Go to the site:

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssb.html

In the archive on the left hand side, select

2006 december

Click on page 2 in December

Scroll down to

**Sun 10 Dec 06**

MIKA

....Read how damn good Bri thinks he is..

Then at the end of the post click on:

Ed: More HERE

Scroll down to:

*Thu 07 Dec 06**

MIKA'S QUEEN INFLUENCE

.........read it and click on either Mika interview or Full Podcast (I hope it still works)

... Bri was kind enough to write it down as well but that way you can’t hear the enthusiasm in Mika’s voice...:roftl:

.... here it is

Extract from The Island Records Group Podcast: Listen Mika interview or Full Podcast.

INTERVIEWER: Can we just talk about the voice that we can hear on these tracks? Now obviously there’s the classical music background, so was there any point in your life where you were influenced by more modern music, because a name that keeps being bandied about is Freddie Mercury, for example? I don’t know how you feel about that, but is that something that was ever in the back of your mind or will it literally, is that just coincidence?

MIKA: Well you know, my kind of musical exposure was extremely eclectic. I grew up listening to everything from a lot of folk music to a lot of, you know, traditional like flamenco music to kind of like, you know, crazy rock music from the ‘70s. But my exposure to stuff like Queen, or to The Beatles and stuff, actually came really late, and fifteen years old, I was exposed to Queen, and I was on my own. I was on holiday, like, you know, some school trip in Spain, and I just listened to it for four days and I was like ‘This is the most incredible thing I have heard in like…. EVER!!’ And then when I heard The Beatles, The White Album for the first time, I must have been seventeen, which is almost embarrassing but …

INTERVIEWER: That’s allowed. That’s okay.

MIKA: But the good thing is that because I was sixteen or seventeen by the time I heard a lot of those records, I really had the capacity to take them in and kind of learn from them in one huge go and I was really in awe, whereas if you grow up with music, you tend to take it for granted.

Instruction for Mika interview search on Bri’s Soapbox:

Go to the site:

2006 december

Scroll down to

**Sun 10 Dec 06**

MIKA

Scroll down to:

*Thu 07 Dec 06**

MIKA'S QUEEN INFLUENCE

.........read it and click on either Mika interview or Full Podcast (I hope it still works)

... Bri was kind enough to write it down as well but that way you can’t hear the enthusiasm in Mika’s voice...:roftl:

.... here it is

Extract from The Island Records Group Podcast: Listen Mika interview or Full Podcast.

INTERVIEWER: Can we just talk about the voice that we can hear on these tracks? Now obviously there’s the classical music background, so was there any point in your life where you were influenced by more modern music, because a name that keeps being bandied about is Freddie Mercury, for example? I don’t know how you feel about that, but is that something that was ever in the back of your mind or will it literally, is that just coincidence?

MIKA: Well you know, my kind of musical exposure was extremely eclectic. I grew up listening to everything from a lot of folk music to a lot of, you know, traditional like flamenco music to kind of like, you know, crazy rock music from the ‘70s. But my exposure to stuff like Queen, or to The Beatles and stuff, actually came really late, and fifteen years old, I was exposed to Queen, and I was on my own. I was on holiday, like, you know, some school trip in Spain, and I just listened to it for four days and I was like ‘This is the most incredible thing I have heard in like…. EVER!!’ And then when I heard The Beatles, The White Album for the first time, I must have been seventeen, which is almost embarrassing but …

MIKA: But the good thing is that because I was sixteen or seventeen by the time I heard a lot of those records, I really had the capacity to take them in and kind of learn from them in one huge go and I was really in awe, whereas if you grow up with music, you tend to take it for granted.

Star!!! thanks :wub2:

Instruction for Mika interview search on Bri’s Soapbox:

Go to the site:

2006 december

Scroll down to

**Sun 10 Dec 06**

MIKA

Scroll down to:

*Thu 07 Dec 06**

MIKA'S QUEEN INFLUENCE

.... here it is

Thanks suzie, I am wallowing in nostalgia here...for the days when Bri was standing up for Mika after that ridiculous Guardian Review, it seems so long ago and yet only yesterday! *wallows*

Yeah, there's no doubt it helped him get noticed (tho' I've never really seen or heard the similarity myself except for that bit in the 'bridge' on Grace Kelly) and I think he was always accommodating of it because he's clever and he knew it was good PR.

But people are starting to make the comparison a bit less now, I bet he's glad.

Yeah, there's no doubt it helped him get noticed (tho' I've never really seen or heard the similarity myself except for that bit in the 'bridge' on Grace Kelly) and I think he was always accommodating of it because he's clever and he knew it was good PR.

But people are starting to make the comparison a bit less now, I bet he's glad.

Ohh yeh he "used" the Freddie thing for huge promotion , many example from the beginning of last year , then when there was a real danger of being a Freddie cover or X factor type of Freddie cover he backed well away

It was perfect really , he is his own unique artist now:thumb_yello:

...tho' I've never really seen or heard the similarity myself except for that bit in the 'bridge' on Grace Kelly.....

for me it was the opposite: it was hard to find the differences first...including his obsessed little mind...:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

, he is his own unique artist now:thumb_yello:

Let's hope the Scissor Sisters and Leo Sayer comparisons go the same way now. It still irritates me to death when he gets called the One Man Scissor Sisters. :thumbdown: He's nothing like them and so much better than them, well I think so anyway.

I'm really proud of the way he has forged his own identity this past year, cos it can't have been easy, but he has done it, he hasn't compromised one bit.

i cannot waaaaiiiit for the new album, I think it is going to smash his critics into submission :punk:

Let's hope the Scissor Sisters and Leo Sayer comparisons go the same way now. It still irritates me to death when he gets called the One Man Scissor Sisters. :thumbdown: He's nothing like them and so much better than them, well I think so anyway.

The Leo Sayer thing was 'just' on his looks and was bullocks, anyway.

Scissor Sisters comparison is based on the falsetto and the supposed 'attitude' but I never understood that, either. A comparison to Barry Gibb would be more appropriate in terms of songwriting though I have to add I don't really like him as a person...

Funniest comparison ever in the States:

Freddie Mercury, George Michael and Mick Jagger....:blink: I wonder where that one came from...:blink:

The Leo Sayer thing was 'just' on his looks and was bullocks, anyway.

Scissor Sisters comparison is based on the falsetto and the supposed 'attitude' but I never understood that, either. A comparison to Barry Gibb would be more appropriate in terms of songwriting though I have to add I don't really like him as a person...

Freddie Mercury, George Michael and Mick Jagger....:blink: I wonder where that one came from...:blink:

Barry Gibb - yes I agree :naughty: and I take it you've seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdvfmGPDVkk

:roftl: :roftl: One of my fave TV moments of all time!

Vocally I can hear more similarities between Mika and George Michael than anyone else he has been compared with, but Mika's voice is unique and the more I hear it, and the more I hear him trying different styles, the more unique and instantly recognisable it becomes.

In a few years time some other new singer will come along and they'll be saying 'he sounds a bit like Mika' :naughty: Though no-one ever will, completely, of course!

And, I kind of see the Mick Jagger thing, a bit, in his stage mannerisms. I think he was very sexy and animalistic and I think Mika has a bit of the animal in him too. :mf_lustslow:

I think it's just because he was super skinny and jumps around on stage rather than dancing.

That pic of Mika flying at Fuji Rock looks exactly like Mick Jagger.

Leo Sayer :roftl: :roftl:

That was just classsic!!!

Classic, and deeply offensive :naughty:

When my Mother in law said "ooh, he's a bit like a modern day Leo Sayer" when she saw him on the Radio 1 Preston thing, I could have cheerfully strangled her on the spot.

I think it's just because he was super skinny and jumps around on stage rather than dancing.

The yogic flying? :naughty: Yeah you are right.

Mick Jagger was skinny yes, but quite small though. You can interpret that anyway you like, by the way :naughty:

Classic, and deeply offensive :naughty:

When my Mother in law said "ooh, he's a bit like a modern day Leo Sayer" when she saw him on the Radio 1 Preston thing, I could have cheerfully strangled her on the spot.

The yogic flying? :naughty: Yeah you are right.

Mick Jagger was skinny yes, but quite small though. You can interpret that anyway you like, by the way :naughty:

I never saw at at all at any time even 1% like Leo Sayer , just like Borat!!!:shocked:

Barry Gibb - yes I agree :naughty: and I take it you've seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdvfmGPDVkk

:roftl: :roftl: One of my fave TV moments of all time!

Oh, I didn't know that was on youtube.... I actually lived in London when it was aired....(brings back nice memories)

Vocally I can hear more similarities between Mika and George Michael than anyone else he has been compared with, but Mika's voice is unique and the more I hear it, and the more I hear him trying different styles, the more unique and instantly recognisable it becomes.

At first I saw no similarities at all between their music and career (besides getting so much support from mum and 2 sisters) until I heard 'How Much do you Love Me' which sounds like 80s George Michael... I think.

Jumping jack flash....... :naughty:

... I still remember Mika's face on Good Morning America when he was compared to them :blink: :blink:

:roftl: :roftl:

do you happen to have a youtube link for that suzie, I'd quite like to see his face :naughty:

yes, what kind of facial expression suzie ? i would like to see :biggrin2:

doesn't like the over reaction when someone said his voice like james blunt :roftl: :roftl: