Too-Rye-Ay - The '80s

Suzy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Superb thread!!! Memories of the 80s....hmmm where do you start??

To start with it has to be the dodgy perm I had - my first and last....

Music - everything mentioned so far and far too many others to mention at the moment!!!

I'll give this some serious thought and hopefully provide some more 80s inspired ramblings soon.....

Have I already said that the best music was made between 1973 and 1987? :biggrin2:

OK, we're talking about the second part of that period now. How could I forget to mention Madonna, the Simple Minds, Ultravox, Tina Turner, OMD, Kate Bush, Spandau Ballet, Pat Benatar, Dan Hartman (Reeeeeee...light my fire) - and many many more...

Footloose (Kevin Bacon was HOT!), Flashdance, Fame... And of course the A-Team - my mum hated it but finally she allowed me to watch. :naughty:

Oh and I should not forget the My Little Ponies... :blush-anim-cl:

did popstars cancel gigs in the '80s? good thing i never obsessed one then.

i would have been younger and more heartbroken.

need some of that red, red wine (ub40) right about now...

Awww....Suzy!!!:tears:

Ok, so this really made me think of the 80s...the local news was just on TV, and they showed this prison in Japan (I think that's where it was), where they had all the inmates dancing to Thriller by Michael Jackson for daily exercise :roftl: Apparently they have someone to teach them the choreography and then they all dance together...it said they dance to other 80s songs too...just imagine hundreds of inmates in orange jumpsuits dancing to Michael Jackson:roftl: :roftl: :roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

Ok, so this really made me think of the 80s...the local news was just on TV, and they showed this prison in Japan (I think that's where it was), where they had all the inmates dancing to Thriller by Michael Jackson for daily exercise :roftl: Apparently they have someone to teach them the choreography and then they all dance together...it said they dance to other 80s songs too...just imagine hundreds of inmates in orange jumpsuits dancing to Michael Jackson:roftl: :roftl:

WTF?! :roftl::roftl: Oooh, how I'd love to see that.

yes they did cancel gigs in the 80s ! i was 15 & planning to go to my first ever concert to see scritti politti in edinburgh but he suffered from stage-fright & cancelled i cryed for weeks ! do you know when i finally got to see scritti politti play live ....... last year at the fringe festival in edinburgh ! that was a wait of 22 years to see someone playing live :shocked:

I was born in 1994. But I liked the tv show like the Snorks, Transformers and such.

Oh, I loved Transformers!!! And He-Man!!! Oooh Smurfs!!!

Actually I was watching Back To The Future today!!! Michael J. Fox is such a great actor!!!

Sorry for the multiple quotes...I would have done a litte yesterday but I was in a really bad mood.:thumbdown:

Human league man soo many!!!!

I loveee 80 music

Yes! Don't You Want Me Baby! and Fascination!

When it comes to music I am a child of the 80s...

I was born in 1974 and I started listening to pop music (I mean - proper listening) at the age of 10/11. Eurythmics, Nena, Falco, Alphaville, Bruce Springsteen, the Cure, U2... In 1985 I developed a crush on a popstar for the very first time: the victim was Morten Harket from A-ha (I still have a thing for his beautiful eyes). :biggrin2:

OK, what else... Tape recorders, leg warmers, rollerskates (the blue-and-yellow ones - I owned 2 pairs!), me going to secondary school in 1986...

Eighties rock! :punk:

Take on Me! I lived in Roller Skates! Had dice on them too!

ahhh the 80s ! my best years , there was knotts landing & dynasty on the telly

Linda Evans and Joan Collins rivalry!

AAAHHHH! The 80's.

The Thompson Twins. The first concert I ever went to, was a HUGE fan of theirs, member of the fan club and everything.

Dexys Midnight Runners. again big fan dressed in the dungerees at the concerts.

I loved the song "Hold me Now"!

I remember having the worst perm ever in the 80s, although then I thought I looked good (what was I thinking!)

... St Elmos Fire etc

Everyone thought perms were good... I remember most of the 80's (I was born in 1983)... Leg warmers and rollerskates I definitely remember... as well as fluoro coloured clothing and shoulder pads... and mullets (I had the makings of one when I was about 5)...

Music was def good!!! :thumb_yello:

Superb thread!!! Memories of the 80s....hmmm where do you start??

To start with it has to be the dodgy perm I had - my first and last....

No. My perm was the worst. I have the thickest, coarsest, stick straight asian hair...you don't even wanna know :roftl:

Have I already said that the best music was made between 1973 and 1987?

OK, we're talking about the second part of that period now. How could I forget to mention Madonna, the Simple Minds, Ultravox, Tina Turner, OMD, Kate Bush, Spandau Ballet, Pat Benatar, Dan Hartman (Reeeeeee...light my fire) - and many many more...

Footloose (Kevin Bacon was HOT!), Flashdance, Fame... And of course the A-Team - my mum hated it but finally she allowed me to watch.

Oh and I should not forget the My Little Ponies...

OMD! Yes! I loved the song "Secret"! and Spandau Ballet's "True"!

Ok, so this really made me think of the 80s...the local news was just on TV, and they showed this prison in Japan (I think that's where it was), where they had all the inmates dancing to Thriller by Michael Jackson for daily exercise :roftl: Apparently they have someone to teach them the choreography and then they all dance together...it said they dance to other 80s songs too...just imagine hundreds of inmates in orange jumpsuits dancing to Michael Jackson:roftl: :roftl:

Not Japan - It's the Philippines! :wink2:

yes they did cancel gigs in the 80s ! i was 15 & planning to go to my first ever concert to see scritti politti in edinburgh but he suffered from stage-fright & cancelled i cryed for weeks ! do you know when i finally got to see scritti politti play live ....... last year at the fringe festival in edinburgh ! that was a wait of 22 years to see someone playing live :shocked:

OMG. The Perfect Way. :roftl:

Suzy are you a closet scritti fan ! do you know at the gig last year someone asked green to play absolute do you know what his reply was "absolutely not" all that wait & no absolute bummer :thumbdown:

Ok more things I love from the 80s:

TV:

Battle of the Planets (Japanese anime)

Rentaghost (ha ha, one of the main characters was called Mr. Meeker, I always think of him these days:wink2: )

The Tube

The Young Ones

Brideshead Revisited (I had a huge crush on Sebastian:wub2: )

Razzmatazz

Cheggars Plays Pop derderder derder der-dee-der der, etc..

:biggrin2:

Ok more things I love from the 80s:

TV:

Battle of the Planets (Japanese anime)

Rentaghost (ha ha, one of the main characters was called Mr. Meeker, I always think of him these days:wink2: )

The Tube

The Young Ones

Brideshead Revisited (I had a huge crush on Sebastian:wub2: )

Razzmatazz

Cheggars Plays Pop derderder derder der-dee-der der, etc..

:biggrin2:

I can't believe I forgot The Tube, Jules Holland is a legend. Every Friday night 6pm on Ch4, they were the first show to have Frankie Goes To Hollywood on and weren't they the show that French and Saunders started out on? They had all the best bands on, does anyone remember Belouise Some, he sang "Imagination". He had bleach blonde hair and the video was a bit racey, but they still showed it.

Other things I remember about the 80s, Brookside and Falcon Crest (like Dynasty and Dallas, but set in a vineyard).

I was a big fan of Scritti Politti too, and was sad to hear Green wouldn't sing any of the old songs now, loved "WoodBeez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin)".

And that reminds me (only 'cause they duetted together, Aretha, not Green), Annie Lennox in The Tourists ("I Only Wanna Be With You") and The Eurythmics, both great bands. I wish I hadn't forgotten so much, it was definitely my favourite era, so much fun back then.

RAKI1 - was it you who asked if I was a goth with my black, crimped hair? No, definitely not, more Bananarama!!!!

Brideshead Revisted!!! Cheggars!! (older, and more sleazy now - did you see him on Extras? :shocked: ) Rentaghost was horrible - the stuff of nightmares.

Why doesn't Green do his older stuff? That really annoys me. Obviously that's what a lot of fans want to hear and there's nothing wrong with that. Sounds a bit pretentious to me.

You all probably won't have heard of the band Love and Money (except scg) - they were an 80s Scottish band and I met the lead singer James Grant a good few years after they had made it big here. I was telling him (in a club) that I loved their album - think it may just have been called Love and Money, but it had Candybar Express on it - and he was rolling his eyes - really rude!!! Then he told me he wasn't a popstar, he was a poet. I literally turned and walked away! Arse.:naughty:

Just realised this is from the 90s!!!

I was sure the clothes were very 80s - didn't Bros used to dress like this? Ripped jeans, white tshirt, leather jacket?

I was obviously a little older than I thought I was when I was watching this! :naughty: Surely I didn't watch this in my 20s??!

I used to have a pair of sunglasses that were black but the parts that go behind your ears were fluorescent green and it had one of those little bands that hold them to your head. :roftl: This was in the early 90s, but I think that those glasses were an 80s thing.