Mika's accent and other languages

lollipop_monkey

The "Ouais" is really used all over the country. I would say it's just the "relaxed" form of "Oui"... So maybe the young people use it more than the previous generations, but it's not a matter of regional language... In fact, I think people in their teens, twenties or thirties almost use "ouais" more than "oui", except maybe at work or with your teachers...

But, thinking about it, we have so many ways to say "Oui"...

We also use "Vi" or "Voui" who both have a kind of childish and affectionate nuance, I guess... Pamette, what do you think ?

I don't know. I never say "Vi" or "Voui".

...Ahh, Francais: La langue de la perversion. :roftl:

:mf_boff:

My two cents : as a native french speaker, I can say he has a very nice french accent. In fact, to my ear, he has almost no accent at all. He sounds pretty "parisian" but he also somewhat speaks like a little kid.

This matter was discussed in another very interesting thread (cant' find it right now, sorry !!! :blink: ), where a MFCer, who was studying language sciences, explained us that it came from the fact that he had left France when he was nine, so his french is somewhat "stuck" to this point.

In fact, his voice actually sounds a little bit higher pitched when he speaks french, and there's aslo a certain "shyness" which I don't hear when he speaks english ( but, then, english in not my first language, so I may me missing things...)

Anyway, to sum it up, his french is very good, he makes very few mistakes and sounds absolutely cute !! :wub2:

I agree too!

When he speaks French, he looks and sounds like a child.

I wonder if he doesn't feel like a child when he's in France.

I explain it: When he left, he was 8. When he remembers France, he must often remember about his childhood and maybe it's a little part who can explain why he looks like a child.

When he speaks French, he looks and sounds like a child.

He does that in English too. Not all the time, but certainly more than most people his age. Not his language of course but his mannerisms and tone of voice.

It looks correct. It literally translates to "Let me introduce my group," doesn't it?

Maybe it's like the Spanish thing, where 'fresco' means 'cool,' but you can't call someone 'fresco' because if you do, you're calling them 'gay.'

It's funny how the same language can have different variations depending on the country....What you explain about the usage of "fresco" as gay, is not the same in Spanish from Spain.

In Spain, "fresco" (as well as cool, or chilly) means something like "cheeky", but certainly not gay:naughty:

Funny he!

It's funny how the same language can have different variations depending on the country....What you explain about the usage of "fresco" as gay, is not the same in Spanish from Spain.

In Spain, "fresco" (as well as cool, or chilly) means something like "cheeky", but certainly not gay:naughty:

Funny he!

This is what my Spanish teacher told my class:

"I had some boys in my class a few years ago who learned 'fresco,' and they went around talking to all the Mexican kids and saying "Ah, I'm fresco!" Then they got made fun of because they were saying that they liked the boys!" :naughty:

It's like huevos. Does that have the same naughty meaning in Spain as it does in Mexico? :D

:roftl: Not in the language of love: to put a coin in a machine,...

We have bad thoughts! That's all! :bleh:

Vive les Français! Where is the Picknick smiley? :das:

...Ahh, Francais: La langue de la perversion. :roftl:

:das:

:mf_boff:

Ah, there it is! :das:

The "Ouais" is really used all over the country. I would say it's just the "relaxed" form of "Oui"... So maybe the young people use it more than the previous generations, but it's not a matter of regional language... In fact, I think people in their teens, twenties or thirties almost use "ouais" more than "oui", except maybe at work or with your teachers...
General thing! :wink2:

But for French people is less polite to say "Ouais" than to say "Oui".

That is what my teacher told us too, that it is an informal form of 'oui' so to say. But not a regional thing though, I see - merci! :thumb_yello:

Yeah! You're everywhere in France! :biggrin2:

I always wonder how it's possible for you to be everywhere in France in summer.

A lot of German people comes too but nothing comparing with the Dutch people! It's amazing!

I hope we're nice with you because everybody says we're arrogant.

Scary, isn't it? :biggrin2:

The Dutch are indeed all over France, every year, every holiday, summer and winter (in winter we come to the French Alps for skiing!)!

I know there are Dutch people who say 'the only bad thing about France are the French people' - but don't take it too personal. Dutch people can be funny in a certain way. I like France and I like the people, I always feel very welcome there.

"I had some boys in my class a few years ago who learned 'fresco,' and they went around talking to all the Mexican kids and saying "Ah, I'm fresco!" Then they got made fun of because they were saying that they liked the boys!" :naughty:

It's like huevos. Does that have the same naughty meaning in Spain as it does in Mexico? :D

i don´t know about spain, but it certainly does here in argentina lol. I believe they call them cojones in spain.

Never heard of fresco meaning "gay" though!. We don´t really use that word here but if we did it would be some kind of literal english translation, so it would mean "cool".

Huevos.....yes, that is also used in Spain as informal for "balls", hehehe...:biggrin2:

Huevos.....yes, that is also used in Spain as informal for "balls", hehehe...:biggrin2:

:naughty: We used to have to do group exercises in front of the class to practice, and my teacher had this shopping cart. One person was supposed to be behind the checkout counter, the other person was checking out, and you were supposed to talk about the food in front of the class. Needless to say, when the eggs came up, someone said, "Me gusta tus huevos." :roftl:

to me, ive noticed in videos when he meets the fans he seems to pick up peoples accents while talking to them and this is what I do also, to the point where people think im mimiking them deliberately

I think his french sounds so nice, even though I only understand basicaly a few words, even when he appears to make a mistake he seems so cute trying to correct it! :mf_lustslow:

This language and pronunciation thread just reminded me on something... It goes back to last year, when Mika played in the Trabendo, in Paris. He was on a french tv show, called "On a tout essayé" with french interviewer Laurent Ruquier. At one point, Laurent Ruquier talked about Will Smith, which he pronounced in the most typically and horribly french way... something like Will Smisss And it was really funny because, at first Mika didn't understand who he was talking about, and then, when he finally got it, he showed Ruquier how to pronounce Smith properly :bleh: .

And I remember thinking : It's funny, anyone doing this on a live Tv show could have sounded horribly arrogant and pedant, but this guy just sounds absolutely adorable ! There was something so simple and genuinely "I'm just trying to help" about his way of doing it... I guess that's one of the first things that made me like Mika...:wub2:

After, of course, I heard him singing... :mf_lustslow:

I remember they talked about Joe Dassin before and Mika pronounced it as 'Joe Dessin' or so (ow man, it is hard for a Dutchie like me to describe this!) and the host corrected him? Then later in the show Mika strikes back with the Will Smissss thing. :biggrin2:

Yeah! It's thanks to this TV show that "I felt in love" with Mica.

Laurent Ruquier always makes fun of his guests. And Mica answered him with a lot of sense of humour. It was hilarious!

He showed that he was very nice and funny but had also a strong personnality! I adore it!

As I said before, he's an excellent role model for British kids, and the British in general as we are not famed for our language skills! Generally speaking as a nation we are lazy linguists.

Don't worry! French people are lazy too! :bleh: