Hollis and Sarie's Thread of Randomness (All are Welcome!)

backflip_76

I think my priest is about 41.

Here, see these things on the back of the pews? They're long bars and they have things sticking out the back so they sit flat on the floor and don't wobble? Those are what you kneel on to pray. You pull them out of the pew the person in front of you is using.

pews.jpg

Weird...I've never seen those. In the churches I've been in there are little hand-made cushion things to kneel on.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my priest is about 41.

Here, see these things on the back of the pews? They're long bars and they have things sticking out the back so they sit flat on the floor and don't wobble? Those are what you kneel on to pray. You pull them out of the pew the person in front of you is using.

pews.jpg

ah, i see.

are those hymn books or bibles?

Weird...I've never seen those. In the churches I've been in there are little hand-made cushion things to kneel on.

Really? I think I might have seen those before, but I don't really remember.

I just wish I could find a better picture of those kneeling bars.

ah, i see.

are those hymn books or bibles?

I don't know, it's not my church.:naughty:

I just googled for a picture of those bars.

At my church, they hand out one book at the entrance before you get in the church. It's a hymnal in the back, and it has all the prayers like the Nicene Creed in the front.

I don't know, it's not my church.:naughty:

I just googled for a picture of those bars.

At my church, they hand out one book at the entrance before you get in the church. It's a hymnal in the back, and it has all the prayers like the Nicene Creed in the front.

well i'd thought you'd know anyway! :bleh:

we have hymn books in a thing on the back of the benches, and they hand out programs of the speakers and announcements and such.

well i'd thought you'd know anyway! :bleh:

we have hymn books in a thing on the back of the benches, and they hand out programs of the speakers and announcements and such.

Well, different churches do it differently. Some churches have a hymnal AND a book of prayer in the back like that.

Alot of the churches I've been to have handed out like a bulletin, but like my mom's church, they have all the prayers you're going to say that day written down in order, and what page the hymns are on. My church just has it on a big marquee thing at the front of the church, and the bulletin thingy is mostly just telling you what time Masses are for the week, prayer requests, and advertisements.

Do you guys have anything like the Rosary?

Well, different churches do it differently. Some churches have a hymnal AND a book of prayer in the back like that.

Alot of the churches I've been to have handed out like a bulletin, but like my mom's church, they have all the prayers you're going to say that day written down in order, and what page the hymns are on. My church just has it on a big marquee thing at the front of the church, and the bulletin thingy is mostly just telling you what time Masses are for the week, prayer requests, and advertisements.

Do you guys have anything like the Rosary?

What is the Rosary? I've heard it mentioned a lot but I never knew what it meant...

Well it looks like this:

purple-rosary.jpg

but you can get them in different colors, materials, etc. For each set of beads, you say a certain prayer. Like...

skullrosarytat.jpg

(Rosaries like... never have skulls, that's just a good picture I found for what I'm going to explain)

Okay, now see all those little beads between the gold skulls? There's ten beads between each one. On every one of those beads, you say the Hail Mary, which goes "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our dead, Amen."

You have to say the Hail Mary 63 times when you say the rosary. As soon as you're done, you move to the next bead and say it all over again. Then you say other prayers on the beads in between, like the Hail Holy Queen, the Our Father, etc.

If you go into a Catholic church a couple minutes before Mass, you'll see alot of old ladies kneeling and holding a Rosary, with their eyes closed, whispering the prayers.

Well it looks like this:

purple-rosary.jpg

but you can get them in different colors, materials, etc. For each set of beads, you say a certain prayer. Like...

skullrosarytat.jpg

(Rosaries like... never have skulls, that's just a good picture I found for what I'm going to explain)

Okay, now see all those little beads between the gold skulls? There's ten beads between each one. On every one of those beads, you say the Hail Mary, which goes "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our dead, Amen."

You have to say the Hail Mary 63 times when you say the rosary. As soon as you're done, you move to the next bead and say it all over again. Then you say other prayers on the beads in between, like the Hail Holy Queen, the Our Father, etc.

If you go into a Catholic church a couple minutes before Mass, you'll see alot of old ladies kneeling and holding a Rosary, with their eyes closed, whispering the prayers.

I thought it was something like that. Doesn't it take a really long time though?

I thought it was something like that. Doesn't it take a really long time though?

Ah, I made a mistake. I meant to say 53 Hail Marys.

And yup, it does. Alot of people don't say it everyday.

The Rosary consist of 1 Apostles' Creed, 1 Hail Holy Queen, 5 Glory be's, 5 Holy Mysteries, 5 Our Lady of Fatima Prayers, and 53 Hail Mary's.

There's a rosary group at my church that are usually in the Chapel every fourth week. I think it takes them about 45 minutes to say it.

Ah, I made a mistake. I meant to say 53 Hail Marys.

And yup, it does. Alot of people don't say it everyday.

The Rosary consist of 1 Apostles' Creed, 1 Hail Holy Queen, 5 Glory be's, 5 Holy Mysteries, 5 Our Lady of Fatima Prayers, and 53 Hail Mary's.

There's a rosary group at my church that are usually in the Chapel every fourth week. I think it takes them about 45 minutes to say it.

Wow, I definitely wouldn't be able to do that every day, lol.

I'm off to bed now...nighty night!

Me too!

Then she disappeared.

She's like the darned Cheshire Cat, that one.:sneaky2:

Can we cuddle until she comes back? I feel so empty inside! :crybaby: