MIKA in Seattle, WA at the Showbox SoDo

dcdeb

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my mom's conference was cancelled, and we hadn't bought the tickets yet, so....yeah. :(

at least i get to go to the Salt Lake City one on Friday! :)

have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! am just spooked that I might not get the Valentines project in time! eeeek! so I left messages with Finkster and anyone!

we will meet one day!

:wub2: :wub2:

have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! am just spooked that I might not get the Valentines project in time! eeeek! so I left messages with Finkster and anyone!

we will meet one day!

thanks!! :D

i actually talked to her about that today.

Ada (revica) hasn't mailed Jess her 20 or so valentines, and she can't send them off until she gets them all..

thanks!! :D

i actually talked to her about that today.

Ada (revica) hasn't mailed Jess her 20 or so valentines, and she can't send them off until she gets them all..

oh dear.........

I hope this works out........otherwise I will think of an idea and it will be on behalf of ALL OF US!

Because of issues and times and logistics.......I will be delivering the Valentines project in Vancouver not Seattle...........Its the best way because of time etc etc etc

Suzanne:) I will take pics etc tho!

hmmm....I thought I posted a post here, but it is not here. Must have misplaced it. :naughty: So, one week from today, at this time we will be on a lovely date with Mika. hmmmm.....what song will he be singing now?

So, when will everyone be queuing? We know that Suzanne will be there around 5:30 or so. Anyone else have definite plans yet?

OMG....this is from my hometown newspaper. :shocked: Who would have ever thunk Mika would be in the Olympian? That is unbelievable!!! Thanks everyone for sharing. Seattle has been sold out for quite a while. Guess I better start selling my extra tickets.

A VALENTINE FOR MIKA?

This Is A Really Nice Review:

http://www.theolympian.com/entertainment/story/351734-p2.html

The Reviews Are Getting Better & Better!

Mika's Tour Is A Smash Hit!

THIS IS A "PRE-VIEW" FOR THE CONCERT IN SEATTLE, WASHINGTON ON FEB. 14th.

By Howard Cohen

Doing things his own way works for tough Grammy-nominated singer

c Clatchy Newspapers

The sound of Mika Penniman's debut album, "Life in Cartoon Motion," celebrates the aspects of pop music that sullen, corporate-created artists have studiously avoided during recent years: the fun, melody, creativity and dignity.

The album blends arch, witty storytelling with catchy tunes that are disco-oriented one moment, glam rock the next, with multitracked vocal chorales recalling prime Queen without the heavy metal bombast.

The hit single "Grace Kelly" even offers a shout-out to the late, flamboyant Queen frontman Freddie Mercury.

Fans can catch the performer when he plays Seattle's Showbox SoDo at 7 p.m. Feb. 14.

Despite mainstream pop radio program directors' obsession with machine-driven urban fare, Mika, 24, has succeeded in the United States.

"Life in Cartoon Motion" has offered hits "Grace Kelly" and "Love Today." And "Lollipop," an album track, has seen its share of downloads, according to Joel Klaiman, senior vice president of promotion and artist development for Universal Republic. "Relax (Take It Easy)" released Dec. 12 of last year.

On Sunday, Mika will go up against his fellow musicians at the Grammy Awards.

"Love Today" is nominated for best dance recording, and the artist is competing with the likes of Rihanna, Justin Timberlake and The Chemical Brothers.

Mika's Day-Glo music, not unlike Scissor Sisters' retro dance pop which similarly went over big in England before inching across the Atlantic, "creates different challenges for a label," Klaiman says.

"It's not a record flying up the urban charts, or he's not an artist getting exposure on 'American Idol' ... but music fans who can hear it appreciate that it's catchy and fun and bringing back a great old-time pop quality."

The Beirut-born, Paris and London-bred singer, who designed his colorfully illustrated CD booklet with older sister Yasmine, says he is up for the challenge of competing for a spot on the pop charts. He already has been through enough in his brief life to make that battle seem insignificant.

Mika - the third of five children born to a U.S. businessman and a Lebanese mother - and his family fled to France in 1984 at the height of the Lebanese civil war.

His father had been held pris oner for seven months inside Kuwait's U.S. embassy.

A few years later, at age 9, Mika was living in London with his family.

Dyslexic and bullied, Mika stopped speaking. His mother suggested music as therapy, and he became something of a child singing prodigy, performing at the Royal Opera House and finding his voice in popular music.

His parents' record collection served as fuel: Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Serge Gainsbourg, French songs, Arabic music. Today, Mika speaks English, French and some Spanish, he says.

Despite his musical gifts, nobody in the business knew what to do with him, and he faced constant rejection. Thus was born "Grace Kelly," a defiant song to the music business honcho who offered Mika a deal, but only if he changed his style to sound more like other established pop singers such as Craig David or Robbie Williams.

"The music I was making was seen as unmarketable and unsellable and unplayable on radio. Every door was slammed in my face. I was rejected by the indie scene because I had a fascination with the 3 1/2 -minute pop song, and I really wanted to make songs that told stories but were intensely melodic. I was working for a big music company in the U.K. who told me they'd support me if I agreed to write some more normal hit pop songs, and that made no sense to me. So I went home furious and instead of telling them where to stick it I wrote "Grace Kelly" instead. That's where the line, 'Should I bend over/Should I look older/Just to be put on the shelf?' comes from."

Two weeks later, Mika says, he met Miami-based singer-songwriter Jodi Marr, and the two formed an alliance.

"I was only able to go to Miami d uring my vacations, and so we ended up writing a new bridge in Miami while sitting in Barry Gibb's studio, Middle Ear, and hiding in people's studios from the warehouse district in North Miami to Barry's studio... We got caught and thrown out of there. It took us about a year to demo four songs. It was a crash course for me in how to make pop songs."

Universal Republic ultimately allowed Mika to make the sort of album he envisioned.

"From the minute we heard it, we knew it was special," Universal's Klaiman says. "In today's changing landscape of music, we often look for things that are special, diverse, eccentric, and I think Mika embodies all of that."

see the show

What: Singer-songwriter Mika performs pop and indie rock

Where: Showbox SoDo in Seattle

When: 7 p.m. Feb. 14

Tickets: Start at $25

More information: www.ticketmaster.com, www.mikasounds.com/uk.php

OMG....this is from my hometown newspaper. :shocked: Who would have ever thunk Mika would be in the Olympian? That is unbelievable!!! Thanks everyone for sharing. Seattle has been sold out for quite a while. Guess I better start selling my extra tickets.

Fab!!!!:) woohoooooooo!!

I am just waiting for the Vancouver article! probably next week! I will email appropriate folk to make sure they do an article!

Lilmot! its a great article and in Olympia! wow! wowowow!

Fanstastic! Vancouver is sold out too!

Slip a concert ticket in that Valentine's card

PREV 1 of 3 NEXT

This year it looks like Seattle-area entertainment venues are determined to offer romantics more Valentine's Day options than just a fancy dinner. Forget the long-stemmed roses — here's a veritable mixed bouquet of classical, comedy and musical fun, yours for the picking on Feb. 14.

Pop, rock and jazz

Mika: "Relax, Take It Easy," as he sings in one of his songs, with Mika, the latest British pop sensation, playing Valentine's Day night at the Showbox SoDo. But it probably won't be so relaxed an evening, because singer/songwriter/keyboardist Mika is known for campy, flamboyant performances. He was even nominated for a Grammy in the dance-music category for his song "Love Today." He's a little guy with a big heart, with such compassionate songs as "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" (for his American-born mom) and "Billy Boy," about a gay romance.

8 p.m. Thursday, Showbox SoDo, 1700 First Ave. S., Seattle; $25 (206-628-0888 or http://www.ticketmaster.com; information, 206-628-3151 orwww.showboxonline.com).

heee heeee Billy Boy !!!!!!!!!(oops!) heeheee:roftl: :roftl: :roftl: and several other oopsies

SIX SLEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!

ps anyone going to the Van gig the next day....please see me afterwards, might have something to give you!

SEE YOU LATER! LOVE SUZANNE:):wub2: :wub2:

I AM!!! See you after the Seattle concert? Or what are you giving away???

Ha Ha. I shouldn't have quoted your "six sleeps" after you posted "five sleeps" or I might get confused how many sleeps will I have?

BTW, I am bringing Valentine Day's gift bags for each band member and for Andy too. During the queue I thought we could write some more funny valentines too. I have extra materials. I hope the weather is not too bad. I want to have fun in the queue. Are there only 8 MFCers going to Seattle? Can't wait to meet everyone!

Ha Ha. I shouldn't have quoted your "six sleeps" after you posted "five sleeps" or I might get confused how many sleeps will I have?

BTW, I am bringing Valentine Day's gift bags for each band member and for Andy too. During the queue I thought we could write some more funny valentines too. I have extra materials. I hope the weather is not too bad. I want to have fun in the queue. Are there only 8 MFCers going to Seattle? Can't wait to meet everyone!

lovely:) I am going to get some valentines too for the band members as well:) Mika will get his goodies in Vancouver:):wub2:

I am sorry I have to be so late like 5:30 but that is all I can do:)

we will have a wonderful time:wub2: :wub2:

I was at a show at Showbox at the Market last night, and asked a guy who works there how many people this venue fits. It fits 1700. Wooo less than 2000!!!!!

Sounds rather intimate, huh? Where do you plan to stand, Jessika? Squashed at the front center?

FOUR DAYS LEFT!!!

I can't wait. I've been reading all the reviews and am getting really excited.

I'm glad it's more of an "intimate" setting. just me and 1.699 of my closest freinds!! Ha ha ha, If by chance I don't get there soon enough to get close to the front, then the view shouldn't be too bad.

I am making a shirt that says BIG GIRL in rhinestones, cuz I am one!!

:mf_lustslow: