What nationality is MIKA?

Blue Sky

Hang on, I'll check his files.

Apparently he's on a passport for the US. It says on his record that since he was born in Lebanon, he has automatic citizenship.

Hang on, I'll check his files.

Apparently he's on a passport for the US. It says on his record that since he was born in Lebanon, he has automatic citizenship.

hehe

he would have to have some sort of citizenship for america as well wouldn't he, because of his father?

hehe

he would have to have some sort of citizenship for america as well wouldn't he, because of his father?

Maybe a dual citizenship. I'm not sure how that stuff works though, if you have to apply for one or if you just automatically receive it at birth.

I am 100% Canadian...although I could get a NZ citizenship...but getting the paperwork would be insane! MUM has dual to NZ and Canada tho...She might move back to NZ actually in the future. That is where all her family is except me. I am the only relative she really has that is blood related in the whole North America. If I was to work in NZ, I am sure it would be easy because I have over 100 relatives there.

it depends on the other country. the US allows people to carry dual citizenships (meaning dual passports as well) with i think less than like 10 countries around the world. i have an israeli and american passport- am citizens of both countries. most countries require you to denounce one citizenship in order to get the other. don't know lebanon's policy.

either way, he's amazing and on whatever citizenship or nationality he considers himself, he's a blessing and a joy.

by the way, he calls himself a mixed mutt. cutest mute i've ever laid my eyes on.

gabi

I know US allows dual citizenship, and UK and lots of other places too. I guess I was curious whether MIKA was considered a Brit or not.

My kids are dual nationals actually one of them has 3 passports. It is based on your parents and your place of birth. You don't get it automatically you have to apply at the relevant embassies. Parents can register their kids at birth or before adulthood, but as adults if you go and try to register, then you have to renounce your original citizenship.

So even though my parents were from different countries, my mum didn't register me, so I couldn't get a UK passport when I was an adult, unless I give up my Aussie nationality. Which I would never do LOL!! But my brother got both.

So is MIKA a Brit or not???:blink:

I know US allows dual citizenship, and UK and lots of other places too. I guess I was curious whether MIKA was considered a Brit or not.

My kids are dual nationals actually one of them has 3 passports. It is based on your parents and your place of birth. You don't get it automatically you have to apply at the relevant embassies. Parents can register their kids at birth or before adulthood, but as adults if you go and try to register, then you have to renounce your original citizenship.

So even though my parents were from different countries, my mum didn't register me, so I couldn't get a UK passport when I was an adult, unless I give up my Aussie nationality. Which I would never do LOL!! But my brother got both.

So is MIKA a Brit or not???:blink:

This is something I'd really like to know. As far as I'm concerned he's British - despite his parentage etc. I think of him as British, as he has grown up here and says he regards London as home, but I'd like to know the official answer.

Maybe someone could ask him? Although it's a bit of a strange question and he might not really want to give out info like that. And 'Britishness' is such a confusing subject these days anyway!

I suspect he is officially dual American/Lebanese.

As far as I'm concerned he's British - despite his parentage etc. Maybe someone could ask him? Although it's a bit of a strange question and he might not really want to give out info like that. And 'Britishness' is such a confusing subject these days anyway!

Once I had an Irish lecturer at the University who said that the word 'British' existed only outside Britain ..:biggrin2: I guess things have changed since then. Perhaps in 20 years time you will all be British with English / Scottish or Lebanese origin:biggrin2: :biggrin2: ....just like in the States you have 'Americans' whilst they are all descendants of immigrants from Ireland, Italy, England..etc, aren't they?

either way, he's amazing and on whatever citizenship or nationality he considers himself, he's a blessing and a joy.

gabi

:thumb_yello:so true...:thumb_yello:

If you live in the UK for a certain number of years, you are normally entitled to apply for citizenship regardless of your parents' nationality .. this can sometimes mean giving up your "other" nationality if your country of origin doesn't allow dual citizenship.

yes. so uk allows double citizenship..?

Once I had an Irish lecturer at the University who said that the word 'British' existed only outside Britain ..:biggrin2: I guess things have changed since then. Perhaps in 20 years time you will all be British with English / Scottish or Lebanese origin:biggrin2: :biggrin2: ....just like in the States you have 'Americans' whilst they are all descendants of immigrants from Ireland, Italy, England..etc, aren't they?

Sort of. If I'm talking about Mika, I say he's British. I don't say "He's Lebanese, but he lives in England..." blahblah. He has that sort of Britishy accent, and strikes me as being very British. I don't really think of people in England by what their heritage is. I don't really think about Americans by what their heritage is, either.

And we're not all descendants of immigrants from the UK and Europe. I have Native American (Indian) in me. *shrug*

To me, it's not really about where you're from, it's about where you grew up. I'm not German. Am I German by heritage? Yes. Do I live in Germany? No.

I highly doubt Mika is running around the world on a Lebanese passport. I think that would be fraught with issues, because of the political strife in Lebanon.

Despite Mika being born in Lebanon, if Mika's Dad is a US citizen and had lived in the US for at least ten years, Mika and his siblings qualify for US citizenship through him. Many countries allow dual citizenship, and many others don't expressly forbid it, they just don't acknowledge it. For example, If you're a citizen of both Country A and Country B and you commit a crime while in Country A, if Country A doesn't acknowledge dual citizenship, you can't take your case to the embassy of Country B asking for help.

Does anyone remember that one interview, from a Scandinavian country I think, where Mika said he was by himself because the band was completing paperwork to be allowed in the US? Well, why wasn't Mika himself completing said paperwork? Unless he's already a US citizen, and can enter freely.

In fact, I may indeed be wrong, but I believe that Lebanon is one of the countries that still has a period of required military service. That would mean that, assuming he's not renounced his Lebanese citizenship, or that there aren't special rules for people who left the country as toddlers, Mika could be required to join the Lebanese forces if he travels back into Lebanon. Again, don't quote me on that - not 100% sure about Lebanon in particular, but that's generally how required military service works.

Interestingly, Mika's two younger siblings would not be French citizens even if they were (I assume) born in France, unless one of their parents is a French citizen. Unlike Canada or the US, for example, being born in France doesn't automatically make someone a French citizen.

Finally, I suspect that after living in the UK for so long, there must be some channel available to Mika, his siblings, and his parents to have naturalised as UK citizens, if they were so inclined. In addition, I assume that Mika at least has permanent residency in the UK, if that's the case, if his children are born in the UK, they would be UK citizens.

Phew! That's a lot of info. I love stuff like this, because I am in fact a giant nerd. :biggrin2:

A nationality nerd...like me.

I travel with 7 passports for me and three kids. I try to keep up on dual nationality stuff. I agree that being on a Lebanese passport might be difficult. Next thing is I wonder if they evacuated from Lebanon to France under some arrangement like asylum/refugee status. Or whether they just looked at a map and said Let's try Paris.

Sorry. It's not so much the personal "I need to know about MIKA" as much as the "I am curious about nationality arrangements"