Mika's Sexuality (A Different Kind of Thread)

JackViolet

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!!

I was just watching 2 videos in a row (it was really coincidence that I watched precisely these 2 one after another) but OMG what a difference!!

and:

I gotty say I am so nostalgic right now! I preferred the "old Mika"...

does anybody else feel the same way?

I feel nostalgic too:blush-anim-cl: , it feels ridiculous, but I do!!

It's not that I 'preferred' the younger Mika, it's just pure nostalgia. A bit like when your kids are growing up...you look at old photos of them and it's like 'aww, they were so different then'..but you still love how they are now, in fact you love them more each day..

BLEEURGHH sorry, that was so mushy, I feel sick now. Apologies if anyone else feels queasy!! :roftl: I'm not usually so sicko and sentimental!

Today I've watched that HQ video of the Jools Holland performance about 5 times in a row and I just thought :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

It's like he was a completely different person then...:blink:

I agree with you VS, it does seem like a different person...But I imagine that, to a certain degree, it IS.

This was one of his 'first' public performances so I would imagine that he was still relatively shy on stage, and also his style was in the process of being developed, etc...

I do think that the earlier performances have a certain quality that makes them very 'tender', but for some reason I feel more comfortable watching his more recent ones. I'll explain to see if anyone actually understands what I mean:roftl: .

This is how I view it:

Basically in these 'old' shows, I think that there is something in Mika which screams out 'pleaseee, like me!!', he comes across very insecure, like he's not sure what to do, or where to look, or which way to move, etc, in case he does the 'wrong' thing.

I may be getting this totally wrong, but IMO it looks like he's very self aware and like he's desperately looking for reassurance from the audience, or the band playing with him.

I don't know, I think that recently he has started to 'come out' a bit more in that sense and he seems to feel more comfortable and at home on stage, and for that reason I find it easier to watch now without feeling a bit like it's too emotional.

Does this make any sense to anyone? :blush-anim-cl:

Ok, Relax, Take it Easy!!!

Here it is

that's the one I posted, but I think they're asking for the one violet_sky was talking about! the one at jools holland.

it's this one

I agree with you VS, it does seem like a different person...But I imagine that, to a certain degree, it IS.

This was one of his 'first' public performances so I would imagine that he was still relatively shy on stage, and also his style was in the process of being developed, etc...

I do think that the earlier performances have a certain quality that makes them very 'tender', but for some reason I feel more comfortable watching his more recent ones. I'll explain to see if anyone actually understands what I mean:roftl: .

This is how I view it:

Basically in these 'old' shows, I think that there is something in Mika which screams out 'pleaseee, like me!!', he comes across very insecure, like he's not sure what to do, or where to look, or which way to move, etc, in case he does the 'wrong' thing.

I may be getting this totally wrong, but IMO it looks like he's very self aware and like he's desperately looking for reassurance from the audience, or the band playing with him.

I don't know, I think that recently he has started to 'come out' a bit more in that sense and he seems to feel more comfortable and at home on stage, and for that reason I find it easier to watch now without feeling a bit like it's too emotional.

Makes perfect sense to me.:wink2: Though, I don't really know which performances I like better. Yes, I feel a bit nostalgic watching the earlier performances, they rally make me wish I could have been able to be there, see Mika when he had just started performing, on the other side, now they are really more professional and lively. I just think that when Mika just started getting famous, this must have been very exciting time for him and that makes the early performances so fascinating. I like recent ones as much, but I hope that it won't become 'just job' for Mika in the course of time.

I do think that the earlier performances have a certain quality that makes them very 'tender', but for some reason I feel more comfortable watching his more recent ones. I'll explain to see if anyone actually understands what I mean.

This is how I view it:

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Yes, of course that makes sense.

I'm totally with you on that 'please like me' thought. It's literally written in his face. I still perceived that watching the Koko gig.

I really think those early performances are treasures. I'll never get tired watching those videos. I was so amazed watching the Jools Holland video, just thinking 'When did that happen? At which point exactly did he change that dramatically? And how could I not notice that?' Maybe this is because from the very beginning when I noticed him in the first place I had a feeling that he had various sides and faces. I said that earlier in another thread but I gladly repeat it here. The first time I saw him was in a TV ad. Just a short snipped of the Grace Kelly video. I thought 'WTF'?! ('WTF' in a very very positive way as in being amazed beyond measure :wink2: )

I couldn't get rid of it so I consulted the internet about that guy (oh sweet internet :wub2: ) and quickly found what I was looking for on youtube (where else? :bleh:) What I found was that. And I was sitting there like this :blink: I was quite confused and absolutely amazed. Actually at that point it was too late already. The point of no return, how dramatic :bleh:.

Just a few minutes of amazement later I ended up there - inevitably. And once again I was really quite unsure whether or not this guy was the same person I had seen before. It was too much for me :shocked: In fact it still is but slowly I learn to cope with it :thumb_yello:

Yes, of course that makes sense.

I'm totally with you on that 'please like me' thought. It's literally written in his face. I still perceived that watching the Koko gig.

I really think those early performances are treasures. I'll never get tired watching those videos. I was so amazed watching the Jools Holland video, just thinking 'When did that happen? At which point exactly did he change that dramatically? And how could I not notice that?' Maybe this is because from the very beginning when I noticed him in the first place I had a feeling that he had various sides and faces. I said that earlier in another thread but I gladly repeat it here. The first time I saw him was in a TV ad. Just a short snipped of the Grace Kelly video. I thought 'WTF'?! ('WTF' in a very very positive way as in being amazed beyond measure :wink2: )

I couldn't get rid of it so I consulted the internet about that guy (oh sweet internet :wub2: ) and quickly found what I was looking for on youtube (where else? :bleh:) What I found was that. And I was sitting there like this :blink: I was quite confused and absolutely amazed. Actually at that point it was too late already. The point of no return, how dramatic :bleh:.

Just a few minutes of amazement later I ended up there - inevitably. And once again I was really quite unsure whether or not this guy was the same person I had seen before. It was too much for me :shocked: In fact it still is but slowly I learn to cope with it :thumb_yello:

oh yeah these 2 vids are kinda different!

I'm totally with you on this whole different personalities thing!

I don't know if that's the reason why we didn't perceive the changes! maybe he just went through a slow evolution I don't know...

Yes, I completely understand and agreee. In his earlier performance, you want to take his hand and tell him it's going to be alright. He had a shyness about him that was captivating.

Past, present and future, he is a wonderful soul, but the nostalgic that you speak of is a precious reminder.

Does that make sense?

At which point exactly did he change that dramatically? And how could I not notice that?

For me the change was almost instantaneous and quite a shock. There was a hint at Coachella when he appeared to be putting on weight although at the time I chalked it up to him wearing baggy pants. His hair also looked quite a bit different but again I just thought it was due to the wind and an outdoor venue.

But when I saw Summer's videos from his June performances in the US... :shocked:

I thought who the hell is this man? I've never seen him before.

And I'm not the only one. The boards started going crazy at that time and the threads started getting raunchier. Suddenly the focus was on knitting, chicken, various body parts and Mikagasmic pictures.

Based on Mellody's video it looks like he's bulking up even more and I think the days of him being a skinny awkward kid are long gone. It's amazing how quickly he changed but it already seems like a lifetime ago.

For me the change was almost instantaneous and quite a shock. There was a hint at Coachella when he appeared to be putting on weight although at the time I chalked it up to him wearing baggy pants. His hair also looked quite a bit different but again I just thought it was due to the wind and an outdoor venue.

But when I saw Summer's videos from his June performances in the US... :shocked:

And I'm not the only one. The boards started going crazy at that time and the threads started getting raunchier. Suddenly the focus was on knitting, chicken, various body parts and Mikagasmic pictures.

Based on Mellody's video it looks like he's bulking up even more and I think the days of him being a skinny awkward kid are long gone. It's amazing how quickly he changed but it already seems like a lifetime ago.

you're making a good point here!

I still don't get why I didn't perceive the changes at that very moment, maybe I didn't wanna see them :blink:

I guess you are right about Coachella. I only appeared to perceive a change later when that whole topless topic came up. I remember that one gig where Mika in the end was spotted without his tee and still halfway dressed in an animal costume and people (especially the younger girls) were going bananas. I was like: 'What is it? I bet his shirt was soaking wet under that chicken thing, and... a topless man, oh wow, never seen that :mf_rosetinted: '

Today I think this might have been a test. A little market research on how the target group could be extended :bleh: (Oh yeah, I'm over-analyzing...:naughty: ) Because it was only after that gig when all that tindrum action started and people really were going mad and hormone controlled. I realized that was a turning point but wasn't quite so happy with that development. And still secretly (no, openly) I'd like to have a bit of his mysterious shyness back, it worked so much better for me. :original:

And still secretly (no, openly) I'd like to have a bit of his mysterious shyness back, it worked so much better for me. :original:

Me too. I feel nostalgic for the days before he took his shirt off, when none of us knew about his chest hair (LOL), when he actually used to wear his braces to keep his pants up:naughty: Personally I think he looks better with as many clothes on as possible! (animal costumes don't count..:naughty: )

I do think the stripping off thing has attracted a new demographic and that's no bad thing for his career, but part of me really wishes he'd waited a little longer before unleashing Sexy Mika on the world! He was so unique and special in the 'early days' - he still is, of course, but...well I think most people reading this will understand what I'm getting at.

Me too. I feel nostalgic for the days before he took his shirt off, when none of us knew about his chest hair (LOL), when he actually used to wear his braces to keep his pants up:naughty: Personally I think he looks better with as many clothes on as possible! (animal costumes don't count..:naughty: )

I do think the stripping off thing has attracted a new demographic and that's no bad thing for his career, but part of me really wishes he'd waited a little longer before unleashing Sexy Mika on the world! He was so unique and special in the 'early days' - he still is, of course, but...well I think most people reading this will understand what I'm getting at.

Absolutely. I second every word you said.

yeah, but you know what?

For people who actually saw these early performances, the difference is HUGE, but, people who only got to know him in his 'new' style, still describe him as the tall, skinny guy with the weird moves and the funny clothes. I mean, for them he's still different from the others. So even if he became more mainstream, to appeal to a broader audience, he's still concidered a 'left of center' artist, you know, the weird one.

And I think he's too much 'himself' to turn into a complete mainstream artist. He will never be.

What do I like the most? I loooooooved the KOKO performance: he had more confidence then in the Ronny-showcase-thing (I don't remember the exact name), but it was without ripping the clothes off.

But!!!! I'm also verrrry excited about the Somerset gig, with the masks and the circusmaster-clothes. It's not shy at all, but it matches sooooo good with the album.

Well, so far for my 2c

i have to disagree there; I like him skinny!

With clothes on:mf_rosetinted:

me too! with or without clothes :naughty:

no on stage with clothes, for the rest there might be a possibility to... okay I'm outta here :naughty: