MIKA au PARC DES PRINCES, PARIS 4 july 2008

BICHE

I don't see why Mika is such a special case when other artists exclusively play large arenas and stadiums and have no trouble keeping fans interested.

Maybe because his music has nothing to do with other artists' music?

You can't compare him with Robbie, who always admitted he was doing commercial music and who, from the start, decided to go for the "superproduction style".

So yes, mika could most likely fill stadiums, yes he could make his show such that the crowd is thrilled, yes of course he could do all that cause he's a great performer. But then it'll be a superproduction, with huge screens and blinding lights and that's what he always said he disliked and didn't want to do. That's why I said it's a matter of credibility now.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe because his music has nothing to do with other artists' music?

You can't compare him with Robbie, who always admitted he was doing commercial music and who, from the start, decided to go for the "superproduction style".

So yes, mika could most likely fill stadiums, yes he could make his show such that the crowd is thrilled, yes of course he could do all that cause he's a great performer. But then it'll be a superproduction, with huge screens and blinding lights and that's what he always said he disliked and didn't want to do. That's why I said it's a matter of credibility now.

You know, I may be selfish, but now to me it's a matter of what I want from his show, not what Mika wants from it :roftl::biggrin2::roftl:

I don't know if you've noticed, but Mika talked all manner of nonsense, especially early on in his career. One minute he's saying how he hates the non-realism of rap videos and the next minute he's floating through outerspace singing with disembodied hands.

I think it was just last month that he finally dropped the farce of pretending that his music is not escapism.

I'm not saying Mika intentionally lied about his desire to retain intimacy in his shows, but perhaps he just couldn't imagine a time when he would be playing stadiums. Or perhaps life on the road and more experience in the music industry has taught him that his ideals are not realistic.

What exactly did he say anyway? I don't remember him talking about this. Did he say he liked intimate venues or that he would never consider playing large ones because he didn't think it would work?

You know, I may be selfish, but now to me it's a matter of what I want from his show, not what Mika wants from it :roftl::biggrin2::roftl:

:roftl: Yeah me too. I really wouldn't mind seeing him at arenas though and I hope that one day that will be standard for him because it will mean that he is successful and his career is solid.

I agree that the Robbie Williams stadium thing is undesirable unless it's a one-off here or there. I don't see him filling that kind of venue outside of France for a long time anyway.

I don't know if you've noticed, but Mika talked all manner of nonsense, especially early on in his career. One minute he's saying how he hates the non-realism of rap videos and the next minute he's floating through outerspace singing with disembodied hands.

What a shortcut! Are you being serious ?

I think it was just last month that he finally dropped the farce of pretending that his music is not escapism.

Really? Must be me that misunderstood all other interviews in which he talks about hyperreality and writing songs for himself from the age of 11 to "forget" about his problems at school.

What exactly did he say anyway? I don't remember him talking about this. Did he say he liked intimate venues or that he would never consider playing large ones because he didn't think it would work?

No but he kept repeating he wanted to do credible pop music. That he wanted to keep things "natural" and "cheap" and "human" and not go into superproduction. I can't list you all the interviews in which he said it by heart, but I'm sure he mentions it in the Wetten Das one and this one is quite recent.

What a shortcut! Are you being serious ?

Yeah. We all know why he really doesn't like rap videos. Because they're unimaginative, materialistic and egomaniacal. But he doesn't say that. He tries to spin it that somehow his big girls are more realistic than the strippers you see in rap videos and it's simply not true. It doesn't matter that the average woman is larger than the strippers, once you have them parading through a market in corsets and cowboy boots, it's all equally fantastical so he's not making a valid criticism.

I could accept that as a satire on cliche rap videos but again, once he's floating through outerspace you can't really play the my-videos-are-so-much-more-realistic card.

Really? Must be me that misunderstood all other interviews in which he talks about hyperreality and writing songs for himself from the age of 11 to "forget" about his problems at school.

He uses the term hyperreality to dispute the notion of his songs being escapism for his fans, as if hyperreality and escapism are two different things. And if they're not two different things, then why did he even invent the concept of hyperreality? Why not just accept the label of escapism and be done with it? It's all marketing spin and it's nonsense, IMO.

It was refreshing to see him state the obvious for a change instead of trying to obfuscate it with a bunch of Mikaisms.

No but he kept repeating he wanted to do credible pop music. That he wanted to keep things "natural" and "cheap" and "human" and not go into superproduction. I can't list you all the interviews in which he said it by heart, but I'm sure he mentions it in the Wetten Das one and this one is quite recent.

"Credible pop music" sounds like more Mika spin to me although I find this concept more valid and a lot easier to grasp. But I'm not sure that his music in this context has anything to do with his live productions. His pop music is credible because he wasn't manufactured by a talent show and his melodies are not sampled from 20 year old hits and repackaged as modern R&B.

His credible music doesn't preclude him from playing to increasingly larger audiences. As long as Mika still sits down and plays at his piano he can keep his productions natural, cheap and human without losing credibility as far as I'm concerned.

His PA had announced stadiums in 2008... I don't think he would say no to a 54 000 people venue anyway, that must be gratifying.

And he probably likes the idea of a huge budget, with which he'll be allowed to work even further on the visual aspects of the gigs.

I really doubt it will connect with the audience though.

Mika on big screens is not Mika and his music isn't made for stadiums, IMO.

Exactly! I agree with all the things you wrote.

Yeah. We all know why he really doesn't like rap videos. Because they're unimaginative, materialistic and egomaniacal. But he doesn't say that. He tries to spin it that somehow his big girls are more realistic than the strippers you see in rap videos and it's simply not true. It doesn't matter that the average woman is larger than the strippers, once you have them parading through a market in corsets and cowboy boots, it's all equally fantastical so he's not making a valid criticism.

I could accept that as a satire on cliche rap videos but again, once he's floating through outerspace you can't really play the my-videos-are-so-much-more-realistic card.

I could be wrong but I think he was talking about his MUSIC, not his videos when he said that life wasn't about girls dancing around luxurious cars... Cause that's also what some rap songs are about (I mean the lyrics)

He uses the term hyperreality to dispute the notion of his songs being escapism for his fans, as if hyperreality and escapism are two different things. And if they're not two different things, then why did he even invent the concept of hyperreality? Why not just accept the label of escapism and be done with it? It's all marketing spin and it's nonsense, IMO.

I won't deny this point. But again, people who listened to what he said and were able to read between the lines like you and I did always understood escapism and hyperreality were the same things. No point arguing on Mika using Mikaisms ;) You're actually fueling my argument here :bleh:

his melodies are not sampled from 20 year old hits

This is another debate :naughty:

His credible music doesn't preclude him from playing to increasingly larger audiences. As long as Mika still sits down and plays at his piano he can keep his productions natural, cheap and human without losing credibility as far as I'm concerned.

And IMO Mika sitting at his piano won't work in front of 54 000 people cause that's not what people expect from a show in an arena.

I won't deny this point. But again, people who listened to what he said and were able to read between the lines like you and I did always understood escapism and hyperreality were the same things. No point arguing on Mika using Mikaisms ;) You're actually fueling my argument here :bleh:

My only argument is that you can't take all his statements at face value, including the ones about his credible pop music. That's why there is so much debate around here on everything from his real name to whether his music reflects hyperreality.

It seems that an assessment of his credibility depends on whether your interpretation of what's between the lines turns out to be correct or not. Sometimes I think, that's obviously what he meant all along and he just has a colourful way of expressing himself. Other times I can't help but think he is intentionally trying to mislead people into drawing certain conclusions.

This is another debate :naughty:

Er, yeah :naughty:

I know what he means though and that he lumps artists like Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen into the credible pop category and I totally agree with him. Mika is actually one of the last of this group of young British artists I discovered, although Mika is more closely identified with pop because he is so shameless about it and mentions it all the time.

And IMO Mika sitting at his piano won't work in front of 54 000 people cause that's not what people expect from a show in an arena.

That's what people expect when they go to see Elton John and Paul McCartney so I don't know why Mika is such an exception.

I agree that it's probably too early in his career to gain that kind of unconditional acceptance from a large audience, but I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Hopefully this Paris thing is a bit of a one-off for now.

I haven't read all of the updates to this thread, but I got sidetracked looking at capacities of UK venues.

Wembley Stadium 60 thou

Wembley Arena 12.5 thou

O2 20 thou

Ugh

This is what I would like Mika to do next year, but I can't find capacity info

That would be awesome! Think he'd ever do something like that?

On the subject of arenas, I just checked for tickets for Mika's Montreal gig next month and while it's not sold out, available tickets are moving into the nosebleed section.

They marked the best seats available with a green X, about as far from the stage as you can possibly get.

2138292511_b2417342f0_o.jpg

2465_0blNZf.png

This is what it looks like when it's full

2046282436_7fc678274b_b.jpg

This is already the reality in places where he's popular.

That would be awesome! Think he'd ever do something like that?

On the subject of arenas, I just checked for tickets for Mika's Montreal gig next month and while it's not sold out, available tickets are moving into the nosebleed section.

They marked the best seats available with a green X, about as far from the stage as you can possibly get.

2465_0blNZf.png

This is what it looks like when it's full

2046282436_7fc678274b_b.jpg

This is already the reality in places where he's popular.

You're right Christine, we have been spoiled. And it's too late to unspoil us now......

I don't see why he couldn't/wouldn't do the forest venues, some people who are ( I would say) on the same level as Mika have played there, and the venues are a little quirky, may appeal?

Holy Moly, that place is massive!:shocked: How many people does it hold?

And do you know how many the "standing" area takes?

I really wonder how early one should go to a place like this to guarantee a front spot...This is terribly sad!:boxed: And I have the feeling that "he" would always keep the standing bit in front of him instead of making it all seated, because he feeds off the frenzy so much. Sigh.

:mf_rosetinted: Maybe I should get into camping and invest in a sub-zero sleeping bag and tent :naughty: so I can combine my new passtime (the afore mentioned future interest in camping) with my current interest in Mika.:roftl: Double sigh. I feel like I've already lost my mind so why not go down a bit more:thumbdown:

You're right Christine, we have been spoiled. And it's too late to unspoil us now...

Mika might change his mind after playing an arena but I really don't think so. There are only 600 spoiled people in Montreal who've seen him in a small venue and when the other 13,000 people go to the Bell Canada Centre they are not going to know the difference.

I think Mika's show will be well received and it will be a career high for him. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing him the next night in a club, I can't help but worry that it's going to be a huge letdown for Mika and we won't get the same show.

I'm as selfish as the next person and would love to keep Mika accessible, but his chemistry with the audience is a two-way street. You can't expect him to keep reliving the past with the same enthusiasm that we do. He's not going to feel the same high he felt the first time he sold out clubs in Canada by playing another small venue. Especially not now that he knows he can pretty much fill up an arena in Montreal, Paris and London at minimum.

I think Londoners can always look forward to special treats because it's his hometown and there will be radio and TV gigs, but unless his second album is a commercial flop, I think his regular European tours are likely to take place in arenas next time around.

I'd like to add though, that the people in that pic seem far more controlled and therefore less "squashed" than all the Mika gigs I've been to.

Maybe it's a canadian thing?

They leave more distance between eachother than europeans?? :sneaky2::naughty: Whatever it is, I much prefer it.

In some of these gigs (specially Dusseldorf) I even felt a panic attack coming up and it was truly awful :thumbdown: . I was even seriously contemplating moving out of the melee just before he came on because I didn't think I could deal with it. Luckily I somehow got over it and stayed (it was a second row with half my body in the front row) and once he came on I forgot it all, but it was really bad.

I think that they need to think of these things if they will have tons of thousands of ppl all mashed up together in mega places like these.

Maybe Elton or Paul McCartney fans are more controlled and less hormonally fanatic as some of the Mika fans, HAHAHAHA!!!

Holy Moly, that place is massive!:shocked: How many people does it hold?

And do you know how many the "standing" area takes?

I really wonder how early one should go to a place like this to guarantee a front spot...This is terribly sad!:boxed: And I have the feeling that "he" would always keep the standing bit in front of him instead of making it all seated, because he feeds off the frenzy so much. Sigh.

I think the setup for Mika's show will exclude the areas behind the stage, so I think it's about 14,000 people. Not sure how many of those are on the floor, especially since it's not seated.

I've never heard of this for our arenas, so I don't know if they'd ever allow general admission floors in Toronto whether Mika wants it or not. It's not safe and it's got to be a huge PITA for the venue as well as the patrons trying to wrangle thousands of people who don't have assigned seats.

There were some people wandering about during JT, but his whole stage setup was very different and people were sectioned off into quadrants rather than many thousands of people all in the same floor area.

I think Londoners can always look forward to special treats because it's his hometown and there will be radio and TV gigs, but unless his second album is a commercial flop, I think his regular European tours are likely to take place in arenas next time around.

I think that he will play the odd 'secret' gig in London too, I am just surmising, but I think it gives him a buzz to play the places he visited as a punter and lots of famous people do this. Didn't Paul McCartney play the Electric Ballroom recently?

Not to say that we will hear about any of these (imaginary) gigs or if we do, be able to get tickets. :mf_rosetinted:

I'd like to add though, that the people in that pic seem far more controlled and therefore less "squashed" than all the Mika gigs I've been to.

Maybe it's a canadian thing?

They leave more distance between eachother than europeans?? :sneaky2::naughty: Whatever it is, I much prefer it.

In some of these gigs (specially Dusseldorf) I even felt a panic attack coming up and it was truly awful :thumbdown: . I was even seriously contemplating moving out of the melee just before he came on because I didn't think I could deal with it. Luckily I somehow got over it and stayed (it was a second row with half my body in the front row) and once he came on I forgot it all, but it was really bad.

I think that they need to think of these things if they will have tons of thousands of ppl all mashed up together in mega places like these.

Maybe Elton or Paul McCartney fans are more controlled and less hormonally fanatic as some of the Mika fans, HAHAHAHA!!!

I had huge fears that Brixton was going to be like your Dusseldorf experience and can't understand these dangerous setups in Europe. I can't believe there haven't been deaths and lawsuits to put a stop to it.

With regards to the photo of the Bell Canada Centre, I don't think it was taken from the front of the stage so I would imagine things would get a little more intense where Mika is shaking his ass 2 feet from the audience. But yeah, there are rules and regulations so that the entire area isn't packed, allowing people to move about in an emergency.

I saw Joss Stone at the Kool Haus where Mika will be playing in Toronto and it was fantastic. I wasn't right at the front, but I was still very close and there was plenty of room to move and dance around. If Mika sells out I expect it will be a little more packed and a few hysterical fans can ruin any situation, but I don't think security will allow things to get too crazy.

When I was at The Police I stepped out 6 inches into the aisle to give some breathing room to the rambunctious girls beside me and security came along in 2 minutes and told me to get back in front of my seat. :thumbdown:

The Canadian crowd control has its good and bad points, but at least you never feel overwhelmed by the crowd and once Mika starts playing large venues in Toronto I won't have to deal with queues again.

Mika might change his mind after playing an arena but I really don't think so. There are only 600 spoiled people in Montreal who've seen him in a small venue and when the other 13,000 people go to the Bell Canada Centre they are not going to know the difference.

I think Mika's show will be well received and it will be a career high for him. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing him the next night in a club, I can't help but worry that it's going to be a huge letdown for Mika and we won't get the same show.

I'm as selfish as the next person and would love to keep Mika accessible, but his chemistry with the audience is a two-way street. You can't expect him to keep reliving the past with the same enthusiasm that we do. He's not going to feel the same high he felt the first time he sold out clubs in Canada by playing another small venue. Especially not now that he knows he can pretty much fill up an arena in Montreal, Paris and London at minimum.

I think you're right about it being a high for him- I noticed that he always mentions how many people there are in the venue "we used to play for 600 and today there's 6000" etc, etc...

Triple sigh.:boxed:

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for him, but I can SO see myself having to get that tent now :sneaky2::roftl:

I think the setup for Mika's show will exclude the areas behind the stage, so I think it's about 14,000 people. Not sure how many of those are on the floor, especially since it's not seated.

I've never heard of this for our arenas, so I don't know if they'd ever allow general admission floors in Toronto whether Mika wants it or not. It's not safe and it's got to be a huge PITA for the venue as well as the patrons trying to wrangle thousands of people who don't have assigned seats.

There were some people wandering about during JT, but his whole stage setup was very different and people were sectioned off into quadrants rather than many thousands of people all in the same floor area.

I'm confused now- that pic you posted, was that not of the Montreal arena? And it had people standing there?:blink:

I'm confused now- that pic you posted, was that not of the Montreal arena? And it had people standing there?:blink:

Yeah sorry, I know you were wondering about Canada generally, but it seems that Montreal and Toronto are different. The Montreal venue has general admission floors but I don't see this ever happening in Toronto. I think if/when Mika plays the Air Canada Centre in Toronto that the seats will be assigned.

I think that he will play the odd 'secret' gig in London too, I am just surmising, but I think it gives him a buzz to play the places he visited as a punter and lots of famous people do this. Didn't Paul McCartney play the Electric Ballroom recently?

Not to say that we will hear about any of these (imaginary) gigs or if we do, be able to get tickets. :mf_rosetinted:

I have high hopes that this will be the case! :wub2: I'd love to get tickets for one of those. The ICA must have been as good as it gets in that regard.

What a shame that I didn'gt realise the importance of it at that point:naughty: .

I had huge fears that Brixton was going to be like your Dusseldorf experience and can't understand these dangerous setups in Europe. I can't believe there haven't been deaths and lawsuits to put a stop to it.

With regards to the photo of the Bell Canada Centre, I don't think it was taken from the front of the stage so I would imagine things would get a little more intense where Mika is shaking his ass 2 feet from the audience. But yeah, there are rules and regulations so that the entire area isn't packed, allowing people to move about in an emergency.

I saw Joss Stone at the Kool Haus where Mika will be playing in Toronto and it was fantastic. I wasn't right at the front, but I was still very close and there was plenty of room to move and dance around. If Mika sells out I expect it will be a little more packed and a few hysterical fans can ruin any situation, but I don't think security will allow things to get too crazy.

When I was at The Police I stepped out 6 inches into the aisle to give some breathing room to the rambunctious girls beside me and security came along in 2 minutes and told me to get back in front of my seat. :thumbdown:

The Canadian crowd control has its good and bad points, but at least you never feel overwhelmed by the crowd and once Mika starts playing large venues in Toronto I won't have to deal with queues again.

Yes, I was expecting lots of trouble in London as well, and it was quite ok. Well, if you exclude the usual pushy suspects LOL, I think that in Feb I'm going to custom make a suit with spikes in it to force everyone to keep their distance, haha!!:roftl:

But yes, it was fine, just the normal excitement of a concert. Nothing like Duss at all.

Yeah sorry, I know you were wondering about Canada generally, but it seems that Montreal and Toronto are different. The Montreal venue has general admission floors but I don't see this ever happening in Toronto. I think if/when Mika plays the Air Canada Centre in Toronto that the seats will be assigned.

Ah ok, got it.

I think that I'd kill for a front row seat! Bring it on! No queuing?!!!!! What a dream:mf_lustslow: .

Other places I would like Mika to play. :glasses2:

Hampton Court ( I was born into the wrong age)

http://www.hamptoncourtfestival.com/home.asp

Warwick Castle

http://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news/Thousands-flock-to-Warwick-Castle.822436.jp

Any racecourse, preferably near me :mf_rosetinted:

http://www.chrishigh.com/reviews/gigs/the_pretenders_2007.htm

If only he had some email add that we could put in suggestions. :naughty:

Well, i don´t know if he said that in an interview or not but TheBlackQueen & i talked with him about it in Barcelona. He asked our opinion about the new venues & bigger places and we both agreed with him we like smaller places instead of bigger ones. He said something like he felt more comfortable in smaller venues. But now..it seems it´s another story :wink2:

Ah ok, got it.

I think that I'd kill for a front row seat! Bring it on! No queuing?!!!!! What a dream:mf_lustslow: .

I noticed someone selling 2nd row centre for the Vancouver show for $112. Time is money and I'd much rather pay $112 to walk in and sit down at 9 pm than waste all day in a queue, especially in the middle of winter.

I think Mika's management should be arranging for MFC or Mikasounds members to get preferred seating as well, but that's a whole other discussion.

Other places I would like Mika to play. :glasses2:

Hampton Court ( I was born into the wrong age)

If only he had some email add that we could put in suggestions. :naughty:

:wub2: I love Hampton Court.

Who needs email? :fisch:

Well, i don´t know if he said that in an interview or not but TheBlackQueen & i talked with him about it in Barcelona. He asked our opinion about the new venues & bigger places and we both agreed with him we like smaller places instead of bigger ones. He said something like he felt more comfortable in smaller venues. But now..it seems it´s another story :wink2:

Sounds like more of Mika's read-between-the-lines statements. He probably feels even more comfortable playing for his little sister and the dog in his living room, but that doesn't mean that's what he intends to do for the next 20 years.

He was probably testing the waters to make sure a hardcore fan revolt wasn't underway. Mika really missed his calling as a politician.