Hopefully going to Pride for the first time this year! :boing:

I have to say that I adore your signature :D

GAY MARRIAGE IS LEGAL ACROSS USA!!!!

I am SO happy!!!! And I do not even plan to get married in the US!!!! But the human being needs tolerance and this is such a big step!!!!

I AM HAPPY!!!!!

:pbjt:  :pbjt:  :pbjt:  :pbjt: 

GAY MARRIAGE IS LEGAL ACROSS USA!!!!

The White House was actually lit up in a rainbow!

CIeUJnrUwAAsj_q.jpg

I'm so proud of my country!  Of course, there are still a lot of places here where you can now get married to your same-sex partner and then get fired from your job the next day if your boss finds out and doesn't approve. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We have so far to go in the US... some of the backlash that's been taking place, I am deeply ashamed of my fellow Americans.

I wrote this after the ruling, and I thought I would share it, if MFC space limitations will let me...

___

NOTE TO CHRISTIAN FRIENDS: IF THIS ISN'T ABOUT YOU, IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. "YOU" IN THIS CASE IS A METAPHORICAL YOU.

In reading a lot of the protests against same sex marriage, I am seeing people ask how they can be considered bigoted if they don't believe in the concept, or feel it is being forced upon them to accept gay people.

I am not gay, but I have been an ally for many years. Even though I have been mistaken for a lesbian in the past, and taken harassment for this erroneous assumption, I know that nothing I have endured compares to what any of them have. That said, I'm not speaking on behalf of them, but my own views as a person...

Let me make this as simple as possible: It has been learned there are a whole range of sexual preferences out there, not simply straight or gay. It has been shown that our preferences are part of our genetic makeup, not just something you wake up one morning and decide to become. Straight has been the accepted default for a very long time, but that doesn't make it the ONLY option out there. Religious and societal beliefs do not change this; people do not become straight just because you want them to be. Reprogramming centers have low success rates because it's hardwired into a person what they are drawn to sexually.

To choose to discriminate against someone for something they can't help being IS being bigoted. It doesn't matter if you are using religious views to discriminate or not; you are denying another person the right to the same privileges and rights that you enjoy. Another American. A person you may or may not even know is gay. It's not as though every gay man is effeminate, every gay woman is butch, so they are easily identifiable. These are stereotypes that cling with us and are as offensive as blackface to an African American.

Your religious views are not the law of the land. It wasn't all that long ago that women and minorities were considered "less than", and they are still not fully equal in many ways. They still face sexism and racism on a daily basis, much of it by people who consider the Bible their guiding light. If you are adamant that your religious views color the laws of this country, consider this: Yours is not the only religion in America. It, like straight, is the default setting. However, you'd be the first to scream if another religion were suddenly #1 in the country and you were expected to abide by its tenets, even though you do not practice this religion.

People who are not straight or Christian go through this every day. You don't believe it? Consider the following:

Many workplaces don't allow religious symbols to be worn on the job. They don't allow any photos of your off-the-clock time to be put on the walls of your cubicle. Do you know why this is? It's not because the Jewish guy was offended by your cross - it's because a Christian was offended by his Star of David. It's because gays can still be fired simply for being gay - they can't come to work and post pictures of their vacations, or discuss their home lives like straight people can, unless they're high enough in the hierarchy that they can get away with it. To get that far, they have oftentimes had to deny a part of themselves that is the core of their existence.

How much do you take for granted? When you go out with your significant other, do you hold hands? Do you offer a little peck on the cheek? When sitting at a table waiting for dinner, do you run your hand across the back of your partner's lovingly? These things can get a gay couple harassed, assaulted or even killed BY PEOPLE WHO ARE OFFENDED. WHO DON'T BELIEVE IT'S RIGHT BECAUSE OF THEIR RELIGION.

How much of your life would you be willing to hide simply to be free of harassment? They have to do it every single day of their lives. They have been forced to live a heteronormative life for YOUR comfort levels.

Turn the tables. How would you feel if you could not marry the person you loved, could not be yourself in public life? If people were trying to convince you that the way you live your everyday existence was wrong? If you had to consciously think about every single action you made in life, lest someone threaten your life? How would your existence feel? Would you like it very much? Why do you think they should have to?

History used to be written only by the victors. In modern times, we can also hear the voices of those who did not win, who were oppressed. It can be uncomfortable hearing the minority view, especially if you're used to the "accepted" version, but does that mean it doesn't exist? No. It's just as valid as the one you know.

Knowing and understanding that our views of everything are NOT the same ones everyone else around us shares - and being willing to live with that - is the only thing that will lead to peace. And while you are free to believe what you wish, the man you claim to follow said to love thy neighbor as thyself. He didn't follow it with a list of who not to love. He said to love them, period.

"The Gay" is not being forced upon you. You are simply being asked to give them equal protection under the law, to treat them as equals. After all, they ARE human beings, just like you. They are your fellow Americans. They vote. They pay taxes. Why should they not have equal protection under the law?

No one is forcing you to marry a person of the same sex, no one is making you attend Pride. Not all gays even attend Pride, for the record. However, there are plenty of religious people who want it ONLY their way, or it's wrong.

Making a wedding cake or a flower arrangement for a gay wedding is not participating in it, it is providing a service to the public that you accepted to do upon opening a business to the public. Unless you refuse to serve those who are "sinning" in other ways your religion would find offensive, you ARE discriminating against that icky gay sex thing that has nothing to do with you or your own life. You ARE a bigot. After all, we are all sinners, if you remember that lesson from Sunday School.

As a friend pointed out recently, it took gays five years longer than corporations to be identified as people in this country. I find THAT more offensive than extending equality to my fellow humans.

Gay and God. Two "G" words that exist in this country, and often do not play well together. But it's my hope that someday, people will understand that we're all different, we all have things we don't like about others, but if they were just like us, the world would get boring really fast.

I personally do not believe, but if you want to, that's fine by me as long as you are not pushing for me to believe as you do or face your wrath. The difference between that and what so many are being so vocal about? They are looking to EXCLUDE. Those who support Friday's Supreme Court decision are looking to INCLUDE. As Americans, we have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. This applies whether you're Christian, gay, black, or anything else.

Bottom line: Gays vote. They pay taxes. They deserve equal protection under the law, no matter what ONE religion in this country may say.

Hopefully going to Pride for the first time this year! :boing:

I have to say that I adore your signature :D

Aww thank you! It is rather good isn't it :naughty:

And I am going to Northern Pride a week on Saturday! Gonna have a great time! :boing:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just discovered this thread. Its nice to see that there are some people like I am. I hope this year I´ll go to the Prague Pride for the first time. I´m not able to read all your topics, but if this question was discussed here tell me please - did Mika´s music help someone of you to come out with your sexual preferences? You know, I felt from my childhood something was "wrong" with me with regard to my relationships to women, but I didnt know somebody who was gay and homosexuality still isnt something good in our family (but doesnt matter now). While listening of Mika´s songs I often was surprised that I could write the same and discovered that it isnt something wrong to be different - especially if he wasnt killed after he came out as a gay :naughty: so he hepled me so much to feel good in my own body :thumb_yello:

Edited by Eleenka
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Really shocked too ... Many love and courage to everyone here and also my best hope wishes to stay strong even after those terific attacks ...

Love to everybody ...

<3

• Like 2

What a beautiful tribute... thank you for sharing this<3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm two days late but i didn't had the occasion to post it before. On june the 26th, 2015, the supreme court of the United states rules that all americans have an equal right to mariage.

It was one year ago. Just feeling like we should remember this date as an important one.

• Like 3