Mfc Crash -all Read

deano

Hi guys,

You may have noticed that for the past hour or two the forum has been having problems.

It appears that it is YOUR fault :bleh:

:yikes:

We didn't mean to break the forum, deano!

:sorry:

We'll try to control ourselves from now on! :wink2:

dcdeb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I've restarted the Oldlings thread since Helen doesn't get online here

as often as some of us, and I have no other way to reach her. Hope

that's OK. :)

dcdeb

Thank you for your good job deano! :thumb_yello:

This forum has been pretty slow sometimes, and last night it didn't let me to log out. (It wasn't the first time!) I'm sure it will be better soon! Actually I've thought that would be good if none of us used moving pictures on our signatures. So many has them. That must be one of the reasons why this forum has been running slowly.

I have created The Australian Thread: Part 2.

We aussies sure know how to yack :naughty: ... sorry for causing any forum problems!

Thank you for all your work in trying to sort out the problems. We appreciate it. :thumb_yello:

If there's anything else we can do to help... just let us know. :)

Also, during the recent problems I decided to put more of my own money into this to ensure it doesn't happen again.

So as of tomorrow evening we are moving to our very own MFC server.

Bear in mind that normally there are 100+ sites per server, we will have one to ourself :punk:

The bad news is that the forum will be offiline for a bit tomorrow, but after that it should be flawless.

Wow - you totally rock deano!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work and $. I was thinking.. if all of the tons of members donated even $5 each, that would add up to a good amount wouldn't? (I know more would be better.) I hate to see you eat all the cost. THANK YOU!!!!! :thumb_yello:

OK, I've restarted the Oldlings thread since Helen doesn't get online here

as often as some of us, and I have no other way to reach her. Hope

that's OK. :)

dcdeb

Thanks Deb! :thumb_yello:

Deano/mods - could you add a post to the closed threads in which you place the link to the new thread? So that people know where to go? Just an idea. :wink2:

Also, during the recent problems I decided to put more of my own money into this to ensure it doesn't happen again.

So as of tomorrow evening we are moving to our very own MFC server.

Bear in mind that normally there are 100+ sites per server, we will have one to ourself :punk:

The bad news is that the forum will be offiline for a bit tomorrow, but after that it should be flawless.

Thank you so much, for the work, dedication and money that you and the team put into MFC...it is truely awesome.

Thanks Deb! :thumb_yello:

Deano/mods - could you add a post to the closed threads in which you place the link to the new thread? So that people know where to go? Just an idea. :wink2:

Specially the Oldlings eh Blue, that are away on holiday and won't have a clue whats going on when they get back! LOL

So 3 hours .. approx to switchoff , then we hed into the unknown world of the 2nd forum

<shakes> :fisch:

Woohoo... I wonder if we will have the experience of a second Twilight Zone - like the one we had a few months ago. :naughty:

Not that I don't trust Deano though. :wink2:

It appears that it is YOUR fault :bleh:

I will explain...

Most forums are nowhere near as big or popular as MFC, so it is not normal to have threads with more than 1,000 replies.

Here at MFC we have numerous threads with over 10,000 replies :shocked:

I totally agree with you that it is not normal to have 10,000 replies in a thread but the excessive size of many threads is due in large part to the insistence that no one is allowed to create duplicate threads on any remotely connected topic.

Obviously no one wants to read 50 different threads about Mika's birth name or one particular appearance on a TV show. But multiple threads can be very useful from a reading/posting standpoint and I'm guessing it will cut down on the bandwidth burden since people are not loading massive threads thousands of times.

Personally I don't want to sift through dozens of pages of event planning so that I can see pictures from Ibiza or Blue Sky's account of going backstage. I'd rather just open threads entitled "Ibiza concert pics" or "Mika invited me backstage in Tokyo".

Separating thread content and titling posts properly will ultimately cut down on the really annoying duplicate threads and inane questions because everyone will be able to find things more easily and will be less likely to miss things they find relevant.

Since I joined here I have been hearing how more threads = greater costs, but I don't understand why this would be. The posters insisting on this are not admins or even mods, so it would be nice to get some clarification.

I'm guessing that database space is not your problem, but bandwidth. The longer the threads are, the more information has to be called from the database. Isn't it preferential to have more threads instead of longer threads?