OUT article

Sity

Silly Cyp. You know they are often concerned with questions of sexuality as opposed to necessarily questioning someone's sexuality.

Oh, well I hope so. That would make a big difference. I have to say the writer of this article used the examples of other singers rather well to describe the dilemmas of coming out (or not) in the music industry, though, as I said, the question of when 'coyness' becomes 'subversive' would've been really interesting.

It's all about informing someone about a subject they like ofcourse. I'm not reading a gay magazine, but I have friends who happen to be gay and do read them, while they look kinda strange at me when I'm reading a girls magazine. Got my point.

Ja, okay. Perhaps I ought've asked, 'What slant do they take?' :wink2:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, well I hope so. That would make a big difference. I have to say the writer of this article used the examples of other singers rather well to describe the dilemmas of coming out (or not) in the music industry, though, as I said, the question of when 'coyness' becomes 'subversive' would've been really interesting.

Ja, okay. Perhaps I ought've asked, 'What slant do they take?' :wink2:

Yeah I understand you. But a lot of magazines write rubbish these days. Look at all the 'Glossies' and 'Tabloids' who keep having headlines like: "Brad and Angelina, They're DONE" and their article will be something like:

It is said that Angelina and Brad are definately over. A close source to the couple has said: "Brad couldn't stand the fact that Angelina had to use so much lipgloss for her big lips, it really annoyed him." What's going to happen with their little baby girl Shiloh is still unknown yet Angelina's best friend Jessica Parker has mentioned "Angelina insisted that Shiloh and all the other kids will stay with her and she will fight for this!" We keep you updated

Side notes: The 'source' is a 40 year old man who is a journalist and still lives with his mother and Jessica Parker doesn't exist.

Next Issue

ANGELINA AND BRAD, HAPPY TOGETHER AGAIN

The two lovebirds are back together. Close sources to the couple had said: "They've talked about their rows and decided it was best to try it once again. Brad allowed Angelina to get a deal with Lippy Lipglosses and Angelina said that Brad could have half of Shiloh when they would split up," We're happy for them, to be continued?

All rubbish. Perhaps it's not relevant to the Out magazine article, but I felt like making up a story:biggrin2:

Wow! I knew they'd bring up his sexuality at some point, but it's pretty much the bulk of the article.

I don't like how they get other people's opinions on Mika's decision, because it's not their business. What do I care about what people like Perez Hilton and Patrick Wolf have to say regarding Mika's private life? :thumbdown:

I feel like they see Mika as a specimen in a clinical study, rather than an individual artist and human being.

Christine: It's gone beyond idle curiosity regarding who he is or isn't sleeping with. Now they want to know why he hasn't publicly come out. Does he really just want it to remain private simply for privacy's sake? etc…

Of course, I hope (and suspect) he is keeping his private life private because he wants to. But then, owing to his ridiculously compact schedule, I'm not convinced he has a private life at the moment. Infuriatingly, he might face just as keen a media gaze in his time off, when he's supposed to be, well, 'having fun'. That's when the invasiveness will probably begin to grate. And at some point there will inevitably be tabloid stories of some sort—he's far too handsome to go single for long, right?

So yeah, it's a question we're stuck with, and it will be interesting to see how Mika deals with it as various allegations crop up. The professional response would the one he's giving at the moment ('My private life is private', etc.) But he will do well to keep people curious about his orientation for ten years. Most people will make their minds up quickly if they haven't done already.* On the other hand, even if Mika were to say he was straight/gay/whatever, there's still media attention to be had in who celebs are f###ing. He's in a lose-lose situation.

IngievV, I've been trying to avoid news on Brad and Angelina's relationship for as long as I can remember because it was so drawn out and mind-numbing. But you've saved me there from trawling through at least six months of gossip columns. Thanks. ;-)

* and I should say this speculation is partly fuelled by Mika himself in various songs.

On the other hand, even if Mika were to say he was straight/gay/whatever, there's still media attention to be had in who celebs are f###ing. He's in a lose-lose situation.

It is, but the ambiguity is compounding the problem. It is going to lead to excessive interest in finding out who is he is banging since the identity of that person will give some indication as to whether he is gay or straight.

There are ways to keep your private life private if you're in the spotlight. Don't knock up several women at a time, don't fly to Africa to shop for a new baby, don't hook up with media whores, don't get trashed and hurl racial epithets at people, don't solicit BJs from streetwalkers while your supermodel girlfriend is at home, etc.

Unfortunately all this coy behaviour is not going to provide Mika with any real privacy in the long run because it is bringing undue attention and interest in his orientation, and by extension, his sex life. An interest I'm not so sure would have been there otherwise.

I mean if his story was that he was openly gay or straight (whatever the case may be) and he still lives in his parents' house and he travels with his mom and sister and he's gigging all the time so dating is out of the question...would all these questions and speculation about his private life be coming up in every interview?

“As far as I’m concerned,†Mika declares, “the most important thing is what is in my songs and the music itself."

To me this is the most important statement in the whole article...

I think it's a good article!

And I'm sorry, but I kinda have to laugh at all the peope who are going "why do they always have to talk about his sexuality, waaaah?" when the magazine in question here is OUT. If he'd agreed to be on the cover of, I dunno, Dog Lovers International, that would be another thing, but with OUT, that's kind of the point of the whole thing, don't you think?

I don't think Mika is shocked that they'd talk about his sexuality--he didn't walk into their office and go, "Oh my god, you want to talk about what?" I think they treated the subject with restraint and respect, considering.

--Jack

I was actually looking for someone to agree with me - I had a feeling it would be you JACKVIOLET!

Thanks for stating that my rainbow radio. Mika is a brilliant artist...period. There is nothing that will change how I feel. If it did, than I would not be a true fan. There is so much friction everywhere, and this is an understatement. Why can't people accept everyone's beliefs, no matter what the issue?!!

Thank you for sharing the article from "OUT". It is a very long one, huh? Personally I love it that he is on the cover of "Out" but doesn't want to talk about his sexuality. I don't think it is coyness or thinking about his career....I think he is really a private person, and rather young. I would love it if he were on the cover of International Dog Magazine and refused to talk about his dogs to keep their lives personal too. The magazines don't really care...they just want to sell their mags. We don't care, we just want to hear about Mika (maybe see some pics). And the people that do care, must have some serious problems, I think, but they do exist and I'm afraid that they will always be around.

I guess it is one thing that I really love about Mika, both in the music he creates and in his interviews with the press, he is so unique and yet so true to himself. He is not going to let the music industry decide who he should be and neither is he going to let the press push him into some box that he doesn't want to be in. The music industry can say, "Hey do it our way and we will make you famous" and the press can say, "Oh, its not fair to our society that you should be able to keep things private" But Mika does what he decides to do. I think it's the real thing, not some calculated decision and he is doing a good job at it, in a serious Mika way. :mf_rosetinted:

I do feel a bit sorry for Mika in the long run, because in the future (as a celebrity) it will be hard to have a private life. BUT, he probably already thought about that one and made his decision anyway. So, for now, I am hoping he is happy with his rising celebrity status and knowing that so many people love his music and his quirkly and adorable personality.

hey there you beloved all,

still the issue remains Mika's sexuality? so why's that? it's such a totally an utterly minor detail comparing his spirituality peeps! I love him for his spirit, his drive, his music his words ... the INNER Mika ...

him being gay or bi-sexual or hetro-sexual is just none of our bizniz.

just a simnple example I am a 41 y-o woman, married and happily too, but in the past 41 years I walked the planet I fell in love with women several times, but hey this doesn't make me a lesbian or bi-sexual it only says I fell in love with a woman a couple of times in my life. it either doesn't say if I had a relationship with them or not it only says I fell in love with them.

and you know why for people are people, I don't label people as being man or woman or young or old, or gay or bi or hetro sexual I only label a human being as a human being, it's the spirit that counts and nothing else, for everything we do bears a will and a why and a wherefore ... and it all comes into focus on the evolution of ones soul and nothing more.

and when I see MIKA carrying and spreading out his soul through his music and words into the world I can only love him zillions for that and for nothing more or nothing less ... for his way is a unique and very pleasant way! it's all about having JOY and FUN and sharing that will all peeps on the planet!

I totally agree with Mika's choice to stay away from disclosing what he "is." Because even if he said he were straight, it could still pigeonhole him. I don't know, at a young age I don't think he should label himself because he's still growing and could change.

the hair was my origional plan - but two problems 1- he thinks it's wierd and says hair strokers should get help, AND 2- im so short, i would never be abloe toreach his hair, his nose is just about in range! and it's very sweet. ive just made my goal more achievable!

the hair was my origional plan - but two problems 1- he thinks it's wierd and says hair strokers should get help, AND 2- im so short, i would never be abloe toreach his hair, his nose is just about in range! and it's very sweet. ive just made my goal more achievable!

Oh hell yeah, damn. I'm too short aswell, I'd probably just reach his knees:blink: Hmm...need...new...plan....:mf_rosetinted: