MIKA covering "You Got The Love"

Showtunes17

Never heard that song

Neither have I ... I think... I sounds sorta familiar (especially at the start)

ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN' FANTASTIC!

Another brilliant cover to add to the list: Sweet Dreams, Everybody's Talkin', Satellite, Hips Don't Lie, I Want You Back and now You've Got The Love. Mica is one of the few artists that I've come across who can consistently do covers as good if not better than the originals. In this case the original song was already fabulous and he did the seemingly impossible and made is even more so; his falsetto suited the song incredibly well! I also loved the little electronica remix sequence about 1:15 in! I couldn't sit still through it, I just had to dance!

I continue to be amazed by how versatile an artist he is: from opera to classic rock to powerpop to dance, he can do them all to perfection. While I'll always love his more thoughtful, piano-based works (e.g. Over My Shoulder, the acoustic version of Relax, Take It Easy, Intoxicated, etc.) the most, his dancier tracks (e.g. Relax, Take It Easy and now You've Got The Love) are very close seconds and his pop-rock tracks are very close thirds. :thumb_yello:

You know what the icing on the cake is? His awesome dancing. I challenge those who say "Mica is not a good dancer" to define what "good" is. Is it how well you follow a set of rules layed down by others and followed by yet more others? In my opinion, no. The beauty of his dancing is that it's not choreographed, it's not a prescribed set of moves, it's a physical expression of what he feels at that particular moment in time. There's no input from anyone else, it's 100% Mica and there are no language filters since dance is a universal language, it's a 100% direct communication. That's my definition of what "good" dancing is. ;)

Thank you for sharing those videos! They've made my evening. :original:

*stands up and gives SM a round of applause* Hooray Scut!!!

Even though I know a few people don't like it, I still prefer I Want You Back, maybe that's cause I love the Jackson 5 (but anytime one of their songs has been redone by another artist, the remake sounds better than the original)...

Can anyone tell me who originally sang You Got The Love?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At Somerset House we could follow the soundcheck on the big screens. Suddenly they started to play this song, Mika started to sing and I was like '????' - and then I remembered what it was. So I was really looking forward to the actual show to see what he had turned it into.

I must say that I like it. And I like it much better than 'I want you back'.

I can't listen to it here, but if it is the song I think it is (lol) I kinda like it! not as much as sweet dreams but still... would like to know what it is like when mika sings it! I bet it's great!

I watched that last weekend, and my mouth just fell open! :shocked: Mika unleashed his inner diva, and chose a fabulous song to do it with!

Even if it's not everyone's cup of tea, you have to admit, it was new and different.

I think Scut Monkey has worded it perfectly.:thumb_yello:

I've watched those videos a few more times and I love it more and more every time I hear it. I'm a big fan of electronic music (especially EBM but that's beside the point:bleh: ) and this was very well done!

Yeah I was pretty suprised when I heard this during sound check but I thought it was good! It was nice to have a bit of variation in the set list and I thought it fit quite well that night with the atmosphere etc.

*stands up and gives SM a round of applause* Hooray Scut!!!

I think Scut Monkey has worded it perfectly.:thumb_yello:

Thank you. :original:

I was rewatching those videos last night and it occured to me that it's one of the few times that he looks his actual age i.e. like a 23 year old clubbing or hitting a dance floor. It's strange but he often looks older or younger than his age but rarely his actual age. I hope that makes sense. :bleh:

I'm just not really sure what I think about this cover. Definitely not my favorite thing he's ever done, but I don't hate it either. I think it's hard to decide because of the not so good sound quality of the video. Maybe if I can hear a better version I will like it more.