REPORTS/PICS/VIDS for MIKA@ House of Blues in Chicago: 05-02-2008

Niki27

One of the best shows I've ever been to, and that's saying a lot coming from me. I am pretty harsh on live acts.

The weather sucked. For those of you in warmer climates, I hope you never have to experience walking in the rain in weather that is just above freezing. Not cold enough for it to turn into snow. Just really, really cold rain with the wind blowing.

The Midway State opened. I listened to their stuff on MySpace before I left and wasn't that into it (first listen anyway). However I thought the live performance was good. A lot of openers really stink it up, but these guys were alright. A toned down version of Jacks Mannequin you could say.

Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like the period between the end of Midway State and the start of Mika was a really long time.

House of Blues is a very cool place to see live music, and Mika thought so too and said it was their favorite venue they've ever played. This isn't your typical box or oval shaped concert place. It's like a mix between a bar, a nightclub and a small arena. First class all the way. Especially the bathrooms haha I don't know about in the girls bathroom, but in the mens they have a guy squirting the liquid soap into our hands for us and then handing us paper towels. Now they just need to wipe people's bu... eh, nevermind.

The crowd was awesome. I've been going to these things for a long time and this is actually the first time I think everyone I saw was really into the show. Any other concert and there are a lot of fans with that "yeah, whatever. nothing better to do." demeanor... but not for Mika. This is one dedicated bunch of fans.

I'll leave the description of Mika's performance to someone else. I'll just say he was great, and takes pride in being a great showman even when the TV cameras are not there. A lot of bands you take the TV cameras away, and their effort goes down the toilet. Mika is FULL ON. And the way they close the show is the best I've seen. Nobody has a fun climactic ending like that.

Oh, and if someone lost a scarf with a bunch of thin colored stripes... I have it and it came in really handy on my walk back to the train!!!! hahaha oops

Thanks for your report emirock! Loved the way you wrote about Mika fans being really dedicated and about Mika being a real showman even when the tv cameras are not there!

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best shows I've ever been to, and that's saying a lot coming from me. I am pretty harsh on live acts.

The weather sucked. For those of you in warmer climates, I hope you never have to experience walking in the rain in weather that is just above freezing. Not cold enough for it to turn into snow. Just really, really cold rain with the wind blowing.

The Midway State opened. I listened to their stuff on MySpace before I left and wasn't that into it (first listen anyway). However I thought the live performance was good. A lot of openers really stink it up, but these guys were alright. A toned down version of Jacks Mannequin you could say.

Maybe it was just me, but it seemed like the period between the end of Midway State and the start of Mika was a really long time.

House of Blues is a very cool place to see live music, and Mika thought so too and said it was their favorite venue they've ever played. This isn't your typical box or oval shaped concert place. It's like a mix between a bar, a nightclub and a small arena. First class all the way. Especially the bathrooms haha I don't know about in the girls bathroom, but in the mens they have a guy squirting the liquid soap into our hands for us and then handing us paper towels. Now they just need to wipe people's bu... eh, nevermind.

The crowd was awesome. I've been going to these things for a long time and this is actually the first time I think everyone I saw was really into the show. Any other concert and there are a lot of fans with that "yeah, whatever. nothing better to do." demeanor... but not for Mika. This is one dedicated bunch of fans.

I'll leave the description of Mika's performance to someone else. I'll just say he was great, and takes pride in being a great showman even when the TV cameras are not there. A lot of bands you take the TV cameras away, and their effort goes down the toilet. Mika is FULL ON. And the way they close the show is the best I've seen. Nobody has a fun climactic ending like that.

Oh, and if someone lost a scarf with a bunch of thin colored stripes... I have it and it came in really handy on my walk back to the train!!!! hahaha oops

nice review! and yes! mika fans are the best! and u can feel it during the show! oh wait...i am a mika fan... so yes...I ROCK! :punk::roftl:

glad u had fun ;)

5 more days for me! :thumb_yello:

WOW.

This was perhaps the best night of my LIFE!!

Got there 12:30 pm, thanks Kjoshi for telling me that

HOB was doing pass the line! Norwalk 174 & her sister & mother

were there, and Taylor, and Alex,so sorry I don't remember

everyone else's names.

I saw Martin for a second when I first walked into HOB, later on Luke, Cherisse & Saranayde came in, signed some autographs before the sound check, they are all so genuinely nice. Cherisse had some fantastic rhinestones in her hair. I had made some large blue ribbon rosettes with "I (heart) MFC" and "Chicago Loves Mika" in the center (thank you Mom of Norwalk 174 for helping sew them!), gave them to the band, and Saranayde gave me a string of Mardi Gras beads. You have to understand, this is totally new for me, I have never asked anyone for an autograph before in my life!

I'm crafty, and I figured I'd be there all day, so I brought some fabric, sequins & stuff. I made a pair of earrings that said MI on one ear & KA on the other, then realized that the purple sequins were dark ,next time I'll make them in a brighter color.

To pass the time we made a rainbow banner that said MFC really large & everyone signed it. (Unfortunately, was not able to give it to him. Maybe I should have just thrown it on stage, but there was so much confetti & mardi gras beads I didn't think he'd see it. We waited 2 hours after the show, never saw any of them come out. The staff there were all telling us different stories, as to which door they would come out of, and that he'd already left 15 minutes after the show was over. -They are very good at NOT giving out information, maybe they're training to work at the FBI.)

It still doesn't seem quite real! We got spots right in the front & center,

so close I could reach over the barrier & touch the stage!

Andy did a little filming before it started.

The opening band was pretty good, I like the last song they did, can't remember the name of it! OK, this is not a very good report, Mika is just so amazing he's kind of fried my circuits! The show began with Relax, after which Mika's zipper was falling down & we were all shouting, trying to tell him, by the time he realized what we were yelling at him, he looked a little embarassed but smiled and gave us the finger in a quite adorable way.

I believe they played the usual set of songs, including Missionary Man. Nikki got some great photos, she will post more later. It was a 90 minute show, but it seemed to zoom by so fast, because Mika never stops moving! I was out of breath by the end of it. It's a really neat venue, the wooden floor was shaking. Even if you didn't really want to jump along with the songs, you did anyway.

There were about 1,000 or 1,500 people, sold out, it was packed, incredible energy.

There were 4 Lollipop girls & 1 Big Girl. I only recognized Mandilambi, but you all did a great job. Well done!

Mika pulled some people up onto the stage at the end, but it didn't get out of control.

Oh, and halfway through I realized Luke was wearing my "Chicago Loves Mika" rosette! That just made my day.

to be continued.

Part 2 of my report:

I think during Love Today Mika reached out & I TOUCHED HIS HAND! Oh, and he picked up some Mardi Gras beads people were throwing on the stage & put them on, then he smiled & flashed his tummy for a second,with a very mischevious grin, the crowd loved it.

He had the audience singing back a lot of phrases in Stuck in The Middle,& others, told us the venue was 'Delicious', and something about not getting radio play, but the tours get better every time he comes back to this city.

After it was over they (the band) didn't really take a proper bow, or do an encore. Oh well. HOB seemed to be trying to hustle everyone out the door so quickly, because it was an all ages show, they said something about curfew.

So disappointed we didn't get to see him or the band afterwards.

We thought with the weather being bad, and the fact they had to drive to Minneapolis for Wed. night show, maybe they did leave right away.

After seeing so many videos & photos of the concerts form all over the world, it kind of seems familiar yet surreal. Quite fabulous. Unforgettable. Wow. Mika has so much charisma, he just draws you like a magnet. I tried to watch the whole band, but my eyes kept going back to him. He is, of course, outrageously gorgeous, and there were some notes he sang that took my breath away, I forgot the words that I was singing and just stared, it didn't seem possible that such a beautiful voice was coming out of a human being, and just 10 feet away!

The whole band gave so much energy and enthusiasm,

it was THE BEST CONCERT EVER!!!!

It's now 4 am, I hope this all makes sense, and if you ever have even the slightest chance of seeing one of Mika's shows, I would vote you GO!

You will be glad you did! He gives 1000%. (How long does it take him to catch his breath & calm down after a show? I don't think I'll sleep for days!) have to study for my math exam which is in less than 5 hours, wish me luck.

Leona

Part 2 of my report:

I think during Love Today Mika reached out & I TOUCHED HIS HAND! Oh, and he picked up some Mardi Gras beads people were throwing on the stage & put them on, then he smiled & flashed his tummy for a second,with a very mischevious grin, the crowd loved it.

He had the audience singing back a lot of phrases in Stuck in The Middle,& others, told us the venue was 'Delicious', and something about not getting radio play, but the tours get better every time he comes back to this city.

After it was over they (the band) didn't really take a proper bow, or do an encore. Oh well. HOB seemed to be trying to hustle everyone out the door so quickly, because it was an all ages show, they said something about curfew.

So disappointed we didn't get to see him or the band afterwards.

We thought with the weather being bad, and the fact they had to drive to Minneapolis for Wed. night show, maybe they did leave right away.

After seeing so many videos & photos of the concerts form all over the world, it kind of seems familiar yet surreal. Quite fabulous. Unforgettable. Wow. Mika has so much charisma, he just draws you like a magnet. I tried to watch the whole band, but my eyes kept going back to him. He is, of course, outrageously gorgeous, and there were some notes he sang that took my breath away, I forgot the words that I was singing and just stared, it didn't seem possible that such a beautiful voice was coming out of a human being, and just 10 feet away!

The whole band gave so much energy and enthusiasm,

it was THE BEST CONCERT EVER!!!!

It's now 4 am, I hope this all makes sense, and if you ever have even the slightest chance of seeing one of Mika's shows, I would vote you GO!

You will be glad you did! He gives 1000%. (How long does it take him to catch his breath & calm down after a show? I don't think I'll sleep for days!) have to study for my math exam which is in less than 5 hours, wish me luck.

Leona

thank you! im about to go to sleep but read your report ;) wonderful! sounds great! glad u had fun :punk:

good luck tomorrow!...or today... =P

Yes - it makes the concert even more enjoyable when you can spaz out like the rest of them and not feel embarrassed. Mika fans are the best - we hear it all the time! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience emirock! :punk:

WOW.

This was perhaps the best night of my LIFE!!

Got there 12:30 pm, thanks Kjoshi for telling me that

HOB was doing pass the line!

What does this mean exactly? :blink: Because if it means coming earlier to get the privilege of not being in a cold, long wait in line, then I'm going to House of Blues the next time he's in town!

Oh, and halfway through I realized Luke was wearing my "Chicago Loves Mika" rosette! That just made my day.

to be continued.

He's my favourite...by far the most considerate and sweetest keyboardist I've ever met. :wub2:

Part 2 of my report:

He is, of course, outrageously gorgeous, and there were some notes he sang that took my breath away, I forgot the words that I was singing and just stared, it didn't seem possible that such a beautiful voice was coming out of a human being, and just 10 feet away!

Funny you should mention you forgot the words...I was embarassed to admit that once (being a die-hard fan like I am). But now I realize it's because you become so mesmerized you forget everything....and then of course you "snap" back into reality when the person besides you steps on your foot or the girl behind you yells " You're so hot Mika!" :naughty:

Thanks for giving us a bit of what you experienced, Leonita! Loved it!

I'm wondering how to get this banner to him?

I wish they would give us an address where we could send things.

It didn't occur to me until much too late, I could have given it to the guy from Midway State, and asked him to deliver it, I saw him when I was buying their CD & he signed it, he said Mika had already gone to the hotel. But we didn't want to believe that!

I will get it to him somehow.

Wouldn't it be nice if, once MFC is officially official, there was someone who could just tell us which door to wait outside of, or if they've really already left, or a designated person we could give things to that would really give them to Mika & the band? It feels kind of bad, when you hear how people got to meet him in other cities & then it just doesn't happen at the show you go to.

Oh well. that is just a smidgeon ( a smidgeon?!! ) of regret next to the Mount Everest of happiness and fun and good memories of the show!

I think I need to explain this a little, I mean the knitty thoughts....In dutch we say when a guy has his fly open: "Don't let the little bird get escaped...":naughty:

Glad it wasn't just me who thought that. :naughty::roftl:

Great reports everyone! :biggrin2:

Funny you should mention you forgot the words...I was embarassed to admit that once (being a die-hard fan like I am). But now I realize it's because you become so mesmerized you forget everything....and then of course you "snap" back into reality when the person besides you steps on your foot or the girl behind you yells " You're so hot Mika!" :naughty:

Thanks for giving us a bit of what you experienced, Leonita! Loved it!

I've done that before too, you're just singing along having fun and then Mika's looking you right in the eye and somehow the words get all jumbled up and makes you look like a bad fan who doesn't even know the words. :naughty:

The second he looks away all the words come flooding back - it's not fair.

It didn't occur to me until much too late, I could have given it to the guy from Midway State, and asked him to deliver it, I saw him when I was buying their CD & he signed it, he said Mika had already gone to the hotel. But we didn't want to believe that!

I will get it to him somehow.

Wouldn't it be nice if, once MFC is officially official, there was someone who could just tell us which door to wait outside of, or if they've really already left, or a designated person we could give things to that would really give them to Mika & the band? It feels kind of bad, when you hear how people got to meet him in other cities & then it just doesn't happen at the show you go to.

Oh well. that is just a smidgeon ( a smidgeon?!! ) of regret next to the Mount Everest of happiness and fun and good memories of the show!

Where was John (tour manager) or Jerry Blair (personal manager) all this time? They've normally been quite visible at the previous concerts and have always been very helpful to MFCers

This is how "Pass the line" works- you go in & buy an entree for lunch, you can take it to go or eat there.They stamp your receipt, and for every entree, one person gets to "pass the line"- you don't get a number, but you can 'camp out' inside the lobby of the venue instead of waiting outside. Or, you could buy some "House of Blues" T-shirts or other merchandise & get that receipt stamped.

All the Pass the Line people get to go in ahead of the rest. I bought 4 turkey sandwiches, ate one, gave the rest away, cost about $40, but it was absolutely worth it. The thing was, they had a private party in the restaurant today, so they were closing it to the public @2pm.

The other thing you could do is, buy lunch, leave, come back right before doors open & show them the receipt & get to enter before the rest of general admission. (so sorry, they all had to wait out side in the rain tonight)

I would definitely recommend this system!

This is how "Pass the line" works- you go in & buy an entree for lunch, you can take it to go or eat there.They stamp your receipt, and for every entree, one person gets to "pass the line"- you don't get a number, but you can 'camp out' inside the lobby of the venue instead of waiting outside. Or, you could buy some "House of Blues" T-shirts or other merchandise & get that receipt stamped.

All the Pass the Line people get to go in ahead of the rest. I bought 4 turkey sandwiches, ate one, gave the rest away, cost about $40, but it was absolutely worth it. The thing was, they had a private party in the restaurant today, so they were closing it to the public @2pm.

The other thing you could do is, buy lunch, leave, come back right before doors open & show them the receipt & get to enter before the rest of general admission. (so sorry, they all had to wait out side in the rain tonight)

I would definitely recommend this system!

Thank you! That totally sounds worth it! :thumb_yello: (Wish they did that everywhere...)

Thanks for the reports! It sounds like it was another awesome show!! I'm getting even more excited for the 28th now, I was hoping to wait outside to try and meet Mika and the band, but it seems to get harder and harder, I don't know whether to wait now if people are going to tell everyone different stories, like he left etc. Looking forward to seeing some pics and video.

Oh ok maybe I will!!! lol

It is 5am and my sister, Chris, and I just got home....so a review will have to wait for the morning (sorry!)

...but I have SO much to tell you! I would write the review now, but I can hardly keep my eyes open. So I will be back in a couple of hours!

Amanda! glad you got home safely. You were adorable on the stage! I think you could be a professional Lollipop girl and Mika should hire you to tour the globe with him!

Leona

It is 5am and my sister, Chris, and I just got home....so a review will have to wait for the morning (sorry!)

...but I have SO much to tell you! I would write the review now, but I can hardly keep my eyes open. So I will be back in a couple of hours!

Hey Lollipop Girl! I'm sure you're tired, so get a few hours of sleep so you can give us the most detailed, fabulous report with tons of pics, please.

Glad you got home safely (heard about the weather:thumbdown: )

Yay, try to get some sleep now...we'll all be waiting patiently...:punk:

leonita, thanks for your review full of emotions! Luved it!!! :thumb_yello:

sounds like another great show, and sorry, but I don't care if you are tired....

GET BACK NOW AND REPORT YOU PEOPLE!!:naughty:

Blue Sky has spoken! :naughty:

Thanks so much for the reports so far, tolo, emi and leona -- did I

miss anyone? I so wish I could have gone to this show -- 1500 people?

*sigh* Sounds perfect.

After seeing so many videos & photos of the concerts form all over the world, it kind of seems familiar yet surreal.

Isn't that the truth? That's been my experience at each show. You

know, I watch so many youtube vids that as I've been standing in the

audience, knowing exactly what comes next... it's been, as you say,

surreal. And yet, it doesn't really diminish the experience at all... it

makes it better somehow, for me at least.

Yeah, I wish we had an address... that ought to be one of the next

things we figure out.

BTW, good luck with your test!

:yay: Amanda's back! OK, we'll be patient -- but not very happy about

it! :wink2:

Can't wait to hear every last detail!

dcdeb