Hi Jeyjen-san,

The word 'san' is a suffix. It is kinda like Mr./Ms./Mrs. It has phonetically changed from 'sama', a more polite form. It shows respect or affection to the person/animal you mention.

In case of a child, pet, brothers/sisters, close family and friends, or someone /something we adore, we usually use 'chan' instead; e.g. Mika chan, Anakin-chan, my little rose chan (my dear little rose tree). By using chan we show affection to that person/animal/things. If I call him Mika sama, it surely would sound silly (lol). He is Mika chan.

So, in order of politeness,

1. sama (most polite form; usually we use it for clients/patients, someone you provide services)

2. san (most commonly used/versatile form; you can use this for someone you know/you do not know. But we do not use it when we mention our family, colleagues/bosses to a third-party)

3. chan (used in case of close relationship or someone very young)

For Freddie Mercury, I would rather use Freddie sama, lol!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hitomi Abe

はじめまして! ひとみと申します。 以前からこちらのMIKA FCで登録はしていたんですが、英語の難易度の高さに幽霊部員となっていました。   元々は2013年辺りの新木場公演に行って益々MIKAワールドに引き込まれ、それ以前のライブに行かなかった事にとても後悔して それまでを取り戻すかのように笑 2015年のライブでは大阪、東京2公演を見て、ライブ後のMIKAがファンの方達の前に来て

nuri

こんにちは Elle korea 8月号のMIKAの写真とインタビューの日本語訳を持ってきました   イギリスとフランス、イタリアそしてスペインまでここ2年間MIKAの近況は各国の言葉で翻訳され、すぐポータルサイトでアップされるみたいだね。どれほどいそがしくしていたの?   はは、2年前まではできるだけ仕事を減らすのが質的にクリエーティブになれるとおもってね、実は逆だったのがわかった。仕事

NaoMika

こんにちは、NaoMikaです。日本語スレは、はじめましてです。よろしくお願いいたします。 今ごろになってしまいましたが、欧州Heavenツアー4公演に参加してきました。(Limoges,Caen,Paris,London)   今日は10月13日Limogesのライブのレポートをさせていただきます。   まだMIKAファンになって半年のひよっこなので、内容の浅いものですがご容赦くださいませ。

Posted Images

Ha, s & h & i & t turns automatically ****, how funny, lol!

Hi Anakin, Miori-Mary and all

I tried to write Hajimemash*te once before and had the censor happen!!

Now I am in Melbourne, on my sister's non-JP computer, so can't even write any Nihongo, but Konnichiwa to all new/old Nihonjin fans, I am Blue Sky from Tokyo, the crazy addicted overwhelmed obasan who met Mika last Monday night, and have not been normal ever since.

I am sitting through the conference sessions here, gazing at my Mika pics ALL DAY...okashikunatchatta. Byoki mitai...hokano hanashi wa dekinakunachatte sa....

But I am converting all the conference attendees to Mika!! Very funny!!

I am glad there is a Japanese thread Mary, I said that to people at Liquid Room on Monday. Hey you guys, get on MFC and start a JP thread!!! So now we have one. Excellent.

BTW Mary, your sig says #3 fan, who are #1 and 2? :naughty:

Yoroshiku onegaishima-su!!

Howday Blue Sky!

Thanks again for everything you did for us at the gig! How could we thank you!

<I am sitting through the conference sessions here, gazing at my Mika pics ALL DAY...okashikunatchatta. Byoki mitai...hokano hanashi wa dekinakunachatte sa....

But I am converting all the conference attendees to Mika!!

Hahahahahaha! You are surrounded by how many Mika?! Good thing you are not turning them into sausage or something else with an imaginary wand, lol!

Pretty much the same at Mixi (ladies FYI Mixi is a social networking service in Japan and we have a fan club there called We Love Mika!). People do not seem to know how to live after he is GONE (sigh. Too short). Mika Mika darling, you are such a naughty boy, making all the girls an boys crazy about you. Tsumi na hito ne! Ikenai ko yo! Blue Sky ga byoki ni nacchatta jya nai! Anata ga Blue Sky wo annmari tsuyoku hug suru kara yo! (I said Blue Sky is gone crazy since Mika hugged her so hard) ! ミカ病よ!

I love Melbourne! My favorite destination!

I go to Australia once a year to dive at GBR, then down to Sydney & Melbourne for the amazing FOOD. One of the best in the world!

I never miss Balmoral beach and the Bather's pavillion (a famous restaurant)!

Hi Jeyjen-san,

The word 'san' is a suffix. It is kinda like Mr./Ms./Mrs. It has phonetically changed from 'sama', a more polite form. It shows respect or affection to the person/animal you mention.

In case of a child, pet, brothers/sisters, close family and friends, or someone /something we adore, we usually use 'chan' instead; e.g. Mika chan, Anakin-chan, my little rose chan (my dear little rose tree). By using chan we show affection to that person/animal/things. If I call him Mika sama, it surely would sound silly (lol). He is Mika chan.

So, in order of politeness,

1. sama (most polite form; usually we use it for clients/patients, someone you provide services)

2. san (most commonly used/versatile form; you can use this for someone you know/you do not know. But we do not use it when we mention our family, colleagues/bosses to a third-party)

3. chan (used in case of close relationship or someone very young)

For Freddie Mercury, I would rather use Freddie sama, lol!

oh thank you very much for the exhaustive explaination anakin-san (right?!? :blink: )!! now i understand ^__^

i really hope to be able to visit your country soon! i'll let you know when i come! ^^

Cazgirl chan! Konnichiwa!

Hai, Mika ha, everywhere desu!

He said he would be back next year, but looking at the crazy crowd at the gig, I guess the gig will be at much larger concert hall... Blue Sky help us getting the best spot for all of us, ppppplease!

Oh Blue sky now Mary is the moderator of WLM. I have retired. I cannot spend much time at Mixi anymore because I work for looooong hours on PC, and my doctor said less time! Oops looks like I will live here...danger! I have got to go!

Hi Anakin, Miori-Mary and all

I tried to write Hajimemash*te once before and had the censor happen!!

Now I am in Melbourne, on my sister's non-JP computer, so can't even write any Nihongo, but Konnichiwa to all new/old Nihonjin fans, I am Blue Sky from Tokyo, the crazy addicted overwhelmed obasan who met Mika last Monday night, and have not been normal ever since.

I am sitting through the conference sessions here, gazing at my Mika pics ALL DAY...okashikunatchatta. Byoki mitai...hokano hanashi wa dekinakunachatte sa....

But I am converting all the conference attendees to Mika!! Very funny!!

I am glad there is a Japanese thread Mary, I said that to people at Liquid Room on Monday. Hey you guys, get on MFC and start a JP thread!!! So now we have one. Excellent.

omg u met him? and i had no idea? did you create a report about it?

Hi Blue Sky!! All the guys in the conference look like MIKA to you? LOL I wish that happened to me.

Doredake ganbattemo otto wa MIKA ni mienai yo...

When are you coming back to Japan?

About #1 and 2 Mika fans in Japan, duh! Of course it's you and Anakin, though I can't quite decide which is more of a MIKA maniac!!:naughty:

Yoshie-san,

Great! It will probably be in Umeda.

Umeda kinpen de, dokoka lunch dekiru tokoro arimasennka?

wow! finally you started this thread, Mary.

I'm glad to see you all new Japanese fans in here.

yoroshiku~:wink2:

Hi Miina!

Ohisashiburi♪ How's it going lately? How's your lovely cat doing?

Nihon no fan mo fuete kitakara Japanese thread hoshiina tte omottano.

(ローマ字苦手…見れない方、文字化け許してね)

Miina, do you happen to live in the Kanasai area? If you do, you have to come to the Karaoke event.:punk: I'd love to meet you in person:wink2:

Aug 13th, Karaoke Event

Currently 9 people are signed up, 3 more will come if they can get the day off from work. :-) And of course, there will be people who just show up on that day.

Place ↓

カラオケの予約@茶屋町スーパージャンカラ、入れときました

『ミーカF.C.』で14時から3時間、10名+α

We will be meeting for lunch before Karaoke. Will let you know when the restaurant is decided. Any suggestions, Yoshie?

Hi Miina!

Ohisashiburi♪ How's it going lately? How's your lovely cat doing?

Nihon no fan mo fuete kitakara Japanese thread hoshiina tte omottano.

(ローマ字苦手…見れない方、文字化け許してね)

Miina, do you happen to live in the Kanasai area? If you do, you have to come to the Karaoke event.:punk: I'd love to meet you in person:wink2:

下がるの早いですね:sweatdrop:

やっぱり日本人はまだまだ少ないのかな。

BTW, Mika's brother was cuter than Mika:naughty:

Aug 13th, Karaoke Event

Currently 9 people are signed up, 3 more will come if they can get the day off from work. :-) And of course, there will be people who just show up on that day.

Place ↓

カラオケの予約@茶屋町スーパージャンカラ、入れときました

『ミーカF.C.』で14時から3時間、10名+α

We will be meeting for lunch before Karaoke. Will let you know when the restaurant is decided. Any suggestions, Yoshie?

shigoto ni ikunode kaisha de Hot Pepper wo mite mimasu!

Because I live in Kanagawa, I cannot participate in the karaoke, but please enjoy it.

Blue Sky!!!!

Do you remember me? I'm Julian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin2:

When do you come back to Japan? 

わたしも英語勉強中なのでたすかりますわ・・・

I want to meet Mary as soon as possible

Then,mixi see you

okay, I LOVE this nihongo advert by Morning Musume! It's about Pocky!

the song is catchy, but can someone write down the words in ROMAJI please?

arigatou gozaima~su!

Hi! CazGirl,

here you are

poki poki pocky oshiri furi furi poki ki ki ki

poki poki pocky yume ni deru hodo poki ki ki ki

poki poki pocky nebou shi ta kedo poki ki ki ki

poki poki pocky poki ki poki poki pocky poki ki ki ki

quite an old commercial...BTW:blink:

Hi, Miina! Kocchi koso yoroshiku! chikas_pink41wave.gif

ところで、wasabi_teaって、わさびのお茶???:biggrin2:

うん、そう!:biggrin2: あまりおいしくなさそうな飲み物ね!chikas_pink28ufufu.gif

Un, sou! Amari oishiku nasasou na nomimono ne!

Yup, that's right! It's not a very tasty-sounding drink, is it? *LOL*

(This is my attempt at using colloquial Japanese, LOL...)

Hi there!:blush-anim-cl:

I've joined Mika fan club today. This is my first post!!

みなさん、こんにちは。We Love Mikaからこちらのスレッドにきました。

先日のライブに私も行きましたが、想像以上に楽しく、凄すぎて。。。

開場前にBlue Skyさんをお見かけしました。一緒にいた方たちがMFCのメンバーなのですね!

たまごっち柄の浴衣とてもかわいくて、似合っていました!!

日本語で思いっきり書いてしまいましたが、今後は英語で!頑張ります。

Sanata:blush-anim-cl:

Hi there!:blush-anim-cl:

I've joined Mika fan club today. This is my first post!!

みなさん、こんにちは。We Love Mikaからこちらのスレッドにきました。

先日のライブに私も行きましたが、想像以上に楽しく、凄すぎて。。。

開場前にBlue Skyさんをお見かけしました。一緒にいた方たちがMFCのメンバーなのですね!

たまごっち柄の浴衣とてもかわいくて、似合っていました!!

日本語で思いっきり書いてしまいましたが、今後は英語で!頑張ります。

Sanata:blush-anim-cl:

konnichiwa! :) welcome to the forum!