2007 - Star of wonder: Mika talks about his merry future

lollipop_monkey

Edit: this story is also pretty sensationalized. He did not "fly" to London; he moved there from Paris, where he'd been living for 8 years before. His father was not Saddam's "human shield," he wasn't even a technical hostage--he was "virtually held hostage" at the American embassy. And concern for his dad had nothing to do with Mika's school problems, since the two things happened at entirely different times.

I noticed that, too. And maybe some other things are also a bit exaggerated? What kind of magazine is Daily Mail? Reading this article made me so sad...

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for the interview!

I didn't think it was possible,but now I love him even more!

"Generally, the people who like my music are the less conventional ones – the outsiders, the weirdos," he says. "It's amazing how many of us there are."

Count me in!

When I read that part of the article,it reminded me of the conversation me Bexx and Tia had with Andy on the way to Doncaster.

He asked about what sort of fans we thought Miika attracted and we told him that a lot of us were bullied at some point in our lives and that this was one of the things that drew us to him, as he was in the same boat and we felt like kindred spirits, in a manner of speaking.

I thought it was a good article, makes a nice change from all the negative ones he's been getting recently.

I hadn't heard the story of the Christmas tree before, that got to me a bit, how can people be so cruel to a child. Makes me angry when I hear about things like that.Especially as he just wanted to do something nice for them, how damned ungrateful.

And as far as his looks go, they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and he looks good to me, but lots of people do have the same opinion of their looks, that they aren't that attractive, I know, I'm one of them. But personality always makes up for it, and he's got both in spades.

But in the long run the big guy will have the last laugh, and we'll be right there with him.

I noticed that, too. And maybe some other things are also a bit exaggerated? What kind of magazine is Daily Mail? Reading this article made me so sad...

it's quite a well-known newspaper :wink2: don't know if it's trustworthy or not though lol, my mum buys it everyday :blink:

There is a fine line between being humble and being insecure. This article struck me as though he is insecure about himself and that saddens me! No way in HELL is that man ugly. I'd even go as far as saying that he is one of the most attractive people alive...I'd declare this without a hint of hesitation!

I think that we all agree upon that idea. It happens to bear an obnoxious amount of truth to it :mf_lustslow:

:sweatdrop:

i do think M I K A looks bit odd on press shots, he looks much better in candid photos !!!!

but my mum really can't get the idea, cos I asked her in the plane with Mika question, she said that's not gonna happen cos she'd fainted before she gets on board ...... aunties ...

what the hell is gulf war ?? i don't even want to wiki it though Mika's big daddy getting involved ???!! I'd rather wiki about Muse or some tales ......

night night x

although I have to say, when I read about the christmas tree I really wanted to laugh :roftl:

Not because I was being horrible, but because I thought it was majorly, majorly CUTE. And thoughtful, actually. I can see where the teachers were coming from because of all the mess, but it's the thought that counts. I wanted to hug the child Mica so bad when I read that. Just absolutely adorable.

"I thought the school could do with a christmas tree..." :roftl:

Bless.

I had to laugh a little at that!

It's like when adorable little kid does something he's not supposed to do, but it's insanely cute, you can not keep a straight face!

When I read that part of the article,it reminded me of the conversation me Bexx and Tia had with Andy on the way to Doncaster.

He asked about what sort of fans we thought Miika attracted and we told him that a lot of us were bullied at some point in our lives and that this was one of the things that drew us to him, as he was in the same boat and we felt like kindred spirits, in a manner of speaking.

Did you only start really liking Mika once you got to know about his backstory? Or do you think a lot of people can "smell" the misfit he says that the bullies could detect when he was a child?

I find it interesting because it's not what attracted me to Mika at all and though I had my insecurities like everyone else, I fit in fairly well with my peers as a child. In all honesty I was more likely to be the teaser than the victim.

I thought Mika was a bit geeky for my tastes at first but only in terms of fancying him (which was compounded by other factors such as the fact that he is almost young enough to be my son). As a musician and a person I didn't think he was any kind of freak. Once I really got to know him I thought he was seriously cool.

I still find it difficult to imagine that he was ostracized, at least not by the time he hit his teens. I would think a lot of people (especially girls) would be drawn to him.

what the hell is gulf war ?? i don't even want to wiki it though Mika's big daddy getting involved ???!! I'd rather wiki about Muse or some tales ......

Mika's father was in Kuwait when it was invaded by Iraq in the early '90s so he was confined to the American Embassy for 8 or 9 months and couldn't get back to Paris to be with his family.

I find it hilarious that one day Mika just decided that the school needed a Christmas tree so he dragged one there. How cute! I can really just picture a young Mika in little boots dragging a massive tree in through the doorway of school. I bet he just looked at everyone staring at him and was like "...what?"

Did you only start really liking Mika once you got to know about his backstory? Or do you think a lot of people can "smell" the misfit he says that the bullies could detect when he was a child?

Im going to jump on in and answer your question

I dont know, I listened to gk and in all honestly I didnt understand it, I searched him and fell for it then and there, I sort of "smelt" there was something odd and different about him. but something refreshingly similar, and everyone tryed to fill that with the "mikas gay" theory, i couldnt quite pick it, once I found some of his backstory things fell into place, for me anyway, it makes me identify with parts of his past but not like him more that i did before!

I cant explain it I can usually look at a person and know theres something about them, I can be in a sport team and only feel comfortale talk to that one person, find out later that before I came along she was the bottom of the pecking order, I suppose he is right with the whole "smell" theory!

see I didnt do well with disriving what i ment to say! anyway I hope you get what im on about.

I find it hilarious that one day Mika just decided that the school needed a Christmas tree so he dragged one there. How cute! I can really just picture a young Mika in little boots dragging a massive tree in through the doorway of school. I bet he just looked at everyone staring at him and was like "...what?"

I did that too!!! I was about 6 years old, I dragged it into the school hall and decorated it all myself people watched me dragging it and I just kept on walking!, I got (even though it was outlawed by then) a strap for bringing it to school! and had to do 1000 lines for being late for class (for a dyslexic that was hard spelling every word correctly). I never really understood why I got told off though,

I find it interesting because it's not what attracted me to Mika at all and though I had my insecurities like everyone else, I fit in fairly well with my peers as a child. In all honesty I was more likely to be the teaser than the victim.

I thought Mika was a bit geeky for my tastes at first but only in terms of fancying him (which was compounded by other factors such as the fact that he is almost young enough to be my son). As a musician and a person I didn't think he was any kind of freak. Once I really got to know him I thought he was seriously cool.

I still find it difficult to imagine that he was ostracized, at least not by the time he hit his teens. I would think a lot of people (especially girls) would be drawn to him.

No, I was drawn to his music before I set eyes on him or heard his backstory.

When I eventually heard abot what happened to him at school, it made me like him more, as being small, I got quite a bit of stick from a few of my classmates, mostly pyschological bullying than physical, went on for two years towards the end of secondary school. Didn't do my self confidence a lot of good, and for quite a while I was wary of new people. Wasn't 'til I worked in my first full time job after college, that I started to be less wary, good bunch of people there.

But I have always had an invisible wall there, so that people can't get to me like that again, so I guess I can identify with Mika in that respect.

"I surround myself with my family and my oldest friends. I don't let new people in."

Aww... let us in, please !!???

"One day I decided the school needed a Christmas tree and spent hours dragging this huge beast of a tree into school. No one was pleased. ..."

These people don't have a minimum sense of art!!! What a lack of gratitude!!!

"Lots of people don't like me,"

These are the ones who didn't discover Mika truthfully. Maybe they will never do.

"Mika believes that what happened to him at school helped him avoid the trap of becoming the sort of artist Cowell would like."

I like to see how he can change the sense of things and have another perspective of the bad facts that happened in his life. I love this attitude. I hope to learn how to do it with my life!

to be honest, the first time i heard grace kelly, it was sang by a girl in my son's school / year end concert. and i said to him, wow what a song, he said: oh do you want to hear the real version on youtube? and he made me listen to it. first thing i said to him was: you are not serious... a guy sings that song?? i had assumed because the notes are so high that a woman would sing it... then his girlfriend brought the cd over for me to listen to it, and the rest is history! to thank her, i'm taking her to the concert... that's her christmas gift... she doesn't know yet!! hehe i'm actually taking both of my sons girlfriends to the concert! they both want to go so bad, but say they can't afford it, they are still in school... they don't know that we are all going, their moms do, i got the ok first lol :thumb_yello:

i'm putting their ticket inside the life in cartoon motion dvd hehehe

Nice! :thumb_yello:

I hope all of you enjoy the show (well I know you will). Can't wait to hear the reports.

should be interesting to say the least! but i have to wait til the girls are finished school before we can go and wait in line.. should be at bell centre around 16h30-17h00, might not get great seat, but at least we'll be there

"I get amazing things from sketch books filled with their drawings to hand-made kimonos for my toys and this incredible embroidered shirt that I wear."

:wub2:

my reaction as well, kjoshi!

I loved the interview but it's quite sad. I felt very sad while reading it anyway. And he's right, I think all of us, the fans, are outsiders. I think the real fans are anyway. Because there are many people who claim to be a 'fan' but only like him because of his looks (And believe me Mika, you look good!) I think all of us stand out from the crowd and most of us have been bullied, so we can connect to Mika in a way, that's why we like him so much. Because thanks to him we know that we can accomplish something and that we're not as useless as they say we are. At least that's how I feel about it:thumb_yello:

hmm, I have to say that for me this aspect didn't play a role at all...I have never been bullied myself (luckily), but I also never participated in bullying others. What I always tried was to get along well with everyone, and more or less I succeeded in doing so. Of course this results in the situation that some people just can't understand why I talk with THESE PEOPLE, but honestly, I just don't care. I always felt an urge to kind of act as an interpreter (which sadly doesn't always work...) just because I don't understand why people are so cruel and keep on bullying other people.

The most important thing in such a situation is to have good friends who are there for you and who support you. If you have to face it on your own I can imagine that being seriously bullied is very hard to deal with and I feel for every single "victim".

The whole christmas tree thing just breaks my heart. I can just picture this tiny boy carrying a huge christmas tree with him thinking he's doing something nice... and instead of getting the praise he thought he was going to get.. people just made fun of him.

Aww poor little Mika. :tears:

made me wanna cry, too...But it also but a smile on my face, like Cazgirl said. this little episode is just way too cute to imagine!

:shocked: :shocked: He thinks he's ugly??? Now I know for sure he has a terrible eye-sight! :shocked:

He's the most ADORABLE, HANDSOME creature I have ever had the fortune to lay eyes on!!!!!:shocked::wub2::mf_lustslow:

And what does he mean when he says he doesn't let new people into his life?? That sucks! What about us??? We're all new!!!

should be interesting to say the least! but i have to wait til the girls are finished school before we can go and wait in line.. should be at bell centre around 16h30-17h00, might not get great seat, but at least we'll be there

The seats aren't assigned already? Do they have chairs or just everyone standing?

The seats aren't assigned already? Do they have chairs or just everyone standing?

on the "parterre" no seats assigned.

although on the map of the bell center show you rows and seat numbers, tickets have none assigned on the ticket, there is seats, but not on the

ground level is my guess. the bell centre sits about 14000 i think.

i'm assuming my tickets are first come first serve.

They are probably standing' date=' most of his concerts are usually standing:wink2:[/quote']

Not when they're in a hockey arena. The only show I've ever seen like that in Canada was Justin Timberlake because of the way the stage was configured into a cross, with people standing in the four quadrants. Normally the stage is at one end and pre-assigned seats are laid out in rows in front of it.

At full capacity this arena holds more than 20,000 people which would never be general admission. I'm just trying to get a sense of what kind of configuration they're using. Maybe it's going to be a lot smaller than I thought. Wikipedia says there are Hemicycle (2,000-3,000 ppl) and Theatre (5,000-9,000 ppl) setups so maybe it's not going to be much bigger than, say NYC.

BEWARE MASHOOSIVE WAFFLE BELOW!!!

I kinda didn't take much notice the 1st time I saw and heard Mika on tv (my daughter Bumble Bee Vix) wanted to show me him and his new song, and I was being a bit aloof and trying to not like it really (cos I always gave her the time of day so to speak and would listen to her music etc and end up liking it, yet she would rarely do the same in return so I was being a bit uppity about it).

But then after she played it a few times I got to really like it and then started to agree he was kinda cute if a bit thin and I normally like short hair on a bloke. Then I started researching vids on him and interviews etc on the pc and the main thing I loved was his humour, he seemed so different, he did silly interviews, wasn't afraid to do stupid things (like the chubby bunny stuff), then I got taken by all the stories of how nice a person he is and how he appreciates his fans, I liked his closeness to his family and his mum in particular (probs cos of my own abandonment by my mum sorta thing).

the more Mika info I soaked up the more I got to really really like WHO he is, it feels like he shows us himself, it doesn't feel like he hides all that much so I guess it feels a bit like we know him, (though in reality we only know what he cares to share with us).

His LICM album makes me happy when I listen to the melodies yet the lyrics and meanings and my own interpretations evoke deeper feelings. His other material some of it is stunning, one song in particular makes me teary, yet his live shows just make me soooo happy.

This man has given me more than he will ever know, I have gained in happiness and confidence in aspects of my life totally unrelated to anything Mika-ish (well it set the ball rolling in the first place I guess).

These things are why we think so much of him, it's NOT just cos he sings like an angel, looks like an Adonis and has the heart and soul of a saint.

(I know that lot sounds uber sloppy but if I try to define it all that is how it comes out and I am kinda like that, well I WAS and he just brings it back out again and I like it):biggrin2:

Gosh - I can't believe I didn't see article this all day :shocked: Thanks lollipop_monkey!

I view Mika as a bit of a dichotomy. Similar to those HSBC adds I saw all over the London Underground train stations.http://www.yourpointofview.com/hsbcads_print.aspx

Kids don't appreciate Mika being different. He stood out because he was viewed as an oddity. But then his exceptionality is what makes him attractive later in life, when it becomes refreshing to find uniqueness.

He is very blessed to have had a stable, strong and positive family influence. Otherwise...he might be going through the psychological issues that many artistic geniuses have succumbed to (we see many of these modern day virtuosos in the tabloids coming out of rehab).