"I can be anything you like.."

Suzy

I was just watching the "Love Today Striptease" for the 142ndth time (its now my morning routine with coffee - ha ha) and hearing all the squeals of delight from girls and boys as he tears off his shirt made me realized how appealing MIKA is to EVERYONE!

"I can be anything you like..." the line he sings in GRACE KELLY, can't be any closer to the truth.

MIKA can be the sexiest man alive in one moment and then the cutest, warmest, and most endearing person, in the next.

He can be very serious and honest in one interview and then the silliest, spazziest in another!

That's what makes MIKA so much more attractive, than your average pop star!

He seems to have so many facets to his personality and he knows when to use it!

You're a TEASE MIKA and I'm loving it! (Just my two cents for the day)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about that just yesterday in Eir's ...thoughts... thread. I'll repost it here:

Thinking about Mika.

Wondering if he is the person he keeps showing us.

I have watched that Hong Kong interview yesterday for the first time. He was talking about his approach towards work and about how much he keeps insisting that everything is to be done properly. Something like 'I don't want to make friends at work, I want the people to get things done..."

This is not entirely new to me, a while ago I already had a (good) conversation about that topic with another MFC member before, but seeing that new video brought it all back again.

He also said that he was the kind of person who can tell people right in their faces that they look awful and so on..

These words have been reverberating inside my head since I have heard them, for I can hardly believe that. He always appears so genuine in everything he does and all we get to see and hear of him is always so nice, it's close to transcendental.

It is almost like he was on a mission. Like a kind of postmodern Jesus, forgive me for the religious reference, but I really can't think of any image that could meet my impression better than this.

I mean there are hardly any people saying 'Oh, Mika, well, yes, he's ok.' No there are the fans with their hearts as open as can be and... well...people who don't like him. There's no way to get stuck in the middle.

He pushes himself so hard to his limits (and honestly I really do think it is not all his management's decision, but his own wish to do so), almost as if he thought he was running out of time.

And the things he does. He's dealing so gently with his fans. He knows exactly how to make each of them happy within just a few minutes all by intuition. Just to name a few examples, he made natie sign the shirt she made for him. How nice was that just to turn the tables and make her feel like she was the celebrity. And the girl that proposed to him and got his hawaiian necklace... LOL. And turning to Sunshine after having realized that she knows the lyrics by heart. His empathy is remarkable.

It is hard to believe that all his hearty thoughtful gestures could be just calculated ....nothing but a cleverly-devised strategy of an ingenious mind to pave the way to stardom.

Someone once mentioned in another thread that he seems to be all in once: The puppet and the puppet player.

What a brilliant metaphor. I couldn't get it out of my head until now.

Maybe from that point of view the lyrics of Grace Kelly get a new denotation.

Maybe it is not all about being angry at the music industry but more than that.

He demonstrates every day that he can be anything we like. Like 'Say what you want, I'll be it for you:

Nice, hot, giggly, thoughtful, modest, topless, serious, spontaneous, gay, not gay, post-gay, a singer, a painter, a teaser, a storyteller, a stripper, a little boy, an agony aunt, your Winnie the Pooh.'

Identity mad? Maybe. But all on purpose.

Oh well, I should really stop analyzing people in public. But on the other hand Mika is a public person and this forum is not the New York Times.

Forgive me for sharing my weird thoughts. Maybe they are just that: weird - well, that's what I am. :insane:

I leave you to your own thoughts about it now but not without the personal conclusion I have drawn for myself out of this mad inside-of-my-head-discussion:

To me the awesomely amazing public Mika is real, first because I want it to be like that, second because noone can really act and pretend to be somebody else if their traits of character are actually totally different from the image to be drawn for the public ALL the time, and he is standing in the spotlight almost everyday...

And after all I still wish I had known him before.

(current state of identities: :mf_rosetinted::blush-anim-cl::argue:)

That thoughts thing was brilliant. I alway wondered whether or not it was a face that he put on for his fans unlike a number of other celebs who only put that face on for TV or really him. Now you've made me think harder! LOL :biggrin2:

I've also wondered about that. I think you can really feel if the person is pretending or not and in every interview I see Mika I feel he's really as sincere as he looks and I just can't understand how one person can be so serious about his work, so self-confident and at the same time playful, childlike, kind and gentle. It's still a mistery for me and it makes me think of him even more as a really wonderful person.:wink2:

He demonstrates every day that he can be anything we like. Like 'Say what you want, I'll be it for you:

Nice, hot, giggly, thoughtful, modest, topless, serious, spontaneous, gay, not gay, post-gay, a singer, a painter, a teaser, a storyteller, a stripper, a little boy, an agony aunt, your Winnie the Pooh.'

(current state of identities: :mf_rosetinted::blush-anim-cl::argue:)

Your Winnie the Pooh comment makes me think of the Tao of Pooh, which I read about a year ago. Here's a direct quote from the book:

When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few, other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

In the book, Benjamin Hoff says that Winnie the Pooh is P'u, the Uncarved Block. Personally, I think some of this rings true for Mika as well.

It's not that construction worker who's Winnie the Pooh; It's Mika! :biggrin2:

He's our Uncarved Block.:wink2:

Your Winnie the Pooh comment makes me think of the Tao of Pooh, which I read about a year ago. Here's a direct quote from the book:

When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few, other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

In the book, Benjamin Hoff says that Winnie the Pooh is P'u, the Uncarved Block. Personally, I think some of this rings true for Mika as well.

It's not that construction worker who's Winnie the Pooh; It's Mika! :biggrin2:

He's our Uncarved Block.:wink2:

Now, that is very interesting. I must admit that I have never read the book and now that I know that quote I wonder if Mika was serious with what he sais about the story. Maybe it really takes us to spiritual heights...:wink2:

Besides, thank you to everyone willing to read that transcript of my mind. I appreciate that very much (even more as it was weird and long - LOL). It is interesting to see that so many of you think alike.

That thoughts thing was brilliant. I alway wondered whether or not it was a face that he put on for his fans unlike a number of other celebs who only put that face on for TV or really him. Now you've made me think harder! LOL :biggrin2:

Thank you, Becky. It will make you think hardest while listening to 'Overrated'.

(I know we shouldn't but I can't resist...)

interesting points, i think mika works on intuition, impaulse, whever comes to mind he does, it probably also has something to do from coming from a lebanese liberal family! but i get your points about being extremily esentric one minuite and extremily calm and sweet the next! he does alot to please us fans!

interesting points, i think mika works on intuition, impaulse, whever comes to mind he does, it probably also has something to do from coming from a lebanese liberal family! but i get your points about being extremily esentric one minuite and extremily calm and sweet the next! he does alot to please us fans!

Really, I'm totally amazed. I've read kjoshi's report and found it soo sweet that he hugged her mum and told her that she has beautiful daughters. For sure that's true but nontheless it was so kind and just the right thing to say in that moment to ...you know... just give her something to make her happy. She must have been very proud. :original:

Violet_sky, I often wonder about that very same thing. I've always taken that line in "Grace Kelly" to be an extremely important aspect of Mika's appeal, and as someone who is specifically interested in questions of identity, masks, appearances and performance (both as a personal and professional concern--my love of Mika comes in no small way out of my academic interests, even though I don't discuss that all that much on here), that line also has special significance and associations for me.

The line aside however, it is true that there are many aspects of Mika's personality that seem almost counterposed. I, too, have a hard time reconciling his childlike wonder at things and his extreme professional determination. The same man who is unfailingly kind to any fan who wants a moment of his time is also the man who's said he's made people cry while recording his album (because of how demanding he was), and will probably continue to do so as long as he works with music. He's frighteningly driven, he does know just what he wants, and what he needs to do to get it. People on here call him shy and sweet, and sometimes he is, but he's also the boy who had no compunctions gate-crashing parties to gain an audience, persistently calling companies day after day, and so on. I want to know how much is real because I really want to believe him when he says that he is genuine... but none of us can really know, can we? He also said he realized that he had to take control of everything about his career, that it was "that vulgar" that he had to set out every detail--is his public persona one of those details? He did talk about how originally he saw himself as a songwriter mostly, but now that he's in the public eye all the time his performer side is getting more attention and he has to figure out how to balance that with his private personality.

His kindness to fans is especially interesting in this light--on the one hand, he's so unfailingly kind that it hardly seems real--I honestly do not know of any other performer who's that sweet to his fans, all the time--is it all a careful PR move? On the other hand, Mika would have to be the greatest actor in modern history to pull this off without breaking character ever, and so far, he never has.

Reporters seem to swing between calling him disarmingly charming, cooly calculating, or both. I wish I did know where the balance lay, but I suspect that sometimes constructing dichotomies is useless. The deeper you dig, the harder Mika is to pin down--perhaps by his own design, perhaps because we're looking too far, who knows? He's spent a good amount of time polishing and putting forth a colorful surface--that's what he wants you to enjoy, and he's much too smart to let you get easily beneath it.

--Jack

Haha, I don't think you need to be amazed, since I feel the exact same way about your original post...

We shall be the Verbose Doctors of Mikology!

I wonder if he'd be amused to see us discussing him so seriously though, or kind of annoyed that we're treating him as a research specimen?

--Jack

Violet_sky, I often wonder about that very same thing. I've always taken that line in "Grace Kelly" to be an extremely important aspect of Mika's appeal, and as someone who is specifically interested in questions of identity, masks, appearances and performance (both as a personal and professional concern--my love of Mika comes in no small way out of my academic interests, even though I don't discuss that all that much on here), that line also has special significance and associations for me.

The line aside however, it is true that there are many aspects of Mika's personality that seem almost counterposed. I, too, have a hard time reconciling his childlike wonder at things and his extreme professional determination. The same man who is unfailingly kind to any fan who wants a moment of his time is also the man who's said he's made people cry while recording his album (because of how demanding he was), and will probably continue to do so as long as he works with music. He's frighteningly driven, he does know just what he wants, and what he needs to do to get it. People on here call him shy and sweet, and sometimes he is, but he's also the boy who had no compunctions gate-crashing parties to gain an audience, persistently calling companies day after day, and so on. I want to know how much is real because I really want to believe him when he says that he is genuine... but none of us can really know, can we? He also said he realized that he had to take control of everything about his career, that it was "that vulgar" that he had to set out every detail--is his public persona one of those details? He did talk about how originally he saw himself as a songwriter mostly, but now that he's in the public eye all the time his performer side is getting more attention and he has to figure out how to balance that with his private personality.

His kindness to fans is especially interesting in this light--on the one hand, he's so unfailingly kind that it hardly seems real--I honestly do not know of any other performer who's that sweet to his fans, all the time--is it all a careful PR move? On the other hand, Mika would have to be the greatest actor in modern history to pull this off without breaking character ever, and so far, he never has.

Reporters seem to swing between calling him disarmingly charming, cooly calculating, or both. I wish I did know where the balance lay, but I suspect that sometimes constructing dichotomies is useless. The deeper you dig, the harder Mika is to pin down--perhaps by his own design, perhaps because we're looking too far, who knows? He's spent a good amount of time polishing and putting forth a colorful surface--that's what he wants you to enjoy, and he's much too smart to let you get easily beneath it.

--Jack

Thank you -well said, well written as usual:thumb_yello:

Haha, I don't think you need to be amazed, since I feel the exact same way about your original post...

We shall be the Verbose Doctors of Mikology!

I wonder if he's be amused to see us discussing him so seriously though, or kind of annoyed that we're treating him as a research specimen?

--Jack

LOL, thank you, concerning the man's reaction on us I think it would be a mixture of both. It'd be very hard for him to decide whether to be amused or annoyed...:biggrin2:

--Jack

It is amazing that so far there are no negative reports from fans who have encountered him, and some of the situations described would test the patience of even the kindest individual. There has to be more to it than just kindness, given the focus and drive which has brought him so far already.

I think Mika's fans are part of his career planning - he has said he wants a long career and fans who will stick with him. He is carefully building a strong and loyal fan base, and his manager's "kindness" to MFC members at shows is part of the research into how to keep us loyal, and giving us what we want will help him achieve that.

However, while that sounds cold and calculating, it seems that Mika loves people and people watching, and loves the random interactions he gets from dedicated fans. It is relatively easy to follow a plan that fits your personality and natural inclinations, and Mika's plan covers many years.

I believe there is also a genuine love of his fans as people, which enhances his kindness to us. He has both business and personal reasons for the way he behaves, and the more reasons he can find, the longer the behaviour will last, through illness, tiredness and abuse from ignorant or over-eager fans.

If you watch videos of his interations with fans, it is clear that he has his basic job, which is to give autographs and photos, which he does extremely well, with care and charm.

He lights up with joy at signs of real personality and care from his fans, like costumes, weird gifts and other signs of individuality. These are his and our highlights, and if the magic continues, both fans and superstar will live happily ever after!

What? I dont get it... :winksmiley02: ...Are you saying that Mika is just playing different roles during interviews etc.? If that is what you are saying, then I disagree. Mika is Mika... ...I am sure hi is not pretending to be anyone else. Because if he was, then why didnt he change himself in the first place just so he could get a foot in the music industri and get famous?:boxed: (Im talking about the music company that he wrote Grace Kelly to)

Im a little confused... :hypo:

.I am sure hi is not pretending to be anyone else. Because if he was, then why didnt he change himself in the first place just so he could get a foot in the music industri and get famous?:boxed: (Im talking about the music company that he wrote Grace Kelly to)

Im a little confused... :hypo:

I kind of agree with that... He fought too hard to be himself to not be himself after his first record!

And I really like the way violet_sky and JackViolet wrote about Mika's multiple aspects of his personality.

But with his OCD and wanting to control every aspect of his career/life, he might not always be as caring as with his fans.... but I don't think he'll show us this part of his personality!

Anyway, I really want to believe he truly likes everyone of us :wink2: