Your Sympathy/Overrated/You Made Me/Erase etc.

Zika

I'm sure it's annoying that they were leaked but it's already happened. They are everywhere. I came across them without even looking - since I didn't even know they existed at the time.

Mika has benefitted immensely from exposure on the internet and this is just another consequence of it. You have to take the bad with the good although I would argue that this isn't even bad.

Mika stands to make his fortune not by record sales, but by filling concert stadiums. The more people who are exposed to his music - by whatever means necessary - the better IMO. There are many artists who can see beyond filling the coffers of their record company who agree with me.

Any way you look at it, they should forget about this old model of trying to force people to buy multiple physical CDs to get this track or that. Only the most die hard of die hard fans are going to do that. I'd be more than happy to download these tracks from Mikasounds but I have no intention of importing limited editions of LICM from all over the world. The fact that I have even one physical copy of LICM is a miracle.

I totally agree with you.I mean,if you want to have all mika's songs,you have to get them piece by piece in quite expensive Cds which mostly contain songs you already have! I totally understand that Mika doesn't want his songs to be on the web,but he should at least release one album with ALL of his songs in it!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im sorry, i know you're new, and i know other people have said this (well actually i dont, im assuming, i havent read all the pages admittedly)

but:

1) We do not discuss demos that have not been released as it is Mika's wish; he does not want them shared. How they slipped, no-one knows.

2) Erase and Your Sympathy are on an international album :thumb_yello:

I said it in the 2nd post :thumb_yello::wink2: Then in the 4th one :wink2:

I said it in the 2nd post :thumb_yello::wink2: Then in the 4th one :wink2:

oh right sorry lol :sweatdrop:

i know it's not ANY newbie's fault, but it irritates me *alot* when people try to get hold of these demos...if they have them on their computer, fine. if they have them on their iPod, fine, but I hate it when people try to continue to share them OPENLY. It makes other fans in the dark know about them, making more people want them.

Fair enough if they didn't know, not everyone knows, but the more people try to protect the demo's the more i see these threads pop up. I know it can't be stopped, but I wish it would...

Lucy, would you mind scaling your font down a bit? I'm sure it's a great boon to all the MFCers with vision problems, but I kind of feel like you're yelling at me through the computer whenever I read your posts.

Yop is like a kitty--pet her the right way and she purrs, but brush her the wrong way and she bristles up and maybe even scratches. Comparing her to a cat, for instance, is petting her the right way. :bleh: We're guessing Mika likes cats...

--Jack

P.S. Christine, I agree, but I think right now, at the outset of his career, Mika may be worried about paying back his record company and so that's why he's trying to crack down on the demos. He quite understands the possibilities of online music marketing, but he and the record company may have different views, and he may not yet be in a position to do entirely as he wishes there.

Aside from that, perfectionist that he is, he may not like the demos floating about simply because they're not "finished." I've known artists to get very upset when un-polished versions of their songs were released. He'd probably want to include cover art and the whole kaboodle before releasing them--he once talked about the way that online music sharing tends to do away with cover art and the ways he was trying to get around that, since he likes presenting a comprehensive package.

Lucy, would you mind scaling your font down a bit? I'm sure it's a great boon to all the MFCers with vision problems, but I kind of feel like you're yelling at me through the computer whenever I read your posts.

Yop is like a kitty--pet her the right way and she purrs, but brush her the wrong way and she bristles up and maybe even scratches. Comparing her to a cat, for instance, is petting her the right way. :bleh: We're guessing Mika likes cats...

--Jack

P.S. Christine, I agree, but I think right now, at the outset of his career, Mika may be worried about paying back his record company and so that's why he's trying to crack down on the demos. He quite understands the possibilities of online music marketing, but he and the record company may have different views, and he may not yet be in a position to do entirely as he wishes there.

Aside from that, perfectionist that he is, he may not like the demos floating about simply because they're not "finished." I've known artists to get very upset when un-polished versions of their songs were released. He'd probably want to include cover art and the whole kaboodle before releasing them--he once talked about the way that online music sharing tends to do away with cover art and the ways he was trying to get around that, since he likes presenting a comprehensive package.

:thumb_yello: well said!! :biggrin2:

As long as you don't really dance when you say *does the Mika dance* :thumb_yello::wink2:

:biggrin2:

LMAO! ofcourse i do it! DOH!!! its a very special dance...ill show u one day if we meet ;)

Jack is right about me.

Meow.

About the demos, i think that the problem is more in a commercial view : letting them hang around the internet could break the "surprise" of a new song and decrease the interest for the "finished" versions... I sort of know for exemple, having the demos we're talking about too, which one i would buy and which one i would not... All in the conditional since they are demos, so unfinished : i also could not like the finished versions of the ones i like ! And the contrary could be true too... But i think the surprise effect is important when you release an album, and i'm pretty sure the finished produced versions of the demos are partly part of the next album...

Do you get my point ? :blink:

Do you say that in reference to the comment you quoted ? :blink: Cause i was nice in that one !! :blink: Even when i'm nice people think i'm a b*tch :crybaby:

I guess that's the result of sarcasm :mf_rosetinted:

But yes, you're right, i MAY sometimes be irritated by some comments and/or threads :fisch:

by the way i don't think you're a b*tch :thumb_yello: i hope i didn't annoy you either because i didn't want to but sometimes i annoy people on accident :bleh: my bad haha

Jack is right about me.

Meow.

About the demos, i think that the problem is more in a commercial view : letting them hang around the internet could break the "surprise" of a new song and decrease the interest for the "finished" versions... I sort of know for exemple, having the demos we're talking about too, which one i would buy and which one i would not... All in the conditional since they are demos, so unfinished : i also could not like the finished versions of the ones i like ! And the contrary could be true too... But i think the surprise effect is important when you release an album, and i'm pretty sure the finished produced versions of the demos are partly part of the next album...

yeah exactly what im thinking...

I totally understand that Mika doesn't want his songs to be on the web,but he should at least release one album with ALL of his songs in it!

He doesn't have to release an album. He just has to sell the mp3s so that people don't get them elsewhere.

Paolo Nutini has a song that was a B side to Last Request, I believe. I bought the track from his website and if it wasn't available I would have downloaded it from a p2p file sharing network or ripped it from a YouTube video. I'm not going to all the trouble and expense of trying to track down the UK single and get it shipped to Canada, especially when I already purchased Last Request as part of his album.

Jack is right about me.

Meow.

I completely understand and I completely agree.

"Love Today", for example (i wish not to discuss these demos in detail but at least it's a song everyone knows, even if they've not heard the demo) when I heard the demo I admit I found it rather funny. I am much more of a fan of the finished version and I think everyone can agree. If he released the demo version I don't think I would like the song at all, but I can like it and find it amusing only because I know what it really sounds like. Does that make sense?

Unlike with Stuck in the middle...I was never a huge fan of the that song until I heard the demo. I don't know why, they both sound very similar, but hearing it raw made me like it more. Same with My Interpretation. Grace Kelly though...i absolutely adore :)

Over and out.

Jack is right about me.

I know my wife. :mf_rosetinted:

I agree with you that marketing considerations are why he wants to keep the demos under wraps, but I think it's only partly that--I think it may be the record company more than him that's really interested in profiting from releasing them later. I don't think he would put them on his second album: they'd be several years old by then, and I think he'd prefer to write new material.

I do love the demos though (I like so many more of his songs than you do, Yop! Bad kittyfan!), so I would love it if he put them all on some kind of bonus CD and released them. I mean re-recorded, polished versions by the way. I wouldn't buy them off iTunes if he released them now "as-is," since I have them all already... though unlike Christine, if he put them on CD even unfinished, as long as there was cover art, I'd buy it. If they were polished up into new versions and there was cover art, well, I'd run to the stores.

--Jack

Your Sympathy is a track on the American bonus edition. We get two, just to make it extra confusing. I only have the regular American edition though.

I don't know about this for sure, Jack -- I have 3 different versions of the

US album, and none of them has Your Sympathy. They all have Erase as a

regular track. One has two bonus tracks -- My Interpretation and Billy Brown

acoustic. That was from Target, I think. Another has two bonus tracks -- Love Today and Satellite acoustic. That was from Best Buy, I think. (I may have the sources reversed.) The third has no bonus tracks at all.

Then I have the UK version which does not have either Erase or Your Sympathy. (Which doesn't bother me, since neither song is among my

favorites...)

So I'm not sure if you can get Your Sympathy on a US version of the CD...

and if you can, don't tell me! I don't NEED another copy of LICM! LOL!

And Christine... this is NOT typical for me at all, either! To have multiple

copies of the same CD, just to get a few different bonus tracks...? Sssh!

Don't tell my husband!:naughty:

dcdeb

I agree with you that marketing considerations are why he wants to keep the demos under wraps, but I think it's only partly that--I think it may be the record company more than him that's really interested in profiting from releasing them later. I don't think he would put them on his second album: they'd be several years old by then, and I think he'd prefer to write new material.

I do love the demos though (I like so many more of his songs than you do, Yop! Bad kittyfan!), so I would love it if he put them all on some kind of bonus CD and released them.

--Jack

well Mika would like to release an EP wouldnt he? Like an extended single, minimised album. He would like to have about 5 songs on a CD, all of them sad. He said the name of the title he was thinking of but I can't remember it.

I know I definitely didn't dream this...he definitely said it but I cannot remember where.

So, if he does do that, you may find the demos on there :thumb_yello:

But i think the surprise effect is important when you release an album, and i'm pretty sure the finished produced versions of the demos are partly part of the next album...

What makes you say that? I was under the impression that they were hold-offs from LICM, which is borne out by the fact that they keep getting released as B-sides to LICM singles and bonus tracks on certain editions.

The only thing I expect on the next album is Holy Johnny.

I don't know about this for sure, Jack -- I have 3 different versions of the

US album, and none of them has Your Sympathy. They all have Erase as a

regular track. One has two bonus tracks -- My Interpretation and Billy Brown

acoustic. That was from Target, I think. Another has two bonus tracks -- Love Today and Satellite acoustic. That was from Best Buy, I think. (I may have the sources reversed.) The third has no bonus tracks at all.

Then I have the UK version which does not have either Erase or Your Sympathy. (Which doesn't bother me, since neither song is among my

favorites...)

So I'm not sure if you can get Your Sympathy on a US version of the CD...

and if you can, don't tell me! I don't NEED another copy of LICM! LOL!

And Christine... this is NOT typical for me at all, either! To have multiple

copies of the same CD, just to get a few different bonus tracks...? Sssh!

Don't tell my husband!:naughty:

dcdeb

I think Your Sympathy is on the limited Japanese edition, but I could be wrong.

As long as you don't really dance when you say *does the Mika dance* :thumb_yello::wink2:

:biggrin2:

Hey, even *I* dance when Sivan says *does the Mika dance*!

:naughty:

dcdeb

I do love the demos though (I like so many more of his songs than you do, Yop! Bad kittyfan!), so I would love it if he put them all on some kind of bonus CD and released them. I mean re-recorded, polished versions by the way. I wouldn't buy them off iTunes if he released them now "as-is," since I have them all already... though unlike Christine, if he put them on CD even unfinished, as long as there was cover art, I'd buy it. If they were polished up into new versions and there was cover art, well, I'd run to the stores.

--Jack

I don't think i said who was thinking about all that (Mika or Uni), but i feel lazy to read back, so i'll just say i didn't mean anyone, like a lot of things, i don't know who really decide.

well Mika would like to release an EP wouldnt he? Like an extended single, minimised album. He would like to have about 5 songs on a CD, all of them sad. He said the name of the title he was thinking of but I can't remember it.

I know I definitely didn't dream this...he definitely said it but I cannot remember where.

So, if he does do that, you may find the demos on there :thumb_yello:

I think the EP is expected at the end of the year, the time for him to prepare the next album and "make us wait"... I don't like the idea : it's like "Give the dig a bone"... But i don't know which songs will be on the EP.

Instant Martyr (former demo unreleased, now B side for Big Girl single so we can talk about it) is already out. Would they make it on the EP "too" ?

What makes you say that? I was under the impression that they were hold-offs from LICM, which is borne out by the fact that they keep getting released as B-sides to LICM singles and bonus tracks on certain editions.

The only thing I expect on the next album is Holy Johnny.

He said he's written about 30 songs so far, so if we take things basically, all of them that are not on LICM are "hold-offs" from it... They don't keep on release the demos we're talking about as B-sides, they only did that for Instant Martyr, and i don't expect "a lot" of singles out of LICM anymore for all the demos to be B-sides... But they could be on the EP like Caz said. And they could also be on the next album...

I think Your Sympathy is on the limited Japanese edition, but I could be wrong.

Yes it is, it's been confirmed before :thumb_yello:

--Jack

Jack,

I am so sorry if you think I was yelling at you or other fans. It is funny the way you say it. If people would tell other people on how to stop certain actions the way you do it, I will be the happiest person alive.

Just to let you know the reason of my font and size. I wear glasses and wear them 24/7. Without them I'll be lost. hehehe. Sometimes, I post messages without my glasses and I almost kiss the screen, but I will stop. And I know some of you have a 20/20 vision.

Again sorry.

Jack,

I am so sorry if you think I was yelling at you or other fans. It is funny the way you say it. If people would tell other people on how to stop certain actions the way you do it, I will be the happiest person alive.

Just to let you know the reason of my font and size. I wear glasses and wear them 24/7. Without them I'll be lost. hehehe. Sometimes, I post messages without my glasses and I almost kiss the screen, but I will stop. And I know some of you have a 20/20 vision.

Again sorry.

Super !! :thumb_yello: :thumb_yello: But Size 2 is correct too :naughty: