of it! She clearly understood that because she was playing along. Come on guys we know not to take him that seriously lol!

And the whole Freddie's piano thing - I think he was being sarcastic. Remember that speculation about him shipping Freddie's piano to somewhere and using it or something? And he said it wasn't true? Yeah, I think he was taking the mick LOL

Rant over :)

I loved the radio thing i thought Mika was laugh out loud funny and true lollipop girl was annoying but i could listing to the whole thing again and what are they talking about "a litttle bit of mika goes a long way" you can never have too much Mika it's not possible.

Radio review

Taking the notion of self-promotion rather too far (he played three of his own tracks in an hour), and blessed with an annoying entourage, the broadcast proved that a little bit of Mika goes a very long way.

Can't confirm that, really. I think he was great, he sounded as if he'd never done anything else. I was glued to my seat with my headphones on, happy to be able to listen online from abroad... I only would have wished a little more talking although I really liked the music. And pace Guardian and the people who write for it, but I think you can't really blame Mika for playing his own songs. In the end this is what we expected, isn't it? If Mika is announced they have to offer Mika! :wink2:

My thought when I heard the radio show was that it sounded like something we did at radio school while being drunk :naughty: I personally like to listen to that, but a lot of people don't, we also got a lot of complaints when we made shows like that :naughty:

I am usually quite critical but I enjoyed this show a lot. It was funny and if I hadn't known who he was I would have thought he was a professional DJ. He is a born entertainer and is getting more and more used to this role. I can't wait to see him live

"Must admit it would have been lousy without the band!

Personally I think MIKA should stick with being a musician as his humour doesn't come across well on radio. It will have been only the fans from the beginning that really know what the Freddie Mercury piano and Jade Goody references meant. It made him sound pompous when we know hes not like that."

Can anyone tell me if there was any particular reason why he mentioned Jade Goody on his show? I think she is simply dumb but maybe you know more than I do....

Thanks

Can anyone tell me if there was any particular reason why he mentioned Jade Goody on his show? I think she is simply dumb but maybe you know more than I do....

Thanks

probably just a fun dig at her or something lol

I thought he was good, def made me laugh and he actually only played 2 of his songs Guardian!!! jees make him sound like he's so big-headed but he's only messing around, having abit of fun.

he did just play 2 of his songs didn't he? lollipop and love today?

I didn't like it... I guess not everybody can be a DJ on radio ! And God !! He could have left Lollypop Girl where she was... And i know he has a weird humour, i understand it, but i just think that show wasn't really funny...

I am usually quite critical but I enjoyed this show a lot. It was funny and if I hadn't known who he was I would have thought he was a professional DJ. He is a born entertainer and is getting more and more used to this role. I can't wait to see him live

Exactly what I think! I enjoyed the show and if I remember it right, he didn't play three of his songs. He only played Love Today and Lollipop, nothing more.

Yes where did they get that third song of his from?

He mentioned 'Big Girl' before he played The Gossip's record (hmm, a little predictable Mika :naughty:) The reviewer obviously wasn't paying attention.

I actually forgot that he made fun of Jade Goody- I don't think that was nice kind or funny in any way. Mika should know better then to poke fun at somebody else's expense- he himself was a victim once. Does anyone know if Mika has met Jade Goody or if she has said something about him to provoke this kind of treatment from Mika?

"Why does anyone want to be like Jade Goody?" Sunday Herald-03/02/07