he's just a person

humpfree

so i met mika last saturday. and i didnt talk to him much...i was in shock.... but i've thought abiout it a lot... and i feel so bad for him. i mean he's so talented and such a nice person. but he has all these people that worship him and there's a lot of...baggage that goes with that. he's away from his home for months at a time. he's doing shows when he's sick. he's signing autographs and posing for pictures hours after his shows. and he's traveling to all these amazing places...but he doesnt get to see them...as just a normal person. he doesnt get to just go and hang out. he's a popstar. people recognize him (i imagine) everywhere he goes. he gets harrassed a lot.. its sad...

but at least he gets to do what he loves to do. idk where i'm going with this..... lol

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You make some good points. When I met him, I made for darn sure that I didn't freak out or do anything weird. I wanted to make sure that he knew I am a fan, but that I am not crazy. I'm glad that I held my cool, even though inside I was really overwhelmed. :)

ya. i've heard that he has a chest infection.

and i just think about how i hate doing things when i'm sick or not feeling well...and how much he does.. its so sad. and he's always touring too. he's a major popstar in many different countries. he has a lot of fans in a lot of places dying for him to be there.

Everyone who is focused on a lucrative career has to go through something similar at this stage of their life. Imagine if he was a top lawyer or a doctor. He'd be busting his ass 18 hours a day for a decade.

At least Mika will have a lot of freedom in a few years if all his work pays off. Right now he has to get out there and sell himself by doing a bazillion interviews and he's trying to support the album virtually simultaneously across the world. That won't be necessary once he's established and things can be planned out in a more linear fashion.

I don't know that he's being harassed everywhere he goes either. I'm sure 99% of Americans wouldn't know him if he knocked on their door and invited himself in. And I think even in London he could carry on with a fair amount of anonymity. Remember those girls who didn't recognize him when he was singing and they were dancing to his music?

Not saying it's all wonderful and easy, but he seems very determined that this is what he wants to do with his life and he's succeeding so everyone should feel happy for him.

good point

he does alot, and most of it is to please us as his fans

i have to say i havent met him, im almost dying over here in new zealand waiting for him to come,but look, i would rather he come after he had had some me time, some mika time just to himself,and his family! like you said hes only human and if he doesnt slow doen hes going to burn out! and none of us want that!

if when i do meet him and he looks exausted i will step aside and tell him he needs to go have a break if i need to! hes a people person who will sacrifice his own health to please others. i know the type well

he could come to new zealand and remain anonimous, as even tom cruse has walked down the street without security here and nobody went up to him. ok so there were a few hey is that tom cruse said to each other but nobody went up to him, because he desurves his space! we all do! but i think that mika enjoys being in his fans company! it sure appears that way!

I've wondered what it must be like to be in Mika's shoes, going from studying music in London to all this crazy madness. And all the travelling has to be so draining! Sitting in an airplane takes a lot out of 'ya.

However, I get the impression that while he might be tired and a bit run down, maybe even a bit overwhelmed, he knew what he was getting into, and I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't trade it to go back to his pre-LICM life. He's been sort of the captain of his own success - he made the demos, he went to the States, he got a record deal. He comes across as being very much in control. Compare that to Britney Spears, for example - she was what, 16 when her first album came out? Polished and shined and moulded by the industry..I highly doubt she had any control over her first year of fame.

We love you Mika!

(I just realized this is my second Britney Spears reference on this forum...y'all are gonna think I'm obsessed with her :roftl: )

Oh and I just have to say - look at his expression in the concert videos where you see him point the microphone at the audience, and he hears them sing his songs back at him. He looks positively elated!

i'd like to think if Mika had the choice between what he is doing and anything else, he'd choose what he is currently doing.

i just hope he's still living 'his dream' and enjoying it. your only a young twenty-something for a short period of you life, i hope he's not missing out!

im pretty sure if you asked him if he rather be sitting at a desk or traveling the world doing what he loves, and being with his fans, Im pretty sure i know which one he would choose

mika looks relaxed in the company of his fans, i think he enjoys our company!

HEHEHE. thanks for all your posts. its really interesting to see everyone's opinion. i do agree with most of you.

i mean he knew what he was getting into, he has control, blah blah blah. but still. even if he was doing something else...being a lawyer or anything like that. he wouldn't be traveling this much and he would still get to see his family a lot and sleep at home.

i agree that that kinda stuff comes with the job, and its an amazing job. he's making a difference. he's making people happy. he's giving people a reason to live [me. hahahhahaha. lol ]. he's an amazing guy [from what i know about him]. i just feel bad that he can't do things like a regular person....i feel this for all celebs. that there is always someone that wants to be their best friend for fame. someone that wants an autograph/pic. and the paparazzi wanting pictures and dirt on them. etc. its just sad that they....dont get privacy....

yes I do feel bad for him...

but this is the life he decided to lead so we have to support him...

belive me he's gonna take a really long break after he tries to break into America alittle more...he is very determined

p.s: I felt the same way after I met him...he still had so many ppl's autographs to sign, he just came back from a photoshot and was going back to London the next day...poor guy :crybaby:

BUT LOOK...AT LEAST HE'S KEEPING IT TOGETHER...(LOOK AT LILY ALLEN, AMY WINEHOUSE AND LADY SOV...)

I've wondered what it must be like to be in Mika's shoes, going from studying music in London to all this crazy madness. And all the travelling has to be so draining! Sitting in an airplane takes a lot out of 'ya.

I know a lot of it is PR hype, but I think there's some truth to the media's observation that Mika appears as if he's been preparing his whole life for this. He's barely been living an average life up to this point.

Didn't he spend one Christmas in India with what sounded like an entourage not unlike his current one? I would imagine he's done a lot of travelling before this with family from the Middle East to the US. He's already lived in more places than many people have visited in their lives.

Even the whole studying music in London is pretty extraordinary. I used to work in Beit Quad at Imperial College which is right next to the Royal College of Music and when the weather was warm and the windows open, I could hear them practicing. At first I thought it was coming from the Royal Albert Hall on my other side because it was sounded so professional, but when I heard it regularly I realized it was coming from the College.

I keep getting comments on YouTube about his performance on Jay Leno, claiming he's lip synching. I'm like GMAB! With his training there's no way he would need or want to fake it. They can't believe anyone is so good that they can replicate their studio sound live. It's unfortunate that a whole generation has been exposed to the likes of Britney Spears instead of real musicians.

even if he was doing something else...being a lawyer or anything like that. he wouldn't be traveling this much and he would still get to see his family a lot and sleep at home.

I think his dad very much lived that kind of life travelling all the time. Doesn't he take his mom and sister and a few friends just about everywhere with him?

I felt really bad for Paolo Nutini when he said that he spends months at a time surrounded entirely by people who don't know him and he was clearly homesick.

I'm just not getting that impression from Mika, especially when he's got all his peeps around and the US isn't that foreign to him since half his family is American.

It sucks that he's so wiped out after the shows since it's probably 5 am in London, but from the fan reports it sounds like he really enjoys interacting with everyone.

You make some good points. When I met him, I made for darn sure that I didn't freak out or do anything weird. I wanted to make sure that he knew I am a fan, but that I am not crazy. I'm glad that I held my cool, even though inside I was really overwhelmed. :)

I saw him Tuesday night in DC and he was fabulous. A mother of 2 small children my friends and family thought we were crazy to drive down and see him. SOOOOO glad we did...he's something special. I felt like I was witnessing history in the making. It'll definately be something to remember and funny...my little 8 year old kept calling my cell during the concert (I was in the back) I thought something might be wrong with her and wondered why it wasn't her father...she was just trying to "listen in"...she loves him too and was mad I hadn't taken her with me. Just a person yes, but a very talented one at that. I hope he comes back to the States in a bigger venue with seats to take my girls with me to. The 9:30 club would've been tough...but it WAS AMAZING! Very diverse crowd and too much fun!

I totally agree with you! It's so nice that Mika can relate to so many different kinds of people that are various ages! I hope you get the chance to take your kids next time, too! I am sure they would love it.

Oh, and welcome to the MFC. :)

This is a thought in progress... still not very good at organizing my ideas...

I don't think anyone can ever predict and anticipate exactly what difficulties one will encounter once started on the particular route they may think they have chosen...and prophesy is not usually guaranteed.

In any field, particularly the arts, the artists are always at the mercy of people far more interested in burocratic, financial aspects and the artists in turn are merely seen as commodities. This makes for a very ugly and painful climate and generally dehumanizes the individual . I suppose my point is no one can fully appreciate the world they will be entering until actually in it (however much warning, preparation was done ).

On a side note, awareness and frustration by the artist with this particular side of human nature is what has historically brought about changes in various cultural traditions (attitude towards the individual, an artist's artistic liberties for example)... changes previously thought impossible and even sacriligious .

I may delete this later on...

whhhhahaaatatt???

ok i'm going to cahgne the subject for a second....cause i have to vent.

i hate it how some people have been to like 5-10 mika shows...and then some people {dare i say the REAL fans} havent been able to see one...

and then the people that have met him a thousand times and have a bajillion pics with him that they flaunt everywhere...and then people that havent even been able to see him in concert....

i just hate it. life is not fair...and its not fair :sneaky2:

omg...just read this!!!

this is exactly what i did...I WANTED TO ATTACK THE MAN!!! (but I kept my cool :cool:)

When I went up to him...I took a deep breath and said...

...no I'm not kiddin...

"Hey Mika...hows it going!"

When I really wanted to say

"KDHASJOHSKJHAFDSKGFKGFKHSHSFKJ I WANT UR BABIES!!! WSKHKDFHASKHDGHGSJDG" *faint

CKG...

LOL!!!!...You know, since my boyfriend was standing RIGHT BESIDE ME...it was going to be a lil awkward if I said what I truly think of Mika. *ahem* I can only imagine what would have come out of my mouth!

Something that would come out of your mouth:

obviously something that would make your boyfriend uncomfortable lolololo

There are certainly SOME CRAZY FANS...:fisch:

alot of people were crying...

I was like, why??

This is this guys first album...he's not really a HUGE STAR...yet

I'd probally cry if I met Bono or something, afterward...I know alot of people don't like him but U2's music means alot to me...I don't know...me and my Dad bonded through U2's music...

I'd probally say something stupid like "BONO BRING BACK THE LEMON..."

I am random

edit: IF FREDDIE MERCURY WAS STILL AROUND AND I MET HIM...omg, I would faint no joke

LOL!!!! You are random, but that's why you a freaking awesome!!

I don't quite get the crying fans either....I guess I'm just more so a fan that gets super excited and not emotional. Everyone keeps telling me I was so cool when I met Mika and really I was trying not to look completely stupid...rotfl

Now Freddie...he's a diff story. I'd probably cry, but that may be because he's been dead for 10+ years.... I can't imagine what you'd do if you met Bono....LOL...but I'd pay to see it!

If I met Bono...damn...I don't really know. (you wouldn't want to pay to c it because it would b pathetic) I wouldn't really say anything...I'd be in shock...probally like "Thanks"

:tears:

Because it is personal I guess...U2 did a show after 9/11...my Dad was a cop, he was all messed up because of it...but they did a tribute for all the firemen and police officers in November...my Dad was a fan before that, but really gained a new respect for them...including myself

But yes...I am quite random!!! :roll1: AND ITS ALL GUD