2007 - Dubai Desert Rhythm Festival 27-10-2007: REVIEWS!

Blue

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello! This is my first post here. I've long been a fan of Mika's but I only thought of joining a fanclub now....Why now? Well, I'm back from Mika's concert in Dubai!!! Yes, I go to the American University in Dubai and to get to the venue where his concert was, all I had to do was cross the street. Enough about me, more about the wonderness that is Mika.

So this Desert Rythm Festival is a two day thing. The first night had Kanye West, Ziggy Marley and others, while the second day had Joss Stone and others...oh and MIKAAAAAAA!

I got to the venue at around 5 pm. The venue was huge and there were so many really cool themed stands and stalls all around and right in the center was the stage and the standing area. When I got there everyone was sitting down, drinking and chilling. Then Black Guitar came on and they were really good, followed by Joss Stone who was also very very good. Then there was one.

So after Joss Stone finished her bit, my friends and I pushed and shoved our way to the 3rd line from the front. We waited for around 45 minutes all cramped and hot but very excited. We made some friends with people around us. Everyone there was extremely happy. We saw the stage getting set up with the band's equipment which was adorned with colorful flowers very ala Mika. In the center of the stage there was this huge blue balloon tied down.

At 09:45 pm, all lights went out and some faint white light was shining on the screen. The crowd was going insane! Then some trippy vocals started playing, which sounded like something out of an 80's B-movie (very cool) and the lights started playing around. Then the balloon POPPED and there was a dancing butterfly woman. She finished her 20 second dance and she walked away...a few seconds later, Mika came on! CROWD = INSANITY!

He was posing with his hand up and his knee bent, looking to the side of the stage, then RELAX, TAKE IT EASY started playing. The entire crowd was singing along. It was absolutely amazing. After that, Mika said that although he is half Lebanese, his Arabic "mannoo mneeh kteer" (isn't so good). He then asked around if there were any Big Girls in the audience!! He told all the small skinny girls to get multiplied by four and BAM!, BIG GIRLS (YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL) was on!

He sang every song on his album except Erase. He also had 3 songs I had never heard before. One of them was apparently a new song of his that I think is called How Much Do You Love Me, which was an AWESOME song. This other one had to do with praying and preachers and was really nice to. The 3rd song sampled this dance song (you know the one with the video of the dancing bunnies that go crazy).

Great moments/quotes: Before "Billy Brown", Mika said that when he first sampled this song to his American recording agency, they said: "there is no way we're putting this song out, no way"..."and look at us NOW!"

Before "How Much Do You Love Me", Mika said this: "A long time ago-Actually not a very long time ago-8 months ago, I had to sample my new songs on 10 or 15 friends...now it's 15,000 people in ****ING DUBAI!"

At some point, during an instrumental, Mika went offstage and came back with his shirt off and his drummer pulled out this huge, decorated trash-can and they both started banging on it making music. It was insane.

For Big Girl, there was a huge blow-up Big Girl, and there was also a huge blow-up little girl for Lollipop which Mika played with. (More on Lollipop below)

Love Today needs a mention because it was AMAAAAAZING! He gave it a new start, his voice went all high pitch and Freddie-ish and he sang a slow rendition of the verse "little tight like to tease for fun/licks her lips like they're something other/tries to tell you life has just begun/but she ain't gonna tease no other, gonna make you a lover. I believe it was in this song that he did some pelvic thrusting that was just genius just because it was Mika. AAAAAA AMAAAAZING!

Grace Kelly was really awesome. Mika had the crowd participate in this song so much.

After Grace Kelly, Mika went offstage saying good bye but then him and his band ran on stage dressed as animals like a bunny (drummer), alligator (Mika), and others. All the animals were attacking the bunny and the alligator tried humping her but then the Bunny went all Kong-fu on their asses with her drumsticks and "beat them down". Then they all took off their costume heads as behind them, a big blow up doll of a girl with a...LOLLIPOP. Mika put his alligator head on so that the mouth was eating his head for a while. Then Lollipop started playing just as a whole bunch of HUGE balloons were thrown at the audience who were just raving mad at that point. Mika was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Then confetti of every type fell from the sky, hearts red and gold, long lines of silver and blue and gold, with the insanity of the lights. It was beyond anything.

IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE!

Mika really really loved us! He kept bowing and he was laughing during so many of his verses. He kept saying how we were one of the loudest crowds he's ever heard. We were singing along to every song. You would've been so proud.

Hope that's not too hard to read through.

OK, please post your reports/pics/vids of this festival here, please!

I've copied the few posts that were in the other thread now so we can have them

all here.

Thanks! :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

Hello! This is my first post here. I've long been a fan of Mika's but I only thought of joining a fanclub now....Why now? Well, I'm back from Mika's concert in Dubai!!! Yes, I go to the American University in Dubai and to get to the venue where his concert was, all I had to do was cross the street. Enough about me, more about the wonderness that is Mika.

So this Desert Rythm Festival is a two day thing. The first night had Kanye West, Ziggy Marley and others, while the second day had Joss Stone and others...oh and MIKAAAAAAA!

I got to the venue at around 5 pm. The venue was huge and there were so many really cool themed stands and stalls all around and right in the center was the stage and the standing area. When I got there everyone was sitting down, drinking and chilling. Then Black Guitar came on and they were really good, followed by Joss Stone who was also very very good. Then there was one.

So after Joss Stone finished her bit, my friends and I pushed and shoved our way to the 3rd line from the front. We waited for around 45 minutes all cramped and hot but very excited. We made some friends with people around us. Everyone there was extremely happy. We saw the stage getting set up with the band's equipment which was adorned with colorful flowers very ala Mika. In the center of the stage there was this huge blue balloon tied down.

At 09:45 pm, all lights went out and some faint white light was shining on the screen. The crowd was going insane! Then some trippy vocals started playing, which sounded like something out of an 80's B-movie (very cool) and the lights started playing around. Then the balloon POPPED and there was a dancing butterfly woman. She finished her 20 second dance and she walked away...a few seconds later, Mika came on! CROWD = INSANITY!

He was posing with his hand up and his knee bent, looking to the side of the stage, then RELAX, TAKE IT EASY started playing. The entire crowd was singing along. It was absolutely amazing. After that, Mika said that although he is half Lebanese, his Arabic "mannoo mneeh kteer" (isn't so good). He then asked around if there were any Big Girls in the audience!! He told all the small skinny girls to get multiplied by four and BAM!, BIG GIRLS (YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL) was on!

He sang every song on his album except Erase. He also had 3 songs I had never heard before. One of them was apparently a new song of his that I think is called How Much Do You Love Me, which was an AWESOME song. This other one had to do with praying and preachers and was really nice to. The 3rd song sampled this dance song (you know the one with the video of the dancing bunnies that go crazy).

Great moments/quotes: Before "Billy Brown", Mika said that when he first sampled this song to his American recording agency, they said: "there is no way we're putting this song out, no way"..."and look at us NOW!"

Before "How Much Do You Love Me", Mika said this: "A long time ago-Actually not a very long time ago-8 months ago, I had to sample my new songs on 10 or 15 friends...now it's 15,000 people in ****ING DUBAI!"

At some point, during an instrumental, Mika went offstage and came back with his shirt off and his drummer pulled out this huge, decorated trash-can and they both started banging on it making music. It was insane.

For Big Girl, there was a huge blow-up Big Girl, and there was also a huge blow-up little girl for Lollipop which Mika played with. (More on Lollipop below)

Love Today needs a mention because it was AMAAAAAZING! He gave it a new start, his voice went all high pitch and Freddie-ish and he sang a slow rendition of the verse "little tight like to tease for fun/licks her lips like they're something other/tries to tell you life has just begun/but she ain't gonna tease no other, gonna make you a lover. I believe it was in this song that he did some pelvic thrusting that was just genius just because it was Mika. AAAAAA AMAAAAZING!

Grace Kelly was really awesome. Mika had the crowd participate in this song so much.

After Grace Kelly, Mika went offstage saying good bye but then him and his band ran on stage dressed as animals like a bunny (drummer), alligator (Mika), and others. All the animals were attacking the bunny and the alligator tried humping her but then the Bunny went all Kong-fu on their asses with her drumsticks and "beat them down". Then they all took off their costume heads as behind them, a big blow up doll of a girl with a...LOLLIPOP. Mika put his alligator head on so that the mouth was eating his head for a while. Then Lollipop started playing just as a whole bunch of HUGE balloons were thrown at the audience who were just raving mad at that point. Mika was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Then confetti of every type fell from the sky, hearts red and gold, long lines of silver and blue and gold, with the insanity of the lights. It was beyond anything.

IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE!

Mika really really loved us! He kept bowing and he was laughing during so many of his verses. He kept saying how we were one of the loudest crowds he's ever heard. We were singing along to every song. You would've been so proud.

welcome on the forums and thank you for your great report. glad he is discovered over there and i'm so happy that he made it big time this time. 15 000 people? this is huge even for him. and i have no doubt that he will be the star. somewhere here somebody said that this festival should be named mika's festival. and she or he was right. thank you guys a lot.

Thank you Sou and Georgio, welcome BTW :flowers2:

So good to read you had an AMAZING night :punk:

IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE!

Thanks again for that very visual report, I think it's brilliant, I could see everything right before me while reading :thumb_yello:

Did he sing Over my Shoulder?

Oh and did they have the skeleton for the LT intro?

IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE!

SOUNDS LIKE A MIKA CONCERT TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :punk:

welcome to the club ;)