Greg Wells interview Nov 12, 2007

Minako

I'm probably displaying my ignorance here, but I've never really understood why he was in pdp- what was there to mix/produce/whatever. Anyone know?

Further to what Sara said I think Greg has been an active Mika supporter outside the studio. Did you hear about him subbing for Cherisse in Vancouver last year?

I think I must have been misinformed about the apples...

All the apples were head over heels in January 2007. A lot can happen in 2 years :naughty:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I could bump this 3d, 'cause I came across this article on the net by chance and found it interesting, wanted to post it, then realized it was already posted...

Here's the whole article:

LAPTOP ROCKERS

INTERVIEW: GREG WELLS

*Monday, November 12, 2007

Multi-instrumentalist Greg Wells is a Canadian record producer, musician, mix engineer, and songwriter based in Los Angeles. Once starting out as a session musician, Greg is now producing, mixing, and writing for artists as diverse as the #1 MySpace band OneRepublic, death metal outfit Otep, and rapper Timbaland. 

Collaborating with names such as Pink, The Deftones, The Pussycat Dolls, Jars of Clay, and legendary music figures Carole King, Aerosmith and Elton John, Greg became one of the hottest producers around. CD's featuring Greg's songs have sold over 50 million units worldwide!

Producing Mika's album "Life in Cartoon Motion" Greg recently set another landmark in his career: the #1 worldwide hit "Grace Kelly". We wanted to know more! 

Congratulations with the success of Mika's album "Life in Cartoon Motion".

Already more than 3,5 million copies sold. Did you expect this to happen? 

"I knew that Mika would get noticed in a big way because he's far too talented but I never could have predicted this kind of success, especially in today's climate of people stealing music. 3.5 million units sold probably means that over 25 million people actually have the record!" 

As a producer your creative input probably differs with each artist you work with. Can you describe your role creating this album? 

"I view my role as being similar to a movie director. Sometimes a director on a film has to get involved with script rewrites, with firing actors and getting new ones, with changing locations, etc - and sometimes the script requires no changes and the actors are brilliant. At that point the director's job is simply to make the movie. My role changes dramatically from record to record. With Mika, the "script" was so strong to begin with, meaning his songs were amazing from the demos, that we immediately jumped into recording when we first got together. The very first thing we did was "grace kelly", which was kind of an audition for both of us to see if we worked well together!"

Who was the funniest and who was the most serious artist you have worked with? Is there someone you regret to have worked with?

"I'm drawn to artists and art that have some dark sense of humour because for me when things get too serious, I feel like I'm painted into a corner. The funniest artist was Rufus Wainwright - he's incredibly smart and witty, also devastatingly talented of course. 

"The most serious artist I've worked with would have to be Otep, but she's also really funny. 

"There are plenty of people I regret working with! A lot of those names on my resume are from earlier in my career as a studio musician, when I would get hired to play on a record and often not know who the artist was until I walked through the studio door. I must say that even though I'm embarrassed to have my name next to their names, simply because I think I'm cooler than I really am, I learned a lot from all those sessions I did as a hired musician. 

What do you consider the best piece of music you have been involved with?

"Mika's 'Lollipop'."

You own an Apple laptop. What hardware/software platform do you use for your production work?

"I own eight Apple computers; just got the new Macbook Pro, which is stunning. I use Protools because I find it is unmatched in the editing and mixing department."

Stewart Copeland of The Police once referred to you as a Swiss Army knife when talking about your production capabilities. Of course this is a compliment in terms of your ability to solve practical problems. On the other hand a Swiss Army knife is not the first thing you think about when it comes to creative and musical input. Any comments here?

"I guess you'd have to ask Stewart what he meant. I took it as a compliment. I'm very influenced by a book written by Japanese film director Akira Kurosawa, called "Something like an autobiography". In that book he strongly advises that if you want to become a film director, you must immerse yourself in all the great books and films. You must learn how to write, act, light the set, operate the boom mic, run the camera - basically, you need to become a master of every area of film-making to become a great director. 

"I read this book when I was 20, and in my own way have applied that approach to becoming a record producer, if that makes any sense. when I was younger, I could never get the older recording engineers to listen to me so I had to learn how to become an engineer. I've always been a serious drummer, pianist, and guitarist because there was nothing else for me to do in the small town I'm from. Plus, i was completely obsessed with music." 

What are you working on right now, and who's at the top of your wish list?

"I just finished producing a new record by Canadian singer and songwriter Emm Gryner. She's super talented and we've made a gorgeous kind of retro record that tips its hat to Carole King's "Tapestry". Paul Buckmaster arranged and conducted a string quartet on several songs and I'm really proud of the whole thing. This week, I'm finishing the mixes."

"Who's at the top of my wish list? PJ Harvey, Arcade Fire, Death Cab for Cutie, and honestly, Mika." 

http://www.laptoprockers.eu/music/p1/interview-greg-wells/

thanks for bumping the thread marina! this is a very interesting interview:thumb_yello:

Actually Swiss Army knives are so modern and tecnical

http://www.victorinox.com/index.cfm?site=victorinox.ch&page=574〈=E

we are weating a model with a little organ inside :punk:

dear moderators, this is not advertising, i have not connections with this knife brand and i have not connections with producers who play organ for popcornstar :mf_rosetinted:

thx for bumping this, mari. I had honestly overlooked it when it firstly appeared.

I have grown interested in greg, esp. after seeing bits of him in the pdp documentary.

and I am curious about the new album song in which greg plays organ.

his website is very cute. interesting guy.:thumb_yello:

I'm probably displaying my ignorance here, but I've never really understood why he was in pdp- what was there to mix/produce/whatever. Anyone know?

I think I must have been misinformed about the apples...

Oh and thanks for bumping Marina

What a totally memorable thread!! Glad to see it bumped! Suzy, you haven't changed in 2 years!!:wub2: Still the candy-apple!!

thanks for bumping the thread marina! this is a very interesting interview:thumb_yello:

You're all very welcome girls!! :)

dear moderators, this is not advertising, i have not connections with this knife brand and i have not connections with producers who play organ for popcornstar :mf_rosetinted:

:naughty:thanks friend ;)

(i'm waiting for that too...and i'm not pay for advertising or promotion anymore...)

btw,thanks for bumping!!

and i'm happy to discover the sweet message of greg to suzy:wub2:

They are indeed!!

PS: Dunno why but yesterday I read "Swiss Army Knight" ... just now I realize its Knife :roftl::roftl::roftl:

Maybe because Knight would be more romantic ?? :naughty:

:naughty:thanks friend ;)

(i'm waiting for that too...and i'm not pay for advertising or promotion anymore...)

btw,thanks for bumping!!

and i'm happy to discover the sweet message of greg to suzy:wub2:

My pleasure Fanny! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think this has been posted, if it has.... read it again because it's interesting!

http://www.laptoprockers.eu/music/p1/interview-greg-wells/

These are the MIKA bits

Producing Mika's album "Life in Cartoon Motion" Greg recently set another landmark in his career: the #1 worldwide hit "Grace Kelly". We wanted to know more!

Congratulations with the success of Mika's album "Life in Cartoon Motion". Already more than 3,5 million copies sold. Did you expect this to happen?

"I knew that Mika would get noticed in a big way because he's far too talented but I never could have predicted this kind of success, especially in today's climate of people stealing music. 3.5 million units sold probably means that over 25 million people actually have the record!"

As a producer your creative input probably differs with each artist you work with. Can you describe your role creating this album?

"I view my role as being similar to a movie director. Sometimes a director on a film has to get involved with script rewrites, with firing actors and getting new ones, with changing locations, etc - and sometimes the script requires no changes and the actors are brilliant. At that point the director's job is simply to make the movie. My role changes dramatically from record to record. With mika, the "script" was so strong to begin with, meaning his songs were amazing from the demos, that we immediately jumped into recording when we first got together. The very first thing we did was "grace kelly", which was kind of an audition for both of us to see if we worked well together!"

What do you consider the best piece of music you have been involved with?

"Mika's 'Lollipop'."

What are you working on right now, and who's at the top of your wish list?

"Who's at the top of my wish list? PJ Harvey, Arcade Fire, Death Cab for Cutie, and honestly, Mika."

Aaw I do like Greg Wells :wub2:

• 10 months later...

BUMP!!!

I made these some time ago and thought I might share :)

Greg Wells Fans Facebook

Greg Wells' dog, Ella Wells' fans Facebook

I just wanted to share my story because the few people I've told think it's sweet. I think it's boring but hey.

So I followed Greg on twitter when he was @sirgregwells and I read his tweets but TBH, that was only really because he was talking about Mika. I didn't really have an opinion. However, when he said "Ella suggests we go on Twitter hiatus" I completely forgot about his existance almost. But then one day my following list went from 30 to 29. I went through my lst several times but couldn't see who was missing. Then I went to bed and woke up at some rediculous hour (I do this often) in the shocked realisation that it was GREG who had deleted his account!

Greg who didn't show up on my list.

Greg who I'd forgotten about :sad:

I posted on one of the Mikasounds blog and twitter threads "Did Greg delete his twitter?" and sure enoug he had. Only then did I realise with actual, extreme saddness, how much I would miss Greg. Suddenly my twitter felt empty and I felt so horrible for forgetting about Greg until it was too late.

THEN (and I can't remember how I found out) @greg_wells appeard and I was SOOO HAPPY! I actually laughed out loud, I was absolutely over the moon!

Anyways later on in the year, I came home from school really upset because a guy had basically called me "Average" (there was a story behind it to make it really bad but it's not important here. Just know that I was REEEEALLY sad). Anyway, I checked my twitter and saw what @mikasounds had said and then refreshed in case he'd tweeted again so I could quickly write him something in the dwindling hope I'd get a reply, and Greg had tweeted 1 minute ago. So I said "Since you're on, I'm going to ask you a question in vain. When's your birthday?" and then continued tweeting about my sad day. Then I realised there was another tweet so refreshed and sure enough, IT WAS GREG WELLS!

I completely forgot about my appearance and everything and screamed for a bit. Then my Mom's friends came in and asked what I was screaming about (LOL). It was Greg who made me begin to realise that even IF I wasn't average (which I'm not ANYWAY - I am weird which is ugly, NOT average which is forgettable!), I would still have been like all the other "Hot" girls around and liking stupid music and I'd never have known Mika or Greg. It was Greg who made me feel so much better.

my proposal is to start a wellsfanclub! :biggrin2:

I'll be the first in! I started a facebook group some time ago! (oops, I just read that back and it sounds like I tried to one-up you: In truth, I was saying I'd be first in line to be on the GWFC and that I ALSO had started a facebook group :wink2:)

:roftl:

Come on people! (BTW I'm so surprised I managed to miss this thread. I was looking for it in case it existed because I wanted to start one... Only to realise that I was the most recent post IN here :blush-anim-cl:)

Edited by Lolliepop_girl

Greg's MySpace has been gone for years. :dunno:

And I'm afraid I've had the exact opposite experience with Greg on Twitter. I do still love him though. Even if he hates me. :teehee:

No, I only discovered his MS a little while ago. I remember it was between May 1 and Sept 24. I know I was EXTREMELY excited he added me. I requested friendship on his Facebook but he denied me (so lets not bother him ok???) but he added me to MS :boing:

What do you mean you have the opposite effect?

• 4 weeks later...

No, I only discovered his MS a little while ago. I remember it was between May 1 and Sept 24. I know I was EXTREMELY excited he added me. I requested friendship on his Facebook but he denied me (so lets not bother him ok???) but he added me to MS :boing:

What do you mean you have the opposite effect?

Are you saying that he created a new one recently, after he deleted the old profile ages ago? Was this one public or private? And are you certain that it was him for real?

Sorry for the many questions :naughty: but I just find it all quite strange- In 2006-2007 he had one, and he added tons of fans (it wasn't a private profile) but in the end it must have gotten too much and he deleted it all, which is why I find it curious that he would go and make a new one and add fans to it as well. Weird.

Are you saying that he created a new one recently, after he deleted the old profile ages ago? Was this one public or private? And are you certain that it was him for real?

Sorry for the many questions :naughty: but I just find it all quite strange- In 2006-2007 he had one, and he added tons of fans (it wasn't a private profile) but in the end it must have gotten too much and he deleted it all, which is why I find it curious that he would go and make a new one and add fans to it as well. Weird.

IDK how recent it was created because now my computer hates me, I can't get on his myspace anymore :sad:

This one is a public account but I'm not sure it is Greg's Real account. It has pictures but I can't see them (stupid computer!) but if you look "Greg Wells myspace" up on google, it'll take you there.

RE. the stuff in bold: Yeah but isn't that what he kind of did with Twitter?

Besides, who would pretend to be him?

Not to be mean of course but Greg's not like... HUGELY famous so why would someone create a false account?

PS. I'll have you know that page was started BEFORE I went public with my fangurliness! :shun:

Yeah when I saw his tweet, I thought, ooooooo someone's going to be all :fangurl:

:wink2:

What?

Me?

Pfft, I'M not a Greg fangul! :mf_rosetinted:

JUST because I started the Greg Wells fangroup on facebook, created several fanpics, follow his twitter, post in this thread, have all of his Humber College clinic videos, remember most of his life story, was the reason everyone knew when his birthday was, got 3 replies from him on twitter (did the most recent count as a reply? I think it did. EITHER WAY he acknowledged my existance!), am hoping to go to Humber College in Toronto and am posting this long list.............

..... It doesn't mean I LIKE him :roftl:

• 10 months later...